• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   04/30/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Kliekie

Building continuing below the ground level?

15 posts in this topic

So recently I started working on a new mod: Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

It's a building on the top of a mountain, looking over the Griffith Park. The front side is normal height on the ground level, but the back of the building goes lower and lower into the mountain, as can be seen on this image: 

c_fit-w_640-h_480-crm-la-griffith-observ

So right now I'm testing the model in game to see what's the best way to get the back part looking like that, I figured with ingame terraforming I could get a lot done. if I make the grid smaller than the actual building terraforming should not be a problem. I do however bumped into an other problem which I just completely forgot. Everything below ground level will have a dirt texture on it.

58a5d2b7912c2_2017-02-1617_12_26-Greenshot.thumb.png.3db4c47df7b8c4651abccc6dee408ac4.png

How would you guys solve this problem? Is that dirt texture removable? and is there a way to make sharper mountains, just to make sure no ground will be poking trough the model anywhere?

Thank you in advance.

You need to change the shader to NoBase:

var shader = Shader.Find("Custom/Buildings/Building/NoBase");
var asset = ToolsModifierControl.toolController.m_editPrefabInfo as BuildingInfo;
if(asset.m_material != null) asset.m_material.shader = shader;
if(asset.m_lodMaterial != null) asset.m_lodMaterial.shader = shader;

CT14 likes this

22 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

You need to change the shader to NoBase:

var shader = Shader.Find("Custom/Buildings/Building/NoBase");
var asset = ToolsModifierControl.toolController.m_editPrefabInfo as BuildingInfo;
if(asset.m_material != null) asset.m_material.shader = shader;
if(asset.m_lodMaterial != null) asset.m_lodMaterial.shader = shader;

Sorry for being a noob, but where exactly do I change these settings? 

51 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

You need to get mod tools, get into the asset editor, press F7 and then run the script.

Ah yes of corse! Thanks for the help, at least now I know I can finish this asset in peace :D 

Alexgru88 likes this

Nice project! I thought the 'NoBase' option just made the asset float... Or is it the case but then what is modeled under 0 becomes textured properly? That would be so useful!

15 minutes ago, Lost_gecko said:

Nice project! I thought the 'NoBase' option just made the asset float... Or is it the case but then what is modeled under 0 becomes textured properly? That would be so useful!

It gets rid of the base, so if you have nothing below 0, it will float.

But since it doesn't generate a base, you can put your own stuff below 0.

1 minute ago, Ronyx69 said:

Damn, I had never thought about that, I can just forget about  cumbersome foundation props then! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ronyx69 said:

Wow, that's great news! :D That opens up for some more options - can't wait to try it out :D

It worked! On to the next step! 

How do you guys normally deal with grass sticking trough a path? My only solution so far is place 1 plane directly on 0 ground level to stop the grass and then another one floating 5-10cm above it to avoid collision with the ground texture.

2017-03-01 20_52_10-Greenshot_small.jpg

Avanya likes this

I had no idea there was a solution at all.

Only tip I guess you can optimize the 0 level surface more than the one above, since the floating one would be more subdivided for UV mapping I assume.

2 hours ago, Kliekie said:

It worked! On to the next step! 

How do you guys normally deal with grass sticking trough a path? My only solution so far is place 1 plane directly on 0 ground level to stop the grass and then another one floating 5-10cm above it to avoid collision with the ground texture.

That's the way to do it. You need vertices at y=0. When I made my modular park, I used shapes with an invisible texture to get rid of the grass below the paths:

0358AF163E07231588D2A31C1E923B589472663C

Yeah that's how I've "always" been doing it, hoped there was a more poly-friendly solution. I'm at 6.8K now so should be fine.

Do you guys happen to know how this "extending below zero" works with props? As far as I can tell (plopping dozens of my rail lighting tower), the game does not generate a mesh under a prop. And if you add the mesh yourself, the prop seems to float on top of the ground, instead of clip through it like you would like (not 100% sure about this part). Is there a way to make a type of prop that is meant to go on a slope, and includes geometry that is designed to clip through the ground? I have a feeling we're gonna need this as people start making more props for mountains to go with the new gondolas in the expansion. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Horus_Kol
      I've been lurking about the forums for a good long while since my last journal (which, unfortunately, is not to be resurrected) - and trying out a few different approaches to the game before settling on a style/gameplay that hopefully will be sustainable in between real life. I think Delvedene failed because it was far too ambitious - finding all the perfect mods and assets, along with the micro-management of things like farms and stuff got in the way of enjoying the game.
      So, I'm playing one of the vanilla maps, unlocking everything (including all 25 areas - I was hoping to use Area Enabler, but that's broken since the last DLC, so I had to spend most of my money buying all the areas - on the other hand, having a reasonably limited amount of money helps me to prevent just wallpapering the map with cityscape ), and removing all the highways and railway.
      What I like about the vanilla maps is that they offer wide grassland areas surrounded by woods, which offer a natural limit to town growth. Contours are also a good guide (anyone know how to get the game to keep contours on display when laying down road?) What I don't like about the vanilla maps is the prebuilt highway network. I also don't like the rate at which you unlock new areas with population growth: you end up being forced into super dense small towns.
      ----
      Chelsea
      The town of Chelsea currently stretches along one main road (which will go on to connect to another town by the river later - below the image), with three other roads: the first, leading into Stepano (right of the image) - the industrial estate where most of the Chelsea residents work; another leading to the Cockerell farms (top left); and the third heading off to where yet another town is planned (to the left).
      In the background you can see Mt Chelsea.

Chelsea again, from a different angle (Stepano to the bottom). You can see a thin belt of trees separating Chelsea from another grassland area where the next town is planned (mid-left). In the background is Mt Runcorn, where an old fortification sits (put there by the map designers, but just outside the 25 tile limit).

And a closeup of the Chelsea Cemetary, surrounded by some parklands (open space is going to be a big deal in these towns - I am desperately trying to avoid wall-to-wall buildings).

• By CallMehFreddy
      My names Fredrik but people call me Fred and I make Cities Skylines videos. I have 130+ Subscribers and around 2,4k Views. I make Videos in 1080p and use decent editing and recording software.
      If you find my channel Interesting and subscribe if you want more content.
    • By CorinaMarie
      I've been poking around in the WaybackMachine archive of the Building Exchange and so far I've been able to download every file from the pages I've been on. (120 files so far.) I'm curious how stable those pages are. Like would it be worth creating an index to the currently valid links I've found? For example, I've created a Firefox Archive of some pages and then tested the download links from my C-Drive copy of the page. They all worked for me.
      Anyone care to give this a test and see if the links work for you? I've attached two sample .maff files.

SimCity Building Exchange - A 01.maff
      SimCity Building Exchange - A 02.maff
    • By Tim The Terrible

Release Trailer

The expansion, titled “Mass Transit,” will bring new forms of transportation to the game, allowing mayor-players to offer in-game citizens new ways to get across town by land, sea, and air. With new transit service buildings, mass transit hubs where lines can exchange passengers, new scenarios, new landmarks, and new road types, Mass Transit will provide veteran players of Cities: Skylines with more choices and options to personalize their cities than ever before.

Mass Transit will feature:
      Sick Transit, Glorious Money: Add a wealth of new transit options to your city, and add wealth to your city’s income! Let your citizens get across town in ferries, blimps, cable cars, and monorails!  Orderly Hub, Bub: New mass transit hubs can bring all of your services together, letting citizens change rail lines in one building, or hop from the bus onto the ferry, or even find their way through a sprawling monorail-train-metro station. Become a Roads Scholar: Explore a set of new challenge scenarios focused on solving traffic problems and adding new transit systems. New road types, bridges and canals adds variety to your city, and new ways to solve its challenges. Become an expert in traffic flow, and then use that knowledge to improve your city! New Hats for Chirper: NEW. HATS. FOR CHIRPER. (and also new unique buildings, policies and achievements. But HATS!)
      Per usual, the new expansion will arrive together with a free update to the base game upon release. This free update adds mod-inspired features to traffic management, such as an extended public transport budget, emergency vehicle overtaking and more road features. The patch will also include the much-requested ability to name roads.
      Screenshots

• By Lost_Gecko
      I've just released my first assets and I decided to create a post not because there is much to see, but rather because as an inexperienced modeler it will be a good place to collect feedback and ask for advice. (I would like to keep the forum clean from my numerous questions!)
      So my project is a modular medieval wall that is currently made out of 7 parts of a 6m high set. This is the short version, which is suitable for town walls, but a 12m set is planned. I might also do a 9m version but don't quote me on that.
      The wall parts are based on the great "stone wall" template of Sparks, so they can be placed freely and conform to terrain. I tried to make their stats balanced in terms of entertainment value. I wanted the towers to avoid flattening the terrain and as I'm not good with playing with building's properties, I went with a water tower template without stats. It's not the most convenient but it works. It's also worth noting that the assets only really work well with an anarchy mod (especially the gates that I made without roads for more freedom).
      Here is the link to the collection: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=718095394
      New short pieces and the tall set are on the way, but probably not before the end of July. You can leave suggestions or feedback so that I can improve my future assets!