• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Convergence

Avalon Indie City-building game Reboot 2017; now 3D.

20 posts in this topic

IMPRESSIVE! (To say the least).

2 people like this

The industry looks big. Good.

2 people like this

One thing I would do is add more car variants, but this is still gorgeous, the amount of detail is astounding.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, BugeyedDragon said:

One thing I would do is add more car variants, but this is still gorgeous, the amount of detail is astounding.

Yes, that's pretty easy thing to do. Thanks for the tip. :)

1 person likes this

It runs like crud on my lousy laptop, but I was still able to move around a look at stuff. The lack of clarity regarding the controls in the game, as well as not knowing the tool macros was a hindrance, but there were already a good deal of things done. I'm not sure what this would offer over, say, C:S (or Citybound, for that matter, but we haven't heard from Anselm in a few months), but aside from view distance on things like automata and the whole 5-20FPS in my browser (It ran out of memory 4 times, and I've got 8GB on my laptop), it shows that you've been really busy.

Not sure if this is better that the 2.5D version you had; that probably would have run better on my PC, but it's a very cool project already, and I especially appreciated the ability to get up close and personal with the people, cars, and foliage, even at the ultra-low frame rates (though, to be sure, SC4 doesn't get that good of framerates on my laptop, which is running something slightly north of an nVidia 520M equivalent; not exactly an ideal comparison).

Keep up the good work; exciting stuff!

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, APSMS said:

---

Thank you; Did you try the first or second link to get that bad performance? 

It wouldn't necessarily offer something better than the titles you mentioned (it's an indie game after all) but I thought variety is nice to have.  

Being a browser-game gives certain options though, such as that players could share a link to their city (or even a specific location in their city) in any social media/forum for people to fly through in real-time, instead of having to resort to screenshots. But I wouldn't market this game for just that tiny feature.

1 person likes this

@Convergence I tried the first link; the second link wasn't up when I checked out the game (or at least, it wasn't visible). At the time the first link only said "desktop only", not high-end desktop only, so I wasn't aware at the time of the optimization priorities.

I'll have to try out that other link soon, and see how it plays.

1 person likes this

Some questions...

Map sizes...

What will they be? Will there be a building / population limit?

How realistic are you aiming to get the traffic simulation?

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, APSMS said:

@Convergence I tried the first link; the second link wasn't up when I checked out the game (or at least, it wasn't visible). At the time the first link only said "desktop only", not high-end desktop only, so I wasn't aware at the time of the optimization priorities.

I'll have to try out that other link soon, and see how it plays.

Sure thing :)

17 hours ago, poshbakerloo said:

Some questions...

Map sizes...

What will they be? Will there be a building / population limit?

How realistic are you aiming to get the traffic simulation?

No map/pop limit other than the hardware in your computer, though I'm still looking how to do seamless tiled maps so a city can extend over multiple tiles of land.

The traffic simulation will probably be a bit rudimentary for a while, unless a volunteer wants to take a crack at a more realistic traffic AI.

1 person likes this

I have an idea (not sure how to implement this, or if you even have done so already but)....

Privatize utilities (water, power, and the sorts) to make extra money. Or perhaps, have the residents pay a utility bill so they don't get water/power for totally free? ;)

Good start so far! :)

On 13/12/2016 at 10:07 AM, Convergence said:

Sure thing :)

No map/pop limit other than the hardware in your computer, though I'm still looking how to do seamless tiled maps so a city can extend over multiple tiles of land.

The traffic simulation will probably be a bit rudimentary for a while, unless a volunteer wants to take a crack at a more realistic traffic AI.

How big will a tile be?

Q and E keys should be used for camera rotation, im so used to using it thats its almost weird not being able to rotate it that way

1 person likes this

Looks good but would limits of webGL be a problem in near future? (Citybound had such issue before restarting in C++ , if I am not mistaken)

Its so nice to see these projects grow. I'm really impressed! However you have really set yourself a massive goal to compete with cities skylines or even citybound (since its road editing is a huge advancement) even though citybound is very slowly progressing. The roads look clunky like cities xxl which were probably the worst roads of any city building game sadly. 

Anyways since you asked for me the three major things that city skylines does not have for me right now are regions (or as you put it unlimited city & pop size), agriculture, and limited road setup. If you were to nail anyone of those it could be fun. 

I tried it, and I must say you've made such an awesome work! I especially like how beautiful the water looks. One improvement that comes to my mind is making the camera less abrupt, since zooming in and out usually is too sharp and you end under the map or looking it from far above. Though it still looks in development it also looks very promising, and I'm sure it can become a great game.

Keep it up, and stay strong with it! :thumb:

More varied cars as someone mention and make the cars go a little bit faster as the now they go quite slow, other than that its amazing.
Keep it up.
Can i ask also is this going to be browser based only or will we see a windows version?