• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to a brand new path SparkleCity is going to take, as we construct the region from scratch on YouTube, it's time for @Haljackey to have a little competition. (Note: I only mean that light-heartedly... I do not want actual trouble over amplifying the scale of the Oak Ridges project, seen all 100 episodes, and the major cities will be modeled after that.)

Enjoy the viewing experience... and congrats to @CorinaMarie for achieving moderator! Also, the thumbnail is from the Metro Hamilton City journal by @mp01vic do go check that out...

APSMS, simmytu, matias93 and 1 other like this

Not bad for a first video. My first SC4 video was a lot worse--I didn't have a really good microphone and I didn't do a good job editing it to make it a reasonable length. I'm glad you kept yours relatively short. If you ever feel that you want to do a longer video, it's a good idea to speed it up or edit out the boring parts. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what the interchange will end up looking like!

CorinaMarie and matias93 like this

Great start. With the interchange, I'd recommend only sinking the highway by 7.5m, since that tends to be realistic and reduced the distance you need for the ascent/descent. Pretty much all of RHW that works with 15m also works with 7.5m, and it just looks better in my opinion. I also concur with Compdude; the length is very suitable.

Keep it up!

:) 

CorinaMarie, APSMS and Compdude787 like this

Part two is coming out Friday... gotta do some interchange work off camera, and new episodes will be released Wednesdays...

Here's a look at the national flag for the islands

6ba37e9529.jpg

and Part 2 Is Out!

Compdude787 and CorinaMarie like this

Looks like you need to fix the link to your video in the above post. It says "this video has been removed by the user."  

EDIT: Seems like your YouTube channel got deleted too. What happened?

Silur likes this

On 1/23/2017 at 3:53 AM, Compdude787 said:

Looks like you need to fix the link to your video in the above post. It says "this video has been removed by the user."  

EDIT: Seems like your YouTube channel got deleted too. What happened?

I gusss Haljackey didn't like the competition and shut him down. 

Compdude787 likes this

On 1/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, Compdude787 said:

Not bad for a first video. My first SC4 video was a lot worse--I didn't have a really good microphone and I didn't do a good job editing it to make it a reasonable length. I'm glad you kept yours relatively short. If you ever feel that you want to do a longer video, it's a good idea to speed it up or edit out the boring parts. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what the interchange will end up looking like!

I'm watching your video , I've got my PS3 hooked up to the big flat screen on the wall watching your video. Its nice to just put it on the TV and watch it. I don't care about the length (although that is important for being sucessful on youtube sadly). I prefer it in real time at 1x speed as its very lovely to see what you are doing. When you speed it up its harder to see  the process. Also I enjoy hearing the commentary and hearing you talk about what you are doing.  And while I will sometimes edit out stuff in my videos , in cases like this I like being able to see everything. I'd say an ideal video length would be around 20 to 24 minutes. 

haha , Seattle is known for being rainy haha. 

one thing that irks me is that for a lot of it you are playing on a far out zoom level which makes it hard to see what you are doing. I like to play on 4. really like the music you choose to put in there. Absolutely love the music in fact.  Watching your video is making me want to give the RHW another go. its been over 10 years since I've tried to use it. back then it was a very complex nightmare. It still scares me some. If SimCity 4 had an undo button that would make it much less of a nightmare. 

Please make more videos. really like them. That goes for not just @Compdude787

Compdude787 likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By CorinaMarie
      Introducing Temere Locus, the 3rd map in my could-be-a-real-place-but-isn't series.
      This is a SimCity 4 region I created using the Offline Planet Map Generator. (If you want the program, scroll down there and it's the first linky under the pictures. Get the one that includes the source code because that also has the color table files.) I used 942669825 seed number and magnification set to level to 2.0. To avoid having to adjust the gamma color level in GIMP I set the -i parameter to -0.051 for creating the grayscale image. (This adjusts the initial altitude for the sea level as seen by the Planet.Exe program.) Here's the complete command line I used:
      Planet.Exe -X -pq -s 0.942669825 -m 2.0 -C Greyscale.col -w 1537 -h 1536 -i -0.051 -o 942669825-SC4Gray.bmp
      ^ If that line wraps it's not supposed to when you do that at the Dos command line.
      You might notice the height parameter is set to 1536 even tho we want 1537. This is because otherwise the program will create a single pixel white row across the top which turns into a wall when rendering in SC4. So, once the grayscale was generated I pulled it up in GIMP and scaled it to 1537 x 1537. (This is the size for 6 x 6 large city tiles (36 total). Then I added Gaussian Blur of 15.0 both horizontally and vertically to make the rendered map more slope mod friendly. And finally, I set the mode to true grayscale before saving it.
      The pictures above are:
      Simulated SC4 height map as seen in game of the mini map with All Off and Zones data views. Satellite view from Region Census Traffic view from Region Census To use: Put the three files in a folder called Temere Locus under your Region folder of SimCity 4 in your Documents.  Then simply render in game with Shift+Control+Alt+r from that region screen like any other grayscale import.
    • By Czardus
      I've started a new project:  Capilano Islands.  I'll be posting videos to my YouTube channel as I progress, along with additional background info on my blog.  Here's the first update!
      Blog post:  Capilano Islands - Starting Terraforming

• By Roadman20
      Entry 1: Beginnings of Seattle, Washington... and early setbacks/rebuilding.
      Hello everyone!
      As most of you know by now, I've been showing off bits and pieces of my work in progress of building Seattle, Washington for Cities:Skylines.  I feel it is time for me to consolidate my progress work in a CJ place so I can share and you see my continual work in as close of an interesting city.  Some background on myself, I've loved SC4 finally came back to the city simulator world when Cities:Skylines came out.  My decision to build Seattle is due to living in the Pacific Northwest, although not in the city itself, for a number of years and the challenge it presents to a city planner. 
      So without further ado, presenting Seattle!
      I took Steam workshop map of Seattle and then I roughly recreated the regional highway network.  This work goes back sometime before After Dark.

It was here that began my work on perfecting multi-level interchanges with the signature work on the Interstate 5 and Interstate 90 interchange.  This is first version built in map editor, obviously not perfect.  You'll see throughout this journal the gradual improvement on this design, which influences how I build interchanges now.

As you can see, learning the finer details of onramp/offramp placement is pretty key to making good looking interchanges.  Too bad there was not any retaining walls at the time...

Oh hey, look sunken wall assets are made.  This was my first real test of using them to prop up a hill slope while using duckclog's pillars. Unfortunately, I only had a single save file at this time of Seattle and the save file was corrupted.

Well, it was a learned lesson to have two save files of that ever went down again... but the corrupted file incident provided an opportunity to rebuild in a more correct way.  I started Seattle again in the southern industrial heart near the I-5/I-90 interchange and made some immediate build changes. 
      First, Holgate Street Bridge and rebuilding Interstate 5 as elevated viaduct highway as it should be through this area.  

Second, rebuild western termius of Interstate 90 near Safeco and Century Link Fields.

Rebuilding the Interstate 5/Interstate 90 interchange in it's third and final configuration.  Sorry about the quality of this particular shot... As noted that new placement means a new alignment of the rest of Interstate 90 northward eventually.  Note that Interstate 5 is fully elevated now throughout this shot compared to earlier shots.

Finally, overview of Pioneer Square, Sodo, and Industrial Districts.  Plus, early work on Seattle CBD layout.

Next time, the challenge of building Interstate 5 through the Convention Center.

• By CorinaMarie
      This is a SimCity 4 region I created using the Offline Planet Map Generator. (If you want the program, scroll down there and it's the first linky under the pictures. The one that includes the source code because that also has the color table files.) I used the same seed number as my previous 64 large tile Mon Lacus Map, but this one is a portion of that map having 4 x 4 large tiles (16 total) for peeps who like smaller regions. I used the same 14937910 seed number as before, but I set the magnification level to 2.0. This carves out the middle section horizontally and does not require the vertical stretching that the zoom level 1 does. Also, to avoid having to adjust the gamma color level in GIMP I set the -i parameter to -0.051 for creating the grayscale image. (This adjusts the initial altitude for the sea level as seen by the Planet.Exe program.) Here's the complete command line I used:
      Planet.Exe -X -pq -s 0.14937910 -m 2.0 -C Greyscale.col -w 1025 -h 1024 -i -0.051 -o 14937910-SC4Gray.bmp
      ^ If that line wraps it's not supposed to when you do that at the Dos command line.
      You might notice the height parameter is set to 1024 even tho we want 1025. This is because otherwise the program will create a single pixel white row across the top which turns into a wall when rendering in SC4. So, once the grayscale was generated I pulled it up in GIMP and scaled it to 1025 x 1025. Then I added Gaussian Blur of 15.0 both horizontally and vertically to make the rendered map more slope mod friendly. And finally, I set the mode to true grayscale before saving it.
      The pictures above are:
      Lefebvre2 color scheme with contour lines Satellite view from Region Census Traffic view from Region Census My first second third fourth draft of creating my own color table for the program. It's supposed to be similar to the collage of the data view topographical maps I did for the other map, but without me having to do all that tedious copy and precision pasting. Note: It will show more fine detail  because this is before the rendering and does not take into account the merging/averaging that SC4 does when rendering.  The water will also show more detail for elevations. Those (tho averaged in rendering) are still there, but the color ramp for the mini map doesn't have enough divisions to show them. To use: Put the three files in a folder called Mons Lacus Jr under your Region folder of SimCity 4 in your Documents.  Then simply render in game with Shift+Control+Alt+r from that region screen like any other grayscale import.