• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us with our donation goal for a new Chat upgrade!   04/17/2017

Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anselm_eickhoff

Background: A Tale of Two Worlds

4 posts in this topic

Interesting Read! It's always neat to read about the logic that goes into developing software, especially when said software is still under development. I wonder what that Super Secret Mindblowing Update is. I guess we're just gonna have to wait.

Hope everything else is going good for you as well. Look forward to the next proof of life update...;).

This is nothing new and startling.  In the old days is was called a deadly embrace because A is trying to update B but can't because B is locked, but B is trying to update A, but A has set its lock because it is a critical section of the code.  This all requires adroit use of semaphores or gates on lists within objects or sometimes objects and/or lists of objects.  Modern computers are so fast that a general program pause could go by without the user noticing it while a save was in progress.  That is, the whole program simulation stops (freezes) momentarily while the save is organized in a buffer then can be released while the write progresses.

I've done a lot of transaction processing in my time, and you ought to try this will a couple of thousand users all trying to update the same set of files at the same time.  It has been solved for years.  You need to arrange it so that events within the simulation to be atomic (that is, each event is discrete and complete).  Where there are thousands of events going on, this becomes a horror show, but it can be done.  Acceptable response times for commercial applications like banking are on the order of three seconds or less.  I imagine for a graphics game 3,000 ms is an eternity, so it has to be much quicker than that for each thread.  Good luck.

It is great that there would be double buffering.

Even mid-end computers nowadays have large amounts of RAM, making this much simpler.