• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Simmer2

Simmer2's Lots and BATs Lab

119 posts in this topic

From here it looks like a perfect palette, the models that were too bright on my screen are now very easy on the eyes.

We gotta figure out how to do automata, I need double stacks running through my cities pronto!

Simmer2 likes this

5 minutes ago, CT14 said:

We gotta figure out how to do automata, I need double stacks running through my cities pronto!

If I remember correctly about the (apparently successful) inverse process done by Badsim and @rsc204, in this case you would need the original models to create the automatas... even if I have some doubts, considering that the containers are boxes themselves. I guess MGB would have some idea about an strategy to ease this.

Simmer2 likes this

Wow Nick, great stuff, knowing your keenness for angles, families and timed props, these are surely going to be the go-to pack of containers. If I had to nit pick though, some of the colours do seem a little off to me, especially the DHL yellow which should be brighter IMO.

If you want some suggestions to fill out the list, how's about DB Shenker and Agility logistics, both fairly major shipping companies. For some reason I also have a thought about "Cheese It" logistics (fictional) in my head, probably with Bender on it and a tag line like "When your goods need to be gone... fast!".

5 hours ago, matias93 said:

in this case you would need the original models to create the automatas... even if I have some doubts, considering that the containers are boxes themselves. I guess MGB would have some idea about an strategy to ease this.

The key difference between Automata and Props is that the former are True 3D models, but Props (BAT Models) are simply 2D shapes given perspective by the way the textures are rendered. So you can take automata and turn them into props, but the process would not work the other way around. You are correct that to make Automata you will need the 3D modelling files, but the way you make automata is very different to rendering a BAT. The biggest hurdle is that automata/3D models have to be super-efficient, something like 500 polys max, because when released hardware couldn't cope with 3D models everywhere. Whilst I suspect that's not really an issue today, this is a hard-coded limitation. Vester has some excellent tutorials on the processes to make Automata. But, if like me, you are making models (BATs) for SC4 with reckless abandon re: the polys. For example my Convenience store has something like a couple million of them. You need to be much more efficient at the process. That's in essence why SC4 models will always look better than those from C:S, because it doesn't matter how many polys you use, you only have to be able to render them. Once in-game, they are simple objects with a texture applied, so you can go nuts on the detailing without bringing the computer to a halt. Put a few multi-million poly 3D models in C:S by comparison and watch your computer melt.

5 hours ago, matias93 said:

If I remember correctly about the (apparently successful) inverse process done by Badsim and @rsc204,

Badsim worked out something I could never get working, how to use such True 3D props as flora in an MMP.

CT14, matias93 and Simmer2 like this

@rsc204

Its actually " DB Schenker" and I will include that label, thank you for the suggestion. Agility Logistics logo is not on any containers, they are a massive delivery company that use other shipping companies for containers and have their own truck fleet to deliver the goods. They do have a beautiful logo on their truck trailers though.

Cheese it logistics is tastier but the chunks are so big that they cannot fit into containers therefore they are shipped on massive ships....*:lol:

rRrVcUJ.jpg

matias93, Fantozzi and mrsmartman like this

Hey @Simmer2, Since ya got the CN Trailer why not add some more of the "Rail Only" Container people. Like

CSX

513181_CSX-tomorrow.jpg

CP
cp_rail_photo_by_michael_mcgowan_smaller

J.B. Hunt and Swift

swift.jpg

Canadian Tire

cdau32004.jpg

EDIT: Also surprised TROPICAL hasn't been done yet.

N-45-Ft-Corrugated-Container-Tropical-45

mrsmartman and Simmer2 like this

@AsimPika3172 I should be able to squeeze at least one or 2 of those in my final pack.

However I'm taking a bit of a break from making containers, so I dusted off an old fave of mine which I have been slowly making over the last few months. I do have the front section almost done.
What I'm about to show you is part of something absolutely colossal that actually rode on rails.
This is a small fraction of the assembly, what do you think it is?

Simme2/Nick

11hh1.png

I think that's for the rocket at the launch site *:D

It may also be useful at the shipyard and to move the skyscrapers !

Simmer2 likes this

Please, allow me to dream in public ... in your thread ...

... but for a long time I dreamed about to see some 'animation like' like this in the video below. I'm pretty shure you would only need 4 or 5 timed props to do this: a train car loaded with a container, the train car without container. The lifter without container , the lifter with the container over the train, the lifter with the container over the truck.

Seeing your recent work made me dreaming again.

6 hours ago, Simmer2 said:

However I'm taking a bit of a break from making containers, so I dusted off an old fave of mine which I have been slowly making over the last few months. I do have the front section almost done.
What I'm about to show you is part of something absolutely colossal that actually rode on rails.
This is a small fraction of the assembly, what do you think it is?

Would that, by any chance, be the Schwerer Gustav ("Geschütz Dora") railway gun?

Guys...I'm working on the automata for all freight cars in North America. I've spent years making them. The RRW made me go back and revise the models I was running. Now I'm making the real length cars. Going back through with the knowledge ive gained is making really good models...as small as possible. I will start a thread eventually. Already I have about 1200 unique cars in my library...all types...mostly photo textures...it looks awesome. So, finally, it is coming. 

Here is my experiments which are being improved:

http://imgur.com/a/swwRb

Cheers 

tiger

Yarahi, Tyberius06, Simmer2 and 6 others like this

@Simmer2 Oh...so many beautiful Containers :D

Say,i was cruising around the Container Harbor in Los Santos (GTA V) and found a few more fictional Containers and i also was able to extract some of the Textures.

Are you maybe interested?

This is what the Brands look like:

GTA5%202017-04-23%2001-52-17-77_zpsswunq

GTA5%202017-04-23%2001-54-21-26_zpsc1y3g

GTA5%202017-04-23%2001-53-45-55_zpsj9cav

GTA5%202017-04-23%2001-45-45-81_zpsqy9uk

Sure,most of them are just Spoofs of real Live Brands (JETSAM is MAERSK, Post OP is UPS etc...) but it might be fun to add them :D

I managed to extract the Texture Overlays for the JETSAM,BILGECO and Post OP Brands as png. Files (and yes,they are semi transparent Overlays.)

mrsmartman and Simmer2 like this

@tigerbuilder That is just awesome!!! It will save a ton of work on my part. Vester was going to make mine into automata but this!! this is incredible!

Would you mind posting on my thread over at SC4D what you posted here? Or if its ok I could mention your work over there.

Let me know.

@Hotwheeler Label hunting is now over. I finalized 50 all together, I think its enough for props.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Simmer2

schokoladeneis 1 and Fantozzi like this

3 hours ago, Silur said:

More rusty objects - YOU can do it !!!

I agree - if you look on the first picture the white pipeline (NOB?) and the all grey tanks, in combination, together makes things looking very uniform. But imho this is a lotting question - you could learn this from @T Wrecks - it's just to put something in between to decentralizise the colours - some rusty barrels (like the yellow barrels on the upper fence - how much they do, to spice up the lot) some weeds growing between the pipes and tracks (some green). So even if the main props are very uniform in colour - with lotting it is possible to correct this.

I simply think the lot isn't still finished and you can add a 'rusty' touch with some smaller props here and there - also with weed growing - weed on industrial lots is a part of this 'rusty' touch.

Silur and Simmer2 like this

I never insist on RUSTY ITEMS - I just re - re - re For my own Santana Island CJ.

590326d234d7f_WreckShipbyNBVC.jpg.aaea5f9bf58254f812121b8f722dae43.jpg 

I love all the work by NBVC - he always does excellent things, and He not sculpts endless Park-Lots... *:thumb:*:thumb:*:thumb:

I think that SC4 is now gone so far that people need or gum from MAXIS or great things from SM2, NBVC and OTHERS Great SC4 Artists *:D

Simmer2 likes this

Very good suggestions everyone!

@matias93 aye I'm aware, however her hard drive crashed a while ago and she lost a lot of finished work. I would also be devastated if something similar happened to me.

It has now been almost a year since I started this project and I would not presume to push her any further therefore I will re-do what I can with my models and release the assembly.

If @MushyMushy decides to restart this project and re-do those absolutely amazing models in the future then I will re-lot it all again and release a newer version. It would not be a big problem for me.

Simmer2

This is going to be awesome! The adaptation to SC4 based on the RL lot is looking very good, especially the pond with that lovely bridge *_*

The green areas are also truly beautiful :)

Simmer2 likes this