• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

29 posts in this topic

Got some ideas? :idea:

Here's a place where you can recommend any improvements to Simtropolis. 

It's about time we had one of these. Even though the site continues to develop, we'd love to hear your thoughts on how it can be further refined and made better for everyone. Whether it be a simple layout/design tweak, or a completely brand new feature, post away in this thread!

While we can't promise everything will be possible or implemented, each idea will be read and considered. I'm sure you'll appreciate there are limitations, both technically and financially. ;)

To report any issues with an existing site feature, or something not working as intended, please instead use the Bugs Thread.

Guidelines

1. For clarity, please keep one idea per post. Double posts are acceptable if you've more than one idea at once.
    Note: To prevent successive replies from auto-merging, you may need to wait 5 minutes.

2. Give a subheading, describing briefly what the idea is.

3. Explain the idea -- it helps to give as much detail as possible. Pictures or diagrams are acceptable, but not required.

4. Why would this be of benefit to the community?

5. If you value anyone's idea, please Like it to show your support. This helps to give a rough indication of how well an idea is received.

6. If commenting on an idea, please quote/copy the subheading so it's clear what is being discussed.

Progress Status

Once processed, ideas will be tagged with one of the following:

• NOT PLANNED - 

The idea is appreciated, but at this stage, is not feasible to implement.

• INTERNAL REVIEW - 

We like the idea, and will pursue whether it's currently feasible to implement.

• PLANNED - 

We have decided to implement the idea, and are finding the best ways to go about it.

• IMPLEMENTED - 

The idea has been added as a new site feature!

This will change depending on ongoing progress with implementation.

Thanks all! :)

-The Admins

PLANNED - 

Sub Heading: Specific Reputation Label Addition

How about setting a Reputation Label of Beloved for 7351+ Likeys?

I believe it would benefit the community by honoring one particular member.

APSMS, MeMyself&I, matias93 and 2 others like this

PLANNED - 

Sub Heading: Additional Reputation Labels

This is a re-post from another thread since this is a more appropriate place for it (now that it exists). I've tweaked the suggested rep counts:

• 1,500: Glorious
  • 2,000: Marvelous
  • 2,500: Illustrious
  • 3,000: Fantastic
  • 3,500: Superlative
  • 4,000: Prestigious
  • 4,500: Exemplary
  • 5,000: Grandiose
  • 6,000: Extraordinary
  • 7,000: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I believe this would benefit the community by adding variety for those peeps who have been Epic for such a long time.

INTERNAL REVIEW - 

Sub Heading: Reviews Opinions Identification

I was checking Van Prooijein Trading by Diego Del Llano and I noticed someone was obviously there just trolling around choosing no helpful to all the reviews. I know it doesn't really affect the file reputation itself but it's really annoying. I remember when it was possible to evaluate the files anonymously and the trolls was always giving 1 star even to the best BATs, after it ceased to be anonymous this problem never happened again as far as I know. 

It would benefit the community because no one needs trolls '-'

matias93, Abrams124 and CorinaMarie like this

NOT PLANNED - 

HTML Embedding

I would love to be able to embed this mindmap/status list in a Thread, so people can easily see how I'm progressing. The site offered this:

<iframe width="600" height="400" frameborder="0" src="https://www.mindmeister.com/maps/public_map_shell/810065885/cities-skylines?width=600&height=400&z=auto&t=37sAuNpgS4" scrolling="no" style="overflow: hidden; margin-bottom: 5px;">Your browser is not able to display frames. Please visit <a href="https://www.mindmeister.com/810065885/cities-skylines?t=37sAuNpgS4" target="_blank">Cities Skylines</a> on MindMeister.</iframe><div style="margin-bottom: 5px"><a href="https://www.mindmeister.com/810065885/cities-skylines?t=37sAuNpgS4" target="_blank">Cities Skylines</a> by <a href="https://www.mindmeister.com/users/channel/18654486" target="_blank">Tim Bonsema</a></div>

If I'm right I can't do anything with this. I checked everywhere, and found out you removed it in 2015. My idea, to prevent server overload (as mentioned in that same post) you could only allow it for Thread Posts, and not replies.

I hope this was clear enough, can't wait to hear from you.

Abrams124 likes this

PLANNED - 

Trophy Case

I would like the trophy case that was under our usernames in posts brought back if at all possible :D

It's a nice way to recognize those who have won Trixies and MOTMs, if not under posts, then in their user profile, like a list of achievements at ST.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. :8)

On 13/12/2016 at 9:48 PM, Tim The Terrible said:

HTML Embedding

Due to potential security concerns with allowing HTML and other scripts, right now we're not prepared to enable this for the global membership.

However, if you (or anyone else) has a legitimate use as described, please contact me or another admin and we'll try and arrange it for you on an individual basis.

1 hour ago, wwetom1 said:

Trophy Case

I can confirm we do plan to restore the awards in a brand new, much more robust system. Still no ETA, but it's something very much on our radar for 2017.

The previous system was a plugin which was made incompatible following the big site upgrade last year. There is now a replacement which will do the same job, plus provide a few additional options. :)

5 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. :8)

However, if you (or anyone else) has a legitimate use as described, please contact me or another admin and we'll try and arrange it for you on an individual basis.

That. Would be. Amazing!

I only want to embed the mentioned script so people from the Cities: Skylines Modding Community can track my progress. @Ronyx69 and I found this website (MindMeister) together, and we both use it, so he might be interested in it as well, and perhaps also some other modders that work on too many things simultaneously, but I can't speak for them. If you can arrange that, I would be soooo happy.

Thank you for keeping this community alive, I love this place! Also looking forward to the trophy update!

Abrams124, Ronyx69 and CorinaMarie like this

On 22/10/2016 at 11:28 AM, CorinaMarie said:

This is a re-post from another thread since this is a more appropriate place for it (now that it exists). I've tweaked the suggested rep counts:

• 1,500: Glorious
  • 2,000: Marvelous
  • 2,500: Illustrious
  • 3,000: Fantastic
  • 3,500: Superlative
  • 4,000: Prestigious
  • 4,500: Exemplary
  • 5,000: Grandiose
  • 6,000: Extraordinary
  • 7,000: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I believe this would benefit the community by adding variety for those peeps who have been Epic for such a long time.

I would rather them be city / civic  related,  

CorinaMarie likes this

On 10/22/2016 at 5:28 AM, CorinaMarie said:

21 minutes ago, AprilAero said:

I would rather them be city / civic  related,

That could be interesting. Do you have suggestions for what they might be?

kinda like job titles , like Mayor would be one  city council member could be another. like imagine you had a job in the public service / government and you worked your way up the chain. like you started as like a clerk in the city managers office and then worked your way up to higher positions,. after mayor , its typically state house of representives. kinda like that. 

-mod edit: Added the subheading to comply with guideline 6 of the first post. -Cori

Compdude787 likes this

8 minutes ago, AprilAero said:

kinda like job titles , like Mayor would be one  city council member could be another. like imagine you had a job in the public service / government and you worked your way up the chain. like you started as like a clerk in the city managers office and then worked your way up to higher positions,. after mayor , its typically state house of representives. kinda like that. 

Ah. I believe this is the intention of the ranks we currently have. So, reputation is more of an adjective indicating a level of greatness.

Cyclone Boom likes this

2 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Ah. I believe this is the intention of the ranks we currently have. So, reputation is more of an adjective indicating a level of greatness.

if thats the case yours should say Hermes Conrad. so the title below are user names is based on post count??  I thought it was based on the number of pluses we get. 

matias93 likes this

Since it's more specific, I've moved the suggestion on the voting to the Challenges forum here.

3 hours ago, AprilAero said:

so the title below are user names is based on post count??  I thought it was based on the number of pluses we get. 

Yes, the titles below usernames are based on the content count (anything posted on the site, including non-forum sections).

Reputation ranks have different levels, and are only based on a user's total number of accumulated likes.
At the moment there are only 15 of these, which max out at 1000 rep. So we will be adding more in the not too distant future. :yes:

APSMS, AprilAero and CorinaMarie like this

Sub Heading: Chat Room Who's Online

So, I noticed near the bottom of the Forums Page we have:

Whos%20Chatting_zpsswqgwvca.jpg

Could this be added to the Chat Room Intro popup?

Chat%20Room%20Intro_zpsdytt2zdl.jpg

I feel it'd be a nice addition. We get lots of peeps who pop in, say nothing, and leave and my guess is they are just checking to see who is there.

Mod edit: I forgot about the Sub Heading so I added it. - Cori

_Michael and MeMyself&I like this

Sub Heading: Date Format

This a wish list, really : Could this site use the same date post everywhere ? Many posts don't show the year, or month, or day. For someone like me trying to get to level, sometimes it backfires. DON'T answer old threads they said. "Posted last Monday" which Monday ?

Here is a suggestion : xx(in numbers), month (in letters), year (all four digits). There are different ways of writing a date in different countries.

Mod edit: Since this is now in the Site Suggestion thread I added a sub heading. - Cori

matias93 likes this

20 hours ago, huzman said:

Off the top of my head I believe it goes:

• Minutes ago (up to 59)
  • Hours ago (up to 23)
  • Yesterday at Time (for one day ago)
  • Day of the Week at Time (for up to 6 days ago)
  • Month & Numerical day of the month (for over one week, but less than one year)
  • Full Date (for over one year)

Poking around a wee bit at the Invision Power (our software provider) website it looks like the full date and time for all posts could be done by changing the template to:

{datetime="$comment->mapped('date')" norelative="true"}

The question then would be how many peeps would rather see it this way rather than the current, relative method.

Personally, I like the Hours Ago and Yesterday part for the recent posts, but then I'd like to see it go to the full date. The date part being useful for me when I'm out of work for long stretches cause sometimes I don't know what day of the week it is so if it says posted Friday I may not intuitively know if that was one or two or three days ago. If it showed the full date I could just look in the lower right corner of my screen and it tells me that. I have to mouse over my computer clock to find out today is Sunday. However, I've gotten used to the way the board shows the relative time/day so even tho I have a slightly different preference I'd vote to just leave it as it is. (Honestly, it's not too much effort to inform myself of what day of the week today is.)

It'll be interesting to see how other members feel about it. ;)

Mod edit: Since this is now in the Site Suggestion thread I added a sub heading. - Cori

3 hours ago, huzman said:

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

However, I've gotten used to the way the board shows the relative time/day so even tho I have a slightly different preference I'd vote to just leave it as it is. (Honestly, it's not too much effort to inform myself of what day of the week today is.)

Agreed

CorinaMarie likes this

3 hours ago, huzman said:

I agree with Cori. I think the current system works very well.

Mod note: Moving this into the Site Suggestions thread.

CorinaMarie likes this

Returning after a bit of a break from simtropolis, I noticed the site donation goal is currently only 70%, and it seems this isn't unusual. I'm sure there are more than a few longtime users such as myself who come and go in waves. Considering the current donation system is a one-time thing that needs to be renewed each month, I'm curious if something like a patreon for simtropolis could be useful. That way, regardless of weather or not we are on currently on a simkick, simtropolis is still automatically getting the $10/mo or whichever tier the user has chosen.

A few suggestions for the leaderboard. It's a cool feature but I would love to see a few more things listed specifically in the past leaders section. Right now it just shows the daily top 3 but it would be awesome to have a list of the weekly, monthly and of course the yearly top 3. You can manually find out the totals, but it would be cool to have them listed on the users profile page. And in the case of the yearly winners have the year number instead. Imo that one would be a rather prestigious achievement.  Damn, I just gave myself another idea. Me and my love for statistics *:no:

One point about the weekly, monthly, and yearly leaders are they are on a rolling basis. For your suggestion it would prolly need to be tied to the fiscal months and years. *;)

huzman likes this

On the ST home page under the 'From the Gallery' header there's a horizontal scroller featuring 11 graphic items.  

My suggestion is to put a similar or same horizontal scroller on the ST home page for Newly Added Files.  Given the home page is already 6 windows deep (page up/down), maybe a vertically shorter version of the scroller? 

In my observation ST is a very download intensive site, most guests and many members seem to spend at least half their time on the STEX --I do.  The other half in forums and viewing graphics.

For search engine stats and ad stats the duration of stay on the ST home page may be more relevant now.  There are also now more content creators contributing to the STEX and some of the files quickly disappear off the edge of 'Newly Added Files'.

nos.17 and huzman like this

I have a simple proposal to change the 2 post rule in the forum games a little bit. If a certain amount of time (a week, for example) passes in a thread without a reply, it turns into a one post rule. I.e the poster before the last gets to post again. this would help keep games alive, or make it possible for two site members to keep it up on their own. This idea came from @airman15's brave revival of one of my favorite games, Rate The Song: Take Two last week.

4 minutes ago, Thin White Duke said:

If a certain amount of time (a week, for example) passes in a thread without a reply, it turns into a one post rule.

I'm in favor. Tho I'd suggest make it 24 hours rather than a week.

Thin White Duke and MeMyself&I like this

3 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Tho I'd suggest make it 24 hours rather than a week.

Same. Only make it count for all forums in general.. There isn't that much activity on the site

CorinaMarie and MeMyself&I like this

1 hour ago, Thin White Duke said:

I have a simple proposal to change the 2 post rule in the forum games a little bit.

We can definitely consider such a change, and it would help prevent certain ones becoming dormant. Also to allow some more variety in those active. There are several prominent games which have slipped to latter pages, which sometimes never again make the light of day.

This reminds me... it's about time I went through and addressed some of the previously made suggestions here. *;)