• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us with our donation goal for a new Chat upgrade!   04/17/2017

Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
CorinaMarie

C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

105 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

I believe this might be the culprit. Although that does change the coloring to a grayscale appearance, it is still likely in RGB file format. Look for an option to actually change the mode to grayscale.

The grayscale height-map could be 8-bit and 256 shades of gray, but it must also be 'indexed' specifically as a grayscale image otherwise SC4 will simply render a flat region. 

CorinaMarie, RobertLM78 and huzman like this

SC4_Terraformed_in_Game_zpsvgs2ocv4.jpg

Here is a single large tile I terra-formed by hand using SC4 terra-forming tools.  In City View.

Sc4_Region_View_zps0ngbib94.jpg

Here is the single large tile in Region view.  Now I load the Region into SC4 mapper and create an .SC4M file.

SC4M_Map_zpseq52gr8s.jpg

Here is the tile loaded into SC4 Mapper and printed out as a .bmp file which could potentially be converted to a grayscale.

SC4_Region_View_SC4M_zpskghzxjyu.jpg

Here is the .SC4M file used to re-create the region with the single city tile.

SC4 Mapper can be downloaded from SC4 Devotion.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2880

The demonstration above is to show how we can create terra-formed regions in SC4 with our own hands using the terra-forming tools in SC4 and then save them with SC4 mapper and share them.   below is the SC4M file created from my tile that I hand-made.  

Simtropolis.SC4M

11 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

64 x LENGTH IN km + 1 = # PIXELS FOR GREYSCALE MAP

So, for 5x5 large map file:

64 x (5x4) + 1 = 1281pixels, or 1281x1281 pixels, since it's a 5x4 large map. 

I don't get the same results... 64x5+1=321 in my calculator.

Also, how do you do 64x(5x4) ? You are talking about "5x5 large map file", so where does the 4 come from ?

RobertLM78 and RandyE like this

The 4 comes from the fact that one single large tile requires 4x4 pixels in the config.bmp. So when you have a region that is 5 large tiles wide you multiply the 5 times 4 to get the number of pixels wide the config.bmp needs to be. So rearranging that formula:

5 (large tiles) x 4 (pixels) = 20 x 64 (in-city tiles per pixel of config.bmp) = 1280 + 1 (for whyever it needs a plus one) = 1281 pixels for the grayscale.

huzman, RobertLM78 and RandyE like this

30 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

5 (large tiles) x 4 (pixels) = 20 x 64 (in-city tiles per pixel of config.bmp) = 1280 + 1 (for whyever it needs a plus one) = 1281 pixels for the grayscale.

Huh... learn something new everyday.  I thought that was supposed to be because a large map is 4km x 4km, but you're explanation seems equally reasonable.  Either way, the formula works!!   *:D

(Haha - 'for whyever it needs a plus one'... I always thought that was a bit weird too, though I'm sure there's a good reason for it) 

huzman, RandyE and CorinaMarie like this

5 minutes ago, RobertLM78 said:

I thought that was supposed to be because a large map is 4km x 4km, but you're explanation seems equally reasonable.  Either way, the formula works!!   *:D

I'm not sure if I read my explanation in some other thread or not. Like you say, either way works. Taking this a little further here's the same for medium tiles. Let's say I want 5x5 mediums instead of large tiles.

5 (medium tiles) x 2 (pixels) = 10 x 64 = 640 + 1 = 641

Or 5 x 5 smalls would be:

5 (small tiles) x 1 (pixel) = 5 x 64 = 320 + 1 = 321

huzman, RandyE and RobertLM78 like this

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

5 (small tiles) x 1 (pixel) = 5 x 64 = 320 + 1 = 321

Aha ! It just cleared something : "tiles" is a synonym for L, M and S Cities, as well as meaning pixels, if I got that right. That's why I got 321 in my post above. Merci.

RobertLM78 and CorinaMarie like this

19 hours ago, rsc204 said:

The function to render greyscale maps from region view is exceedingly limited in terms of what it will accept. You'd be much better off using an application such as SC4 Mapper or Landscape designer to create the actual region heightmap. Armed with an export from these, you can simply select your new region as you would any other.

For anyone looking to make their first maps this is true as stated in my original post. If you want something better, check out the links to those programs in said first post. The method(s) outlined in this thread are for those who enjoy working with alternative ways to create SC4 maps.

Speaking of alternatives, here's a variation of the same theme. Go to donjon's Fractal World Generator page. Here I've selected my own settings:

01%20Main%20Screen_zpseb66zgjf.jpg

Then I clicked the Create button:

02%20Created_zps1otxmgip.jpg

I then did a Right-Click on the image and selected Copy. (If you do a Save-As you get a .gif file.) I then pasted the copied image into a new file 1026 x 513 pixels. Next, in GIMP, I scaled the image to 1025 x 513 and added Gaussian Blur of 15.0:

04%20GBlur%2015.0_zpsnpvkear3.png

Converted to Grayscale and adjusted brightness to -35 and contrast to +20. Saved as a .bmp format:

06%20Gray_zpsjawkfbhm.png

Then rendered in totally vanilla game and added Maxis trees:

06%20RVT_zpsqzcx8dug.jpg

I believe it turned out rather well for such an inferior map making method. *;)

RandyE, RobertLM78, Silur and 4 others like this

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

For anyone looking to make their first maps this is true as stated in my original post. If you want something better, check out the links to those programs in said first post. The method(s) outlined in this thread are for those who enjoy working with alternative ways to create SC4 maps.

You misunderstand... I don't mean for creation of the actual map, I meant to export the "texture" or heightmap into an SC4 format I'd use SC4 Mapper or Terraformer. Simply because in practise it will iron out any issues which the in-game rendering mode doesn't handle.

I think your unique approach of creating the height maps is quite useful. Since it provides a nice random way of getting started, for those who don't have a specific source of inspiration as a basis.

RandyE, huzman and CorinaMarie like this

5 hours ago, huzman said:

"tiles" is a synonym for L, M and S Cities, as well as meaning pixels

In the BMP file, a (red) pixel is a small city-sector (or a 4x4 cluster of blue pixels is a large city). Therefore, these pixels really are the cities / tiles (which I call sectors).

I try to avoid using the words "city" and "tile" around here because they're each used for multiple things, sometimes causing confusion. Following the game's lead, "City" usually refers to one sector of a region. However, it is also sometimes loosely applied to a whole region or a real-world city that spans several sectors within a region (e.g. The "real" San Francisco in my life-sized SF Bay Area spans a dozen or more "cities").

"Tile" is often used to denote a "city" sector, but you'll also sometimes see it used for one tiny square covered by a lot or road (e.g. triple-tile wide avenues). I've taken to using "sector" to denote one mayoral slice of a region, and I haven't yet had to pick an unambiguous word for the little squares that define lot-size and road-width.

huzman, CorinaMarie, RandyE and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, RobertLM78 said:

Reminds me of fracplanet .

Nice find. I've bookmarked that. I'm sure you noticed the linky on donjon's site to other versions of Fractal Worldmap Generator.

1 hour ago, jeffryfisher said:

I try to avoid using the words "city" and "tile" around here because they're each used for multiple things, sometimes causing confusion.

That's a good idea. In my own mind my region is a State and the city-tiles are Counties.

1 hour ago, jeffryfisher said:

I haven't yet had to pick an unambiguous word for the little squares that define lot-size and road-width.

For me they are parcels.

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

That's a good idea. In my own mind my region is a State and the city-tiles are Counties.

For me they are parcels.

I also consider city 'tiles' as something of a county or parish (or even prefecture - since my cities tend to remind me of Japan).    Parcel I think of as a tile.  But yeah, there are some ambiguities as Jeffry pointed out.

Edit to fix dyslexic moment  ;)

RandyE, huzman and CorinaMarie like this

15 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

I try to avoid using the words "city" and "tile"

That's what I'm trying to avoid. But it's something other people are doing, hence my confusion. And now you add 'sector'. Whew !!!

14 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

In my own mind my region is a State and the city-tiles are Counties.

Oh right ! Tends to cloud the issue a little more. Why not 'Hamlet' for the S tile, 'Village' for the M one ? To me, the names for 'Region' and 'Cities' (S,M and L) are good enough. As long everyone observes it.

RandyE and RobertLM78 like this