• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
dan2004

How to install content from STEX Discs

4 posts in this topic

How do I download and install content from the Stex DVD into my Simcity 4 game?  I have installed the Stex DVD  onto my computer, but haven't figured how to add the content into my game.

58 minutes ago, dan2004 said:

How do I download and install content from the Stex DVD into my Simcity 4 game?  I have installed the Stex DVD  onto my computer, but haven't figured how to add the content into my game.

I went through threads in this forum on installing and there are differences between the volumes. Currently a lot of people are getting the disk(s) and your question would be best answered and shared as a thread on its own.   If you go back to the 'Simtropolis Related' forum where you found this thread there's a red button to 'Start New Topic'.  Use your question as the title and indicate which Stex disk you have.   There are different answers depending on which disk you have, and there's several different volumes and disk versions.  This thread is just about the site reaching 20K files of user created content.

11 minutes ago, RandyE said:

If you go back to the 'Simtropolis Related' forum where you found this thread there's a red button to 'Start New Topic'.

Keeping things simple, I've moved this topic for you @dan2004.

Sorry, can't help you with your question, I've never seen the discs myself. But, for some generic advise, all plugins need to be placed into the Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder to work. If those files are .zip files, they must be extracted or the game won't necessarily see them. Same for any which come with installers, you need to run that installer before use.

I think the discs will just be a showcase of the files upon the CD. There should be an option somewhere to copy or install that files when you select them.

If that's not helping, hold tight, someone more knowledgeable will almost certainly be along to help :).

MeMyself&I likes this

If you open the disk it will have tabs for different categories of files but in the top far right corner is a tab labeled "Help".  Click it and it lays out the instructions on what to do with the files start to finish.  I strongly suggest you take your time looking over all the files and don't go nuts downloading a bunch all at once or you will most assuredly run into errors.  One file at a time, read the entire readme file for each download and make sure it works before you go downloading more.  It's real easy to just start popping off files into your plugins folder but it will cause problems if you're not confident that you know what you're doing.  There is a ton of great stuff on them and they're real easy to just grab and go but, seriously, try to resist the urge if you can.  One at a time.  Enjoy looking through them - like a big SC4 Christmas catalog!

rsc204 likes this