Jump to content
andreharv

Additional Public Transit

Public Transit Addendum  

208 members have voted

  1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

    • Single Rail Tracks/Stations
      63
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
      45
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
      73
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)
      104


1,127 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, andreharv said:

Just an update on what I am working on now.  Underground platform stations are another option on the subway customization menu.  Ground and elevated island platform station tracks will be available to asset creators.  And of course single tracks.  Should I make a two way version?  People really seem to like the two way single rail track so...Anyway, just a 10 second teaser...Oh yeah and a few fixes from @BloodyPenguin and myself. Hope to get this out soon...stay tuned.

20170808192533_1.jpg

20170720024602_1.jpg

20170502080808_1.jpg

Can you PLEASE add those versions of middle platforms to ETST for normal rail too?

Also what width did you decide on for the platform?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't see a need for a two way one track metro, just seems like nonsense. at that point it's not even a metro system at that point

any chance the island platform can be wider? it looks so tiny...

if there is a way to make the wheels centered on the tracks properly both ways that'd be nice as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bonzibuddy said:

don't see a need for a two way one track metro, just seems like nonsense. at that point it's not even a metro system at that point

any chance the island platform can be wider? it looks so tiny...

if there is a way to make the wheels centered on the tracks properly both ways that'd be nice as well

But there's been a big call from some people why not include it? you don't have to use it. 

I would agree that 4m is a little thin for both tracks to be serviced from.  And from a technical view the pedestrian paths are 6m wide so it would be better to make it at least 6m wide.

And if you're talking about wheels on the metro cars i think it's up to the modder who creates the vehicle.  I'm sure there's some in the workshop that would suit you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only case I know of regarding single-track two-way metro, is the Central Line in London. It had a single-track stretch, although service was cut back, and that section is now unused. 

However, the MOM metro tracks can also be used to simulate 3rd-rail heavy rail lines, and single-track two-way can be used for that purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

And if you're talking about wheels on the metro cars i think it's up to the modder who creates the vehicle.  I'm sure there's some in the workshop that would suit you?

I downloaded a gazillion metro trains off the workshop and none of them align up reasonably on the tracks in both directions - do you recall any off the top of your head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wasmic said:

The only case I know of regarding single-track two-way metro, is the Central Line in London. It had a single-track stretch, although service was cut back, and that section is now unused. 

However, the MOM metro tracks can also be used to simulate 3rd-rail heavy rail lines, and single-track two-way can be used for that purpose. 

Can two way single tracks be used to create an express track? I can see that being very useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bonzibuddy said:

I downloaded a gazillion metro trains off the workshop and none of them align up reasonably on the tracks in both directions - do you recall any off the top of your head?

I can't because i don't see it as a big deal?? Honestly you can't even see them unless you're in first person

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NYC subway utilizes 2 way subway tracks for local and express lines.  These metro tracks would be very useful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, andreharv said:

I will increase the platform width to 6m.  Tram platform stations that will soon be featured in NEAT will be 4m.  Sound good?

Sounds good.  Although what is the configuration for the metro track? Is it like this:

[4m track][4m platform][4m platform][4m track]

Or do the two platforms in the center overlap you just be 4m in total width? 

If it's 2 4m platforms side by side with an overall platform width of 8m I'd leave it as it is. If it's over lapping i would definitely make it overall width of 6m at least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, andreharv said:

The ped paths will be 2x 3m ped paths.  I think I could make it 1x 6m if that works better...

Test out how it will work with pedestrian connections - see if cims can get into both sets of plstforms. Whichever configuration works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently checking this forum several times a day, hoping for news about APT, NExt or NEAT. It's probably not healthy, but I really want to see more pictures... even if it's just extra pictures of stuff we've already seen before.

On the other hand, it might not be a good idea to fuel my addiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wasmic said:

I'm currently checking this forum several times a day, hoping for news about APT, NExt or NEAT. It's probably not healthy, but I really want to see more pictures... even if it's just extra pictures of stuff we've already seen before.

On the other hand, it might not be a good idea to fuel my addiction.

I feel you. I feel you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't build any metro trains after the 1.8.0-f3 update. Loading Screen Mod is hinting at an asset name mismatch. This is happening with no mods or with mods (I use extended asset editor).

Is anyone else having this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jasonsmithgoat said:

I can't build any metro trains after the 1.8.0-f3 update. Loading Screen Mod is hinting at an asset name mismatch. This is happening with no mods or with mods (I use extended asset editor).

Is anyone else having this issue?

Doesn't this belong in another thread? If it happens even with all mods disabled, AndreHarv probably can't fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andreharv    1,058
  • Original Poster
  • Looks amazing!  Well I took the hint...One way two lane tracks coming up.  (Stations tracks are technically already two way in each lane so I may not need to alter those).  So keep it up.  I will work around you :ohyes:.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, andreharv said:

    Looks amazing!  Well I took the hint...One way two lane tracks coming up.  (Stations tracks are technically already two way in each lane so I may not need to alter those).  So keep it up.  I will work around you :ohyes:.

    A fix may be necessary for the station tracks, since this is how it looks currently with the train tracks:

    F0QCXFN.jpg

    However, this is purely visual. The trains are still able to run where the tracks are missing.

    xiLLpto.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    andreharv    1,058
  • Original Poster
  • Latest on the crazy stuff I have been cooking up.  May not seem like a big deal but it drove me half crazy figuring this out.  Anyway, from the underground metro station customization menu, you can now choose from side platform, island platform, or dual-single stations.  I will probably add a single-single option as well.  For this to work properly, I had to abandon the ped connection generator I had and create a new one.  This time, it removes almost all of the ped connections in the station and procedurally redraws them based on the location and direction of the existing (and generated) underground station tracks.  This will dramatically cut down on the number of incompatible or erroring metro stations.  In addition, (not tested) creating a metro station will be a lot easier with this mod installed. Just model your station, place a single ped connection leading cims into the entrance and then draw your tracks...the mod 'should' do the rest.  I will have to test this to make sure I'm not missing something.  Last but definitely not least, cims will now enter and exit station tracks using the stairs (rather than clipping through the wall).  

    I just have a few misc track junctions to model, revise some LODs, and we will be ready.  Stay tuned ;)

    *EDIT* Also, talked with @BloodyPenguin and we have decided to GREATLY reduce the cost of the metro.  It will still be more expensive than rail but now you probably won't need unlimited money anymore lol.  If you like the pricing of the metro or you like the challenge it brings, please petition here and I will add original pricing as an option.

    20170901014148_1.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Regarding the price of metro/rail:

    I think the price of at-grade metro and rail should be identical, since there really isn't that big of a difference between the two types. Similarly, elevated metro and rail should have roughly the same price, but be more expensive than at-grade, and underground rail/metro should be far more expensive than the two other options, with rail being a bit more expensive than metro due to the greater loading gauge.

    Maybe add a slider to the option menu, if that's possible?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    volume5_md.pngPlease help us reach our September Goal!

    Your contribution helps keep Simtropolis up and running!

    Please consider a donation today.

    We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

    Enjoy the site!

    OK - See STEX Collections