• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anselm_eickhoff

How I'm getting along

5 posts in this topic

Seems like a reasonable quantity of work is being done considering the conditions.  You like C++ better than Java Script.  This is not surprising.  What are you doing about staying portable between operating systems?

All the libraries I base my work on are already cross-platform (OpenGL, GLFW, ...). The most hairy thing I predict will be different video cards and their capabilities - I'm aiming for OpenGL 3.3 with minimal extensions there. The only other issue that I can foresee now is endianness for save game formats - but this is an old and solvable problem.

Glad to hear that.  If you stay with public domain stuff, the only thing necessary will be a platform compile using conditionals in the makefile.

I'm so happy for you! You have developed libraries in C++ for doing what you want for CityBound and seem to be thriving in the new programming language and environment. Keep up the great work!

I want to look at how you worked with JavaScript/ECMAScript before and what you were able to accomplish (not your code per sé because I'm making a game where the environment can be considered a 3D grid rendered in 2D and my game will be online, eventually with leaderboards, cloud snapshots (saves statistics and room placement only), and annoying social features I never considered before) for inspiration and realistic goals.

It is sort of a shame that I will have to bridge the gap between Dream Heights, Corporation Inc, and IsoTower if I am to carve out my own niche, instead of bridging the gap between Yoot Tower and LinCity because there are 5+ desktop games being developed and they look retro while doing things I want to do. This forces me to go with an online game that is either free or freemium that looks and feels unique. I would sure love advice regarding the use of ECMAScript and HTML5.

The answers to my questions are on the Internet:

JavaScript on the client side might as well be open source. (Good move on your part, switching to C++)

Multicore JavaScript requires a library.

Running the game on the server allows a range of devices to have similar experiences & performance and different clients could be developed to utilize different inputs (keyboard, mouse, touch screen) while protecting most of the code.

Edited by OcramsRzr

Correction & update