• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

Chat is back...   06/22/2017

In order to conserve resources, we've disabled the global chatbar at the bottom of the site. Instead, the Chat can be accessed by clicking the top navigation tab. It will launch a new window. If you're not seeing this behavior, try clearing your browser's cache.
Cyclone Boom

list
Award Category Ideas: Trixies 2015-2016

57 posts in this topic

Trixies 2015-2016 Banner

Award Category Ideas - 

Much like the Oscars, the Trixies just wouldn't be complete without The Awards themselves! 
Here is a thread where you can suggest what default categories you'd like to see... :read:

The Trixie Awards traditionally feature a selection of categories which can be used to submit nominations for. These have ranged from content on the STEX, creativity in the CJs, to wide-ranging contributions in the forums. With the previous 12 editions of the Trixies, the categories have been pre-defined by the admins, and the only method of suggesting different awards was by submitting a custom nomination.

So starting for the 2015-2016 Trixies, prior to the start of nominations, we're opening up the suggestions to the community!

Last time the Trixies were held, the categories were simplified in an attempt to make the process less overwhelming. When in actual fact, all this did was the precise opposite. There were fewer nominations per category, and less variations of each type of award. For instance with custom content and CJs, there were only more general themes, which encompassed the more niche categories.

This time, by allowing you all to choose what you'd be interested in submitting nominations for, hopefully it can provide a much broader selection to choose from. This should also help with searching for possible candidates, as it will give a clearer perspective.

In other words, we're asking you to nominate awards, to be used as the awards! :lol:

Post Your Ideas Below

You may add multiple posts with multiple ideas, or single posts with single ideas -- it's completely your choice...
Just remember we're looking for the title here, for example:

Best Llama Impression
OR
Most Likely to outrun a Llama
OR
Llama Dedication Award

And feel free to discuss and hit the Like button for ideas you, hmm, well... Like. :thumb:

They will then be populated into the below index lists for final consideration by the Llama Crew.

Similar with how it worked in 2014, there will be at least 3 types of general awards:
(There could be more yet, we'll see...)

• Custom Content
    Buildings, lots, mods, maps, and their many variations.

• City Journals
    Types, styles, genres, themes, countries, presentation, etc.

• Community
    Forum awards, site contributions, members, staff, special mentions & moments, etc.

At this stage, ideas don't need to be specific for a particular game or year (2015 or 2016), as most awards can be doubled up for that purpose.
Also don't worry about duplicating someone's idea. That just proves it's a good one!

Whether big or small, we look forward to hearing your ideas! :idea:

Custom Content

An A-Z list of ideas posted for Custom Content awards.

Spoiler

Archaeology Trixie
BAT of the Year
BATer of the Year
Best Attention To Usability
Best Automata
Best BAT Newcomer of the Year
Best BAT Team
Best Behind The Scenes BAT Support
Best Content Creation Artist
Best Custom BAT
Best Custom Lot
Best Custom Lot Pack
Best Dependency
Best Dev Thread
Best Effort In Compatibility
Best Fictional Map
Best Handmade Recreation Map
Best Innovation
Best Interchange
Best Large Scale Project
Best Lot Editor Resource Pack
Best Lotter
Best Map
Best Modular Lot Pack
Best New Uploader
Best Original Lot
Best Overall BAT
Best Post-War BAT
Best Post-War BATer
Best Pre-War BAT
Best Pre-War BATer
Best Relot
Best Terrain Map
Best Tool/Mod
Big Building of the Year
Breaking the Game Award
Explorator Trixie
Hidden Treasure Trixie
Highest Overall Quality
Lot of the Year
Map of the Year
Mod of the Year
Modding Tool of the Year
Most Anticipated BAT
Most Beautiful Small Addition
Most Important Discovery/Innovation
Most Improved BATer
Most Inventive Creation
Most Realistic Creation
Most Useful Creation
Most Useful Dependency
Most Useful Small Addition
Museum Curator Trixie
Nugget of the Year
Quickest Quality BATer
Small Building of the Year
Themed Set of the Year

TOTAL: 57

Takingyouthere likes this

City Journals

An A-Z list of ideas posted for City Journals awards.

Spoiler

Best Agriculture
Best Airports
Best American Style City Journal
Best Application Of Public Transportation
Best Asian City Journal
Best Asian Style City Journal
Best Bonus Content
Best CBD
Best City Journal Development
Best City Journal Startup
Best City Layout
Best City Planner
Best Custom Lotting
Best Detail
Best Disaster
Best European Style City Journal
Best Fictional City Journal
Best Foreign Landscapes
Best Functional City Journal
Best Graphical Artwork in City Journal
Best Grimy/Grunge City Journal
Best Historical City Journal
Best Industrial Work/Creation
Best Industry
Best MMP Use
Best Narration
Best Natural Environment/Landscape Area
Best Newspaper
Best Nursed City Journal
Best Overall Design
Best Parks
Best Photoshopping
Best Planning
Best Portland
Best Presentation
Best Real World Recreation
Best Recreation of a Real World Location
Best Road Map
Best Roadgeek
Best Rural/Agriculture
Best Science Fiction City Journal
Best Seaports
Best Slums
Best Story
Best Suburban Area
Best Transportation Network
Best Urban Area
Best Use of MMP'S
Best Use of Railroads
Best Visual City Journal
Best Working Public Transport
City Journal of the Year
Most Aesthetically Pleasing City Journal
Most Attention To Detail
Most Awe-inspiring City Journal
Most Chaotic City Journal
Most Despotic Major
Most Dieselpunk Looking City Journal
Most Disastrous City Journal
Most Effective Use of Custom Content
Most Efficient City
Most Entertaining City Journal
Most Informative City Journal
Most Pictorial Country Life
Most Profitable City
Most Shattering Environment
Most Visually Realistic City Journal
Most Weird City Journal

TOTAL: 68

Community

An A-Z list of ideas posted for Community awards.

Spoiler

A Picture says more than 1000 Words
Best Aidman
Best Avatar
Best Bulldog Explorer
Best Captain
Best Collaboration
Best Custom Content Creator Thread
Best Dirktator
Best Instructions in Gameplay/Strategies
Best Picture Post in a "Show us your ..." Thread
Best Pun or Freudian Slip
Best Roleplaying Comment
Best Short Answer
Best Tutorial
Best Tutoring on a Custom Content Project
BTW Trixie
Cheer You Up Trixie
In Memoriam
Masters Of Ceremony
Most Consistently Helpful Member
Most Consistently Helpful Staff Member
Most Creative But Impossible to Solve Request
Most Friendly Member
Most Funny "Look what happened to me" Picture Post
Most Humorous Member
Most Informed Member on Real World Events
Most Knotty City or Network Layout Kept on Picture
Most Promising Announcement Fulfilled
Most Promising Announcement Unfulfilled
Most Sensitive Major
Most Valuable Information Collection
Most Welcoming Member
Primus Inter Pares Trixie
Saddest City Builder Moment Caught on Picture
Simtrop Walking Library
The Member Who Was Everywhere
The Simtropolis Triple Crown
We Miss You; Come Back

TOTAL: 38

List of Previously Used Categories

Here's a list of awards previously offered in the default lists of categories.

They're grouped by Custom Content, City Journals and Community, and listed in alphabetical order:

Previous Custom Content Awards

Spoiler

BAT Newcomer of the Year
BAT of the Year
Best Automata
Best Behind-the-Scenes BAT Support
Best Industrial Bat of the Year
Best Lotter
Best New SC4 Mapper
Best Post-War BAT
Best Pre-War BAT
Best Prop Maker
Best Re-creation
Favourite BAT team
Highest Overall Quality in Custom Content
Highest Technical Achievement in Custom Creations
Modd of the Year
Most Anticipated BAT
Most Creative Map
Most Dedicated Modder
Most Dedicated to Acknowledging his Team Members
Most Important Modding Discovery
Most Improved BATer
Most Likely to Become an Architect in Real Life
Most Luminous Illuminator
Most Useful Creation
Most Useful Feedback in Custom Content Threads
Most Valuable Modder
Quickest Quality BATer
SC4 Map Guru
STEX Community Favourite

Previous City Journal Awards

Spoiler

Awe Inspiring SC4 City
Best Attention To Detail in an SC4 CJ
Best Custom Lotting in a SC4 CJ
Best Grimy SC4 City
Best Historical CJ
Best Newspaper in a SC4 CJ
Best Oldschool CJ
Best Park and Recreational Area in a SC4 CJ
Best Public Transport in a SC4 CJ
Best Roadgeek SC4 City Journal
Best Rural SC4 CJ
Best SC4 City Journal
Best SC4 City Planner
Best Science Fiction SC4 CJ
Best Story in a SC4 CJ
Best Suburbs in an SC4 CJ
Best Tropical SC4 Journal
Best Use of Added Media in an SC4 CJ
Best Use of Custom Content in an SC4 CJ
Best Use of Nature in an SC4 CJ
Best Work in Progress CJ
Most Aesthetically Pleasing SC4 City
Most Entertaining SC4 City Journal
Most Eye Catching and Original SC4 CJ Title
Most Miraculous SC4 Mosaic
Most Realistic SC4 City Journal
Unique SC4 Region

Previous Community Awards

Spoiler

Best Sports League
Chat Insomniac Award
Enduring Dedication Award
Friendliest Chatter
Friendliest Forumer
Funniest Overall Member
Helpful Forumer
Highest Quality Poster
Merit of Team Spirit
Most Active Non-City Builder
Most Engaging Off-Topic
Most Entertaining Avatar
Most Improving Member
Most Useful Tutorial
Most Valuable CXL Contributor
Most Welcoming to Newcomers
Outstanding "Show me your..." Contribution
SC4 Technical Denizen
Staff Eye Within the Storm
We Miss You; Come Back

matias93 likes this

I have ideas for City Journal Trixies, these can be applied to both Cities: Skylines and SC4:

Best Use of Custom Content in a CJ.

Most aesthetically pleasing CJ.

Best city layout in a CJ.

Best CBD in a CJ.

Best industry in a CJ.

Best agriculture in a CJ.

Best landscapes in a CJ.

Best suburbs in a CJ.

Best grunge in a CJ.

Best slums in a CJ.

Best foreign landscapes in a CJ.

Best MMP use in a CJ.

Best RHW/NAM in a CJ.

Best seaports in a CJ.

Best airports in a CJ.

Best parks in a CJ.

Best detail in a CJ.

etc...

For me, quite often, the problem isn't to have an opinion to post, but to cut down the post to a size people will read - so to choose what is redundant, what is essential.

So the task given in this thread in my opinion can be answered systematically by making a structure tree going from the general genre over to subcategories and from them to the trixies by thinking of what are elements (and practical operators to separate them).

The general genres are given by the sites sections: Custom Content (STEX), City Journals (City Journals), Community (Forums). To me this seems logical as the trixies are related to Simtropolis.

Just on this, I have an initial question. Should the trixies being equally distributed on the general genres? Means: 20 trixies for CC, 20 for CJ, 20 for community? What can be the operator (or arguments) on this - the argument to say, we need more for this genre and less to that genre? Me, f.e., I would say, I have to take into account, where the most action is. If the most action is on the CJs, to me it seems to be an argument to say, there should be more trixies to them. But you could turn this argument easily into its opposite and say: we want to promote content creation, so we put most of the trixies there.

That would be - to me - the very first question. It's more a planning question, not a content question. 

BUT on the same level there is a second thing - as everyone can see on the starting page there is a second axis or topolical hierarchy forming the site - and that are the games the site is dedicated to.

And to make a step from general genre to subcategories - from this two axis or topolical organisations a question arises for me with three possibilities. I need to be clear of before I can continue.

1. Should all trixies be separated for the different games (regarding all 3 genres)

2. Should all trixies be common to all games (regarding all 3 genres)

3. Should there be a mix of trixies that are common for all game and trixies that are only for one games section (regarding all 3 genres).

And from this:

Should there be trixies for all 4 games there are communities on this site or only for 3 or only for 2?

And from this:

Should the trixies being evenly distributed on the games too? If there are 20 trixies for SC4 should there be also 20 trixies for Cities:Skylines and SC2013 etc. and 20 that are for the overall/general competition?

So these are the questions I personlly think, moderators could help me about first - like putting me and my thoughts on some track I can follow.

Just to get an idear - to see the map, the playground on which I can roll-out my suggestions. The borders. As - f.e. -  I do hundreds of suggestion for SC2013 trixies and those aren't even wanted and I'd better concentrate on other fields.

On operators, basically those can be data and meanings. Data would be = most clicked, most downloaded, most etc. Meanings would be = most usefull, most sexy, most worth think about, most confusing.

I think the trixies are more about - what content means to us? Right? Like @Ln X suggestions above.

Cyclone Boom, _Michael and matias93 like this

Agree with Ln X on pretty much all categories. The only one I'm sorta iffy on is the foreign landscapes one - I believe I'd be the only person even eligible for that award in 2016 if I'm understanding it correctly. (making scenes across multiple cultures/locales). Perhaps breaking it down instead into Best Asian themed CJ/Best Euro themed CJ/Best American themed CJ/Best Landscapes in a CJ would make more sense and get more people involved as well.

I'd also hope that some of the bigger ones such as most Awe-inspiring CJ, most realistic CJ, and of course Best CJ will make a return as well.

A part of the forums that is overlooked during the Trixies I think is the 'Show us ur...' threads. There are some amazing works there, I just don't know how to find a way to nominee members there, I'll think about it. :)

tankmank, Fantozzi, matias93 and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, NMUSpidey said:

How about a Best Spidey Avatar Trixie?

More in general, what about a 'best current avatar'? I say current because it would be a mess to look for past images.

17 minutes ago, JP Schriefer said:

A part of the forums that is overlooked during the Trixies I think is the 'Show us ur...' threads. There are some amazing works there, I just don't know how to find a way to nominee members there, I'll think about it. :)

I really like the idea, but certainly it needs some thinking on the nomination method, and if it deserves separate categories.

And some suggestions, too:

• Hidden treasure trixie: best custom content with less than 500 downloads.
  • Best dev thread, considering activity, richness of content, projects' efficiency (i.e. completion rate), quality of discussion, etc.
  • Best dependency: most useful, overall quality, flexibility of uses (only content intended as dependencies)
  • Archeology trixie: best use of custom content from the past decade (2003-2009).
    • Museum curator trixie: best custom content reuse of custom content from the past decade.
  • Primus inter pares trixie: most helpful non-staff forumer.
  • BTW trixie: best off-topic discussion on a thread (prize to all involved forumers).
  • Best roleplaying comment.
  • Explorator trixie: best recreation done by a forumer that lives in a different continent to the recreated place or object.

While I understand that people want more and more Trixies to be given out, I think going too niche will make two things occur:

• It will dramatically reduce competition within categories.
    • Going too niche could limit from 10+ members down to just a handful, and then we must ask, is that really fair?
    • Surely the greater the competition the greater the reward?
    • I think while @Ln X's list is fairly wide ranging, most of the categories are too niche for my liking.
  • It could allow members to win more Trixies by deceiving the system and 'entering' into many more categories than would be fair.
    • These awards need to be fair, and by limiting competition, user domination is more likely.
      • This surely cannot be good for the community?

Therefore, based on these thoughts I'd propose the following categories for all Trixies:

• Forum Trixies
    • Most Helpful Forum member
    • Most Welcoming Forum member
    • Most Informed Forum Member
      • This one would be for the Current Affairs thread.
      • The member who makes the most justified points, the member who gets people to question their own views and justifications.
    • Most Helpful Staff member
  • City Journaler Trixies
    • Best Visual City Journal
      • Not only would this one encompass Photoshopping and so forth but also CJs also heavily dependent on MMPs.
    • Best Functional City Journal
      • This one is about building and presenting a CJ that not only looks great but works as well.
    • Best Asian City Journal
    • Best European City Journal
    • Best Urban City Journal
    • Best Rural City Journal
    • Best SC4 City Journal
    • Best CS City Journal
    • Best Overall City Journal
  • STEX/Custom Content Trixies
    • Best Custom BAT
    • Best Custom Lot Pack
    • Best Custom Lot
    • Best Map
    • Best Tool/Mod
      • Things like the DLL fix or GoFSH or so forth.
    • Best Re-lot
    • Best Dependency

While this list may seem small I think it will provide competition in areas and increase the fun of the whole event! :party: 

I agree with Mike, having a smaller number of awards would mean higher competition and better quality. If there are too many awards, we might be handing out one per member soon. *:rofl:

Seriously though, I still think that its best to give two awards for CSL and SC4 for the same category e.g. Best Asian City Journal (one for CSL and one for SC4). They are entirely different games like music having different genre.

_Michael and Cyclone Boom like this

Even if I agree on the basic consideration from @_Michael, there's another thing I'm thinking about. In my opinion at the moment there are two significant communities active on this site that are quite different. One is long time grown and old and the same are social structures. The other one is quite young and growing and not that homogeneous. If I'm right, most C:S players new to this site won't even know what the trixies are. My concerns are, that the process from nominating members up to the final decisions could be accompanied very different by each community. Also the games are different. I don't know much about C:S so I'm not shure if a contest between rural scenes in C:S and rural scenes in SC4 - just f.e. - would really make sense.

Or if it wouldn't be wise to think of first what are the categories that are game specific. Maybe 'rural scenes' is good category for sc4, but C:S has other categories that might fit the game better - best flood? Don't know.

That was I talking about. To start with a more general 'drawers' first to sort the idears for the trixies in.

For CJs for example - just for example - making this drawers first:

Technical quality - artistic quality - presentation. Now to take for example the suggestions of @Ln X and sort them in this drawers. Which trixies regard more technical talents (use of mmps, photoshop) what is for artistic quality (creativity). Doing so it's much easier to recognize if the trixies are evenly distributed on certain aspects or also if they really fit all games.

If you don't think first, what are the main aspects of doing a CJ and making up your own 'main drawers' you might end up frustrating a part of the people, those more technicans and those more creators, because you didn't distribute the trixies well on those abilities. Maybe that's what I try to say: you have to think of the abilities first you want the trixies have for.

That's why I think the right way lays something in between Ln X and _Michael.

As there should also be Trixies not so brutally serious. If I remember right there was a Trixie for 'most chaotic CJ"

And in my opinion the trixies themselves can reflect the creativity of this site and what is specific on the artistry done here. And that's where I agree with @Ln X. If you have a competition between different artists you can make a trixie 'best artwork'. But if you have a competition between musicians the same trixie is much to unspecific. Shure you would go for different categories in music. The same to make a prize amongst novellist 'best drama' doesn't make sense.

So on 'best rural scene' f.e. - one had to think first, which abilities of the competitors is requested here. And are the abilities different from 'best industrial scene'. If the requested abilities of the competitors are the same - well - how does the trixie differ then? Is it really only the subject or theme of a CJ we want to have as category?

[Edit]

That's the same reason why to me the trixie 'best avatar' don't make sense. I can't see an ability connected with SimTrop/city builders here.

Cyclone Boom and matias93 like this

50 minutes ago, _Michael said:

While I understand that people want more and more Trixies to be given out, I think going too niche will make two things occur:

• It will dramatically reduce competition within categories.
    • Going too niche could limit from 10+ members down to just a handful, and then we must ask, is that really fair?
    • Surely the greater the competition the greater the reward?
    • I think while @Ln X's list is fairly wide ranging, most of the categories are too niche for my liking.
  • It could allow members to win more Trixies by deceiving the system and 'entering' into many more categories than would be fair.
    • These awards need to be fair, and by limiting competition, user domination is more likely.
      • This surely cannot be good for the community?

Strongly disagree with that, several years ago there were Trixie nominations in many of the categories I mentioned. Besides there at least several Simtropolis members who have produced high quality in nearly ALL of the areas I mentioned; especially from 2015 to 2016. I will admit that "the best grunge" category is probably redundant, while the "foreign landscapes" is probably applicable to one member and we know who that person is.

But a lot of high quality CJ's have entries which specialise in various areas: industry, parks, residential, airports, countryside, MMPs... So the Trixie awards I mentioned are for the sole purpose of giving a nod to CJers who have done special projects within a city tile in one or more of these areas (which I mentioned). The seven SC4 CJ Trixies you highlighted DO NOT do justice to the variety I have seen in 2015-2016.

These numerous categories will help members go through CJs and to spot something special; keep some of the generic SC4 CJ Trixie awards you mentioned but for the love of God there needs to be more specialisation.

There is another reason for the categories I listed, it will help to further distinguish the highlights from SC4 and Cities: Skylines. Members can compare scenes from different games to see the difference between the "best of" from both games.

Cyclone Boom likes this

@Ln X

You're point on variety is exactly what I'm saying. And you've made my point for me in terms of quantity. 

Trixies are special, and by allowing them to be given to every CJ imaginable it destroys the value of them and the work hat people put into their work. Generic categories will allow all City Journals to compete and for the best to win. That's surly the point? If you have have 'best grunge', then I can only think of a maximum of 2 or three CJs from the past few years that would be worthy of a Trixie in the category. That means they'd have a 33% chance of winning a Trixie. Surely that destroys the value of them?

Cyclone Boom and Haljackey like this

@Ln X IMO, the list you have is quite excessive either. A Trixie isn't something you give because one image looks good. Every CJ has its own unique style and player specializes in many fields as I have seen like some players are more into transport systems rather industrial or mmps. But giving them every award for each is kinda missing the point. A good CJ is not composed of one good industrial area or one nice highway system. A good CJ is a combination of all those things and that's the challenge for players - to create a CJ that encompass all the fields you have mentioned. Awarding players in different categories such as Asian CJ, European CJ, American CJ, etc is understandable since every city encompass all the fields you mentioned but are built on different styles. 

_Michael and Cyclone Boom like this

2 minutes ago, jmsepe said:

to create a CJ that encompass all the fields you have mentioned. Awarding players in different categories such as Asian CJ, European CJ, American CJ, etc is understandable since every city encompass all the fields you mentioned but are built on different styles. 

But are you shure you want to give the trixies for special talents on creating not for being addicted to a country? What's the special ability in making an Asian CJ vs, an American CJ? Aren't the artistic abilities exact the same? So you give trixies for countries?

Just now, Fantozzi said:

But are you shure you want to give the trixies for special talents on creating not for being addicted to a country? What's the special ability in making an Asian CJ vs, an American CJ? Aren't the artistic abilities exact the same? So you give trixies for countries?

They are not the same. While the categories mentioned by Ln X are a very small part of one city or just one image, the Asian, American or European genre is about the whole city. The infrastructure , the building choice the layout and design. CJs that execute the above  well are Trixie worthy, not one that has a nice grudge image. 

Just now, Fantozzi said:

They are not referring to countries. An Asian City is vastly different from European City and the mods used in them are different as well. Both can have good airport, industrial areas, residential areas, transport system and what not but the implementation is different. If you look at Greg's Asianess and Ln X's works, you can see that while both cities are trying to build good CJs that encompass all the elements of a good city (the things I mention above) but the way the city are constructed isn't the same. 

Maybe I'll agree to that argumentation if there's a 'best felline CJ' and 'best marsian CJ' and best 'african CJ' and ... well if you make shure, not to exclude too many people from the trixies as not having too much categories was for having a stronger competion, if I understood @_Michael right.

23 minutes ago, _Michael said:

@Ln X

You're point on variety is exactly what I'm saying. And you've made my point for me in terms of quantity. 

Trixies are special, and by allowing them to be given to every CJ imaginable it destroys the value of them and the work hat people put into their work. Generic categories will allow all City Journals to compete and for the best to win. That's surly the point? If you have have 'best grunge', then I can only think of a maximum of 2 or three CJs from the past few years that would be worthy of a Trixie in the category. That means they'd have a 33% chance of winning a Trixie. Surely that destroys the value of them?

As I said these categories are not designed to be given to every CJ imaginable. There will be the seven or so generic categories you mentioned and people will be voting for those, but what I am saying is to have those generic categories AND most of the categories listed.

Now in terms of Trixie contenders I think the list is about maybe a hundred, perhaps a 150 members, who have contributed outstanding CJ content in the 2015-2016 period. This is NOT about giving Trixies to every CJ imaginable! In the past Trixies have been given which were specialized categories and there were only several people nominated because they displayed the best quality in that particular category.

The whole purpose of CJs is to show great images of SC4, even if that means the CJ author takes pictures from small areas of the map which are highly detailed and form a complete scene. I'm thinking elavery and korver have done this approach.

What matters are the images, the categories I've mentioned are designed to highlight the diversity of the modded SC4, to show what can be done in a highly specialized way. It is to acknowledge differentiation and specialization in CJ entries. The generic entries you mentioned will not show all the areas members have specialized in, again with each category I mentioned there have been several members who have produced outstanding work which has inspired the community or delivered much wow! factor.

The generic SC4 CJ Trixies will take everything into consideration, but the Trixie categories I mentioned will highlight CJs who specialized in areas which are not covered by the generic SC4 CJ Trixies you have proposed, yet the images are outstanding and are classics which have inspired many members and highlighted the full range of possibilities and creations possible in SC4.

By having the categories I propose it will help members focus their searches for CJs and pictures which said members believe to be outstanding. It will take advantage of both the tags system and also the titles of CJ entries. I assure you the categories I mentioned will highlight the full extent of the CJ quality in the 2015-2016 period, it will not diminish the value or worth of the Trixie.

Cyclone Boom likes this

19 minutes ago, Fantozzi said:

Maybe I'll agree to that argumentation if there's a 'best felline CJ' and 'best marsian CJ' and best 'african CJ' and ... well if you make shure, not to exclude too many people from the trixies as not having too much categories was for having a stronger competion, if I understood @_Michael right.

Okay, maybe an analogy would help you. Think of the Grammy awards. Each music has its own genre. Yes they are all music but they all have different genre. Also, each song normally has an intro, verse, chorus etc. If you think about it, CJs are like that as well. Each CJ has its own strength and weakness. Asian CJs, European CJs, African CJ, American CJs are all just CJs having different genre. But each CJ is composed of residential areas, commercial areas, industrial areas, they all have transport network too and pretty much everything that seen in a city. You award best pop music and best jazz music but certainly you don't award best chorus or best verse. If you agree with my arguments, then fine but choosing out how many genre we award is different story and is another topic to debate. The argument at hand is why I believe Ln X's list is excessive.

EDIT:

@Ln X If one image matters so much then why not nominate it for aesthetically pleasing. I still don't see why we have to award every field you mention like suburbs, airports, seaports, transports and such. Aren't those the elements that actually makes a CJ a worthy of a Trixie?

7 minutes ago, jmsepe said:

Think of the Grammy awards. Each music has its own genre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grammy_Award_categories

This didn't help me on your argument. Still they devide in 'Albums' and 'Performances' and 'Song'. They do more as @Ln X suggested. They even have a category for best cd box, wich isn't much related to music itself.

Couldn't a bundle of CJs be called CJ Album? *:rofl: Song is for the songwriter and performance is for the artist. Sadly, it's not like every CJ has a CJwriter and CJartist but we do have Trixie for the Best Story in a CJ before.

This would be last reply to this as I don't want to flood this thread with topic. Perhaps other members have insight as well. I will simply summarize my points as to not go overboard. Main argument is that I don't think it is necessary to have all the awards that Ln X listed. By that statement I mean, the suburbs, industrial, seaport and airport, etc.. My reasoning is that it is redundant to the awards we are giving like best CJ and such. CJs are supposed to be awarded as a package of awe inspiring city elements not a cherry pick of which part of the CJ is good. A good CJ will be good in totality and not just in parts. Also, having a lot of categories will only make Trixies less valuable. Take a look at the declining of numbers of nominations from 2012 to 2014. 

Well, there is certainly no harm in having multiple CJ subcategories in the Trixie. It has been quite a long time that Simtropolis had Trixies. In the long run, perhaps just perhaps those suggestions could be added but as long as there is no certainty that there will be enough nominations for them then I guess, it shouldn't cut in. I have seen the list of nominations given to those awards before and I could verify that some categories only received one or two.

EDIT: I was also reminded, we actually have Simtropolis challenge for those that deals with CJ subcategories like best transport, best industrial and best CBD. I think that should be a good place where these type of things are given attention and award. After all winning in those challenges is kinda like equivalent to winning a Trixie. In fact, it even has its own dedicated Hall of Fame album which Trixie winners don't have.

Thanks all for the input and ideas so far! :thumb:

In terms of the number of default categories there will be, I think it helps to strike a balance between a wide and narrow selection. Too many and it may well lose the sense of prestige. But on the other hand, too little and there'd be a similar issue to the previous Trixies with lack of choice. That's what we're trying to get right this time, and is precisely why we've opened this topic to the community. Some great suggestions already from everyone who's posted so far.

To give an insight of previous options, I've listed awards available for past Trixies in the post above.  (The current ideas lists will appear above this)

Do we think any of these should be used this time? :???:   (I see a few similarities have already been mentioned)

Of course, by having a wide range, it doesn't necessarily mean all of them would be given as awards -- that depends on which are used for nominations. In fact, there have been quite a number of awards not given out for this very reason. I believe the idea behind having a large list was to encompass all varieties of content & contributions, which fluctuate between years. That way, each is an individual in their genre and can be judged in its own right. But for awards such as "Best BAT" or "Best CJ", in theory all files or journals posted in the window are eligible to win. The problem here is far from all will receive nominations, and only one will claim the title. There are so many candidates, and each is unique and special in its own right.

So that considered, only a smaller selection of the ST population can potentially compete for these more general awards. These would be the ones which have captured the community's attention, or stand out above and beyond for a particular reason. "To be crowned best of the best; you'd have to beat the rest!"

But what about the rest? Wouldn't it be fair for a wider-ranging audience to receive a Trixie? These are people who may have stood out in a particular genre. For example, there are many BATs, but what about RCI? Also the same for CJs, with multiple variations and styles of presentation. Also maps, mods, automata, and even props & textures... the list goes on. These may otherwise not be recognised with just broad categories. It is true that especially with the more niche awards, they have been decided by as low as a single nomination or individual author. Not that this is a bad thing, because to receive any nomination, it is a token of appreciation for one of your contributions. With the new 3 nominations per author rule, hopefully that will allow more people who've contributed in multiple areas to be rewarded. That's the idea anyway.

Again, it's all about finding the right balance. With contributions so diverse, I think it would be great to reward those who stand out overall, in addition to those who specialise in particular fields. We all have our own talents and skill sets, and use them in many different ways.

Let's keep discussing and sharing ideas! :D

And don't worry about thinking of too many ideas; the purpose at this stage is to come up with as many as possible. So keep them coming, whatever they may be. Then once accumulated, they can be cut down to a more manageable sample, depending on how they all compare relative to each other, and how they will fit into the broader categories.

Silentium! Now this is Major Fantozzi(*) speaking.

Major Fantozzi not making prisoners. No negozziation wizth Sims. Sims obey or home is bulldozed.

And you - you making zizth Trixie for CJ or you big sorry:

Best Nursed CJ

Best Narration

Best CJ Development

Best Presentation of Content (pictures and text) or Best Overall Design

Best Graphical Artwork in CJ

Best Real World Recreation

Best Fictional CJ

Best City Planning

Most Shattering Environment in a CJ

Best Landscape Gardening

Most pictoral Country Life

Most Dieselpunk Looking CJ

Most Desastrous CJ

and

Most despotic Major (Major Fantozzi loves this)

(*) Major Fantozzi is not the same person as Fantozzi, you know. Fantozzi becomes Major Fantozzi only when he had an overdose of SC4. 

matias93, jmsepe, nos.17 and 1 other like this

Another suggestion I could think of is that should we have a minimum nominees per award? Like at least three (number subject to debate) nominations for Trixie CJ Best CJ otherwise the award will not be given. 

How about a "Breaking the Game" award? In my mind this would be for either a mod like SimMaster07's SC4fix dll or for extreme examples of korvering.

korver and Cyclone Boom like this