• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
andreharv

Additional Public Transit

Public Transit Addendum   200 members have voted

1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

• Single Rail Tracks/Stations
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,079 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2017 at 1:52 AM, Tim The Terrible said:

I'm not relying on it, I'm working on it myself :P @andreharv is a busy man which means I don't always know what to do.

I've had discussions with a bunch of people, American and European, whether the Expo Line vehicles are metro, light rail, or trams. The conclusion: everybody thingk something else, so I'll release them as everything to please everyone and use it in their favorite ways. Final exams first thought... 

Why not all three?

Given the length of the vehicles and the fact that they cross roads in level crossings, it's clear that it's a type of light rail. The individual cars are relatively short, allowing a tight turning radius, and therefore they're also trams. Finally, they run primarily in their own right of way, in an urban setting at a rapid schedule, meaning that it's also metro.

2 hours ago, wasmic said:

Why not all three?

Given the length of the vehicles and the fact that they cross roads in level crossings, it's clear that it's a type of light rail. The individual cars are relatively short, allowing a tight turning radius, and therefore they're also trams. Finally, they run primarily in their own right of way, in an urban setting at a rapid schedule, meaning that it's also metro.

So light rail indeed combines metro elements with tram elements.

I think it's time to track some bugs down right after the latest patch :)

There seems to be some issue with flattened / lowered terrain and the mom tracks. I lowered and flattened the terrain using BPs Extra Landscaping Tools - As I dragged a portion of MOM track (concrete) down and reloaded the city, areas around those tracks were kinda messed up (higher and lower parts of soil) - I guess it reverted to the initial height before modifying the terrain. Maybe you could have a look :)

Here are some before and after screenshots:

NIDkbgk.jpg

4jpafaq.jpg

mrsmartman likes this

This glitch was already there before the update. It seems to appear outside the basic 25 tiles.

@lgorp333 for the base game, one way railway tracks have been released. for the metro overhaul mod, they have not been developed yet.

2 hours ago, j4lambert said:

@lgorp333 for the base game, one way railway tracks have been released. for the metro overhaul mod, they have not been developed yet.

Yes, yes, I know, I've asked about MOM one-way tracks. Maybe @andreharv and @Tim The Terrible have some news for the community...

In @andreharv's absence I uploaded a patch for this mod in my workshop (requires original version): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943702935
Please, read description carefully!

On 6/1/2017 at 1:09 PM, Bad Peanut said:

I think it's the end of semester/exam time

Doesn't look like that to me. He has a full time software engineering job AFAIK.

Turjan likes this

4 hours ago, bonzibuddy said:

Why not fork the entire project? It's messy with a 2nd mod being a patch

because there are clearly hopes that the original mod will be updated at some point

Hey @BloodyPenguin did your patch fix these issues (not sure if you knew about them/can fix them in a patch)

On 2017-4-4 at 3:03 PM, Bad Peanut said:

hey @andreharv you know when placing assets that have vanilla underground metro stations and MOM allows us to change the height/length of that station track, why does it affect "harbor road" net segments as well? Is there a way to exclude this particular road network from having its height changed?

On 2017-4-27 at 6:55 PM, Bad Peanut said:

@andreharv @BloodyPenguin
A bug for any ground station track:
5Zn8OQB.jpg

there doesn't seem to be any difference between ground station tracks and sunken station tracks. they both clip terrain if they sink below ground. Above is a picture with ground station track closest to camera, which instead of sculpting the terrain, it just clips right through. Compared to normal ground track behind that which sculpts the terrain as it goes up the slope.
Ground station tracks need to follow the same rules as ground train station track otherwise it's impossible to convert them (like this station: Bouteillier Station which uses normal train station tracks, not the sunken variation from ETST)

hope you guys can fix this :)

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, Bad Peanut said:

because there are clearly hopes that the original mod will be updated at some point

i don't know man, that seems highly unlikely.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:56 AM, rovapasi1 said:

There is an issue with TLM and IPT2.

I installed TLM AFTER creating my MOM and train lines. So the depots where already assigned with IPT2. Everything works fine.

Now I was trying to create a new tram line and got a "depot not found" error in IPT even the depot was next to the starting point of the line. To further investigate I even build a test line with only vanilla components and to stops on a shoprt street part with only a depot connect but still "No Depot" in IPT2 and no chance to choose a vehicle..

After turning of TLM I suddenly could select the depots again (the same, that was not there with TLM) and everything works like a charm.

I've not tested so far if the lines continue to work if I turn on TLM again, but will do later.

So as the issue within IPT2 disappears when unsubscribing TLM it should be something that messes up when both mods are used.

I have reported the issue as well on the IPT2 WS page.

12 hours ago, bonzibuddy said:

i don't know man, that seems highly unlikely.

The update to the mod is likely.

So does that mean work on one way metro tracks will begin this summer?? 

2 hours ago, jstatha said:

So does that mean work on one way metro tracks will begin this summer?? 

IIRC, there's already been done some work on them. andreharv just didn't get them finished before real life happened, so they've been delayed for quite some time, which is understandable. 

Now that means island platformed metro stations may be coming. Also, when will the patch cease to be a requirement?!

17 hours ago, j4lambert said:

Now that means island platformed metro stations may be coming. Also, when will the patch cease to be a requirement?!

Well, andreharv said that he could start working on this again after 7/8 (or 8/7, depending on where you live - andreharv didn't specify the format). We don't know if he'll integrate the patch before or after that date, though. That depends on whether he has time for it or not. Since he hasn't given any updates, I'd assume that we'll have to wait a bit before the next update.

On 7/2/2017 at 1:46 PM, wasmic said:

Well, andreharv said that he could start working on this again after 7/8 (or 8/7, depending on where you live - andreharv didn't specify the format). We don't know if he'll integrate the patch before or after that date, though. That depends on whether he has time for it or not. Since he hasn't given any updates, I'd assume that we'll have to wait a bit before the next update.

July 8.

Is there a MOM train that has perfectly aligned wheels with the tracks in both directions? I don't think there's any MOM train out there where the wheels perfectly are on top of the rails going in both directions. Can the tracks be fixed as well?

There is nothing wrong with the tracks.  The issue is that the original train tracks are thicker to make up for the wheels

Do you have any sizing guidelines on the alignment of the wheels? It's so frustrating to have it be OK in one direction and not the other, or the wheels being slightly off on both tracks. I'll upload some pics later tonight so you can see it as well. Do you know of any MOM trains that have perfect wheel alignment with the tracks?

In case you mean the vertical offset:

That's because the base of the wheel meets the base of the track. But with the rails in real life being 0.17 m tall, the wheels clip through the rails. In Blender it shows to be 0.35 m, but I don't know if the authors have applied any scaling to it, or the fact that the whole game is scaled 60% (I read that somewhere..)

In case you mean any horizontal offset:

Could be that the tracks are not centered correctly, but as @andreharv said, MOM used to have the vanilla rail mesh, so older metro's might have been made to fit those.

I was told that the vertical offset can be fixed by lowering the pivot point - is that true? Is that something that can be done in Sketchup or do I need to use 3ds max?

In terms of the horizontal offset here are some examples of a dummy model I am running on MOM

http://i.imgur.com/wmqSBnm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lcdnAdW.jpg

Any guidelines on fixing the wheels? I am using Sketchup for this model and I'm using scale 27. It's off by a little bit but if I adjust only one side it centers the entire asset so it gets thrown off even more. Should I make the wheels much bigger to compensate?