• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Bad Peanut

Bad Peanut sometimes makes things: WIP: Sports Precinct

145 posts in this topic

That looks like a lot of modeling work.

I checked out some pics of the irl station.

I think it could be a little darker and less vibrant, and maybe accentuate all the little details, because I can see they are there just not very visible so it makes it looks flatter.

And the roof has more rust or whatever that brown thing is on the copper roof, it's not that clean green.

Also the entrance corner looks a bit weird and broken where it connects to the ground but I assume that's wip.

Needs more nopes. 

Like spiders, snakes, human sized bats and etc. 

But so far it looks freaking fantastic. 

9 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

That looks like a lot of modeling work.

I checked out some pics of the irl station.

I think it could be a little darker and less vibrant, and maybe accentuate all the little details, because I can see they are there just not very visible so it makes it looks flatter.

And the roof has more rust or whatever that brown thing is on the copper roof, it's not that clean green.

Also the entrance corner looks a bit weird and broken where it connects to the ground but I assume that's wip.

I should say that everything but the heritage looking part have no normal maps as of that picture haha so hopefully they're the only flat looking parts (yellow and red brick buildings do have all their maps)

and I'm still playing around with the ground connection bits

With the roof -  it uses one texture coordinate for all 8 sides of the dome, if i add a browning affect it could look a bit too repetitive? do you think i still should? - I was trying to save on space in the diffuse by only mapping one face and repeating them.

In terms of darkness - it could go darker (and I agree) but i'm thinking that it does get that bright in direct sunlight but most of the time melbourne is overcast like the european map theme (which it looks much better in) - what do you think? make it darker and risk it being too dark in other themes?

Also just a a general query: the road that's on the short end (the tram road in the pictures) should i embed that in the model (because it's actually 2m higher than the terrain) or let the player figure it out - first means i would set it to be a tram road and the asset would need snowfall to work, the second option would mean a bit of confusion for subscribers but more choice in terms of road placement... I'm torn

Holy crap - that is awesome! I remember walking past it when I was in Melbourne once - such a beautiful building.

8 hours ago, mrsmartman said:

It would be good if more facades could be added to the station.

what do you mean? It's got all the facade of flinder's street station - there's no more to add??

mrsmartman likes this

LOVE IT! I'm a huge fan of Melbourne and this station is such a beauty to look at. Thank you for doing this. I'm blown away. 

9 hours ago, donoteat said:

I like big stations and I cannot lie.

Can we use it like a through-station like the real thing, or is this a stub-ended terminal? 

it's through :) the tracks turn into tunnels at the swanston bridge end so you can continue the tracks and bring them back up to surface whenever

donoteat, Turjan, mrsmartman and 1 other like this

13 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

what do you mean? It's got all the facade of flinder's street station - there's no more to add??

I always think that is an unfinished station without a canopy due to budget constraint.

Moreover, the owner of the station can take advantage of the air rights attached to the station.

On 03/12/2016 at 2:36 PM, mrsmartman said:

I always think that is an unfinished station without a canopy due to budget constraint.

Moreover, the owner of the station can take advantage of the air rights attached to the station.

hahahah I'm just recreating what's current - i was debating doing the original design but it makes more sense for people to have what's there at the moment if they want to try and recreate melbs a bit.

mrsmartman and Avanya like this

Magga cammara, that looks good! I love that mesh roof. I think this could make a really good main metro station as well.

Excellent stuff. This is exactly the kind of model that we need more of in the workshop. Looking forward to it!

What inspired your roof structure, or the whole station in general?

Looks awesome! I'm amazed that to date no one has attempted to create any of the iconic London stations- St Pancras would be amazing

21 minutes ago, mutton noir said:

Looks awesome! I'm amazed that to date no one has attempted to create any of the iconic London stations- St Pancras would be amazing

i think it's the effort that goes into it haha - a little daunting - flinders was hard enough

22 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

i think it's the effort that goes into it haha - a little daunting - flinders was hard enough

I can only imagine! I'm in awe of your skills and talent. Respect!

How can the elevated track would be the cross point to about midway of the station, Mr. BadPeanut is what measures?

Hey guys, just a quick screenshot of the trains I'm working on now, this is my first vehicle asset and by god they are a hell of a lot more difficult to do - what a learning curve. Still I think they'll turn out ok :) they'll be released in 3 car set and 2x 3 car set (6 car set). These are the B Class trains in Perth, WA. Still working on getting the UV mapping ok and making the textures.

Here's a reference picture:

tr4783.jpg

and here's my WIP model:

58c81a30d87ce_Screenshot25.thumb.png.9f9b5eb2b77ce0382fe94211f99e3a41.png

Stanil, R3V0, Alexgru88 and 6 others like this