andreharv

Additional Public Transit

Public Transit Addendum  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

• Single Rail Tracks/Stations
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)

1,127 posts in this topic Last Reply

andreharv    1,058
  • Original Poster
  • @BadPeanut Nah.  Only underground paths are removed.  Even partially underground paths (one node in and one node out) will be saved.  For stations that do not apply (and do not have the station selection UI pop up) their paths will stay intact.  Good question.

@wasmic The metro will be more expensive than rail as it is more versatile (offering widespread above and underground stops).  In addition, at least in the US, metros/light rail are at least 2x more expensive than commuter rail as discussed HERE.  I'm not going to follow those same proportions as that would be rather silly in game.  A slider may be a bit much...unless there were sliders for the other transit types as well which would be another mod altogether.  

6 minutes ago, andreharv said:

@wasmic The metro will be more expensive than rail as it is more versatile (offering widespread above and underground stops).  In addition, at least in the US, metros/light rail are at least 2x more expensive than commuter rail as discussed HERE.  I'm not going to follow those same proportions as that would be rather silly in game.  A slider may be a bit much...unless there were sliders for the other transit types as well which would be another mod altogether.  

That article specifically stated that commuter rail is only that cheap because new commuter lines are usually opened along existing rights of way, where only stations have to be constructed since the tracks are already there. The article also makes a few pointless distinctions; for example, commuter rail is a subset of heavy rail, not an entirely different thing.

Ultimately, it also shows how metro that is constructed entirely underground is much more expensive than that which is constructed aboveground. Since the only difference between heavy rail metro and heavy mainline rail is usually the method of electrification and the signalling system used (both of which are a relatively small cost difference), the price of 1 mile of mainline heavy rail is the same as the price of 1 mile metro heavy rail. Yes, metro does have more frequent stations, but that should be reflected by making stations more expensive in game, not by making the tracks themselves more expensive - especially seeing as some European metros (London Underground, many S-Bahn systems) have very long stretches between stations in the outer areas, even reaching regional rail-like intervals.

I think making the original cost an option would be good. I'm currently making a city with unlimited money and cheats, but I am planning on making my next city legit. I am also currently not using the mod, but I really want to in my next city. I think having expensive metros is good. It makes them more rewarding and its extremely easy to earn lots of money in the game anyway, it needs to be harder.

The price reduction will be great for people who play without unlimited money!  I remember when I first started playing and CO added metro I wanted to use it so bad but just placing 2 station bankrupted me. Also so happy about the ped paths and station styles, I can't wait to check them out once I build a computer that actually has a GPU...

7 hours ago, Giveaway412 said:

Is there any way to disable the need for a Metro Depot? The Train and Monorail stations provide their own spawnpoints so I figure the Metro Stations should too.

that was a design choice by the authors to make it more realistic (trains don't magically appear out of thin air in reality)

21 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

I think all networks should have depots

Ummm... let me think about this for one second... 

...actually all could feature depots, but in some cases it would not be neccessary.

Thinking about national und international traffic it would not make much sense to be required to use some depot/hangar for your trains/ships/planes. Instead it should be an option. This option could create also some income instead of costs as the functionality would be kinda shared with oher cities. Atleast a depot like this should be cost free in the most simple case ;)

What I don't like is the way vehicles spawn at stations. I think outside connections should at least have the functionality of a depot meaning every train/ship/plane which should be used on any line should spawn on an outside connection if there is no depot available. The should not magically spawn out of nowhere at the stations to collect waiting passengers!

Another point to be adressed would be the spawning rate on outside connections as a vehicle spawns just if one cim is waiting. It's really stupid to see lare planes landing on airports with just one person inside. There should be a way to tell vehicles to wait till they are 75% full which would only be possible if despawn is turned off ofc.

So, in conclusion depots make sense for me - but not as an dependency besides purely regional networks ;)

1 hour ago, Delta2k5 said:

train/ship/plane which should be used on any line should spawn on an outside connection if there is no depot available. The should not magically spawn out of nowhere at the stations to collect waiting passengers!

I think in the case of trains this would only work as it does in game for the outside connection trains. any lines you actually place should require a depot, not spawn trains all the way from the borders.

I think any form of transport that uses lines created by the player should require a depot. Trams, Buses, trains, monorails, metros, ferries, 

it's odd because half of them do require depots (the non reversible vehicles - the ones that don't turn around on a line, they just go in a circle) and the ones that can reverse don't have them. This might be a limitation though of how the reversible vehicles work, maybe it was deemed too confusing for depots to be placed for lines that can reverse - look at the trouble some people have with the MOM depots - purely because they don't think about placing it properly..

I guess the differentation is made to allow outside trains to spawn without the need of a depot. If depots would be required for outside traffic, no outside traffic FROM the map to outside could happen beside with vehicles coming in from outside as long as there is no depot placed. Also it would be difficult to balance the depots. When you have a lot of incoming traafic your depot would boost over while beeing empty when people decides to leave your town.

All the traffic needing a depot is inside only traffic, fully controlled by the user.

22 minutes ago, Giveaway412 said:

To be honest my only real problem with the Metro Depot is that I personally think it looks kind of ugly. 

I'm sure the creator would disagree - but why don't you make your own? I'm pretty sure the original creator made it as a template. You should definitely make your own and enable us all some diversity! :)

andreharv    1,058
  • Original Poster
  • I'm pretty sure that is the first time I have ever, and may ever hear a depot being judged based on it's beauty...I mean it is a depot...which is pretty much summarized as a dirty sketchy industrial building used mainly for servicing/building dirty vehicles by day and comic book skirmishes by night.  But as @Bad Peanut has already mentioned, depots are just a type of building (like a train station or hospital) so people can choose to make newer sexier buildings that do the same kinda thing.  Otherwise depots are here to stay ;)

20 minutes ago, andreharv said:

people can choose to make newer sexier buildings that do the same kinda thing.  Otherwise depots are here to stay ;)

We can make our own MOM depots? Why didn't you say that sooner! :P

Truth is, while the default depot fits the Steel tracks and style, it doesn't really fit the modern style of the Concrete tracks. 

When I find time I will make a new depot :)

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

I'm sure the creator would disagree - but why don't you make your own? I'm pretty sure the original creator made it as a template. You should definitely make your own and enable us all some diversity! :)

I mean no insult to the creator. Don't get me wrong, the model and texture look extremely high quality- but to me, for some reason the depot just looks out of place compared to the other assets in the game. It seems like the textures are too high-res, and I feel like it resembles a warehouse more than a depot. Not to mention, I'm not a big fan of the appearance of red brick on it.It just seems to clash with the sleek and modern Concrete Tracks.

I suppose the same argument could be applied to the tram depot but I think that one seems more seamless, I'm not sure why.

48 minutes ago, Tim The Terrible said:

We can make our own MOM depots? Why didn't you say that sooner! :P

Truth is, while the default depot fits the Steel tracks and style, it doesn't really fit the modern style of the Concrete tracks. 

When I find time I will make a new depot :)

This is exactly what I was thinking! I eagerly await what you come up with!