• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
RRetail

RRetail Development

322 posts in this topic

While I currently have no idea how to make buildings, it is something that I may pursue in the future. That is, if I can determine whether or not my digital copy (no physical disk) of Sim City 4 allows it. (Can anyone confirm whether I can even try?)

I have decided to undergo a few relots of existing buildings. Any suggestions for props and/or improvements will be gladly welcomed.

Any suggestions for improvement or additional props are welcome. Let me know if anyone is interested in these relots for download.

Project #1 is a relot nos17's CVS. While I do like the existing lot, I simply wanted to shrink down the lot footprint to make it fit in other areas. 

Test World-Jan. 25, 001486485706.png

Project #2 is a relot of budweiserdude23's Kmart.

Test World-Jan. 25, 001486485981.png

matias93 and MeMyself&I like this

Ilike the iniciative! Small footprints are the key to credible non-US cities: lots of gamers will be grateful of your efforts.

Just a suggestion: you could check KOSC parking textures, maybe something there could be useful, mainly for growables.

MeMyself&I likes this

59 minutes ago, Yarahi said:

For your texture/prop needs - don't forget to check the Catalog

It is not close to a complete set, but it covers the most commonly used packs ;)

Appreciate this. Time to make an account there. :)

Also, are the KOSC parking lots an overlay or base texture? I can't seem to find them....

2 hours ago, RRetail said:

Also, are the KOSC parking lots an overlay or base texture? I can't seem to find them....

They are overlay textures. To use them on your own lots, you need to have the textures themselves, not the lots, to show up in the LE/PIMX.

It's always nice to see people take my (well, B62's) creations and customize them to their purposes. Keep it up!

MeMyself&I and matias93 like this

3 hours ago, RRetail said:

The Kmart relot has been added to the STEX:

Very nice!  People stepping out give me a little more motivation to tackle the whole lotting/batting thing myself.  I've been a chicken thus far but this helps push a little to try my hand.  Thanks!

On 2/7/2017 at 4:47 PM, nos.17 said:

They are overlay textures. To use them on your own lots, you need to have the textures themselves, not the lots, to show up in the LE/PIMX.

It's always nice to see people take my (well, B62's) creations and customize them to their purposes. Keep it up!

Well do I feel dumb.... Of course the textures are needed. :idea:

23 hours ago, MeMyself&I said:

Very nice!  People stepping out give me a little more motivation to tackle the whole lotting/batting thing myself.  I've been a chicken thus far but this helps push a little to try my hand.  Thanks!

Glad to hear that. I had been thinking about it, but only just took the dive myself.

Someone is having an issue downloading my Kmart relot. Can anyone help me to determine what a damaged file is?

I've posted in the comments of the download, so far as I can tell there is nothing actually wrong with the file. Hard to help without more information really.

I have bad news.

I have determined that I sadly will not be able to BAT anything. My version of the game was an online code through Origin, so I am unable to install the BAT program. I guess I'll be sticking to relots.

I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the relots I've done so far. Thanks!

Might look into making the Kmart relot ploppable and do some further tweaking to it. The reason it is not a ploppable relot is because I choose the wrong file! :} 

2 hours ago, RRetail said:

I have determined that I sadly will not be able to BAT anything. My version of the game was an online code through Origin, so I am unable to install the BAT program. I guess I'll be sticking to relots.

I'd keep an eye out for a sale, I paid only 2,49€ for my digital copy from GoG in one. Typically the cost is under $5/£5/5€ in such a sale and all the major vendors have one every 6 months to a year. Otherwise, if you can pick up the disk version cheaply, you can use that to install SC4 BAT too. You probably won't be able to use the disks to play, but it will install. Obviously it depends on how much you actually want to make BAT models, but the point is the cost of a suitable version needn't be a limiting factor.

matias93 likes this

Have you considered doing a relot of BLaM Walmart by Creator? The lot has no Parking. Plz, maybe put a restaurant in the lot if possible like McDonalds or KFC. both on here also. great work anyways.

Whoa, much going on here!

First of all, let me say that I think you're improving, and I really like to see relots of existing buildings, so a big :thumb: for you!

Now my thoughts on the individual relots:

DK1's Bank of America: good one in principle, but the drive-thru in the back kinda makes it necessary to have a defined entrance and exit, and a possibility to drive around the building. Therefore, the symmetrical layout of the original made sense. Maybe you could use the SHK/KOSC parking textures to great effect here! I'd avoid putting up streetlights pointing towards the road, though. The road will have streetlights automatically, and users of lighting mods may experience undesired effects when the light cones blend into each other too much. If you do use these streetlights, I'd turn them around, making them point inwards.

Nos.17's WaWa gas station: I think the arrangement is too tight on a 3x3 lot. Leaving one pump island out can work, but I think a 3x4 would be needed. You could also look into a lighter ground texture that would help blur the line between BAT and lot. Oh, and that grass strip to the left: I guess it would be in the way if you were to drive off after refueling. How about this idea: Make it a corner lot, put the sign to the bottom left corner (this is where the intersection would be) and move the pump island to the right.

JaWood's OIive Garden: I like how you turned the area in front into a cosy-looking corner that invites people to sit down and relax. The problem is, the area is right in front of the main entrance, and you might not want clutter there.

If I may make a suggestion and since BLaM has been mentioned anyway, do you know the retail buildings that MarcosMX has made for that team? There's some sweet stuff among these, but the buildings seem to have slipped completely under the radar. I hope this link works.

nos.17 and RRetail like this

16 hours ago, rsc204 said:

I'd keep an eye out for a sale, I paid only 2,49€ for my digital copy from GoG in one. Typically the cost is under $5/£5/5€ in such a sale and all the major vendors have one every 6 months to a year. Otherwise, if you can pick up the disk version cheaply, you can use that to install SC4 BAT too. You probably won't be able to use the disks to play, but it will install. Obviously it depends on how much you actually want to make BAT models, but the point is the cost of a suitable version needn't be a limiting factor.

I'll keep an eye out for it, but I don't think I'm going to go out of my way. (At least for now.) Though I really wanted to make an updated Dollar General....

1 hour ago, T Wrecks said:

Whoa, much going on here!

First of all, let me say that I think you're improving, and I really like to see relots of existing buildings, so a big :thumb: for you!

Now my thoughts on the individual relots:

DK1's Bank of America: good one in principle, but the drive-thru in the back kinda makes it necessary to have a defined entrance and exit, and a possibility to drive around the building. Therefore, the symmetrical layout of the original made sense. Maybe you could use the SHK/KOSC parking textures to great effect here! I'd avoid putting up streetlights pointing towards the road, though. The road will have streetlights automatically, and users of lighting mods may experience undesired effects when the light cones blend into each other too much. If you do use these streetlights, I'd turn them around, making them point inwards.

Nos.17's WaWa gas station: I think the arrangement is too tight on a 3x3 lot. Leaving one pump island out can work, but I think a 3x4 would be needed. You could also look into a lighter ground texture that would help blur the line between BAT and lot. Oh, and that grass strip to the left: I guess it would be in the way if you were to drive off after refueling. How about this idea: Make it a corner lot, put the sign to the bottom left corner (this is where the intersection would be) and move the pump island to the right.

JaWood's OIive Garden: I like how you turned the area in front into a cosy-looking corner that invites people to sit down and relax. The problem is, the area is right in front of the main entrance, and you might not want clutter there.

If I may make a suggestion and since BLaM has been mentioned anyway, do you know the retail buildings that MarcosMX has made for that team? There's some sweet stuff among these, but the buildings seem to have slipped completely under the radar. I hope this link works.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I never really gave much thought about the streetlights, so I'm glad you pointed those out to me. I admit that the 3x3 footprint of the Wawa is a little crowded,  so yeah, I will probably play around with that some more. I honestly didn't change much about the Olive Garden, but upon your suggestions, I can take it further....

Oh and yes I am aware of MarcosMX's buildings. I have a few myself.

matias93 likes this

How do these look?

Untitled.jpg

Remains a 2x3 lot

Untitled.jpg

Actually upped the lot for CVS to 4x4

Untitled.jpg

Still a 3x3 Wawa plot, but I like this version better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 hours ago, Evanjs said:

Have you considered doing a relot of BLaM Walmart by Creator? The lot has no Parking. Plz, maybe put a restaurant in the lot if possible like McDonalds or KFC. both on here also. great work anyways.

I may possibly look into relotting that one since you asked. :D

MeMyself&I, Yarahi and matias93 like this

Anyone know how to add/remove transit enabled spaces? The Blam Walmart lot is entirely made of them. Don't think that would work well if parking textures are to be used.

They're a huge improvement. Everything looks a lot smoother and neater. I would watch out for two things on CVS though: you are inconsistent with the texture style (e.g. use both the $ and $$$ on the same lot - stick to one for a more consistent look), and there are gaps on the right side (you seem to be using the texture with only 3 spots per tile...use the ones with 4 - they'll be at the very start of the list of textures). Concerning Wawa, I'm also not entirely convinced by those SHK white hash props. They contrast too much with the dark concrete IMHO and they look out of place. This more applies to the ones around the propane tank - the ones in front are not as bad.

Still, even with what I suggested above, you are making fantastic progress and I will definitely be checking back here to see more!

Edit: for TE lots, SC4Tool is probably the easiest option. Its what I use. If you need any assistance, I'd be more than happy to provide it.

Edited by nos.17
RRetail and matias93 like this

3 minutes ago, nos.17 said:

They're a huge improvement. Everything looks a lot smoother and neater. I would watch out for two things on CVS though: you are inconsistent with the texture style (e.g. use both the $ and $$$ on the same lot - stick to one for a more consistent look), and there are gaps on the right side (you seem to be using the texture with only 3 spots per tile...use the ones with 4 - they'll be at the very start of the list of textures). Concerning Wawa, I'm also not entirely convinced by those SHK white hash props. They contrast too much with the dark concrete IMHO and they look out of place. This more applies to the ones around the propane tank - the ones in front are not as bad.

Still, even with what I suggested above, you are making fantastic progress and I will definitely be checking back here to see more!

The parking line textures have a tendency to confuse me if you can't tell!

Those hash props do kind of stand out now that you mention it.

Since these are minor adjustments, I'll be sure to do them. And thanks!

Personally I think I would have expanded the Olive Garden to a 3x3 or 4x4 w/ parking.

Also not your fault but on the Wawa the angle of the pumps makes it look like it would be hard to navigate.

I love the direction you're going in w/ your lots though, theirs a lot of older buildings that could use updating, my suggestion is to look at Baco or Joerg's stuff.

In particular I'd love to see this updated.

matias93 likes this

2 hours ago, DavidDHetzel said:

Personally I think I would have expanded the Olive Garden to a 3x3 or 4x4 w/ parking.

Also not your fault but on the Wawa the angle of the pumps makes it look like it would be hard to navigate.

I love the direction you're going in w/ your lots though, theirs a lot of older buildings that could use updating, my suggestion is to look at Baco or Joerg's stuff.

In particular I'd love to see this updated.

I'm nowhere complete with Olive Garden. Keep in mind nothing on this page is final.

That Walmart, classic McDonald's, etc. are begging for a relot. Not sure about the Burger King and other restaurants though as others here on the STEX have newer buildings. 

It's looking good. I especially like the outdoor garden center area. It just fits really well next to the shape of the building. Nicely done.

The parking lot layouts in both are nice - I can see you're getting more used to using KOSC's set with every lot. With the Olive Garden lot, there are pieces used to end that D-type parking (0xFa04d35 and the like), and using those should give you a much smoother appearance, especially in the corner with the interestingly-placed FA3 end. I do kind of like how the pieces meet up in the upper corner on the bottom right tile (next to the blue truck), so change that at your discretion. Not that you need my approval, but I like what you did for theWalmart parking.

I would, however, like to point out one more thing I don't like: it's your use of LBT cars with KOSC parking. In my opinion, I would stick to one or the other. Use the LBT cars with LBT parking textures or BSC Simgoober's parking textures (they're meant for cars sized the same as LBT), or use KOSC's parking textures with SHK or VIP cars. One or the other. The mixing of the two looks bad in my opinion. I know scale does not matter to some, but my OCD doesn't like it. same thing with the restaurant and Walmart: the scale is all out of whack. I'm not too sure what you can do about that one, but you could fiddle around with the Model Tweaker if you like. It's the easiest tool to use for that sort of thing.

Overall, you've taken bounds and leaps with your lotting skills. Excellent.

14 hours ago, nos.17 said:

It's looking good. I especially like the outdoor garden center area. It just fits really well next to the shape of the building. Nicely done.

The parking lot layouts in both are nice - I can see you're getting more used to using KOSC's set with every lot. With the Olive Garden lot, there are pieces used to end that D-type parking (0xFa04d35 and the like), and using those should give you a much smoother appearance, especially in the corner with the interestingly-placed FA3 end. I do kind of like how the pieces meet up in the upper corner on the bottom right tile (next to the blue truck), so change that at your discretion. Not that you need my approval, but I like what you did for theWalmart parking.

I would, however, like to point out one more thing I don't like: it's your use of LBT cars with KOSC parking. In my opinion, I would stick to one or the other. Use the LBT cars with LBT parking textures or BSC Simgoober's parking textures (they're meant for cars sized the same as LBT), or use KOSC's parking textures with SHK or VIP cars. One or the other. The mixing of the two looks bad in my opinion. I know scale does not matter to some, but my OCD doesn't like it. same thing with the restaurant and Walmart: the scale is all out of whack. I'm not too sure what you can do about that one, but you could fiddle around with the Model Tweaker if you like. It's the easiest tool to use for that sort of thing.

Overall, you've taken bounds and leaps with your lotting skills. Excellent.

Thanks, and I'm glad you know the texture needed for Olive Garden! 

Appreciate the feedback for using other car props. I will change that as I am slightly bothered by it too.

Personally, I thought the size of the Friendly's was reasonable when compared to the Walmart. I may around with that a little, but we'll see where it goes.

Edit: Having messed around with Model tweaker, I don't think I'll be changing the model. (Unless you or someone else can help me understand it better.) The whole setup there is a little confusing to me especially since you have no idea to see what you are changing.

matias93 likes this