• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   04/30/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Ronyx69

Ronyx: WIP Post Office, WIP Japanese High School, Released River Rocks

488 posts in this topic

I second that: thank you for your awesome March Decal Madness, Ronyx!
I don't use the decal mods (I invested too much in terrain themes and the Theme Mixer mod), but each and every one of the 'normal' decals is just fantastic!

So, what's up for April? *:D

Ronyx69 likes this

Thx for providing your source files for the Apple Store. I'm trying to figure out how to use sub-buildings... just quickly, what is the process and order of objects to build the complete Apple Store in the Asset Editor?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

Thx for providing your source files for the Apple Store. I'm trying to figure out how to use sub-buildings... just quickly, what is the process and order of objects to build the complete Apple Store in the Asset Editor?

Import stairs and water as props.

Import the to-be-subbuildings - underground store and cube.

Reload game, so the subbuilding shows up on the next load, but it crashes if you try importing a building twice for me anyway...

Import the plaza and then add underground subbuilding, place stairs and water props, add cube subbuilding.

There's more testing to be done because apparently rotors lod works ok if it's the main building, but I haven't tried.

Streamed on Twitch a bit and fine tuned some tiling issues and the LUT: It's done I think - unedited screenshots btw

6j4zxIP.jpg

dZSI6TB.jpg

egddA0U.jpg

viVhUO3.jpg

Ip8Oa42.jpg

h7Y68Kp.jpg

4yKPRvv.jpg

mcaMjQb.jpg

dDacLso.jpg

U0BS1de.jpg

Edited by Ronyx69

Posted (edited)

Streamed a bit and continued the nuclear power plant, got the cooling tower and pump from @Jerenable.

Textured the cooling tower pipes:

YzWixui.jpg

Adjusted the tower a bit, split it into 4 quarter sub-buildings, because it's 20x20: (that small bright thingy is a car)

jKHjeuX.jpg

Neat:

H8MuUkg.png

Edited by Ronyx69

That nuke plant is looking really impressive. No surprises there.

After that's done, what's on your to-do list?

On 4/5/2017 at 9:36 PM, Matthias King said:

That nuke plant is looking really impressive. No surprises there.

After that's done, what's on your to-do list?

No idea, maybe it's already on the mind map, maybe something new I suddenly think of.

Streamed for 4 hours and continued the nuclear power plant again: textured the tower and started adding detail and texturing the pump building

C5P13Km.jpg

BQeZKpn.jpg

tCBPftc.jpg

Just now, Ronyx69 said:

Streamed for about 4 hours again:

Can we just use the vanilla carousels as the baseline for all assets :D ? makes any asset look optimized

(the tri count is a bit wrong, it counts only one cooling tower but it would still be less than 3 carousels... so about 32k)

p6snv5D.jpg

Also size comparison to vanilla nuke:

VLWiMkD.jpg

Still have to do the other textures, the lods, and put it all together... can't believe I'm finally so close to done after something like 90h of streaming.

The number of dank memes in this stream...was too high! :rofl:

Lost_Gecko and Ronyx69 like this

Just now, schokoladeneis 1 said:

"(...) and put it all together (...)"

will it be one big asset or is the powerplant modular?

It will use the sub-buildings enabler, so it will be ploppable as a complete set, or you can just use any of the sub-buildings on their own however you want.

I think you should make a video of yourself putting it all together with the sub-building enabler in real time, so we can all see exactly how it's done!

alborzka likes this

3 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

It will use the sub-buildings enabler

I think you mean the native sub-building implementation. SBE is outdated.

8 hours ago, boformer said:

I think you mean the native sub-building implementation. SBE is outdated.

No it isn't, the buildings can't be used on their own if they use the vanilla sub-building thing.

The only thing I will use the vanilla sub-buildings is putting together the cooling tower, because it's split into 4 quarters.

I am so confused. Is there a guide anywhere on the current state of sub-building usage? What can be done and what can't and how? I'd really like to learn how to do it but don't know where to look. I know others are in a similar situation.

Man that vanilla nuke plant looks puny in comparison *:D

Looks smashing, and the size is positively monstrous! Appears to be roughly in the same league as the old Dampfkraftwerk Donaustadt that has been pulled from the Workshop ages ago (luckily I saved it locally for... well... "archiving" purposes...)
Any idea what the final file size for the whole package (building and props) will be, ballpark estimate?

Avanya likes this

7 hours ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

I am so confused. Is there a guide anywhere on the current state of sub-building usage? What can be done and what can't and how? I'd really like to learn how to do it but don't know where to look. I know others are in a similar situation.

The mod has its own documentation, and the vanilla implementation has the ui ingame - bottom right corner you can add any building, and then in the properties there's a sub-building tab where you can type in the coords. The mod lets the buildings be used seperately, but the vanilla puts the buildings inside the main building asset so they can't be used seperately.

5 hours ago, Judazzz said:

Man that vanilla nuke plant looks puny in comparison *:D

Looks smashing, and the size is positively monstrous! Appears to be roughly in the same league as the old Dampfkraftwerk Donaustadt that has been pulled from the Workshop ages ago (luckily I saved it locally for... well... "archiving" purposes...)
Any idea what the final file size for the whole package (building and props) will be, ballpark estimate?

~34 MB if I'm lucky... 

Today streamed a bunch to make the lods and the other textures, messy and boring, nothing to show really, ended on frustration with max failing to render the bake for idk what reason.

13 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

No it isn't, the buildings can't be used on their own if they use the vanilla sub-building thing.

The only thing I will use the vanilla sub-buildings is putting together the cooling tower, because it's split into 4 quarters.

Pretty sure they can be accessed by FindIt for those who really want the individual parts, if you'd like to avoid using the mod.

2 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

The mod lets the buildings be used seperately, but the vanilla puts the buildings inside the main building asset so they can't be used seperately.

Really? So it only publishes on crp?

11 hours ago, Avanya said:

Pretty sure they can be accessed by FindIt for those who really want the individual parts, if you'd like to avoid using the mod.

No.

9 hours ago, boformer said:

Really? So it only publishes one crp?

Yes.

Anybody can get my apple store and look at it - the entire store (main building and 2 sub-buildings) is one .crp and the cube/store sub-buildings cannot be used seperately, it's all packaged inside the plaza asset. This is ok for the apple store because the parts are unusable on their own. The water and the stairs are props btw.

But for the nuclear power plant I want both options to be inside one workshop item, without having duplicate assets, because the file size will already be huge.

I will use the mod, so the 10 buildings can be plopped as a complete set, or they can be used individually however people want to use them. The only thing I will use the vanilla sub-building system for is the cooling tower, the tower itself is 20x20 cells so I split it into 4 quarters, which will be added to the towerpipes main building as sub-buildings.

_Beardmonkey likes this

1 hour ago, Ronyx69 said:

I will use the mod, so the 10 buildings can be plopped as a complete set, or they can be used individually however people want to use them. The only thing I will use the vanilla sub-building system for is the cooling tower, the tower itself is 20x20 cells so I split it into 4 quarters, which will be added to the towerpipes main building as sub-buildings.

The behaviour could be changed with a simple mod:

// SaveAssetPanel
private GameObject InstantiateSubBuilding(GameObject template, string saveName)
{
	component.m_placementStyle = ItemClass.Placement.Procedural;
}

This single line of code in SaveAssetPanel must be changed to spawn menu entries for the sub-buildings. You can either remove the line to keep the original placement style of the assets, or use Manual to spawn menu entries for all sub-buildings.

Tim The Terrible likes this

3 hours ago, boformer said:

The behaviour could be changed with a simple mod:

// SaveAssetPanel
private GameObject InstantiateSubBuilding(GameObject template, string saveName)
{
	component.m_placementStyle = ItemClass.Placement.Procedural;
}

This single line of code in SaveAssetPanel must be changed to spawn menu entries for the sub-buildings. You can either remove the line to keep the original placement style of the assets, or use Manual to spawn menu entries for all sub-buildings.

this is definitely undesirable - it would clutter the hell out of all the menus with all the extra "buildings" that can't actually do anything because they're all dummy AI

3 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

this is definitely undesirable - it would clutter the hell out of all the menus with all the extra "buildings" that can't actually do anything because they're all dummy AI

But it's exactly what Ronyx wants.

On 29/01/2017 at 8:16 PM, Ronyx69 said:

What's the point of having a pavement prop if you can just use surface painter or pavement brushes and put decals on top of the pavement?

Or do you want your own custom textured concrete slabs, on top of which you can use decals?

That might be possible, just have to test out how the UV works and how the game decides to change the size of the prop.

Any change you think a custom textured decal could work now?

Posted (edited)

On 4/9/2017 at 9:38 PM, Sparks44 said:

Any change you think a custom textured decal could work now?

You mean a prop with a texture on which you can put decals? Probably, haven't tried anything.

In the meantime here's a mod idea I had for a while, thanks @TPB for doing most of the code: Transparent Selectors

10E1M7M.jpg

j656L2f.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903347963

Update 1: Construction cost tooltips fade out as well.

C9MxW5zXsAEQe1U.jpg

Edited by Ronyx69

On 27/03/2017 at 6:20 PM, Ronyx69 said:

The answer is most likely submeshes - VehicleInfo, just like BuildingInfo, contains m_subMeshes, which are additional meshes which have their own textures and can have a different shader. I know for a fact this is used for the poopflow of the vanilla sewer outflow.

I have not tried it yet because I was too excited to get out the apple store as quickly as possible, so I used sub-buildings instead.

More research needs to be done, but my best bet is just importing the "wannabe-submesh" as a prop and save it. Then import the vehicle as normal and copy the mesh and material from the prop into the vehicleinfo as a submesh using modtools. Only hope is that the asset editor actually saves the submeshes. 

I was wondering how exactly you did this? as far as i know vehicles don't have any submeshes, and when i browse m_submeshes with modtools it has "list is empty" so how do you create an instance in m_submeshes if there isn't one in the first place?