• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

5 posts in this topic

Simtropolis Challenges - Season 3 Logo

Animation Challenge - 
Create an animated image from your city - 
Season 3 - Challenge #25 - Extended (25 days) - 

Results Announced Here!

Thanks to @philforhockey51 for the challenge idea.

So far, challenges have involved submitting static images from your cities. While there's been many creative and lifelike scenes, a picture is just a snapshot of a single moment in time. But when you take multiple snapshots and put them together, it adds a whole new dimension. Animation helps to reveal change, show action, and as we've seen from the many films, can build emotional appeal.

Alongside City Showcase, the final challenge of Season 3 involves creating an animated image, presenting an urban or rural scene.

Aim to make it concise but also interesting and memorable. It could even be something humorous. It's your choice what direction you'd like to take, and how the animation is composed. The sequence could represent action in real time, or as a sped up timelapse. It should run for around 5-20 seconds -- we're not asking for a short film here! *:P

There are a number of ways to create the animation. Some video capture tools allow a recording to be exported as an animated image. If using SimCity 4, you could use the 'recorder' function to capture and extract the frames. Then a software package could be used for the final composition.

See the Possible Ideas section below for a few examples.

This is an  Extended  challenge running for 25 days.

Submission Requirements

1. Your image is animated (e.g. GIF), and portrays a rural or urban scene.

2. You may use any city-building game -- including SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, SimCity (2013), and CitiesXL / XXL.

3. Please submit only one image for this challenge.
    However, you may link a larger version of the same image in the description, or post in the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.

4. For the purpose of voting, please check your image has a full title & description.

5. Your image must be created solely by yourself, without any assistance from anyone else.

6. To qualify for entry, please ensure your image is uploaded to the submissions category, and complies with these requirements.

Possible Ideas

Here are a few ideas to get you started, just giving examples of ways to go about this challenge:

Note: The following is not a complete list, or a requirement:

• A timelapse, showing a dramatic change in the landscape / terrain (e.g coastal erosion)
  • Construction of buildings
  • Urban development over time
  • Trees growing or receding (deforestation)
  • People or vehicles moving around
  • A common scene (e.g city street, local community)
  • An rare or unusual scene (e.g. riot, car chase)
  • A recreational or sporting activity
  • Day to night transition
  • Fireworks display
  • An activity in the countryside
  • A fire spreading
  • Fire plane extinguishing a forest fire
  • A rescue attempt
  • An extreme natural event

Leaderboard Rankings  *:read:

A new leaderboard system is currently running for this season. This has been designed to incorporate all challenges, linking with each set of results.

Each place in a challenge has points on offer -- the higher you finish, the more points you gain. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be given out to the top 10 in the final standings, with the winner being crowned the Grand Champion! *:ducky:

This  Extended  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Full details and the current standings can be viewed in the following topic:

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 6 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.

For this  Extended  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 3 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Good luck everyone! *:)

File Size Limits

Understandably, the 2MB limit may be too restrictive for this challenge.

If @philforhockey51 (only current entrant) or anyone else would like to upload a larger animation, please let me know.

Thanks.

VOTING NOW OPEN!
Please visit the challenge album to cast your votes! :read:

Voting will be open for 6 days.

Voting Rules

1. Votes may be cast by rating images inside the album.
  2. You may rate all entries once at any rating value (1-5). All votes are anonymous.
  3. We encourage you not to rate your own entry.
  4. Try to vote on all other entries, as this will help ensure the results are evenly distributed.

Suggested Voting Criteria

Here are some ideas to help you evaluate each entry when voting:

• How well does the animation portray the chosen sequence of action?
  • How accurate are the transitions between frames?
  • Does it appear interesting?
  • The effort you think has gone into producing the animation.
  • To what extent does it create visual appeal?

Results Announcement

Animation Challenge
Create an animated image from your city
Season 3 - Challenge #25 - Extended (25 days)

1st Place 

28  Rep
23  Bonus Points
34  TOTAL Points

Dramatic frames of vast contrast...

Spoiler

The Four Seasons of Meteorakorver

large.Meteora.gif.10505533caf327ee51b62a

"An animated GIF displaying my recreation of the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas in Meteora, Greece along with some of the surrounding scenery."

Wanting to feel closer to heaven, the locals would build their monasteries high in the sky, perched precariously on the edge of sheer granite rock cliffs - truly an amazing sight to behold.

One of the frames in this picture (fall) was originally featured in my "Greece - Part II" update in my CJ, True Earth, so for this GIF I decided to showcase Meteora in its entirety with Spring, Summer, and Winter frames as well. Each frame showcases extensive custom lotting, intricate MMPing, and custom content creation (various terrain mods created for this picture + a number of new MMPs made/modded heavily)

View the Full Resolution image. (4.8 MB)
Click here to view the album entry.

2nd Place 

17  Rep
14  Bonus Points
21  TOTAL Points

Escaping the traffic...

Spoiler

FerryArn71

large.Ferry.gif.6e7987fc5cdb5e265694918e

"Ferry leaving the Wharf"

3rd Place 

11  Rep
9  Bonus Points
13  TOTAL Points

Gliding along in the...

Spoiler

Lions Lighthouse Regattaphilforhockey51

large.58960804b0923_LionsLighthouseRagat

"Every year the Sun Bay Regatta starts in the Lion's Inlet and passes the Lion's Lighthouse as it works it's way around Sun Bay in Mtn North."

4th Place 

7  TOTAL Points

And then there were 7...

Spoiler

Tower lightsTakingyouthere

large.58a14a80b764a_Towerlights.gif.850e

View the Full Resolution image. (13 MB)

Well done to all entries! *:thumb:

The rep prizes have been awarded, with the top 3 images to be placed in the Hall of Fame.

As this was an  Extended  challenge, points will count towards the Weekly and Extended Leaderboard, along with the Global Leaderboard.

raynev1, philforhockey51 and korver like this