• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Ronyx69

Ronyx: WIP Post Office, WIP Japanese High School, WIP Pools

496 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

Just did some tests and copying the submeshes from a bus to a sedan works and saves, changing the texture and shader saves as well.

Changing the mesh doesn't save though... no idea why and how to fix it.

@boformer any ideas? I think you were looking at the capabilities of submeshes once upon a time

11 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

@boformer any ideas? I think you were looking at the capabilities of submeshes once upon a time

Vehicle Submeshes? No idea.

12 hours ago, boformer said:

Vehicle Submeshes? No idea.

Or building submeshes but all good!

Old news by this point but I finally got around to using the retaining walls and holy crap they're excellent!

the_central_artery_gets_retaining_walls_

Ronyx69 likes this

Streamed today to mess around with mass transit / update...

Not sure if suspended monorail with a submesh would work because the people wait for the train beside the track, and I can't change the door position of the trains, so the people would be above the track and enter above the track as well so the station would need to cover up this space above the track so you can't see the floating people? Would look weird.

There's a new shader for a floating building - the boat musuem thingy.

Also I started some river rocks: kinda meh up close but ok from a distance.

Gaqq4pU.jpg

vFvFsjz.jpg

FF0YWxZ.jpg

Dezelles, nos.17, Alexgru88 and 4 others like this

Needed to double post for this:

The monorail uses the ship shader.

I copied the cable car mesh onto the monorail, stuff below 0 doesn't spin so straddlers should be possible out of the box. 

Which is also a plus for suspended monorail. The only thing about that is door positions where people enter, and the position where people stand beside the track to wait for the train...

schokoladeneis 1 likes this

Any idea for that "dirt" texture on monotrains Ronyx ? They look quite bad and I've yet to find a solution 

On 5/18/2017 at 10:46 PM, R3V0 said:

Any idea for that "dirt" texture on monotrains Ronyx ? They look quite bad and I've yet to find a solution 

Seems like that is part of the ship shader.

The solution would be to use the main mesh only for the windows/lights which uses the ship shader.

And then have a submesh for the main body of the train which uses the prop shader or some other shader.

Only thing is we need saveable submeshes for vehicles...

Released some rocks:

VA0qMwr.jpg

pX6mwUH.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=930012701

Have been finishing my really big airport project using alot of your awesome props. One of the most central for one concept is the ploppable asphalt together with @Lost_Gecko's concrete walls. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with prop count :( One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

20E271706CDFFCBD51A9E3A32A1F3D040507ADC5

8 hours ago, leosten said:

One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

I don't think Ronyx will add more prop sizes to his mod in order to keep the mod filesize as low as possible but it's possible to make our own props. I can look into it but I can't say where exactly it will fit in my schedule...

leosten likes this

41 minutes ago, Lost_Gecko said:

I don't think Ronyx will add more prop sizes to his mod in order to keep the mod filesize as low as possible but it's possible to make our own props. I can look into it but I can't say where exactly it will fit in my schedule...

I would never expect anything from all the awesome modders of this game. Your work is what makes this game great and all of us are thankful for the time you put into it! 

Good to know there at least is a possibility for it, I think the fake slabs will be enough to remove for now to finish it. 

21 hours ago, leosten said:

Have been finishing my really big airport project using alot of your awesome props. One of the most central for one concept is the ploppable asphalt together with @Lost_Gecko's concrete walls. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with prop count :( One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

Cool.

I'm not making a bigger version because of the culling issues - they disappear at certain angles, it already looks terrible at very specific angles with the current props, it would be even worse with bigger ones, as big chunks of asphalt would just disappear when looking around. Building don't have these culling issues but unfortunately the RoadBridge shader looks completely screwed up when it's a building.

12 hours ago, Lost_Gecko said:

Filesize really is just bragging points at this point, it doesn't reflect the actual amount of memory usage because of the loading screen mod. I still like to keep file sizes small though.

1 hour ago, leosten said:

I was looking at that actually but it doesn't seem to work properly with Move-It among other mods, at least not with the ones plopped outside of the count. Not sure that is an option actually. Thanks though!

Yeah I recommend only using it for props you definitely won't move, like random stuff in backyards or decals in nature, so that the total user prop usage is reduced at least a bit.

WIP Pools:

ttgUY5E.jpg

Random idea...

Flat looking thingy:

6IkM9qE.jpg

AO rotors shader sub-building (pushed out 3cm):

wukAbnQ.jpg

Combining both thingies:

69A8wum.jpg

So you could not worry about AO in the main model and make that as efficient as possible with repetition and such...

And then make a more optimized model for the AO, you could even add stains on it, shiny normal mapped stains even, and then add that as a sub building.

The rotors shader layer could be very low poly and only in bigger flat areas, and the textures don't need to be big since it's less visible and would go on top of the main model/texture.

Also I'm planning a ModTools for beginners video, what do you want to see in that?

30 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

Also I'm planning a ModTools for beginners video, what do you want to see in that?

One thing that would be quite interesting is how to find the currently selected building (BuildingTool) or network (NetTool), and how to find the asset opened in asset editor.

The copy/paste feature is also quite important, and an explanation what "null" means.

The difference between a building/tree/prop instance and prefab

Modifying arrays with scripts (like light effect arrays)

Ronyx69 likes this

modtools tutorial sounds great, i'll definitely be watching that one. I struggle finding things and knowing what I can change and what I can't change.