• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

30 posts in this topic

I don't want to ask too much of you guys... but would it be possible for you to also create a version of this track that is visually identical, but allows trams instead of trains?

Wooow, that's so cool, reminds me of GTA San Andreas :D. Can you give me the name of that building in the 4th picture? Please :) 

Nice job you got there, glad to see our LRT problem is solved. With andre's metro overhaul and this, we pretty much covered every major means of transport, maglev/monorail is the only last thing we need. 

Great job guys, very good indeed. 

PS: It's railnetwork skin yes ?

23 minutes ago, R3V0 said:

Nice job you got there, glad to see our LRT problem is solved. With andre's metro overhaul and this, we pretty much covered every major means of transport, maglev/monorail is the only last thing we need. 

Great job guys, very good indeed. 

PS: It's railnetwork skin yes ?

Not quite. This system is made on the basis of the train system, which means that sections of this cannot be combined with sections of street running. It's not actual light rail, but rather a train line reskinned to look like light rail. It's really pretty and I absolutely love it, but it doesn't allow for true light rail that can have both street running and grade separated stretches.

9 minutes ago, wasmic said:

Not quite. This system is made on the basis of the train system, which means that sections of this cannot be combined with sections of street running. It's not actual light rail, but rather a train line reskinned to look like light rail. It's really pretty and I absolutely love it, but it doesn't allow for true light rail that can have both street running and grade separated stretches.

I don't care at this point. ;) If it runs like this in a city, it's a LRT for me, period. A true LRT would be a tram skin but its turning angles are pretty annoying it also has lower priority in transportation, aka cims don't take it if they see bus or other alternative. This will to the job nicely as a LRT if it's used properly. 

Just now, R3V0 said:

I don't care at this point. ;) If it runs like this in a city, it's a LRT for me, period. A true LRT would be a tram skin but its turning angles are pretty annoying it also has lower priority in transportation, aka cims don't take it if they see bus or other alternative. This will to the job nicely as a LRT if it's used properly. 

I dunno what you're talking about right now. If this is LRT for you, LRT has been possible in CSL for a very long time - even since before Snowfall. Tram as LRT is not prioritized below buses, and if it runs on dedicated track (where the speed limit has been raised using TM:PE) it is prioritized at the same level as metro.

Anyway, I'd very much like to have this mod - or, rather, just the tracks - in a tram-track version, if it's not too much trouble for the creators. That would also allow one to create something like the Karlsruhe model, which is a pretty nice and interesting solution for public transit.

bsquiklehausen and Alexgru88 like this

On 15-10-2016 at 11:56 PM, wasmic said:

Anyway, I'd very much like to have this mod - or, rather, just the tracks - in a tram-track version, if it's not too much trouble for the creators. 

In my opinion it would only make sense if you reskin the Tram Only roads (don't know their exact names). But the again you would have the problem with certain trains/trams taking 90 degree turns, which can look weird.

Also, Light Rail is a very unspecific description and can take many forms, sometimes depending where you live. Where I come from, Light Rail doesn't run through streets, we call that a tram by definition. :P 

mikamaty likes this

On 15-10-2016 at 10:31 PM, Ombladon156 said:

Can you give me the name of that building in the 4th picture? Please :) 

It's a vanilla Unique Building, but it might be part of a DLC if you can't find it there.

In the title picture at the very top, what are those white houses with the white front fence walls at the sidewalk? They look very SoCal. I must have them!

18 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

In my opinion it would only make sense if you reskin the Tram Only roads (don't know their exact names). But the again you would have the problem with certain trains/trams taking 90 degree turns, which can look weird.

Also, Light Rail is a very unspecific description and can take many forms, sometimes depending where you live. Where I come from, Light Rail doesn't run through streets, we call that a tram by definition. :P 

That's what I was going for - an alternate skin for Tram Only roads that looks like this, but without the annoying pedestrian paths that the Tram Only roads have. Preferably made in a way so that both can be used in the same city (perhaps network skins, although that mod can't remove the pedestrian paths AFAIK).

I already have light rail lines in my current city using tram vehicles as LRV's, and it looks just fine.

If you want a real life example, the light rail line that is being planned in Copenhagen will supposedly have some 90-degree turns towards one end of the line. I'd personally call that line a tram and not a light rail, since it will have a bit of shared right-of-way with the general traffic, and most of the line will run in a road median.

Another example is in Karlsruhe, where trams run along in shared traffic (with 90-degree turns in certain places, IIRC), but also continue out onto main-line rails. I'd really like to recreate such a system in C:SL, but that would mean drawing the Tram Only roads out across the landscape, and that would look very ugly - which is why I'd like a tram-version of this rail asset.

mikamaty likes this

So... how is this mod coming along? From the images, it looks like it's ready for release, but there's obviously something that isn't quite done yet. Can you put a time-frame on when we can expect it to be released? It looks really really nice and I want to play with it :)

Tim The Terrible likes this

3 hours ago, wasmic said:

So... how is this mod coming along?

It won't be a mod. It's a combination of assets and mods. First we have the Train Stations and the Train itself which will be published soon. The second part was meant as a Proof of Concept where I customized certain Network Meshes using ModTools. Network Skins will support these options in the future, but only @boformer can tell us when and how.

odrzutowiec and mikamaty like this

2 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

It won't be a mod. It's a combination of assets and mods. First we have the Train Stations and the Train itself which will be published soon. The second part was meant as a Proof of Concept where I customized certain Network Meshes using ModTools. Network Skins will support these options in the future, but only @boformer can tell us when and how.

Now that sounds exciting, that's even better! I don't really care for the train (because I prefer to use Snowfall trams for light rail, and have too many train assets installed already), but the stations look awesome and also seem like they could fit well in roles other than as light rail.

On 25.10.2016 at 6:44 PM, Tim The Terrible said:

Tim, have you ever thought about merging your work at Expo Line with newly released MOM. Because it already allows to select track type, so no need to wait for update of network skins which will support custom rail meshes. But then we have to wait for one-way MOM tracks.

1 hour ago, Igorp133 said:

Tim, have you ever thought about merging your work at Expo Line with newly released MOM. Because it already allows to select track type, so no need to wait for update of network skins which will support custom rail meshes. But then we have to wait for one-way MOM tracks.

Thank you for your interest!

Yes, we are working together with @andreharv and @BloodyPenguin to make something that works for the Expo Line. It is however uncertain what the end product will be and when this will be released.

More information to follow.

@Tim The Terribleplease send me those spectacular rails and I will put them in MOM right away.  I am currently getting the 3rd rails separated from the tracks for easy toggle...ability..and while I am at it I can update the rails too.  If you send me the models and textures I would love that and I would include you as a contributor to MOM.  Just send them to andreharv@yahoo.com (if you are willing to share) and leave me a message on steam when you do.  I just ran across this thread yesterday and it looks very impressive.  Keep up the good work!

Superb job guys- another quantum leap for the game. Unfortunately I just don't seem able to get multi track station mod to work with MOM.

Are those the Japanese catenaries? They fit in very well. I'm really excited for those station props (dem turnstyles *drool) and stairs the most. Will you also release the green fence?

Igorp133 likes this

28 minutes ago, accapulco said:

Are those the Japanese catenaries? They fit in very well. I'm really excited for those station props (dem turnstyles *drool) and stairs the most. Will you also release the green fence?

We will use custom Expo Line catenaries, but Joak used the Japanese in his screenshots (since only I have the custom ones). The Japanese catenaries are available for Train Tracks using Catenary Replacer

So now that it seems like this is going to be part of MOM, will it also be  released for Network Skins when that mod is finished?

Igorp133 likes this

On 16-12-2016 at 10:48 AM, wasmic said:

So now that it seems like this is going to be part of MOM, will it also be  released for Network Skins when that mod is finished?

MOM will get a toggle for Third Rail and Catenary. Network Skins will eventually support Train Tracks, but I don't know if Network Skins will support MOM in any way in the future.

14 minutes ago, j4lambert said:

So for the P3010 train, will it be released in multiple configurations?

Yes: 2 (1x2), 4 (2x2), and 6 (3x2) in lenght.