• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Haljackey

Show us your: Failures!

14 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Thin White Duke said:

This happened a few months ago, and because I'd been fighting for so long with this single interchange I just got fed up and left it sitting for a long time. Only recently have I fixed it.

-snip-

You know, I had the exact same issue working on a quite similar interchange like what you made there. My creative (abeit time consuming) solution was to extend the ramps, which was PITA because I ended up demolishing nearly everything to redo the T interchange. >.<

On a side note here: this is the result of me eyeballing the interchange instead of counting the amount of tiles I have to spare. Because if I demolish the ramp then I have to redo the flexfly and the bigger ramp...ftfGrfm.png

Thin White Duke and korver like this

On 10/28/2016 at 0:14 AM, Thin White Duke said:

This happened a few months ago, and because I'd been fighting for so long with this single interchange I just got fed up and left it sitting for a long time. Only recently have I fixed it.

[pic]

Yeah, you can't have two FlexFlys overlapping each other. Apparently, that takes a lot of code to get that to work. 

Tarkus, rsc204 and APSMS like this

On 10/28/2016 at 4:50 AM, simmytu said:

On a side note here: this is the result of me eyeballing the interchange instead of counting the amount of tiles I have to spare. Because if I demolish the ramp then I have to redo the flexfly and the bigger ramp...

I think you may be pleased with some of the work going into the next NAM (v35). ;)

(aaaand I've said too much :lol:)

matias93 and peperodriguez2710 like this

From the very get go, I had a feeling this would probably turn into a second NAM/RHW tech support thread.:rofl:

On 10/29/2016 at 0:19 AM, Compdude787 said:

Yeah, you can't have two FlexFlys overlapping each other. Apparently, that takes a lot of code to get that to work. 

Indeed . . . it's not off the table, but it's a ton of adjacency code.  We have to not only account for the behavior at the point where the FLEXFlys cross, but also, the tiles next to the crossings with both FLEXFlys.  The one proposal that was most feasible was Ganaram's idea, that we only allow FLEXFlys to cross one another at specific points, rather than every single tile.  We could at least handle some of the more common situations that way, like T-interchanges.  It'd be somewhere in the range of 50,000 lines of RUL2 code that way, rather than hundreds of thousands.  Depending on how the network flags are set up, it's possible that RUL1 code could be invoked, which could cut it down closer to 10,000.

For reference, I added somewhere around 80,000 to 100,000 lines of RUL2 code to the FLEX Height Transition stability improvements in NAM 35.  I still haven't gotten to adding the same bells and whistles to the FLEX OnSlopes yet.

-Tarkus

On 3/23/2017 at 8:00 PM, Haljackey said:

I forgot a connection...

It would be ok if the next u-turn wasn't 25 miles down

On 4/17/2017 at 7:15 PM, kingofsimcity said:

When you make too many textures and forget the IDs you previously used:

You mean that's not the new eco-friendly concrete that sucks up leaked oil?

raynev1 likes this

If a farmer ever needs to get to their fields fast... they had better use a tractor with nitrous oxide injection on that motorway stretch, though.

Heres a Sims failure:

simspriv.jpg

Abandoned due to commute time... except that green square/park is a custom park with 2500 civic jobs (and 10K cap relief).  I guess thats what society considers part of the unemployable.

raynev1 likes this