Cyclone Boom

Microsoft continues 'bullish' Windows 10 upgrade tactics

On 19/08/2016 at 11:21 AM, NMUSpidey said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again: disabling their updates was the single best, performance-enhancing thing I did with my machine.  It makes me sad to think that my next computer is going to be saddled with this, unless rash measures are taken (Linux?) and Windows is done away with.

I wish I had done this, really bad mistake letting it go ahead ... I spent about two hours this morning trying to work out what was causing my computer to slow down to the point of being completely useless, anyway after making sure I had backup's of everything I needed including my firefox and thunderbird profiles I was annoyed enough to go here

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Download and burn to DVD the 64-bit Cinnamon desktop and half an hour later I joined the Linux world, it was surprising easy only problem encountered so far was I selected the wrong keyboard during the install and had to go back later and change to the correct one, copied over my firefox and thunderbird profiles into the default ones and pretty much back to normal apart from a couple of addon's no longer work on Linux.

No problems installing Steam and so far have installed Cities in Motion 1 and 2 and Cities Skylines, Banished and SimCity 4 are a different issue as neither of them have Linux versions and in the case of SC4 I was working on a Project for it so it will be interesting to see just how much I can get working again ... I'll post updates on how I'm going with this, anyway new desktop

screenshot-from-2016-09-03-22-28-28-jpeg

Ooo, that looks so simple.  When I look to upgrade to a new computer, this may be the way to go.  I'll have to start seriously researching it when the time comes.

6 hours ago, NMUSpidey said:

Ooo, that looks so simple...

And it seems to be alot faster ... on Windows 7 when I'd go to play Cities Skylines it was a struggle, I'd click the shortcut and then go off and get a drink or something as it used to take so long to start up, tried out all the steam games last night, clicked on C:S and went to stand up but before I could C:S  started up so I've gone from about 10+ minutes to start to under a minute.

Got some instructions for installing Banished

http://banished-wiki.com/wiki/Tutorials/Banished_on_Mac_and_Linux

Have just finished installed Wine and the PlayonLinux and on the PlayonLinux site it says this for SimCity 4

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-311.html

So sometime today I'll have a go at both of these and see how I go.

-catty

EDIT: Don't try installing SC4 from this link turns out you use the PlayonLinux program installed on your computer ... for some reason POL is in the games menu

EDIT2: Don't need any of this instructions apart from Installing PlayonLinux

Hm, glad I read this thread and saw the thing about the older operating systems. I run Windows 7 and will refuse to go past it for as long as I can. This is a horrible development... one of the main reasons people stuck with 7 was their ability to control updates and selectively allow them from to time. I would usually have it off and then occasionally go in and install the updates, fishing out the trash MS would try to stick on my machine. Looks like I'll never be running an update again on this computer.

I really liked Windows 7 would have happily stayed a Win7 User ... anyway wasn't expected to be back till tonight with an update on how this is going, but so far this is proving to be one of the easiest OS changes I've ever done, so none of the links in my last post are needed, to get Banished and SimCity 4 working you do the following

First off while its not necessary Install and Configure Wine (POL will also install Wine) from the Software Manager menu ... I set it to emulate Windows XP

While still in the Software Manager Install PlayonLinux and then download the list of programs that you can install from this program

Select SimCity 4 Deluxe and follow the instructions (make sure you have your Steam Login and Password handy)

At the end you will have a Wine Desktop with Steam Installed and you play SC4D from the virtual Steam ... at this point I wondered if I could just go ahead and install Banished from the virtual Steam rather than go and install the gog version of Banished which is what POL will install.

screenshot-from-2016-09-04-06-40-50-jpeg 

seems to work ok, the SimCity 4 Deluxe shortcut you can see on the desktop just starts up the Wine Desktop and then you click on Virtual Steam to either start SC4D or Banished

So still have to work out how to get my mods, plugins and regions back ... will be heading out (RL) for a few hours shortly so it will be this afternoon or evening before I can continue with this and I'm also assuming I can make the Wine Desktop bigger.

-catty

4 hours ago, KillrChicken said:

Thanks for this info. I might just abondon windblows all together now.

So far I haven't had any problems, but its only been a day and I also apart from starting up my games to see if they work haven't actually played them so there could be unexpected issues, but so far its been pretty smooth sailing ... I used to be a linux user about 10 years ago and that's why I've been reluctant to make the change as installing linux in those days used to be a real headache ... not so much the linux but actually getting things to work on it even connected to the Internet required you to do some real fiddling things to get it working.

its been a bit like going straight from a horse and carriage to a hovercraft and missing the bit in between

22 hours ago, catty-cb said:

...At the end you will have a Wine Desktop with Steam Installed and you play SC4D from the virtual Steam ... at this point I wondered if I could just go ahead and install Banished from the virtual Steam rather than go and install the gog version of Banished which is what POL will install....

Don't try this at home ... while it will work without mods it fatal errors if you try and include any of your Banished mods and as Colonial Charter is to Banished what the Network Addon Mod is to SC4D I'm going to have to buy the GOG version of Banished if I want mods especially CC.

Different story with SC4D found the SimCity 4 folder in my home directory with empty regions and plugins folders copied over my regions and plugins to them from my portable harddrive and as you can see from the attached picture things are looking ok and no brown boxes so far in-game.

-catty

Screenshot from 2016-09-04 23-28-43.jpeg

A further update on my ditching Microsoft and going all green and minty (Linux Mint)

I'm pretty much not noticing any difference between using Windows 7 and Linux Mint, slight difference in screens and where the programs are located and how you run them but really I was expecting to be more aware that I wasn't running Win7 anymore and that's not the case, PlayonLinux is great I can even still play Microsoft Spider Solitaire using it :lol:

The only issue that I'm having is with Steam, no problem with the Desktop version or any of the Linux versions of the games I use, but Virtual Steam keeps complaining it can't run because there is another version of Steam running  :(

So two choices here is delete Virtual Steam and re-install SimCity 4 Deluxe using my SC4 disks ... still leaves the issue of getting things like gMAX, SC4BAT and the LOT Editor working again or because I've still got my Windows XP Professional install discs stored away somewhere I can instead install VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Its available in the Software Manager so its just a matter of clicking a button and it seems I can disable network access to any operating system I install so I don't have to worry about anymore Microsoft updates or needing things like anti-virus software.

.... to be continued

-catty

Unless anyone has any questions this will be my last post on moving over to Linux Mint in this topic ... if anyone thinks its worth starting a new topic and continuing to post updates on my move to Linux then I happy to oblige.

So here we are a week after I'd finally had enough of Microsoft and its ### updates and installed Linux Mint, would I recommend Linux Mint to people as a Windows replacement the answer is yes, its works and works well ... a few very minor hiccups along the way but nothing that wasn't easily sorted out, I can't say the same for all the various Linux instructions to be found on the INTERNET if you start reading any of them you would go back to using Windows some of them make it sound like you need quite a high level of Linux knowledge ... opening up command windows and typing lengthy program commands to do something ... I'm not saying the instructions won't work but so far I've not needed to do anything other than click a button to do something, take Virtualbox ...

I read the various tutorials on the Internet and I was very much thinking I'm not sure I want to do any of that ... so I didn't, did this instead ... clicked on the Software Manager, searched for VirtualBox which brought up this screen (see attached pictures)

On the theory that the one with the most reviews was the one I needed to install first, I did so, it came up and said that I also needed to install virtualbox-dkms, virtualbox-source and VirtualBox (qt Interface)

Found where it had installed VirtualBox and started it up and picked the operating system I wanted to install and the settings ie memory, harddrive space, etc

Major problem at this point Windows XP Pro wouldn't install, turns out if you look at the second picture in the System settings I'd selected Acceleration once I'd unselected these options I was able to go ahead and install Windows XP Pro

And as you can see from picture three I now have Windows XP Pro installed and as far as I can tell its working OK, did I need VirtualBox maybe not, but I do want SimCity 4 and all the various programs I've used over the years like SC4Tool, gMAX, SC4BAT just to name a few, and yes I pretty certain I could have got them all working on Linux Mint either via Wine or PlayonLinux but I'm not sure how well all the various programs would have worked or how long it would have taken ... this way I get the best of both worlds.

-catty

Screenshot from 2016-09-10 06-46-20.jpeg

Screenshot from 2016-09-10 06-46-34.jpeg

Screenshot from 2016-09-10 07-34-16.jpeg

2 hours ago, catty-cb said:

I now have Windows XP Pro installed and as far as I can tell its working OK

Did you have to Activate it online?

@catty-cb

Did you notice any performance issues, or differences with running SC4 in VirtualBox?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your progress. Good to know there is hope for SC4 outside of Windows, and the learning curve isn't as steep as Linux is renowned to have.

If you'd like, you're most welcome to continue in a new thread, as this kind of info is very useful. :)

For those who'd like to explore Linux, but don't yet want to fully abandon their current system, you could try installing it on VirtualBox as Catty showed (or a similar VM application). As a VirtualBox user myself, I've found it's a really flexible tool to test software in different environments. Amongst other things, it also has handy 'clone' and 'snapshot' features. This means you can make an identical copy of a system, or restore to a previous working state (kind of like System Restore).

Another possibility is to dual-boot Linux on a separate partition -- meaning you can run two operating systems in their own right. This is great to check if the new system is compatible with your hardware/software, and you can always continue using your current setup. Just remember to make a full backup of your files (ideally a system image), you know, just in case anything goes wrong.

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

Did you have to Activate it online?

Yes ... So I did end up installing a spare Norton Anti-Virus license that I had, of course the snag with going online is WinXP now wants to do 133 Microsoft updates  :(  on the plus side as this is a virtual install so it won't stuff up my computer if I let it go ahead ... still thinking about this  :???:

1 hour ago, Cyclone Boom said:

@catty-cb

Did you notice any performance issues, or differences with running SC4 in VirtualBox?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your progress. Good to know there is hope for SC4 outside of Windows, and the learning curve isn't as steep as Linux is renowned to have.

If you'd like, you're most welcome to continue in a new thread, as this kind of info is very useful. :)

WinXP feels faster ... it certainly starts a lot faster, but RL interrupted before I could install SC4 and I'm only just popping in before RL takes over again so it will be later tonight before I can install SC4 on it, my plugins folder is just over 4gb and I know how long it took to start SimCity 4 on my desktop.

I'll start another topic and report back on how the SC4 install went hopefully this evening or sometime tomorrow.

-catty

1 hour ago, catty-cb said:

... the snag with going online is WinXP now wants to do 133 Microsoft updates  :(  on the plus side as this is a virtual install so it won't stuff up my computer if I let it go ahead ... still thinking about this  :???:

If I understand it right, you could now make a copy of that installation and save it as a vanilla version? Then do the updates and have that as a 2nd copy so you could use whichever suited you best.

The way I did my XP Pro was I made one image file with just XP and SP3 installed. Then a 2nd image with all the suggested updates. And a final one with everything they thought I might possibly want. Since I have a corporate edition I can unpack any of those Ghost images onto any of my Dells and not have to go online. Seems like the VirtualBox image would allow you to do the same now that you have XP activated.

I'll be watching here for a linky to the new thread you make. I test drove LinusMint a long time ago. Like verstion 12 or so. I managed to get my D2 running under Wine, but could never get it to go full screen. And playing in a window didn't work cause Alt + Mouse move in game highlights treasures on the ground, but in Linux it just moved the window around. One thing I especially liked about Mint was there was one button to click to drop into a chat room where there were really helpful peeps. They walked me thru a couple of the more difficult parts getting my game to run in Wine.

I decided to bite the bullet and move to windows 10. It is surprisingly good, but still a little buggy OS. It also supports my 2004 Paraell SCSI controller too. I still plan to go Linux when Wine is able to successfully do Final Fantasy XIV (14) without a hitch.

Yeah, sort of an unhanded way to force an upgrade, though I would highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10 if you are Windows-based.  Of course, not every computer can handle Windows 10 and not every program or peripheral will function after an upgrade.  The upgrade is really nice and simple for basic users.  It won't wipe out all your programs and data, though I would suggest an upgrade to Windows 10 the perfect time to do a fresh wipe of the old hard drive to clear off all the junk.  I'm based in China and I've noticed that almost NOBODY besides myself has upgraded to Windows 10 preferring to stick with their pirated copies of Windows Vista and XP.

Oh well, this sort of tactic (hitting the X button actually accepts something) smacks of the same tactic I hate with Chinese applications.  Hit the no button or the uninstall and it actually adds more crap to your system.

Few days before free upgrade offer ends, I returned back to the Windows 8.1 , which is the best Windows I've used ever and I started "my career" with Windows 3.11 .

And actually I use Windows 10 at my tablet, it is "barely tolerable" if you make some modifications ( disable Defender , Automatic Updates, Telemetry, Privacy concerns and use offline account)

And for Linux I am in "Linux is only free if your time has no value" wagon :)

1 hour ago, moSonče said:

....And for Linux I am in "Linux is only free if your time has no value" wagon :)

I installed Linux a couple of weeks ago and Linux Mint 18 version that I went for, has so far proved the most problem free, and easiest install of any operating system I've ever done and that includes all the Window installs going back to Win95, what's taken up my time since going over to Linux has been setting up a virtual Windows XP desktop for my MAXIS games ... I could have run them in Linux but in the end decided that I wanted all my SC3K and SC4 stuff in a WinXP environment.

2 minutes ago, catty-cb said:

I installed Linux a couple of weeks ago and Linux Mint 18 version that I went for, has so far proved the most problem free, and easiest install of any operating system I've ever done and that includes all the Window installs going back to Win95, what's taken up my time since going over to Linux has been setting up a virtual Windows XP desktop for my MAXIS games ... I could have run them in Linux but in the end decided that I wanted all my SC3K and SC4 stuff in a WinXP environment.

Fair enough, just that Linux doesn't justify my investment of time and tear in comparison to what I gain (if any) There are some people praising Linux desktop environment for software development but I am platform agnostic because mine is web related.

And as a control freak, I hate multitude of distro choices in Linux world. But I am all in for Debian in server :)