• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
citycowboy

NAM 34 Elevated 6 and 8 lane support

13 posts in this topic

Hi, is there a good video that shows support for the elevated NAM 34 8 and 6 lane highways, particularly on and off ramps? I've been trying for a while now, and have gotten Project Symphony down, but everytime I add an off ramp to the elevated 6 or 8 lane highway it just squishes it. Any help would be great, thank you.

There aren't any videos that I'm aware of that are dedicated to the ramp interface support for the wider elevated RHWs, though this one from Ganaram shows an elevated RHW-10S ramp being built (this should be at the right time index, but if not, it's at 1:35):

The process for building the elevated ramps is just like building the ground ones, though there's some more restrictions on which types support which networks.  You mentioned "6 and 8-lane", but there's actually two different networks (RHW-6S and RHW-6C, and RHW-8S and RHW-8C) for both of those widths, which does potentially change the answer I'd give you.  If you're using FLEXRamps, however, the description text should tell you which networks are supported by that setup--including the elevated height levels, if any, that are good to go.

-Tarkus

matias93 and APSMS like this

Out of curiosity, what ramp type were you using?  The elevated (L1/L2) RHW-8S networks should support Type A1 ramps, and I've just confirmed that they do with my copy.  There's definitely something odd up with your installation in that case, and I'd reinstall.  Make sure the Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files folder is cleared out of files, as it might be possible that some old RUL files of NAM 32 or earlier vintage are laying around and ended up getting compiled into your controller.

If it's a D1, then the elevated RHW-8S networks don't support that, due to the overhang issue caused by the lane drop.

-Tarkus

matias93 likes this

it's A1, and I'm going to reinstall NAM, which will take several hours so we'll see if that works in a day or two. Thank you very much for your help.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:25 AM, citycowboy said:

and I'm going to reinstall NAM, which will take several hours

Seriously? What computer are you using, is it a Commodore VIC-20? If the installer takes that long, your PC is sick, very sick.

Compdude787 likes this

We've gone over this before, its the Windows 7 Professional with the AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800 + 2.4 GHz with 3.00 GB of RAM on the 32 Bit Operating System.  The speed of this thing is ridiculously slow, but whenever I try putting SC4 on a faster computer, we have graphics card issues. I'm not going to do all the linux and wine crap to build an SC4 purpose built computer - today. It would also help if I repackaged all 10k of my plugins, but I learned that takes way too long to do. However, I have learned over the past year that I can possibly run a computer with a slave drive at the same time somehow, eliminating my start time. When the time comes for doing that, I'm going to re load all of my plugins, and at that time, everything should be good to go. I didn't learn about datapacking until I already had like 6k plugins, so the cat was already well out of the bag. I'm hoping that when I do all of that, that it could possibly clear up some of my zoom out level 5 building dissappearance issues, but that's also another thing, I'm hoping to learn how to build these buildings with GMAX, and possibly learn how to relot a lot of these buildings, and someday be able to do all that. For now I'll just turn the game on, go to work, and when I come home, its all ready to go. (6 1/2 hours to start) :) Thanks for your time. 

But your plugins folder's size and contents is in no way related to the speed of installing the NAM.

If you are saying it takes the installer that long to run, you have a serious problem. I joking used the Commodore VIC-20 as an example, but your hard drive read/write speed would have to be as slow as writing to old-style cassettes for that to occur.

So either you have problems with Windows using Virtual Memory constantly. Or your hard drive is on it's last legs and your data is at risk.

Realistically, the slowest hard drive made in the last 15 years runs around 5,000RPM on an IDE bus. I have such a drive on a 2003 ThinkPad. The NAM installer didn't take 10 minutes to complete. So if yours is taking that long and you aren't exaggerating, something is very, very wrong.

The NAM installer isn't the problem, loading NAM takes about 5 minutes, albeit it never picks up the java part. The problem is I have to turn the game off, unload NAM, re-install NAM, and then restart SC4. The restarting SC4 is the 6 1/2 hour part. I think what the problem is is running virtual memory constantly. I've copied and pasted my plugins folder onto other computers I use for work related graphics, etc, and played SC4, and the game started up instantly. The problem there is the graphics cards aren't compatible with the HD terrain mods, etc. so that isn't something I want to do. I really don't have much of an issue with it, because once the game is on, it works just fine. The real issue I'd like to figure out is that some buildings, when zoomed out, disappear, mostly diagonals. I've talked to some of the creators of these BATs, and they say that the buildings work perfectly fine, and have for 10 years or more. So I'm thinking there's something wrong with my setup, but I haven't had time to look into it all that much. 

Well firstly, you don't need to uninstall NAM, in fact you are making your life harder if you do. Just run the installer once more and it will pick up all your previous settings. You can then simply change any settings you need to, rather than go through everything over and over.

6 1/2 hours to load the game, WOW! No, that's not virtual memory then. That's how long it takes SC4 to index what is a very large amount of content. If you like SC4 that much, do yourself a favour and buy an SSD. You only need a cheap 60GB one. Dedicate it purely to holding your plugins folder. I guarantee that figure would reduce significantly for less than a $50 / € / £ investment. Not to mention, not having to worry about compatibility, since it's a hard drive.

Also, computers like to be switched off once in a while. It does them no good whatsoever to be running 24/7. I need to reboot my system after a couple weeks of using standby or it starts to get clogged up with things that only "reset" with a reboot. So if you don't ever switch your machine off, perhaps a reboot would make a world of difference too.

nos.17, matias93 and Tarkus like this

I have re-installed, rebooted, re-everythinged, and it's still not working, unfortunately. :(

The only thing I've added since is the no grass mod which works perfectly fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I really do appreciate it.

On 7/20/2016 at 7:37 AM, citycowboy said:

We've gone over this before, its the Windows 7 Professional with the AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800 + 2.4 GHz with 3.00 GB of RAM on the 32 Bit Operating System.  The speed of this thing is ridiculously slow, but whenever I try putting SC4 on a faster computer, we have graphics card issues. I'm not going to do all the linux and wine crap to build an SC4 purpose built computer - today. It would also help if I repackaged all 10k of my plugins, but I learned that takes way too long to do. However, I have learned over the past year that I can possibly run a computer with a slave drive at the same time somehow, eliminating my start time. When the time comes for doing that, I'm going to re load all of my plugins, and at that time, everything should be good to go. I didn't learn about datapacking until I already had like 6k plugins, so the cat was already well out of the bag. I'm hoping that when I do all of that, that it could possibly clear up some of my zoom out level 5 building dissappearance issues, but that's also another thing, I'm hoping to learn how to build these buildings with GMAX, and possibly learn how to relot a lot of these buildings, and someday be able to do all that. For now I'll just turn the game on, go to work, and when I come home, its all ready to go. (6 1/2 hours to start) :) Thanks for your time. 

Mine runs beautifully on Windows 10 64 bit, i5, 8GB RAM, but I did buy the game again from Amazon.  The old CD version wasn't working well because of the deprecated DRM, but the downloadable one does.  At first I was mad that I had to buy it again, but really, its a 13 year old game that I've logged 100s if not 1000s of hours on.  It would be a bargain even if I had to buy it every year.

A SSD will make a huge difference in load times with large plugins folders.  There are also tweaks you can add to launch which help.  Here's mine SimCity 4.exe" -w -l:english -Intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1600x900x32.  I play in a non full screen window, but I also play at 1080p sometimes. 

The only problems I ever have are due to plugin conflicts which sometimes C2D.  I just have too many.  I wish there was a way to find which ones were causing the conflicts.

The feature is tested as working, so either you're using the wrong NAM version (34 is the latest) or somehow your NAM Controller is not correct. The only reason for this would be if other similar files are in your plugins folder, overriding the newer ones. These files almost certainly would come from an older NAM install, since NAM is the only mod that messes with these things. Logically, the problem must lie somewhere in your plugins folder.

If you are really serious about fixing it, you'll probably need to track down said problem. But, before you do that, you should make a known-working setup of NAM. The only way to do this, involves taking your current plugins folder completely out of the equation.

1. Open the SimCity 4 folder located inside My Documents, inside here is a folder named "Plugins".
    Rename this folder to "Plugins Backup".
    Then create a totally new folder, name this "Plugins".
  2. Open the second Plugins Folder, located by default at "Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins"
    This folder should contain .dll files and 5 .png files (Background3DX) only. If any other files/folders exist here, temporarily move them to a safe place.
  3. Run the NAM Installer.
    Make absolutely certain you run a custom install.
    Goto NAM Networks and Network Expansions / Real Highway Mod (RHW), ensure the following options are selected:
    • RHW L0 Networks - Select ALL
    • RHW L1 Networks - Select ALL
  4. Goto Additional Features and Customizations
    Ensure that Enable Decoupling of Networks and Rules is NOT ticked.
  5. You can now choose from any other options as you desire. Go ahead and install NAM, which should be inside your new plugins folder when complete.

Assuming you follow every step as I've outlined above, there is no possible way that other files could be conflicting with the NAM. Also, you should have all the options required to build these elevated ramps. Run SC4 and test things, make sure you use a test city/region, not a cherished city.

If at this point, everything is working as intended. You should use this new Plugins folder as a base. Slowly move files from "Plugins Backup" into "Plugins", testing if things still work after each batch is moved. At some point it will stop working, you then know the last group of files you moved contain the problem. You should be safely able to restore the remaining files from "Plugins Backup" into "Plugins", leaving you with just the files known to contain the problem. Test SC4 once more, just to be sure there isn't more than one source of your troubles hanging around. Assuming there isn't, you need to go through the files with the problem very carefully. Most likely, the files will be from an earlier version of the NAM that hasn't been cleaned out.

And that's really all anyone can do to further assist you with this problem.

APSMS likes this