• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   04/30/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Bad Peanut

Bad Peanut sometimes makes things: WIP: Sports Precinct

145 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Turjan said:

The station looks great with the multiple sets of elevators. Very nice update.

The only thing I'm not convinced about is the position of the "maximum clearance" sign. If you use a two-lane road, the sign hangs between the buildings:

Hide contents

dKZ0PbN.jpg

As an aside, I found it really interesting how the game treated the station replacement. The unchanged parts were still there (platforms, roof), while the columns were gone until I replopped the station. This looked kind of funny.

how would you place the sign (I can't think of a better way) - it must be able to cater for both the smaller 16m wide roads AND the 32m wide avenues. I found placing it in the center of the 32m allowed for better reach in either instance. otherwise the sign only overhangs half the road, and depending on if you're playing LHD or RHD it could be on the wrong side.

As to the model needing to be replaced it's because i used sub buildings for the tower this time, sub buildings don't get autoplaced when an asset updates, just like networks don't either. you have to replop the station for either changes to occur

Ah, sub building is the explanation. Thank you!

Regarding the sign, I would prefer it to be on the side on a wide road to the current situation, even if it ends up over the wrong lanes half of the time. At the moment, only the striped edge is above the two-lane road. You could also try a compromise where it is in between the two center positions of both situations.

In the asset editor, can you plop both roads on top of each other in order to avoid the adjustment to become too tedious?

Does anyone know the limit to the amount of sub buildings per asset? I'm just trying to plan out a big project and need to know before I put all the effort into it haha

12 hours ago, boformer said:

I don't know of any limit.

If there is one, it's probably 64 or 128

I though maybe 32 because when you look in modtools there's the entries under sub buildings and they sometimes say 0 - 32? doesn't matter, I managed to get enough for what I want to do anyway :)

10 hours ago, Jerenable said:

its not 15 I know that much as my station uses that much 

yeah flinders uses 17 but i had a few glitches going that high haha all worked out though

Work In Concept: Full Scale University

kb0QGKx.png

It will be called something along the lines of Colossal Order University.
#disclaimer: this is not me starting work on it - not properly. I will be working on it on and off as i work on other projects, purely because this is such a large project and i don't want to put other things off just because this will take a while. 

This is also just a general layout plan/concept shapes of buildings. there will be more details added and several park/beautification sub-buildings as well to give it a more finished look. I will however be trying to be as flexible as i can whilst still controlling the overall layout of the campus as above. This means that the road access to each building will be a small little culdesac thing that you can then link together to create a larger/arterial road (represented by the faded medium road above) that would attach to the road you place the Uni on. This means people will be able to fully control their busier roads.

If anyone believes this to be too small in size for a full scale university (which it is in comparison with some real world ones) Please, please bare in mind just how many hours of work this will take for modelling, texturing and finalising each and every sub building and make sure they all work together. It's already going to be above 17 sub buildings so I won't be adding any more buildings to the mix! Suspend the old disbelief for me for the sake of my sanity! :) 

Hope you generally get/like the idea :)

gfvsims, R3V0, europe.au and 6 others like this

4 hours ago, alborzka said:

Instead of sub-buildings, why not just release each of them as separate buildings? That way you rid yourself of the sub-building headache and people can arrange them in the way they want to?

I'd rather do it with sub buildings. If people want to arrange random buildings together to look like a uni they can already do that. And the headache is more making each individual asset not the actual idea that they're sub buildings :)

*also, the layout of the buildings is integral to the design of the campus as the buildings will form a CO from above.  So i don't want to change that

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, mutton noir said:

Great project. A similar large hospital complex would also be a fantastic addition to the game.

It sure would! But it would take the same amount of effort to do as the university.  As a hobby i don't want this to become a chore and taking on such time demanding and design intensive work is not what I'm going to do unless someone were to pay me for it but i doubt anyone would be willing to play minimum wage in Australia haha (hint it's around for $30/hr for a 3D visualiser with bare minimum experiences)

I'm happy to do the uni but it's with the understanding that i did it whenever i feel like it. It may take a few months or even a year or maybe I'll get a burst of productivity and do it in a couple of weeks.  That's the beauty of being a hobby

Edited by Bad Peanut

Hey Bad Peanut, appreciate the time, design & IT skills and you and others devote to the creation of so much superb content available on the workshop. You guys have transformed the game and have helped steer the direction of  C Skylines development by Colossal Order. since launch. Always impressed at how folks manage to juggle their hobby with real life/work pressures. 

Bad Peanut likes this

It seems to me that, with the exception of possible props specific to each use (and I did not find much...), the same building can be used in both contexts, without modification.

On the basis of the game, without any mod, most buildings would be Unique Building. 1 or 2 buildings only would be "education" and would require a "health" version for the hospital. Using Ploppable RICO, you can extend the functionality of the Unique Building by adding definitions. Let us note that, again, it would have little impact on creative work.
In my opinion, the only building requiring a specific design would be the Research Laboratory which could be multi-function (with a sub-building connected to the tracks).

By doing a little more foresight (but, in this case, I admit that it is outside the scope of your project), it would be possible to further increase the functionalities of certain buildings.
Here is a proposal of what the project could be, with limited additional investment.

Building 1
Administration building (university & hospital) => office*

Building 2
Research Laboratory (university) => education and office*
Research Laboratory (hospital) => health and office*

Building 3
Classrooms (university) => education
Trauma center,  Cancer center, Children's hospital – Maternity hospital or Rehabilitation hospital (hospital) => health
Funerarium (hospital) => dealth

Building 4
University residences / Dormitories (university) => residential****
Seniors' (geriatric) hospital (hospital) => residential***

Building 5
Restaurants / Shops (university & hospital) => commercial*

Building 6
Sports fields / Gym / Swimming pool (university) => parks and health**

Building 7
Documentation Center / Library (university) => education****

* with Ploppable RICO
** Snowfall DLC (Sauna template): the sauna offers the interest of improving the health of its visitors (unlike other health buildings that only accommodate sick cims).
*** With Functional Nursing Homes for Senior Citizens (BoostHungry's mod): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554232266
**** With mods to develop... If modders read these lines and are interested in this project, here is the detail of the developments.
Mod on the Sauna system, without Snowfall DLC:
1/ The level of health increases for the Cims who practice sports activities.
2/ The level of education increases for the Cims who visit libraries, museums, theatres...
Mod based on Functional Nursing Homes: the same functionality for students (Source:
https://github.com/BoostHungry/SeniorCitizenCenterMod
).

schokoladeneis 1 likes this

4 hours ago, Dezelles said:

It seems to me that, with the exception of possible props specific to each use (and I did not find much...), the same building can be used in both contexts, without modification.

On the basis of the game, without any mod, most buildings would be Unique Building. 1 or 2 buildings only would be "education" and would require a "health" version for the hospital. Using Ploppable RICO, you can extend the functionality of the Unique Building by adding definitions. Let us note that, again, it would have little impact on creative work.
In my opinion, the only building requiring a specific design would be the Research Laboratory which could be multi-function (with a sub-building connected to the tracks).

By doing a little more foresight (but, in this case, I admit that it is outside the scope of your project), it would be possible to further increase the functionalities of certain buildings.
Here is a proposal of what the project could be, with limited additional investment.

Building 1
Administration building (university & hospital) => office*

Building 2
Research Laboratory (university) => education and office*
Research Laboratory (hospital) => health and office*

Building 3
Classrooms (university) => education
Trauma center,  Cancer center, Children's hospital – Maternity hospital or Rehabilitation hospital (hospital) => health
Funerarium (hospital) => dealth

Building 4
University residences / Dormitories (university) => residential****
Seniors' (geriatric) hospital (hospital) => residential***

Building 5
Restaurants / Shops (university & hospital) => commercial*

Building 6
Sports fields / Gym / Swimming pool (university) => parks and health**

Building 7
Documentation Center / Library (university) => education****

* with Ploppable RICO
** Snowfall DLC (Sauna template): the sauna offers the interest of improving the health of its visitors (unlike other health buildings that only accommodate sick cims).
*** With Functional Nursing Homes for Senior Citizens (BoostHungry's mod): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554232266
**** With mods to develop... If modders read these lines and are interested in this project, here is the detail of the developments.
Mod on the Sauna system, without Snowfall DLC:
1/ The level of health increases for the Cims who practice sports activities.
2/ The level of education increases for the Cims who visit libraries, museums, theatres...
Mod based on Functional Nursing Homes: the same functionality for students (Source:
https://github.com/BoostHungry/SeniorCitizenCenterMod
).

all very good ideas however I won't implement them for one simple reason: I don't want mods (like RICO or the Nursing Home Mod) to be a requirement for people to get it (it often scares away subscribers) BUT in saying that I wasn't going to have all the buildings education, some will be an unique building office template (like CO offices or transport tower) which will fulfill job requirements and the hospital will certainly be the right template and maybe a crematorium as well because uni's often dispose of cadavers after using them by incineration towers. I won't use the Sauna template as not a lot of people like/have snowfall and thus won't subscribe (look at that big station on the workshop by Jerenable i think who requires it for the trams. subscriber ratio is low and i think that's one of the contributing factors) 

Also if you're asking modders to mod in that sauna system without the need for snowfall DLC i think that's a little unethical. it's one thing for CO to implement mod inspired functions into the free game but to mod paid expansion feature just sounds practically illegal. But I'm not sure that's what you said so maybe I misunderstand. rereading now maybe you mean to add the sauna functions onto buildings like parks but it will only work if you own snowfall? that would be ok.

thanks for the feedback and input! :) I've started on something else for now anyway :D 

Hi,

first thanks for the great stuff you made so far for CS.

I have a question concerning your sotunder railway station.

Is there a way to use it as railway and metro station same time. Normally I do this, by creating a new version of a station with the asset editor and then add this new copy to the Train Converter config file.

But as I can not choose the sotunder station as template for a new object this does not work here. Therefor I would kindly ask for a MOM version of this wonderfull station.

I guess that I wanted to use for both networks in one map shows how much I like your station,

Next up: Sports Precinct - stage 1: the soccer stadium!

WTBQcPu.jpg

gT9Lw8P.jpg

it all works exactly the same as the normal match day stadium EXCEPT there is no animated soccer game on the field. It can't be copied across due to the same limitations of the cargo hubs (not being able to copy the animated cranes). Everything else. the stands, the crowd (1375 capacity!), the match and the colours all still work!

Wjmh3em.jpg

as you can see the stadium will be slightly bigger than the vanilla one :) the overall sports precinct will be probably take up double the size above. :D 

This is just an early stage with a small amount of proof of concept to it. however my concept is much larger than what is currently in game so hopefully it all fits together nicely!

vitusweb, jzeltman, Avanya and 5 others like this

Wow that stadium goodness! I'm working on a stadium as well, did you just have to use the DLC as a template? or how do you ensure that the stadium functions as the default stadiums?

Just now, jzeltman said:

Wow that stadium goodness! I'm working on a stadium as well, did you just have to use the DLC as a template? or how do you ensure that the stadium functions as the default stadiums?

just copy the template across with modtools

10 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

just copy the template across with modtools

Could you please make a short tutorial for ModTools noobs?

I was just wondering why there are no functional Match Day stadiums on the workshop, as far as I know.
This would open new possibilities to include different sport events!

Have you customized the position of the stands or are they just copied from the mesh of the Match Day stadium?