• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
CorinaMarie

C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

77 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, APSMS said:

Other test would be trying to load the images directly, either by right-clicking "view image" or seeing if you can access normal photobucket.com period, away from ST.

That's your best workaround. Probably just the embedded re-direct that's a problem.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

(I don't even know what that is.)

I meant Pocketbucket.com.

8 hours ago, APSMS said:

Sounds like an ISP issue to me; etc...

Could you explain ISP to me ?

On the other hand, I can see the images of @Haljackey, in the "show-us-what-you-are-working-on" thread.

1 hour ago, huzman said:

Could you explain ISP to me ?

ISP = Internet Service Provider.

@APSMS is suggesting something there, such as their settings, might be what is blocking you from seeing the pics I've hosted on PB (PhotoBucket).

1 hour ago, huzman said:

On the other hand, I can see the images of @Haljackey, in the "show-us-what-you-are-working-on" thread.

He uses Imgur and not PB, so that tells us you can see pics hosted at that site. Did you see the topographical maps pics I posted a few posts back? If not, that's more indication that it's related to PB. Is there a chance that you flagged the PB site as an always block? Like in Ad Blocker Plus if you are using Firefox. Or some other version of site blocking?

2 people like this

Thanks for your quick answers. I solved the problem by reinstalling FF. "Big Problem, Drastic Solutions". I even caught some images that I missed. Yeah !!!

Really appreciate the dedication you give. So here is the continuation of my heights research : here I eliminated the 83 level. As you can see, the 84 level goes right into the water but harbors are hard to place. I used the leveler "gentle slopes to beaches"  but still no luck.

Nova Região.zip

Edited by huzman
1 person likes this

Glad the FF reinstall worked, but it would have been helpful to you if you could have put your finger on the blockage. Now you may be exposed to other problems.

For the curious, the blockage could have been an addon like AdBlock, but it could also have been a FF bandwidth control setting about loading images. The most tricky blockage I have diagnosed was when a security tool added a couple hundred entries to my hosts file, redirecting a bunch of "known scam sites" to a null IP address.

All those domains were then unreachable, and the cause of the blockage was like 3 layers deep down in the Windoze system folders. After having two years to forget about those host file entries, It turned out that one of the black-listed domains also hosted some legit traffic that I wanted to see.

3 people like this

13 hours ago, huzman said:

So here is the continuation of my heights research : here I eliminated the 83 level. As you can see, the 84 level goes right into the water but harbors are hard to place.

I downloaded your new region and I've loaded your 83-84-3.bmp grayscale. I then use the color picker eyedropper and here's what I see in both of my imaging programs:

Gray%20Color%20Pick_zps1j0iaejh.jpg

I'm confuzzled as to why none of the numbers seem right. I'm expecting to see 84 in there somewhere since I sampled the lightest gray in the center of your image. Yet, obviously, they render to the right height in game.

o.O

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

For the curious, the blockage could have been an addon like AdBlock,

That's what I suspected. But I think PhotoBucket  is partially involved. When I first came here, PB was snowing me with pub/spam.

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I'm confuzzled as to why...

In actual painting, there are several ways to obtain a specific color. Of course Digital Coloring is completely different, but perhaps the same principle holds.

I actually prefer the grayscale method over any of the tools out there.  Although, I make use of Ordio's SCRACC utility for doing the config files.  GIMP works really well - great choice and great tutorial @CorinaMarie   B)

2 people like this

2 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

Although, I make use of Ordio's SCRACC utility for doing the config files.

Looks quite interesting. I edited a linky to Ordio's program into my initial post to draw attention to it as a fourth alternative option. I haven't installed it myself, but am I correct to presume one could load their own grayscale in SCRACC and then make the config.bmp?

2 people like this

On 2/23/2017 at 10:42 PM, jeffryfisher said:

Now you may be exposed to other problems.

Right on, brother ! It's a real can of worms. But since I can see those Pocketbucket pix, I don't mind too much correcting those glitches.

CorinaMarie : what are you using to open the "simcity_1.dat" in text form ? And what do use for the topographical maps ?

39 minutes ago, huzman said:

what are you using to open the "simcity_1.dat" in text form ?

I use iLive's Reader. There are two main versions:

The 0.93 version is more stable. The 1.54 version is needed for the more complicated exemplars. Some variables simply will not show in the 0.93 version.

39 minutes ago, huzman said:

And what do use for the topographical maps ?

I take a screen shot of the All Off data view, load it into GIMP, zoom in a bunch, and then crop out the mini map. I do that for each city tile and then paste them into position in a larger, blank image. (So for my 4 x 4 large tile region I make the new file be 1024 x 1024 so all 16 images will fit.) It's a tedious and time consuming process, but I love the end result so it's worth it to me.

Topo%20Map%20Crop_zpstli9u6cz.jpg

And for reference, @huzman is referring to this pic back on page 2:

Spoiler

Topo%20Map_zpseb5alxeh.jpg

And I then use the line tool to create pseudo grid lines cause the seams between the stitched images are not perfect.

3 people like this

52 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I take a screen shot of the All Off data view,

I take it to be from inside the iLive's Reader. While writing this, I downloaded all the iLive's Reader files.

You know ? I spend more time downloading and installing things than actually working on them. It's getting a little boring.

2 minutes ago, huzman said:

I take it to be from inside the iLive's Reader.

To make my topo map I take all the initial screen shots in the game itself (with the data view open).

3 minutes ago, huzman said:

You know ? I spend more time downloading and installing things than actually working on them. It's getting a little boring.

It's good to gather all the tools you might want to use. Just toss them in your toolbox for later.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

...am I correct to presume one could load their own grayscale in SCRACC and then make the config.bmp?

You betcha!  :D

1 person likes this

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 3:52 AM, CorinaMarie said:

fourth alternative option

I think I just discovered a 5th alternative option.  I was getting back to making grayscales and also using SC4 Mapper tonight.  I never realized this before, but I can terra-form in-game, then load the region in SC4 Mapper and export both an .SC4M file and an RGB bitmap.   The bitmap can then be converted to a grayscale --indexed 256 8-bit bmp.   I'm going to have a lot of fun with this discovery.  I'll be editing my map files and including links back to this thread as it is now the active repository of map-making knowledge for SC4.

3 people like this

On 2/25/2017 at 4:49 AM, RobertLM78 said:

Ordio's SCRACC utility

Phooey. This seems to have suddenly gone missing. Says the Members Webspace has been retired. Thankfully I got a copy of it when I did and I archived the help page too.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Phooey. This seems to have suddenly gone missing. Says the Members Webspace has been retired. Thankfully I got a copy of it when I did and I archived the help page too.

Dang... that's not the first time that's happened recently.  About a month or two ago, the best mirror of SOMY's (http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/somy000/) stuff is no longer up either.  There is the other site, http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/somy000/, as of yet, I haven't figured out how he's separated the large zip files (apparently I can't 'cat' them back together - and he probably used something on Windoze).

Does anyone know Ordio?  It would be nice to have the utility uploaded somewhere else.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By RandyE
      Contains 9 2x2 lots to choose from.  Each lot has a different character, animation, and a variety of props from SC4 Deluxe.
      All lighthouses cost 4000§ (Simoleons), earn 100§ a month, slightly reduce air and water pollution nearby, and have a moderate local park and landmark effect.
      All lighthouses are in the Reward Menu and are available for immediate plopping. The Maxis Reward lighthouse is not replaced and becomes available as usual.
      No External Dependencies:
      The dependencies in version 1 have been removed. I am using a smaller texture pack that I made for my lots which is included, and have replaced the Bus Stop with an extended Toll Booth Platform.
      The 'BaseTexturesElements_Grass.dat' is an internal dependency required for the lots above; it is included in this package in the folder 'z_Grass Base Textures'.
      I have made a 500K Base Texture Volume with textures I made for my lots linked below.   If the texture file below is used then delete the ' z_Grass Base Textures' folder as the textures are the same and don't need to be loaded twice.
      Base Textures Vol 1 Elements
      INSTALL
      To install select the folders for the lighthouses you want to use and delete the other sub-folders.   Don't delete the 'z_Grass Base Textures' folder unless you are using none of the lighthouses which require them or are using the larger texture volume (see above). 
      Copy and paste the 'Lighthouse 2x2 Lot Pack V2' into your User\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder. 
    • By RandyE
      This lot has been tested in-game, it was found that at least 2 of them are required to almost completely reduce pollution across a large tile as well as to provide water across a grid of pipes covering the whole tile.  It was tested also with the Utility Radius and Traffic Pollution Modd.  Use the Data View and Cheetah Speed to monitor changes in water supply, air and water pollution.  The pump is programmed to consume a very small amount of water so plop the pump in a non-polluted area as tests indicate it will not immediately clean its own base area and may fail to operate. 
      Location: Water Menu under Utilities Menu, and Power Menu for 1x1 Generator
      Stats:
      Lot Size: 5 (width) by 6 (depth)
      Water Produced and Treated: 1,000,000 cubic meters per hour.
      Pollution Reduction: -1200 over 300 
      Plop Cost: 25,000§
      Maintenance Cost: 10§
      Jobs: 15§, 290§§, 15§§§
      Moderate Landmark and Park Effect. 
      Transit and Network Enabled
      Power Consumed:  200 MWh (megawatt hours)
      Dependency: Included base texture .dat file.
      Maxis Night-lighting
      FOLDER: Radical Water Pump and Pollution Reduction V1
      File: List of Alternate Water Systems.txt
      File: Preview and Install.html
      File: Readme.txt
      SUB-FOLDER: Radical Water Pump and Pollution Reduction
      This is the folder inside the unzipped title folder to be placed in your User\Documents\Simcity 4\ Plugins folder.  It contains 2 files: 1. the Radical_Water_Pump.SC4Lot, and 2. the BaseTexturesElements_RadicalWaterPump.dat file with base textures extracted from my Vol.1 Base Textures Elements package.  If you use the larger package then delete the smaller .dat file included as the textures don't need to be loaded twice.  The larger package is linked below:
      Base Textures Vol 1.1: Elements, for SC4 1.1.0
      SUB-FOLDER: 500 MWh Power Generator 1x1
      File: RadicalWaterPump_PowerGenerator.SC4Lot
      I've added a 1x1 lot to generate power for the water pump.  If you use the Data View Moisture Mod to locate a high volume of water it may be in a remote area, otherwise a non-polluted area may also be in a remote area.  The power generator is equal to 2½ times the wind power plant.
      Previews:
      The 2nd preview shows the progressive reduction of air pollution; the reduction of water pollution is about the same. The test city has 2 heavy industry areas and congested traffic generating severe pollution over the entire tile. A third radical water pump would completely eliminate both across the entire tile.
      The 3rd preview shows at bottom Cori's Data View of Moisture mod which uses the radiation data view to show changes in moisture from rainfall.  In more complicated terrain the moisture data view is useful to see where to place water pumps which depend on aquifers. The mod is linked below:
      Cori's DataView - Moisture v 2017.01.22 by @CorinaMarie
      The top 2 frames show the progressive increase of water-flow over the entire tile.   Water pipes are tedious to place in large tiles requiring about a 30x30 grid.  To make the task of watering the tile easier use the Utility Radius and Traffic Pollution Reduction Modd by RalphaelNinja linked below:
      UtilityRadius TrafPollution Modd by @RalphaelNinja
      The last preview is of this .SC4Lot in production in the Lot Editor for anyone who has enjoyed using SC4 as a design tool, creating .SC4 city tiles, and who may be considering taking the next step of creating .SC4Lot files.  Using Lot Editor is not much more complicated.  Below is the tutorial that got me started almost a year ago.
      Lot Editor: Beginner's Tutorial by @jbbry232
      The science-fiction descriptions for alternate tech. lots with radical improvements helps to fit the lot conceptually into the game while justifying what others might simply call a 'cheat'.  This one is a bit of a whopper, but entirely plausible. 
      Water is compacted into super-dense ice crystal cubes and delivered to the Aquifer generators by vertical descent from orbit.  Anti-grav. tech. is used to manage the very heavy cubes (not shown).  The cubes are then decompressed and the water is pumped into the aquifers, providing fresh-water to civilization and to ecosystems suffering drought.  The added benefit is improvement of atmospheric, tectonic, and tidal ⇌ (equilibrium), and saltwater pH balance for life-support of the Earth.   This tech. may also be used to re-pack glaciers effective to surface albedo and global climate improvement .
    • By huzman
      A curious situation happened to me with a given city. It was (is) a losing situation : high unemployment, dwindling funds, no growth, etc... So I though to nuke the city. If I choose the option from the main Region map to delete the city, everything gets erased including the topographical map. I didn't want that, of course. So I decide(d) to erase everything with the B/V options. Once that done, I reset my Moolah back to 500 000§. That's when I asked myself "Am I cheating or not". On this case, I didn't think so.
      But then, changing the city/region/mayor's name, is it cheating ? I don't think so.
      Using Ctlr+x to have all the techniques, then yes that's cheating. So there is a subtle from cheating or not. What do you think ?
      (BTW, I think that outright cheating is a way of showing a very low opinion of yourself)
    • By DJDL
      Hello all!
      I have downloaded Peg's Brigantine Water Mod, but when I go to extract the files, my Norton AV declares its unsafe and deletes it.  I have downloaded other Peg Mods with no issues (Streams, Ponds, Utopia, SPAM, etc.).
      Has anyone else had this happen and do you know a workaround?  Simtropolis has an excellent reputation of keeping viruses and other bad things out of the community, so I find it hard to believe it could be a virus.  If anyone would like to investigate this, here is the file Norton Insight removed and quarantined as a medium risk:  
      http:simtropolis.community.com/file/file/11836-peg-water-mod-brigantine/?do=download   
      and the .exe file:
      peg_watermod_brigantine_205.exe
      Thank you so much for your help!
    • By RandyE
      An application for post-nuclear technological civilization.
      8 (width) x 4 (depth) Lot Size. Power and Water produced: 8,000,000 MWh/ Gal. per hr.  Water Treatment and Recycling: 1,000,000/ 60%,   Maintenance Cost: 0, Monthly Income: 50000. Landmark and Park Effect: 10 over 20,  Pollution Reduction -10 over 50.  Transit and Network enabled.  Maxis Night Lighting. Location: Power Menu, Business Deals, Trash Presort Ordinance
      The textures file below is no longer a dependency. I've extracted the 4 metal textures and included them in the folder containing the lot.  If the texture file below is used then delete the 'BaseTexturesElements_Metal.dat' (40K) file in the 'Cosmic Neutrino Power Plant' folder as the textures don't need to be loaded twice.  (The metals textures .dat file may be freely used and included in works other than for the purpose of this lot.)
      Dependencies:  Base Textures Vol 1 Elements for metal base textures.
      NO DEPENDENCIES
      FOLDER: Cosmic Neutrino Power Plant
      There are now 2 sub-folders containing 2 versions of the power plant, one has the 50K business deal, and the other has a 50K cost for plopping the lot but no business deal.  Use either the 50K PlopCost folder or 50K BusDeal, not both.  Select one and delete the other. The lots are copies of each other so the game will not separate them into independent lots. Neither have maintenance costs.

Description:

What this power plant (hypothetically) does is filter neutrinos from the origin of the universe that are the background static before all construct of atomic matter.  The series of high power super-cooled magnetic plates slow down the neutrinos until they exert inertial force which is converted to thermal energy driving electric generator turbines.
      For the electric power needs of the entire world, only one of these plants is required as its capability of generation of power vastly exceeds what the demand would ever be for civilization on Earth. 
      This power plant requires no use of any other fuel and produces no waste or radioactivity.  There are no costs involved in either construction or maintenance as the power plant, once operating, eliminates the need for any form of abstract valuation of property, labor or resources.   There are no security risks in the operation of this power plant as there is no excess of source, transmission or storage of energy.     
      Dedicated in memory of March, 11, 2011.
      Install:
      To install first open the Cosmic Neutrino Power Plant folder and choose one of the versions, delete the other sub-folder.   Copy and paste the Cosmic Neutrino Power Plant folder into your User\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder.