• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
CorinaMarie

C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

108 posts in this topic

Amazing method Cori! It looks like i could use this method to create come really good mountains for future map. It looks like it's 100% guaranteed to work, and that's something a lot of people could get behind. Is this the method you use to create maps? (I just can't build w/o flat terrain tho.)

1 hour ago, TheLynx99 said:

Amazing method Cori!

Thank you! Thank you! It does my heart good to hear that. :)

1 hour ago, TheLynx99 said:

Is this the method you use to create maps?

Yep. So far it's the only method I've used, however, my earlier ones were not nearly as refined. I just recently came up with the idea of the Blur to smooth out the choppiness.

Great work with this tutorial. Just had a read through and it looks like a very cool method for map creation. I'm sure it could lead to all sorts of possibilities -- using different images and techniques, etc. It does have an element of randomness, which would make each map unique. Maybe this could also form a possible challenge idea for next year... :golly:

Good work, this tutorial is easy to read, follow and understand.  I think the method you've described actually allows a lot more creativity than the map making programs, it puts the user in the front seat, from selecting a picture or photographing one, to then manipulating the image to make it useful, and finally adding their own creative touch by adding rivers/streams.    So in the final result, the region one plays really is their own.   The element of randomness is as natural as what I think is normal in any creative process.   

CorinaMarie likes this

It's about time I popped in to say "Whoa, cool!" here. As others have said, what an unexpectedly simple way to make such wonderfully random maps. Along with some great step by step instructions, thanks so much for sharing this with us.

This is a really neat and resourceful idea. I'm not very creative/artistic so I could never come up with a landscape that was convincingly realistic on my own. Grayscaling clouds actually makes for a pretty natural-seeming geography. Thanks for sharing!

CorinaMarie likes this

Thank you all for your kind words and for the Likes on my first post ! :blush:

I just now edited in a Further Refinement section near the end of post 1 which addresses changing the overall elevations of the map with a few simple mouse clicks.

Also, feel free to post samples of what you make using this technique. I'd love to see what everyone else creates. ;)

huzman likes this

On 8/28/2016 at 5:26 PM, Benvoliorus said:

Simple and brilliant like any genius thing!

IKR! :D Er... Wait. I mean, D'aww, thank you. :blush:

So, this morning these clouds were begging to be shot as the Sun was waking up:

P9010008_zpswlj9afpj.jpg

I did the following in GIMP:

1. Cropped to get rid of that telephone pole and wires.
  2. Converted it to grayscale.
  3. Scaled it to 769 x 769 pixels.
  4. Adjusted Contrast to +15.
  5. Added Gaussian Blur of 10.0.
  6. Rendered in game.

And here's what it looks like:

Black%20Clouds%20RVx_zpsaxsez9ly.jpg

Then I painted Maxis Trees all over it:

Black%20Clouds%20RVT_zpsbckc2eqr.jpg

I'd love to see what other peeps create using this method. Post them in this thread. ;)

(I've attached the Config.bmp and my final grayscale in case anyone would want them.)

config.bmp

Gray 3.bmp

huzman, raynev1, Manuel-ito and 5 others like this

Nice tutorial , It is somewhat like what I did a long time ago (not the tutorial , but a map . For personal use ) That was three PC's ago or I would have posted an image . I used MS Paint and Landscape Designer . Your tutorial is straightforward and easy to understand , even a dork like me could follow the directions and have a new map to play SC4 . Nice job and the maps turned out pretty good too . You have inspired me to pull out the old camera and give it a try . :thumb:

CorinaMarie likes this

On 10/17/2016 at 8:16 PM, Yum said:

I made a map!

Very nice! And when I saw your water was not default Maxis I wondered if you entered every tile to update it or if that happened automatically. So, having finished my Terrain Shoppe, I decided to do another map.

I discovered another cool thing to do when editing the grayscale image. Use the Burn Tool to improve the river banks. (See my edit near the bottom of post 1 for details.) Here's what I created:

P9280003-3-08%20RV_zpsx3o9c17g.jpg

P9280003-3T%20RV_zpssjfzencv.jpg

:)

Edit: Per @BugeyedDragon's request, I've attached the grayscale and my config.bmp to this post. Note that I'm not using any height mod so the default scale of 3.0 is how mine was rendered.

P9280003b Gray08.bmp

config.bmp

huzman, mrsmartman, RandyE and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Very nice! And when I saw your water was not default Maxis I wondered if you entered every tile to update it or if that happened automatically.

Thanks!  Yeah, you know, sometimes the rendered tiles sow up automatically on the region map, sometimes I have to go into the tile and exit before it shows up as not a plain tile in region view, and I've even seen a few times that some tiles are rendered while others are plain.  However, when the tiles do show up automatically as rendered in the region, they do show up with the correct water mod already active, so I don't have to go into city view.  I know you know which mod I use, but for everyone I haven't told yet, that's Pegasus' Hawaiian Holiday water mod and HD White Sands beach, found in the Water Shoppe and Beach Shoppe respectively.

CorinaMarie and MeMyself&I like this

Hi Cori

As I was writing up that tutorial/custom content article I looked up your map making thread here.  Good Grief how did you make the leap from clouds to map making. :???:

because the connection is so obvious (not!)  As someone else said "genius" idea .  This is such a unique way of making maps I thought I would try my hand at it. However I am quite clueless about that config.bmp file....

Currently just started a downloaded map with 8 medium tiles that has flat terrain along with mountains and rivers.  I tried others but they were either too "lumpy" or very large city tiles, and since I play rural/small towns/farms not appropriate for me.  Your cloud map making has possibilities I would be interested in pursuing.

So, attached is a picture of  the green sandbox region, medium tile size, I use.   I've been terraforming the tiles as I need to for my towns/farms and the medium tiles are the right fit for me.     Can I copy over the config.bmp file to the new region I create with your method?  And can I change the size from 16 tiles to perhaps 8 medium tiles...Sorry I'm in the dark about how to actually create the config.bmp.  

I need the "dummies" instruction version.:rofl:

Hope you or someone else can direct me to the appropriate thread/instruction so I can read up on the "How To Do This" otherwise your instructions are very clear and easy to follow.   I'm just not computer savy enough to "get it".

Green_Sandbox_Medium.jpg

huzman likes this

46 minutes ago, BC Canuck said:

Good Grief how did you make the leap from clouds to map making. :???:

It started in this thread. Where I made this map:

13%20CL2_zps02jwaf9b.jpg

And at the time I was really happy with it. Then @T Wrecks gave me some good advice in this post (same thread). So I subdued the choppiness a bit and made this map using clouds:

Clouds%2011%20RV_zpshnskpjnl.jpg

Then a couple months (and several maps later) I had an inspiration to add Gaussian Blur and I re-did that first map and made this one:

CL2.2%20RV_zpstwmuot0c.jpg

Then a couple weeks later I wrote this tutorial. Next I started using a Slope Mod trying to make more realistic looking cities and I found even the map above was tedious to work on. So then I had another inspiration and came up with using the Burn Tool along the sides of the river banks and applying a lot more Blur. That's when I made this map (also pictured a couple posts up):

P9280003-3T%20RV_zpssjfzencv.jpg

I play rural/small towns/farms

Me too! Here's one of the tiles in the above map:

Mosquitoville%20Yr%20201_zps3078hfqt.jpg

It's still a work in progress as my imaginary story line is the farms were laid out somewhat haphazardly except for the roads that will connect the tiles. No thought is given to where bridges will go as that's centuries in my Sim's future. Once I've filled my region with these farms and illiterate Sims, I'll then begin small centers with some industrialization. Public outcry over the pollution to their once pristine air will result in an elementary school and a move toward manufacturing. Right now I'm playing just for the fun of creation. I've already proven to myself I can handle the vanilla income vs cost and build bigger stuff, so now I'm playing more as if scripting my imaginary movie and so I've written my own cheat which gives me five times more income from the farms. This lets me have complete vanilla fire station coverage.

Anyhow, sorry. I got sidetracked there cause I'm having so much fun in my game.

Can I copy over the config.bmp file to the new region I create with your method?  And can I change the size from 16 tiles to perhaps 8 medium tiles

Yep, you can copy any valid config.bmp into your new region. Just do the math to make sure the grayscale cloud image is the right size for the config.bmp you use. And yes, you can make the config.bmp whatever size you like. So, for 8 medium tiles you could use a 4x8 pixel config.bmp all painted green. Or a 6x6 painted green except 4 pixels in a square being not red, green, or blue to get just 8 tiles or paint it all green and you'd have 9 medium tiles arranged as 3 x 3. I believe it's explained pretty well in Config.bmp: How to Make It Yours.

If it's still unclear after reading that, just let us know and we'll see if we can explain it another way.

huzman, rsc204 and mrsmartman like this

This is the wierdest thing I have ever seen doing in this game... and yet it's genius!!!! :D

Clouds for maps! Who would have thought that!!!! Absloutely brilliant! :D

CorinaMarie likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By DJDL
      Hello Simtropolis Community!
      I am looking to buy a new Windows laptop and I would appreciate your input.  Along with the usual Office functions, my goal will be gaming (SC4, possibly Civ 3 and eventually Cities Skylines) and graphics/dtp (Adobe).
      These are the machines (all Dell) that I am considering. and I'm hoping to purchase a new machine this weekend, since there's a sale going on.
      Inspiron 5000 Gaming with Win10 Pro
      7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz) 8GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 128GB Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive (Storage) 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display 74WHr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated) "optimal cooling" Ports 1 HDMITM 1.4a
      3 USB 3.0 including 1 with PowerShare
      1 2-in-1 SD (UHS50) / MMC
      1 RJ-45
      1 Kensington Lock
      1 Headphone/Mic Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming with Win 10 Pro
      7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz) or 17-7700HQ Quad, 6MB up to 3.8GHz)  8GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB or 16GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB 256GB Solid State Drive or 128GB Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive (Storage) 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 74 Whr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated) Ports and Slots: Combo Jack (Headset/Mic, USB 3.0 port, USB 3.0 Powershare port, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, Noble Lock Security Slot, Power, 8.USB 3.0 port, Media Card Reader front-firing speakers, a subwoofer and Waves MaxxAudio® Pro. maximum cooling feature Inspiron 17 7000 2in1 with Win 10 Pro--I'm considering two machines which share the following specs
      7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz) 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 940MX 2GB GDDR5 17.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Truelife LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angles 56 WHr, 4-Cell Battery (integrated) The differences are the HD and port/slots: 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive; Ports:   SD, SDHC, SDXC Card Reader (specified), USB 2.0, Noble Lock Slot,  DC Power In, USB Type C, HDMITM 1.4a (specified), USB 3.0 with PowerShare, Audio Jack  1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive (for about $40 more); Ports:  SD Card Reader, USB 2.0, Noble Lock Slot, DC Power In, USB Type C, HDMI, USB 3.0 with PowerShare,. Audio Jack XPS 15 with Win 10 Pro (priciest)
      7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz) 16GB DDR4-2400MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately) 512GB PCle Solid State Drive NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge, Non-touch Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 Battery: 97WHr Ports: SD card slot, USB 3.0 with PowerShare, Battery gauge button and indicator, Kensington lock slot, AC power, HDMI, Thunderbolt™ 3 (2 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supporting: Power in/charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately) | 8. Headset jack  (I'm not planning on buying the Dell Adapter) I like aspects of each machine, bigger screen for one, SSD, cooling feature, (SC4 and flash games are dangerously hot on my present machine), and graphics card.  I just wish they all came on one machine.  I would consider upgrading my existing machine but the motherboard on my TOSH Satellite is pretty archaic by today's standards so much so that a previous Win 10 update knocked out the functionality of my native keyboard.  I got a new one and it has the same issue, so I'm using a wireless one after breaking a USB keyboard.
      Thank you all for your help!
      Diana
    • By Silur
      I'm curious to know Your opinion about the website Simtropolis. Today I started editing one site in my country. And I realized that this is far from the quality that I see on Simtropolis. How do You compare the quality of most of the other sites? Are there any sites built even more conveniently?  Are there any ideals in this world? Thank you.
    • By boformer
      In this tutorial, we will replicate the functionality of the "Make Historical" checkbox in SimCity 4 (stop building from leveling up). The mod will utilize the same interfaces as the Control Building Level Up mod. You will learn how to inspect and modify user interfaces with ModTools, how the info panels of the game work, how to add a checkbox to the UI, how to control building level up with the official API, how to get notified when a building is added/removed and how to serialize custom data in the savegame. Once again, we will use the loading and threading hooks provided by the API.

Step 1: Project Setup
      Create a new project named "MakeHistorical" in VS2017, following Method 2 in Tutorial 0 (working with a text editor is still possible in this tutorial, but not recommended)
      Your IUserMod implementation should look like this:
      using ICities; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalMod : IUserMod { public string Name => "Make Historical"; public string Description => "Prevents the level up of buildings"; } }  
      Step 2: Data Storage with Serialization Hook
      Data Structure
      We will store the ids (ushort) of the historical building instances in the savegame. Like in Tutorial 2 Step 4, we will create a data class that holds our data:
      using System.Collections.Generic; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalData { public List<ushort> HistoricalBuildingIds { get; set; } = new List<ushort>(); } } The game requires additional savegame data to be in byte[] (byte array) format (basically zeros and ones, very low level). Luckily, Colossal Order provides a few useful tools to convert data classes to byte arrays (package ColossalFramework.IO). To use these tools, our data class must implement the IDataContainer interface.
      Extend the class like this:
      using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Linq; using ColossalFramework.IO; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalData : IDataContainer { // The key for our data in the savegame public const string DataId = "MakeHistorical"; // Version of data save format // This is important when you add new fields to MakeHistoricalData public const int DataVersion = 0; public List<ushort> HistoricalBuildingIds { get; set; } = new List<ushort>(); // This serializes the object (to bytes) public void Serialize(DataSerializer s) { // convert ushort list to int array int[] ids = HistoricalBuildingIds.Select(id => (int)id).ToArray(); s.WriteInt32Array(ids); } // This reads the object (from bytes) public void Deserialize(DataSerializer s) { int[] ids = s.ReadInt32Array(); // convert int array to ushort list HistoricalBuildingIds = ids.Select(id => (ushort)id).ToList(); } // Validates that all building ids are active public void AfterDeserialize(DataSerializer s) { if (!BuildingManager.exists) return; List<ushort> validatedBuildingIds = new List<ushort>(); Building[] buildingInstances = BuildingManager.instance.m_buildings.m_buffer; // itertate through all building ids, filter active ids foreach (ushort buildingId in HistoricalBuildingIds) { if (buildingInstances[buildingId].m_flags != Building.Flags.None) { validatedBuildingIds.Add(buildingId); } } HistoricalBuildingIds = validatedBuildingIds; } } } What happened?
      We added the constants DataId and DataVersion. We will use these in the next step We implemented the Serialize method: In this method, we convert our list of ushort numbers to an integer array (the serializer does not support ushort) and pass it to a DataSerializer, which converts our array to bytes. We implemented the Deserialize method, which does the opposite of Serialize We implemented AfterDeserialize, which validates that all deserialized building ids belong to buildings (important when the mod was disabled for some time, to keep the data clean) Serialization System
      Colossal Order provides a serialization hook for mods (ISerializableDataExtension/SerializableDataExtensionBase). This hook is invoked when the savegame data is loaded, and when the user presses the save button. The game also provides a storage interface (ISerializableData) that allows us to write byte arrays to savegame and read byte arrays from savegame.
      Combined with the data class and the byte array conversion tools provided by Colossal Order, we will use this hook to save our data. Add a new MakeHistoricalDataManager class:
      using ColossalFramework.IO; using ICities; using System.IO; using UnityEngine; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalDataManager : SerializableDataExtensionBase { // The data object of our mod private MakeHistoricalData _data; public override void OnLoadData() { // Get bytes from savegame byte[] bytes = serializableDataManager.LoadData(MakeHistoricalData.DataId); if (bytes != null) { // Convert the bytes to MakeHistoricalData object using (var stream = new MemoryStream(bytes)) { _data = DataSerializer.Deserialize<MakeHistoricalData>(stream, DataSerializer.Mode.Memory); } Debug.LogFormat("Data loaded (Size in bytes: {0})", bytes.Length); } else { _data = new MakeHistoricalData(); Debug.Log("Data created"); } } public override void OnSaveData() { byte[] bytes; // Convert the MakeHistoricalData object to bytes using (var stream = new MemoryStream()) { DataSerializer.Serialize(stream, DataSerializer.Mode.Memory, MakeHistoricalData.DataVersion, _data); bytes = stream.ToArray(); } // Save bytes in savegame serializableDataManager.SaveData(MakeHistoricalData.DataId, bytes); Debug.LogFormat("Data saved (Size in bytes: {0})", bytes.Length); } } } What happens here?
      The _data property stores our mod data The OnLoadData method attempts to read the saved byte array from the savegame. If the array was found, it converts the bytes to a MakeHistoricalData object (our data structure). If no array was found, it creates a new MakeHistoricalData object (new city or mod enabled for the first time). The OnSaveData method converts the MakeHistoricalData object to bytes, then saves the bytes in the savegame. Tip: To understand how data versioning works, look at this example data manager.
      Singleton
      To make the data readable from other classes, we will make MakeHistoricalDataManager implement a simple singleton pattern. We willl also add a few methods to lookup, add and remove building ids:
      // Singleton getter public static MakeHistoricalDataManager Instance { get; private set; } public bool IsHistorical(ushort buildingId) { return _data.HistoricalBuildingIds.Contains(buildingId); } public void AddBuildingId(ushort buildingId) { if (_data.HistoricalBuildingIds.Contains(buildingId)) return; _data.HistoricalBuildingIds.Add(buildingId); Debug.Log($"Historical Building {buildingId} added"); } public void RemoveBuildingId(ushort buildingId) { if (!_data.HistoricalBuildingIds.Contains(buildingId)) return; _data.HistoricalBuildingIds.Remove(buildingId); Debug.Log($"Historical Building {buildingId} removed"); } public override void OnCreated(ISerializableData serializedData) { base.OnCreated(serializedData); Instance = this; // initialize singleton } public override void OnReleased() { Instance = null; // reset singleton } Now we can use a simple statement to check if a building is historical:
      bool h = MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(1234); Final code of the MakeHistoricalDataManager class.

Step 3: Removing destroyed buildings from the list
      We have to remove buildings from the list when they are buldozed. Luckily CO added a hook just for that (not documented in the wiki):
      using ICities; using UnityEngine; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalBuildingMonitor : BuildingExtensionBase { public override void OnBuildingReleased(ushort id) { if (MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(id)) { // Remove demolished/destroyed buildings from the list of historical buildings MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.RemoveBuildingId(id); } } } } Tip: With the IBuildingExtension/BuildingExtensionBase hook, you can also manipulate which buildings are spawned, and there are hooks for building creation and relocation.

Step 4: Inspecting And Manipulating User Interfaces with ModTools and ILSpy
      Like in SimCity 4, we will add a "Make Historical" checkbox to the building info window:

To do that, we have to find out how to access the info window programmatically.
      ModTools supports us with its "debug view". You can toggle it with CTRL + R. Then move your mouse over the info panel (so that the tint of the panel changes to green) and press CTRL + F:

The UI window component is now displayed in the ModTools scene explorer. The class name of the element is ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel.
      In the scene explorer, we can change properties like the colour, size and position of the window. We can also look at the child UI elements (buttons, text labels). The position of the child elements is determined by the relativeLayout property.
      Noted values:
      Height: 321 Left Padding: 14 (based on the child element positions) Bottom Padding: 27 (based on the child element positions) Now that we know the class name, we can locate the class in ILSpy to find out how to access it programmatically:

ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel is a subclass of WorldInfoPanel, which contains a static Show<>() method:
      // WorldInfoPanel (taken from ILSpy) public static void Show<TPanel>(Vector3 worldMousePosition, InstanceID instanceID) where TPanel : WorldInfoPanel { TPanel tPanel = UIView.library.Show<TPanel>(typeof(TPanel).Name, false); tPanel.SetTarget(worldMousePosition, instanceID); tPanel.component.opacity = 1f; } After further investigation (use ILSpy's "Analyze" feature), you will find a Get<>() method in UIView.library which returns the ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel instance:
      var panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); Note: There is only one panel instance, which is just filled with the data of the currently selected building. The panel even exists when no building is selected, it's just hidden.

Step 5: Adding a Checkbox to the Info Panel
      Finding the right property values for user interfaces is a finicky task, especially when you have to restart the game after every little change. Using the ModTools console, we can add and modify our checkbox while the game is running. Run this script in the ModTools console (F7):
      var panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); var checkBox = panel.component.AddUIComponent<UICheckBox>(); checkBox.width = panel.component.width; checkBox.height = 20f; checkBox.clipChildren = true; UISprite sprite = checkBox.AddUIComponent<UISprite>(); sprite.spriteName = "ToggleBase"; sprite.size = new Vector2(16f, 16f); sprite.relativePosition = Vector3.zero; checkBox.checkedBoxObject = sprite.AddUIComponent<UISprite>(); ((UISprite)checkBox.checkedBoxObject).spriteName = "ToggleBaseFocused"; checkBox.checkedBoxObject.size = new Vector2(16f, 16f); checkBox.checkedBoxObject.relativePosition = Vector3.zero; checkBox.label = checkBox.AddUIComponent<UILabel>(); checkBox.label.text = " "; checkBox.label.textScale = 0.9f; checkBox.label.relativePosition = new Vector3(22f, 2f); checkBox.name = "MakeHistorical"; checkBox.text = "Make Historical"; This will add everything that is required for a checkbox, giving it the name "MakeHistorical". It is still in the wrong position:

Tip: SamsamTS created a very useful utility class that allows you to create various UI elements. The code above was copied from that class.

With ModTools, we can experiment with the position without restarting the game. Execute this code in the ModTools console:
      var panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); var checkBox = panel.component.Find<UICheckBox>("MakeHistorical"); checkBox.relativePosition = new Vector3(14f, 164f + 130f + 5f); Result:

Now we just have to increase the height of the window a little bit. Execute this code in the ModTools console:
      var panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); panel.component.height = 321f + 5f + 20f; Result:

Now, we will put the code we just executed with the console into the loading hook of our mod:
      using ColossalFramework.UI; using ICities; using UnityEngine; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalLoading : LoadingExtensionBase { private UICheckBox _makeHistoricalCheckBox; public override void OnLevelLoaded(LoadMode mode) { if (_makeHistoricalCheckBox != null) return; ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); UICheckBox checkBox = panel.component.AddUIComponent<UICheckBox>(); checkBox.width = panel.component.width; checkBox.height = 20f; checkBox.clipChildren = true; UISprite sprite = checkBox.AddUIComponent<UISprite>(); sprite.spriteName = "ToggleBase"; sprite.size = new Vector2(16f, 16f); sprite.relativePosition = Vector3.zero; checkBox.checkedBoxObject = sprite.AddUIComponent<UISprite>(); ((UISprite)checkBox.checkedBoxObject).spriteName = "ToggleBaseFocused"; checkBox.checkedBoxObject.size = new Vector2(16f, 16f); checkBox.checkedBoxObject.relativePosition = Vector3.zero; checkBox.label = checkBox.AddUIComponent<UILabel>(); checkBox.label.text = " "; checkBox.label.textScale = 0.9f; checkBox.label.relativePosition = new Vector3(22f, 2f); checkBox.name = "MakeHistorical"; checkBox.text = "Make Historical"; checkBox.relativePosition = new Vector3(14f, 164f + 130f + 5f); panel.component.height = 321f + 5f + 16f; _makeHistoricalCheckBox = checkBox; } } }
      Compile the mod (F6). If there are any compilation errors, use the error list in VS2017 to locate and fix the error (View > Error List)
      When the compilation was successful, run the game. Enable the mod in content manager (if your mod does not show up, you probably forgot to setup the post build script).
      Now create or load a city, open the building info window for a growable building. Et voila:

Step 6: Processing Checkbox Events
      To process checkbox events, we will add a delegate to the CheckedChange event:
      public override void OnLevelLoaded(LoadMode mode) { ... checkBox.eventCheckChanged += (component, check) => { ushort buildingId = WorldInfoPanel.GetCurrentInstanceID().Building; if (check) { MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.AddBuildingId(buildingId); } else { MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.RemoveBuildingId(buildingId); } }; } Clicking the checkbox now triggers the data manager:

Step 7: Monitoring the ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel with a Threading Hook
      There is another problem: The checkbox is not updated when you select a building. We will use a threading hook to update the checkbox:
      using ColossalFramework.UI; using ICities; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalPanelMonitor : ThreadingExtensionBase { private ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel _panel; private UICheckBox _makeHistoricalCheckBox; private ushort _lastBuildingId = 0; // called every frame public override void OnUpdate(float realTimeDelta, float simulationTimeDelta) { if (!FindComponents()) return; if (_panel.component.isVisible) { ushort buildingId = WorldInfoPanel.GetCurrentInstanceID().Building; if (_lastBuildingId != buildingId) { // display the right checkbox state _makeHistoricalCheckBox.isChecked = MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(buildingId); _lastBuildingId = buildingId; } } else { _lastBuildingId = 0; } } private bool FindComponents() { if (_panel != null && _makeHistoricalCheckBox != null) return true; _panel = UIView.library.Get<ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel>(typeof(ZonedBuildingWorldInfoPanel).Name); if (_panel == null) return false; _makeHistoricalCheckBox = _panel.component.Find<UICheckBox>("MakeHistorical"); return _makeHistoricalCheckBox != null; } } }  
      Step 8: Controlling Building Level Up
      It took quite some time to get to this point (UI and serialization are always very time consuming). The last missing piece is the ILevelUpExtension/LevelUpExtensionBase hook, which monitors and manipulates the level up behaviour of buildings. Probably the least complicated part of the mod:
      using ICities; namespace MakeHistorical { public class MakeHistoricalLevelUpMonitor : LevelUpExtensionBase { public override ResidentialLevelUp OnCalculateResidentialLevelUp(ResidentialLevelUp levelUp, int averageEducation, int landValue, ushort buildingID, Service service, SubService subService, Level currentLevel) { if (MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(buildingID)) { levelUp.targetLevel = currentLevel; } return levelUp; } public override CommercialLevelUp OnCalculateCommercialLevelUp(CommercialLevelUp levelUp, int averageWealth, int landValue, ushort buildingID, Service service, SubService subService, Level currentLevel) { if (MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(buildingID)) { levelUp.targetLevel = currentLevel; } return levelUp; } public override IndustrialLevelUp OnCalculateIndustrialLevelUp(IndustrialLevelUp levelUp, int averageEducation, int serviceScore, ushort buildingID, Service service, SubService subService, Level currentLevel) { if (MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(buildingID)) { levelUp.targetLevel = currentLevel; } return levelUp; } public override OfficeLevelUp OnCalculateOfficeLevelUp(OfficeLevelUp levelUp, int averageEducation, int serviceScore, ushort buildingID, Service service, SubService subService, Level currentLevel) { if (MakeHistoricalDataManager.Instance.IsHistorical(buildingID)) { levelUp.targetLevel = currentLevel; } return levelUp; } } } The logic is very simple: When the building is historical, the target level is set to the current building level.
      And we are done! Buildings with the "Make Historical" checkbox enabled will no longer level up. The list of historical buildings is stored in the savegame.

Happy Coding!
      Download Source
    • By boformer
      Right now I only have little time, and I'm not able to write new mods. But I want to share my knowlege about Cities: Skylines mod development with you!
      Mod Development Tutorials

• By boformer
      In this tutorial, we will replicate the functionality of the Show Limits mod. Like in Tutorial 1, we will use the default alert window to display the limits. You will learn how to use ILSpy for reverse engineering, how to access singleton manager objects, how to work with building/tree instances and how to listen to keyboard shortcuts.

Step 1: Exploring the game source code in ILSpy
      Download the latest version of ILSpy (select "Download Binaries"). ILSpy is an open source decompiler that allows you to take a look at the source code of the game and other mods. It's basically the opposite of a compiler:
      [compiled .dll file] → [DECOMPILER] → [.cs files containing raw C# code] The restored source code is not exactly the same as the original code. Names of variables defined in methods are lost, which makes the code harder to read. Some parts of the loading code are not readable (enumerators), but that won't bother us.
      Open the Assembly-CSharp.dll file in ILSpy (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\Managed). On the left, expand the source tree:

The tree contains all classes and structs of the game. Select one of them to view the source code. There are different types of classes, here are the most common ones:
      ...Info: Prefabs or other assets (see Tutorial 1 and 2) Building, Citizen, District, NetLane, NetNode, NetSegment, PropInstance, TransportLine, TreeInstance, Vehicle, ZoneBlock (structs): Instances of objects, managed by a simulation system. There is a limit how many instances of a certain type can exist. ...AI: AI behaviour attached to prefabs, calculating the behavior of object instances. ...Manager: A simulation system,  responsible for rendering, simulation and creation/deletion of instances ...Tool: Tool for interacting with the city ...Collection: A collection of prefabs or assets ...Properties: Properties for simulation systems, like colors, shaders and constants ...Panel: UI elements ...Wrapper: Implementation of the official modding API  
      The various manager classes are the key components of the game. Managers extend the Singleton<> class. The singleton pattern is a software design pattern that ensures that only one instance of a class exists. You can easily access a singleton in Cities: Skylines with the static instance field:
      string cityName = SimulationManager.instance.m_metaData.m_CityName; Debug.Log("Name of the city: " + cityName); Alternatively:
      Singleton<SimulationManager>.instance Tip: You can run these code snippets with the ModTools console (F7)

Today we will take a look at the TreeManager and BuildingManager to display the number of trees and buildings.
      Tree Manager
      Select the TreeManager in ILSpy. After scrolling down a few lines in the source code, you will find the constant MAX_TREE_COUNT and the integer field m_treeCount:

Outputting these numbers will lead to the desired result. We will go a step further and check how the m_treeCount field is calculated. Right click the m_treeCount item in the left sidebar and select "Analyze":

The panel at the bottom displays which methods are reading the field, and which methods are assigning values to the field. For example, the AssetEditorChirpPanel and EditorChirpPanel are reading the field to display the number of trees in the asset/map editor.
      The field is modified by 3 methods of the TreeManager:
      CreateTree: When a new tree instance is placed, increment the value by 1. ReleaseTreeImplementation: When a tree instance is deleted, decrement the value by 1 Data.AfterDeserialize: After a save game is loaded, recalculate the tree count The last method is particularly interesting. Double click it to view the source code of the method:

The method calls TreeManager.instance.m_trees.ItemCount() to calculate the number of trees.
      m_trees is a special kind of array list (Array16<TreeInstance>) that is used by the game to manage instances of trees, props, buildings etc. The list contains a fixed number of TreeInstance structs (262144 in case of trees). When a new tree is created, one of the unused items from the listt is activated and used to describe the state, position and type of a tree. A few lines above you can see how the game iterates through the list to modify the active items.
      Tip: You can also use the "Analyze" feature on methods and classes. It will help you to understand how the different components of the game are connected.
      Building Manager
      Now, select the BuildingManager on the left. You will notice that the BuildingManager contains the same kind of fields:
      const int MAX_BUILDING_COUNT: The max number of building instances int m_buildingCount: The current number of building instances Array16<Building> m_buildings: The array list containing the building instances  
      Step 2: Outputting the limits with ModTools
      Before writing our mod, we will create a ModTools script to see if everything works:
      int treeCount = TreeManager.instance.m_treeCount; int maxTreeCount = TreeManager.MAX_TREE_COUNT; Debug.Log("Number of trees: " + treeCount + " of " + maxTreeCount); int buildingCount = BuildingManager.instance.m_buildingCount; int maxBuildingCount = BuildingManager.MAX_BUILDING_COUNT; Debug.Log("Number of buildings: " + buildingCount + " of " + maxBuildingCount); Load or create a city and open the ModTools console (F7). In the bottom of the console, paste the script and press the "Run" button:

Step 3: Project Setup
      Create a new project named "ShowLimits" in VS2017, following Method 2 in Tutorial 0 (working with a text editor is still possible in this tutorial, but not recommended)
      Your IUserMod implementation should look like this:
      using ICities; namespace ShowLimits { public class ShowLimitsMod : IUserMod { public string Name => "Show Limits"; public string Description => "Displays the number of buildings and trees in your city (Hotkey CTRL + I)"; } }  
      Step 4: Threading Hook & Hotkeys
      The IThreadingExtension/ThreadingExtensionBase is another hook provided by the official modding API. Classes implementing IThreadingExtension are invoked before, during and after every simulation tick (many times per second). It is important that the contained code is very light-weight (no IO operations, like reading configuration files, no object construction...).
      We will use the hook to check if the player is pressing they keyboard shortcut (CTRL + I).
      Create a new class called ShowLimitsThreading:
      using ColossalFramework.UI; using ICities; using UnityEngine; namespace ShowLimits { public class ShowLimitsThreading : ThreadingExtensionBase { private bool _processed = false; public override void OnUpdate(float realTimeDelta, float simulationTimeDelta) { if ((Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftControl) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightControl)) && Input.GetKey(KeyCode.I)) { // cancel if they key input was already processed in a previous frame if (_processed) return; _processed = true; // compose message int treeCount = TreeManager.instance.m_treeCount; int maxTreeCount = TreeManager.MAX_TREE_COUNT; int buildingCount = BuildingManager.instance.m_buildingCount; int maxBuildingCount = BuildingManager.MAX_BUILDING_COUNT; string message = $"Trees: {treeCount} of {maxTreeCount}\nBuildings: {buildingCount} of {maxBuildingCount}"; // display message ExceptionPanel panel = UIView.library.ShowModal<ExceptionPanel>("ExceptionPanel"); panel.SetMessage("Show Limits", message, false); } else { // not both keys pressed: Reset processed state _processed = false; } } } }
      Now compile the mod (F6). If there are any compilation errors, use the error list in VS2017 to locate and fix the error (View > Error List)
      When the compilation was successful, run the game. Enable the mod in content manager (if your mod does not show up, you probably forgot to setup the post build script).
      Now create or load a city. Press Ctrl + I:

Happy Coding!
      Download Source

Next Part: