• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Ronyx69

Ronyx: WIP Post Office, WIP Japanese High School, WIP Pools

496 posts in this topic

Fantastic. This was something I was hoping for, along with a similarly broken old graying wooden fence. You know the kind, with every few fence boards barely hanging on or fallen off.

You have seriously raised the bar for this game!!!! I said bad words in a positive way when I saw that nuclear plant image above. *:thumb:

Ronyx69 likes this

So frustrating...

Oef2xyI.jpg

I'm trying to finish the jp warehouses I started a while ago,
this is one of them, both walls on the sides (but not the front/back) look like they are in the shadow on the lod.
The third one has the same problem but only on one side.

I tried resetting smoothing and normals, editing the normals manually, importing a flat normal map, nothing changes.

I can't figure out why this happens, it's very noticeable because a sunlit wall suddenly turns dark on the lod.

gfvsims likes this

Color variations messing with you perhaps? Other things I can think of which might cause something like this would be specular map.

Ronyx69 likes this

Um... maybe the mesh is mirrored in one direction (y probably)? This problem applied partly to the vanilla terminal building I'm modifying - after mirroring the UV in some direction the problem was solved :)

Ronyx69 likes this

Post office!

I love it.

Something else I'd like to see in this same vein are some branch libraries, something every city has, but aren't in the game.

Ronyx69 likes this

I just finished my sewage treatment plant and your Japanese warehouses fit perfectly for a little corner I didn't know what to do with. Excellent work as always. 

Ronyx69 likes this

Very nice looking theme and LUT. 

What are those tall white apartment buildings in the second picture?

On 2017-3-27 at 6:20 PM, Ronyx69 said:

This is how to run it for vehicles, yes. 

However I would expect it to ruin a vehicle, because the vehicle shader contains the functionality for vehicle lights and spinning wheels.

The answer is...

The answer is most likely submeshes - VehicleInfo, just like BuildingInfo, contains m_subMeshes, which are additional meshes which have their own textures and can have a different shader. I know for a fact this is used for the poopflow of the vanilla sewer outflow.

I have not tried it yet because I was too excited to get out the apple store as quickly as possible, so I used sub-buildings instead.

More research needs to be done, but my best bet is just importing the "wannabe-submesh" as a prop and save it. Then import the vehicle as normal and copy the mesh and material from the prop into the vehicleinfo as a submesh using modtools. Only hope is that the asset editor actually saves the submeshes. 

EDIT:

It spins... probably because it's meant to be a rotor or something, idk how to make it not spin. I put the glass cube on the bus as a submesh:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Only hope is that the asset editor actually saves the submeshes. "

- how did you end up getting the new submesh to save? I'm trying to override a submesh but it just doesn't work - gives me an error. Did you do anything else aside from what's mentioned above? I copied the mesh and textures across but they just wouldn't save

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

"Only hope is that the asset editor actually saves the submeshes. "

- how did you end up getting the new submesh to save? I'm trying to override a submesh but it just doesn't work - gives me an error. Did you do anything else aside from what's mentioned above? I copied the mesh and textures across but they just wouldn't save

Just did some tests and copying the submeshes from a bus to a sedan works and saves, changing the texture and shader saves as well.

Changing the mesh doesn't save though... no idea why and how to fix it.

Bad Peanut likes this