• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   04/30/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Angry Mozart

Modern Freight Cars Props

144 posts in this topic

For me #1 with the #2 coal colours. The shape of the coal in the car is better on #1, as DavidDHetzel's picture shows, but the colour of the coal look better on the second picture. :)

To me all three look overcharged compared to the picture from DavidDHetzel.

Another vote for #2 here, looks good to go.

Like @T Wrecks said, with bright areas like that on the coal on #2, I check the far out zoom previews to make sure the bright part of the model doesn't end up rendered too large in the distant zooms.

This was something I had to tune for all the lowrider models, to make sure the bumper or small shiny bits like mirrors didn't take up half of the car at zoom 1/2/3. I change the values for Saturation/Value/Specular Level in increments, only to the point where they no longer cause the problem, then leave settings there.

For darkening textures like this coal a Specular Map would work, I use 0.3/0.7 or 0.7/0.3  +/-0.2, depending on which way I want to go.

I always fall for this when I'm creating...spend too much time on something we won't notice much. 

I think they all look ok. Sure...you could do more with your photo editor maybe...but these look pretty good. 

The only thing I notice is the "fullness" of the cars. Just like David's picture above, the railroads don't top off the car. They load by weight. Having some of the inside of the car side visible would help looking at these loads. 

Great work, 

tiger

Seems the coal settles into a mound shape. Some of the car inside walls showing, and some coal poking up along the car spine. @DavidDHetzel had another photo near the end of the last page. Here's another modern prototype, similar cars to the above models.

PRB-coal-trains.jpg

Thank you everyone. After doing some research, I found the shape of the coal load is determined by the  loading process. The mounds freatured on the picture @DavidDHetzel posted are examples of mounds formed by modern loading process, in which, the coal is poured as the train is moving, leaving a very smooth, flat profile on the top of the load as shown on this picture. 

train_loading.jpg.0b6bda00ca9929adacdf16768fca241f.jpg

The mound showed on the car #1 is intended to simulate this loading process, although I need to work more the shape of the mound

The irregular coal mounds are formed by older loading process where the train cars remained static as the coal was poured, or in process where the coal is loaded by heavy duty equipment, such as bulldozers: IMG_9745.jpg.ae1803c63abc5c7ddfaf5dedd1b42966.jpg

#2 is an example of a car loaded by one of these process.

I think I could keep both, with #1 in  bethgons and 100-ton 3 bay hoppers, while #2 will only appear  in the 100-ton 3 bay coal hopper, but it's just an idea.

The cars were "overfilled" on purpose to show the shape of the mounds. I will make them look less overfilled later. Also, I'll work on the textures, making them  darker to resemble real coal.

CT14 likes this

Looks good to me, on an older screen and a newer one.

On the alternate paint style on the rightmost car, the grey color on the left of the car could be a little darker. On unit trains of those cars which I have seen, the contrast between the two colors of the car is greater. The lighter part of the car looks just about right, though.

I've been working on the coal load shape for the bethgons. I  like this one:

Also, I worked on the textures. The loaded bethgon have a darker shade of gray than its unloaded version. The coal is darker too. What do you think?

47 minutes ago, Angry Mozart said:

What do you think?

To me not always everything is a question of realism but sometimes a question of 'colour composition'. If you put a brown car with brown load on brown tracks most probably in game everithing wil look without shapes so colour contrast sometimes can be more important than colors matching real life.

And I'm doing this BLABLBLA because I don't have much to say as I think those grey car is perfectly textured. I like the precise details on the wall and the overall colour. Maybe the empty car on the inside could be darker, more dirty. Not shure if necessary.

Oh, they are great.

Again on the load - it's about the slope of the pile, I think. The grey cars are a good example. You have shadows on the borders as on the borders the load won't be much more than 80% of the car - even if the centre of the pile extends the car. Looking perfect. On the brown cars the slope of the pile don't seems steep enough. You have no shadows between the cars wall and the coal filling so it seems on the outside the pile fills the car 100%. IMO - it's this shadow, the small gap between the cars borders and the coal filling that makes the realism - not the height or shape of the peak.

CT14 likes this

That we are nitpicking at this level is a compliment to your Bats.

I think that this version looks fantastic.

You could always make a later on version like "coal edition" if you thought it would be fun to make different loading methods loads...but for now let's just say the "sim loader" loads like this. I think it could help you to keep moving forward on your awesome project if this could be considered good for now. 

Just my thoughts. I always look forward to your posts. 

Cheers, tiger

T Wrecks likes this

@tigerbuilder  I think this one will be the definitive load for now, I'll just work on the details that @Fantozzi pointed at. In fact I got stuck with this part (hopper and gondola loads) for months, so I decided to work on it just when everything else were finished.

The first part of this prop pack is almost ready,  so this is the last thing that I left pending: The gondola loads. I have 3 different loads for them:

• Aluminum can bales
  • rust scrap metal
  • mixed scrap metal

So, what do you think?

Nice! Just a few thoughts:

The can bales could use a little more variation, rotation on the Z axis would help, and maybe position some of them just a tiny bit higher or lower on the Z axis so they stand out more from each other.

For the rusty metal load, the texture is really great but the load mesh could use more angles so that the walls of the car show in some places on the edges. Like this: /\-/\_/\/\...

The mixed metal load looks good as-is, maybe rotate the texture as for can bales.

T Wrecks, tigerbuilder and Fantozzi like this

The can bales - much better, really like them as they are.

The metal scrap - looks very realistic to me. Good job.

The shredded metal (third car?) - not shure, to me it seems I see 3 regular diagonal lines on the texture forming an unnatural zigzag. But @CT14's suggestion would fix that. Or - if not maybe it's me (but I don't take this drugs you see faces on the wallpaper or secret messages on train car loads).

That's really looking fantastic. Great job. This is going to be an epic prop pack for rail fans. Cheers to you for keeping up your project.

*:thumb:, tiger

Silur likes this

I didn't saw that already ! You're offering us a very interesting topic :thumb:There are already lots of freight cars available, but rarely in HD, and not always that detailed. That's a needful work ! Thanks a lot *:yes:

I don't know if you plan to add engines to all that, you're doing what you want. But I support @Simmer2 advice about shunter engines, those things are everywhere and essential in large industrial facilities and freight yards, and in the same time there are lacking in SC4 (as far as I know, there are one or two japanese automatas and that's it). That's something I'd like to do myself anyway if you prefer to spend your time on other things, but maybe I could suggest you the french class Y8000 engine which is like the one and only model of shunter engines used in France for decades. One made and all possible french freight yards are covered :8)

Thank you everybody.

I know that perfection doesn't exist, and I don't plan to reach it,  I just want this prop pack to be as good as possible. I think it's almost ready, like 90% ready. I just need to export some models and test it, and if everything is going right, release it. 

@Krasner I was planning to make a few shunter locomotives, the american EMD SW series that  @DavidDHetzel suggested, specially the SW1500, but that will take some time. It would be interesting making an european prop pack, something I've thinking these last weeks, but I don't know a lot about european trains but I will consider it.

korver, Krasner, Silur and 1 other like this