• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

See who gave reputation

1. heartattoo_gsc

heartattoo_gsc

2. Elitejohnson

Elitejohnson

3. metarvo

metarvo

4. raynev1

raynev1

5. fredinno

fredinno

6. RaffAlbert

RaffAlbert

•  
  • Similar Content

• By NICK97
      I made a new community website for users to download, uploads mods and media related cities xl, cities xxl, SimCity, SimCity 4 and cities skyline, 
      Feel Free To Check Out My Community Website URL Link: https://www.citiesxlmods.com
    • By Cyclone Boom

General Feedback Thread - 

To help pass the time until the Awards Ceremony, here's a place to share your experiences of the new Trixies format. 
      What went well, and how can they be improved for next year? 

As you're likely aware, this Trixies introduced various changes. Not only being the first time multiple years (2015 & 2016) were combined, but notably nominations were accepted in a special forum, allowing you to post and edit them in private. Based on your ideas, the Default Awards List was also created, and intended to provide a suitable baseline to cover the wide range of site contributions.
      In summary, here's a few possible possible topics of discussion:

Award Categories
        Total available default awards: 101 Custom Content: 34 City Journals: 40 Community: 27
        Too little?  Just right?  Too many? Spread between categories. Coverage of types/themes? Any confusion or conflicting awards? Did the descriptions help or hinder?

Nomination Process
        How did you find it compared to years gone by? Were the instructions clear and easy to follow? Was it helpful to edit and view your nominations? Any issues along the way?
        Duration of nomination period: 23 days (including the 2 day extension). Too short?  Just right?  Too long?

Trixies Build-up
        Interviews To what extent were they helpful / enlightening? Types of questions asked? Format / presentation. More for next year?
        Content lists (2015 / 2016) Did they help with your decision making? Were they a useful reference? Should all content have been included in the lists? Grouping per author or per category?
        Community discussion How could this work better in future?
        Anything else which could be done in build-up?

Trixies Promotion
        Too sparse?  Just right?  Too excessive? When did you first become aware of the Trixies this time? How useful was the info banner at the top?  Should anything else have been included? Were the countdown timers helpful? Visibility of the Trixies forum. Should any other banners have been added? Homepage features -- were they useful or too repetitive?

Anything else?
        Post away!  
      We're always looking to improve the Trixies, and this was really a learning experience for everyone. Hopefully it worked well as a comeback after being absent for such a long time. But like anything, there's always room for improvement going forward.
      So if you've any comments or suggestions (even not on the above list), big or small, please post below and we'll take them into consideration. Feel free to post multiple times in this thread to your heart's content.
      And of course, you don't have to answer all the above questions -- they're just pointers.
      Thanks!
    • By Cyclone Boom

Award Category Ideas - 

Much like the Oscars, the Trixies just wouldn't be complete without The Awards themselves! 
      Here is a thread where you can suggest what default categories you'd like to see...

The Trixie Awards traditionally feature a selection of categories which can be used to submit nominations for. These have ranged from content on the STEX, creativity in the CJs, to wide-ranging contributions in the forums. With the previous 12 editions of the Trixies, the categories have been pre-defined by the admins, and the only method of suggesting different awards was by submitting a custom nomination.
      So starting for the 2015-2016 Trixies, prior to the start of nominations, we're opening up the suggestions to the community!

Last time the Trixies were held, the categories were simplified in an attempt to make the process less overwhelming. When in actual fact, all this did was the precise opposite. There were fewer nominations per category, and less variations of each type of award. For instance with custom content and CJs, there were only more general themes, which encompassed the more niche categories.
      This time, by allowing you all to choose what you'd be interested in submitting nominations for, hopefully it can provide a much broader selection to choose from. This should also help with searching for possible candidates, as it will give a clearer perspective.
      In other words, we're asking you to nominate awards, to be used as the awards!

Post Your Ideas Below
      You may add multiple posts with multiple ideas, or single posts with single ideas -- it's completely your choice...
      Just remember we're looking for the title here, for example:
      Best Llama Impression
      OR
      Most Likely to outrun a Llama
      OR
      Llama Dedication Award

And feel free to discuss and hit the  button for ideas you, hmm, well... Like.
      They will then be populated into the below index lists for final consideration by the Llama Crew.

Similar with how it worked in 2014, there will be at least 3 types of general awards:
      (There could be more yet, we'll see...)
      Custom Content
      Buildings, lots, mods, maps, and their many variations.
        City Journals
      Types, styles, genres, themes, countries, presentation, etc.
        Community
      Forum awards, site contributions, members, staff, special mentions & moments, etc.  
      At this stage, ideas don't need to be specific for a particular game or year (2015 or 2016), as most awards can be doubled up for that purpose.
      Also don't worry about duplicating someone's idea. That just proves it's a good one!
      Whether big or small, we look forward to hearing your ideas!

• By Cyclone Boom

Community Build-up Discussion - 

465 days and counting... It's been a long time since the previous Trixies 
      So this is the perfect time to share and discuss notable contributions...

Make no mistake, so much has happened between the ceremony of the previous Trixies. On the STEX, in CJs and throughout the forums, there have been many memorable moments. Although unless anyone regularly visits all areas of the site, keeping detailed running notes over the last 2 years, we realise it would be very tricky to remember more than a handful of items or events. With so many outstanding widespread contributions, it's so easy to lose track. Maybe even forget items which we thought were truly remarkable at the time.
      That's why we're starting this Community Discussion, so we can together help each other recall the various noteworthy and significant contributions.
      Just to clarify, the goal here is not to develop a ballot paper or set list of candidates, but instead, spread greater awareness before people go to the polls. The Trixies are never intended to be a popularity contest or a campaign of who made the 'better' content. That's not in line with the sense of community spirit in which they're run. Nominations will always be conducted anonymously and made at the discretion of each individual. In no way should the items/authors discussed here be the sole options to nominate.
      The thing is, by us all pitching in with notable memories from 2015-2016, it then aims to help with making your own measured judgements. Encouraging you to investigate the items discussed, and perhaps discover things you may have not otherwise known about, or have possibly overlooked.
      Also for newcomers who may not have been around since the start of 2015, this aims to inform and give everyone a greater understanding. Remember, all community members are eligible to receive a Trixie, so the power is still in your hands to make the pivotal choice.
      In short, this discussion simply intends to put ideas out there for everyone to decide on their own, with a broader perspective.

Discussion Guidelines
      To help ensure this is conducted fairly and follows the above principles, here are a set of guidelines to follow when posting:

All Examples mentioned...
      E.g. STEX files, CJs or other site contribution:
      a) Must be submitted or occurred in the eligible period (2015 or 2016).
      b) Was created by or relates to someone in the Simtropolis community.
      c) Does not concern yourself.
      d) Are linked in your post, so others can check it out for themselves. (Feel free to use the auto-embed previews which resolve for links.)

Provide a few details about the Example, aiming to use a non-persuasive informational tone:
      For instance, where applicable: What is it? Who created it? What does it do or show? How was this a highlight for you? In what ways did you find it useful or interesting?  
      For each Category, please provide at least 2 applicable Examples, from 2 different Authors.
      E.g. Custom Content
      Author A
      Created this rustic commercial BAT that functions as a growable CS$ and a ploppable Landmark.
      Author B
      Created a set of filler Lots, which can be used to construct a custom park.

4. (Optional)
      Along with each Example, ONE image may be included, to help with the objective of informing.
      E.g. Custom Content
      This may show a way you've used the item in the applicable game.
      City Journals
      This could be an image embedded or linked from the author's CJ. (Please don't re-upload!)
      Community
      Might not be applicable, but if you can depict a notable other community contribution using a picture, go for it!

Special Mention
      Thanks to @T Wrecks for thinking of the concept for a Trixies discussion thread in the first place!

So without further ado...
      Post away with what you found memorable...

• By Cheddar
      Hey there, everyone! I rarely post topics here, so I am more or less just a dweller in this website. Been a member for about five years over two accounts. I'm posting this topic just to mainly inform everyone here that I decided to base my final paper in my Advanced Skills & Composition class on this fantastic website. 
      As the title suggests, I have to observe a community, take detailed notes, and explain how that particular community utilizes language. Essentially, I will be browsing around the community, observing and taking notes on how everyone uses language. If anyone is inclined in helping, feel free to do so. Just keep these following guidelines in mind:
      How is the language used to form hierarchies? How is friendship revealed? What purposes, both obvious and subtle, does the use of language specific to this community serve?  Feel free to also mention any notable events that have occurred in the community over the years. I did learn about John Winterton's passing shortly after it was announced, so no doubt that was a huge blow for the community. 
      One thing I would like to ask is, what are all the reputation "levels"? My current reputation in the community is respected, so I was wondering what the other levels could be, as that may aid me in my paper. 
      Thanks for reading this and if you are inclined to include anything about the usage of language in this community, that would be much appreciated and thanks in advance! 
      *add* After posting, I noticed a "rank" if you will, under my username, so if anyone would be willing to tell me what the other ranks are, that again would be much appreciated.