• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Robban040

Re-creating the city of Malmö

144 posts in this topic

4th image on the rails towards the left there is a bit of a shadow on the rails. I'd suggest using something like MoveIt to adjust the heights of the tracks so they look better rendered and levelled. Other than that fantastic work.

Very well done. I regually check this post for inspiration for different parts of my city. Great job!

On 2017-02-07 at 5:37 AM, 212 said:

Just ridiculously good.

Thank you very much! :)

On 2017-02-07 at 1:56 PM, hbn said:

4th image on the rails towards the left there is a bit of a shadow on the rails. I'd suggest using something like MoveIt to adjust the heights of the tracks so they look better rendered and levelled. Other than that fantastic work.

Cheers! Good point regarding the rails, will fix it when i get time :)

On 2017-02-07 at 9:37 PM, jacob814 said:

Very well done. I regually check this post for inspiration for different parts of my city. Great job!

Thank you! Glad i could inspire you! :)

Awesome work! Truly an inspiration, I really like your harbour.

One question - that white ship alongside the pier in the harbour, is it a prop? I can't find something like it on the workshop.

The level of details is just incredible ! :kitty: Really smart laying out for the train lane ;) 

Thank you! :)

Yeah i enjoy building the railyards. Thinking about it all the infrastructure, airports, harbors etc, is one of the most enjoyable things in the game to build.

Havnt been able to play much the last few weeks.

Here's three shot of the current status. Population is climbing above 200k.

The downtown is more or less complete (still some detailing to be done)

ZRF8M63.jpg

Gb9xOF3.jpg

3y7KFvf.jpg

3 people like this

SO...I decided to jump to another project, namely "Malmö".

Im trying to re-create my hometown.

Still alooooooong way to go, but here are some shots of my current progress.

I picked up an old save, so theres alot of detailing and re-doing to be done.

The shots below show the harbor and one of the highway entrances to town.

(The pictures are heavily work in progress)

b1NX20l.jpg

J52MrqW.jpg

Bwz6CAm.jpg

4 people like this

Damn, Malmö is a lovely city, and that looks great! Excellent job with the railyard and port, and great apartment complexes as always. Are you going to take a crack at old town? I'd love to see that.

4 hours ago, hotChocolate said:

Damn, Malmö is a lovely city, and that looks great! Excellent job with the railyard and port, and great apartment complexes as always. Are you going to take a crack at old town? I'd love to see that.

Thank you!

Yeah i will make the old town aswell. Actually I've done it already, but i think i will remake it.

Had some time to play this weekend. Been expaning the eastern part of the inner city.

The railyard maintenance building at "Kirseberg"

3NwS1jp.jpg

3s7QGE2.jpg

Overview of current status:

xYdE31i.jpg

4 people like this

I like how you weld buildings together so freely to create totally new shapes and combinations. Great thread, thanks for sharing. *:thumb:

Great work there. Just wondering with MoveIt, when using it to move your zoned buildings to be wall to walls at funny angles, does it affect their function in anyway or risk them being dezoned?

On 2017-03-05 at 5:14 PM, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

I like how you weld buildings together so freely to create totally new shapes and combinations. Great thread, thanks for sharing. *:thumb:

Thank you very much!

As you probably have noticed I used your highrise building :)

On 2017-03-05 at 6:51 PM, hbn said:

Great work there. Just wondering with MoveIt, when using it to move your zoned buildings to be wall to walls at funny angles, does it affect their function in anyway or risk them being dezoned?

Thank you!

No they work fine, aslong as there is a street nearby

I think you're winning this game ...

14 hours ago, 212 said:

I think you're winning this game ...

Haha yaaay, what do i win?! ;)

Just one showing  "Bulltofta" industrial area:

SKJbMgA.jpg

4 people like this

1 hour ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

Nice. May I suggest to you the dynamic resolution mod? It's great to remove the aliasing that you get. You can just crank it up for screenshots and then put it back down again.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812713438

You can also not use that mod but use Shift + F12 to take a 4x resolution screenshot.

You can't do both though, if you have the mod and use shift + F12 it just saves a pixelated upscaled screenshot.

Good for me because with that mod I couldn't even take a screenshot at the 0.0001 fps I get.

8 hours ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

Nice. May I suggest to you the dynamic resolution mod? It's great to remove the aliasing that you get. You can just crank it up for screenshots and then put it back down again.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812713438

7 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

You can also not use that mod but use Shift + F12 to take a 4x resolution screenshot.

You can't do both though, if you have the mod and use shift + F12 it just saves a pixelated upscaled screenshot.

Good for me because with that mod I couldn't even take a screenshot at the 0.0001 fps I get.

Thank you guys for the input. I will try the high resolution screen shots next time :)

I had to really look hard at the highways to find out whether these were CSL or Google Maps captures. This means you're doing an excellent job!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By themarty
      Hi everybody,
      I came so far to provide some city journal on my latest one.
      The city is called Koszałkowo (read: Koshaukovo).
      Current populaton reaches slowly 300.000 cims. It has 6 regional train lines, with two large stations, one tram line on the island (in the north) and bunch of bus lines. There are two airports - KAX International (KAX), the smaller one, and the La Luna International Airport (LLI) the big one. Koszałkowo has also big port on smaller island in the middle.
      The city is located on three land parts, with big Manhattan-style island in the middle. At the west there is co called Old Koszałkowo, which is core part of the old city. At the east there is currently only an airport and pretty large industrial zone. There is still a lot of place there, especially on the hill, but this is left for future...
      Additionally to the city itself, there are 4 smaller towns/villages:
      - Big Boobs Beach ;-) in south-west, which is mostly for recreation,
      - Fondenong (former timberland)
      - Chestnut Heights and Moore Park (farming villages)
      In many cases I still keep the original names provided automatically by the game, even I do not like them all. But I focus more on developing the city first. So names are subject to change.
      First the map (created by CSLMapView)... Screenshots will follow soon.
      For the technical: I have 16GB of RAM and i5 6500 processor, Nvidia 960 GTX. The city runs with 68 mods and ca. 3000 custom assets (not all of them are actually used, but at these numbers it is now very hard to make a selection).

• By korver
      Please view the full size resolution link here before casting your vote! The gallery doesn't tend to do mosaics/panoramas a lot of justice.
      The harbour city in all its glory. You may have seen my Sydney recreation before in my CJ True Earth here, but you've never seen it before like this. I felt like a panorama was the best way to truly capture this amazing city for this final challenge. This panorama showcases the entire center of the city from Hyde Park on the far left to North Sydney on the right, just past the iconic Harbour Bridge. To top things off, I decided to showcase the city in a sunset setting - while Sydney is amazing at all times of the day, I felt like there was just something truly magical about seeing Sydney in the sunset.
      Additional notes:
      This scene features countless buildings imported into the game - real, ingame assets, just like any other BAT you would download and use in the game yourself. The bridge and highway system can are completely modular, a picture illustrating this can be seen here. This scene as a whole also required extensive custom content creation. A majority of the buildings had to be custom lotted in addition to making 40-50 custom made Sydney road textures, complete with authentic bus and bike lanes.

• By Guerro1996
      Look at this beatiful avenue crossing, love how beautiful the trees look in the area!!, everytime I try to do avenues the greenest possible.
    • By rsc204
      Welcome to a short (or maybe not so short, depends on how quick everyone dies), Banished CJ. I've just picked up this game and the nature of it lends itself so well to storytelling, I just had to do something about it. Pepeekskill is only my second city, which I almost managed to kill off before it had started. But something odd happened from all the death, I had a well laid out city and infrastructure for a tiny number of people. Careful cultivation saw me bring it back from the brink, hopefully that will continue, although progress in terms of population has been slow.
      Either way, the whole saga has given me a good story idea or two, so let's just see where that takes us...
      Note: All names used in the CJ are the ones of the actual citizens of Pepeekskill. Any likeness to persons living, dead or zombies should be really unlikely.

Part1: The Story of Neil
      A long time ago, on the banks of the River Pepeek, a small band of settlers, Banished from their homeland, arrived, exhausted from their ordeal. The six families who had wandered through forests, over mountains and hills and waded through rivers had nothing more to give. It is here, on the banks of that river, that our story begins with Neil, one of the children who were dragged along. Listening to the conversations and arguments of the adults, while he tried to forget the biting cold and the never-ending hunger, Neil would have no notion that his memories would hold such significance in the settlement's history...
      "We've come far enough, they will never have followed us here."
      That night, the leader was dragged from his sleep by a pack of wolves. He was not seen again. Neil remembered only parts of the commotion the next morning, but what happened next was clear. The group decided to settle here, building rudimentary shelter to protect them from wild creatures and other potential threats. Within two weeks the first signs of civilisation were appearing, within six, a number of wooden huts and a barn for storage was built. During the first days, the river had been named the Pepeek, and while building, a tributary was discovered nearby and named the Skill Waters. The settlement on the corner of the two was thusly named Pepeekskill, which would become home to Neil for the rest of his life.

In 1602, a mere seven years after the founding of Pepeekskill, a series of terrible events conspired, leading to a food shortage and mass starvation. Just four people made it from the original group: three adults and Neil, the only surviving child. The memories of those events remained with Neil his whole life, but rather than allow the terrible experience to destroy him, Neil used his abilities, so as to avoid a repeat of the disaster. He helped setting up the town’s school, hospital and oversaw resource management as a young adult, always trying to impart the experience of those unfortunate early settlers to the next generation. Out of the most horrible beginning imaginable, in his lifetime the settlement suddenly seemed to have a bright future, one that would last for generations to come.
      Neil had been married to one of the other three surviving members of the original founders, Scarla. He was widowed at the age of 76, when Scarla passed away. They never had any children of their own, but had done a fine job helping to raise the other youngsters that grew up around them.
      In his eighties, he became the last of the original settlers of Pepeekskill. Most of his life spent as a hardworking labourer, in his later years he took the more relaxing position at the infrequently busy trading post in the settlement, where he could sit idly by watching the flows of the River Pepeek and it's fishermen making a living, contemplating his long life and contributions towards the settlement in that time.
      Of the founding principles of life in Pepeekskill, a great many had come from the wise head on Neil's shoulders. Having nearly witnessed the end of the settlement before it had barely begun, he always sought to ensure security of the basics needed for life. The harsh lessons of his childhood turned into a wisdom he would pass along to all those in the settlement. For everyone knows Neil from his various civic activities. Pepeekskill has become a thriving locale, which always ensures that plenty of food, warm clothing, tools and fuel are kept in reserve. From time to time, others would laugh and mock Neil, claiming his reserves were too great. But his answer was always the same; "Take not what you want today, if you might need it tomorrow". Over the years, his planning and policies have proved sufficient to weather any storm to befit the settlers, keeping them healthy and safe. The settlement even manages a reasonable surplus these days, which can be used to barter for goods the settlement needs whenever a passing trader arrives at the small port.
      Early infrastructure had been built before the disaster in 1602, starting with the main bridge across the Pepeek River, thus allowing access across it, in addition to one of its main tributaries, the Skill Water, where a second smaller bridge stands. The two rivers meet at the settlement's current south-western border. These vital links have proven their worth by allowing citizens to gather resources over a much larger area than would otherwise have been possible, helping to ensure that food and materials have been in plentiful supply, aiding the continued expansion of the settlement. Despite the troubles, a small herd of sheep have been carefully nurtured over a few generations and today the herd numbers over 25 animals. This provides a good quantity of both mutton and wool, the former of which makes a delicious local stew. Whilst the wool contributes to keep residents warm in even the coldest of weather, used as it is in the manufacturing of clothing. Recently the herd has been capable of producing sufficient meat and textiles, that products from the sheep have become the most important asset for trading with the outside world.
      Potential mining sites have been scouted, located north of the existing forestry operations. Talk of potential mining and quarrying as a large source of trade and growth have been touted by many locals.

But the future of Pepeekskill is still far from decided.
      In the year 1683, aged 89, Neil passed away from natural causes. As the settlement nears its centenary, the population is close to 40. Pepeekskill will forever remember Neil and the other three founders who survived the terrors of 1602 to bring their settlement into existence. Their stories have passed into legend and are taught in the local school as the history of the settlement. The people of Pepeekskill will be looking for a way to immortalise Neil in future. But for the time being, life carries on, one which is still hard and unforgiving. But everyone knows that preparedness is key to survival. A lesson that is baked into the history of Pepeekskill.

• By Cyclone Boom

Our friends at GOG.com had a special City-Builder discount sale!  (Closed as of February 13, 2PM GMT) 

As part of this, Simtropolis has been given a bunch of free keys to selected games to give away!
      Winners announced here!

If you want one of these games, simply reply to this thread by answering ONE of the questions below:
      What's your favourite city-building game, and why will you always be fond of it? Write a creative and entertaining review (good or bad) of any city-building game. The ways in which custom content has transformed the city-building game you play. Tell us about your most memorable city-building experience, funny, tragic or otherwise.
      There is no minimum or maximum, but aim to write at least 50 words.

FAQ

Q: How are prize winners selected?
      A: The Admins will pick their favourite replies below, so don't delay, post away!
      Q: How many times can I reply?
      A: Just one reply per person please.
      Q: Can I add images or video to my post?
      A: Sure! Feel free to be creative to make your post stand out.
      Q: Does it have to be written in a certain style?
      A: No, not at all. Just aim to make it creative and entertaining, whether fact or fiction...
      Q: How long does this run for?
      A: The closing date to enter is Monday 13th February at 23:59 (EST).

Prizes

Winners will be able to select ONE of the following City-Building classics, to add to their personal collection:

Caesar

SimCity 2000 Special Edition

Caesar II

Pharaoh + Cleopatra

SimCity 3000 Unlimited

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom

Banished

Tropico 5

Lethis - Path of Progress

Urban Empire

Whatever your experience with a City-Builder, we'd love to hear it.