• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

357 posts in this topic

Oh. My. Word.

He's Back!!! I mean, it's not SC4 or the 3RR, but you're back!

And full of amazing rural activity. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the game, and following development. This should be good.8)

Trylk255 and dedgren like this

I'm not a fan of the low poly, exactly the same trees, but that'll improve over time.....

Great to see you back and posting and am looking forward to seeing where you go with this, as for trees its worth checking out Mr_Maison C:S files

http://community.simtropolis.com/profile/11505-mr_maison/content/?type=downloads_file

as hes' been mainly concentrating on trees, I wish I could play Cities: Skylines my computer can start it up and I can play with the basics, etc but anything more that is to much for my computer, I must tell Jmouse know you are back and posting she will be really pleased to hear it, we have both sort of moved on from SC4 Devotion and can be found most days over at CB and are mainly into playing Banished these days (I'm still with the RTMT Team so still play a bit of SC4 but more for testing purposes than anything).

Its really good to see you back  :)

-catty (I used to have a bee avatar)

dedgren and Mr_Maison like this

Nice to see you back with a CJ, I must say your comments about CS totally resonate with how I feel about many of the tools right now. Congratulations on finishing the map, I simply feel lost without some kind of reference point (grid) and also find the current tools clumsy, therefore I simply never made it far enough to get results I was satisfied with.

Despite it's flaws though, you've done a tremendous job here of making something that really looks great, I love the switchbacks on the road in the last picture.

Personally I'm only 2 years into my SC4 adventure so I'm happy to wait on the sidelines with CS after an initial binge upon its release. Nonetheless I look forward to seeing what you come up with here. You've quite the reputation around these parts, so I'm sure whatever you do will provide some inspiration and perhaps even give me the itch to boot CS up again.

dedgren likes this

If you want a grid, look at one of the ImageOverlay mods. Those are not perfect because the overlay is a flat layer that you can move up or down, but still useful, especially for real world maps. I prefer this one.

You can just create your own overlay.png with a grid on it. The full 81 tile map has a size of 18432x18432m.

I also suggest you to get the Precision Engineering mod, which is the best tool to measure distances and height differences. In the map editor you can just right click with the level tool to get the elevation in meters.

For realistic roads, I suggest you to get one of the slope limiter mods and the fine road heights mod.

Mr_Maison, dedgren and APSMS like this

boformer, excellent suggestions.  Just like when I was learning about things in SC4, I know that there are many times solutions to things I can't puzzle out on my own.

I have the Image overlay mod installed.  It's very helpful on the plains, but a 3-D mesh style grid would be the bee's knees.  I knew each gamesquare was about two kilometres across, but they never show up any more, perhaps because I have used a mod to unlock the entire map.

I will play around with the PE mod.  It looks like a good start.  I would hope that the modder who created the in-game terraforming tools would be able to add the "right-click" functionality in an update.

i found the fine road heights mod the other day and then lost it.  You've now found it for me again and are a prince for doing so.  Slope limiter mod... Looking, looking....

Thanks again!

boformer likes this

I am here for this! Congrats on an excellent comeback David, and I hope it continues for a long time to come :D I agree that the game isn't nearly as well polished/etc as SC4 has become over the years it's been going, and maybe I don't hold out as much hope as others on its chances given the fast-pace of games development and hardware cycles and junk, but I am willing to hope that things will get good sooner rather than later. You being here and doing that is a huge help in that direction! :D 

(oh and you might want to change your signature over here XD)

dedgren likes this

David?! Back at work?!! This is really cool! Although I have to say I'm not a fan of SCK, at all, but it's great to see you're still doing some landscaping around, David. :)

I'll be sure to follow this.. as a fan of 3RR, 2RR can only be as good!

dedgren likes this

RSsAn9.png

Ready to hit the road for a five day trip to Kennicott Glacier Lodge for some Alaska leaf peeping.  Thought I'd leave you with a teaser, like at some other CJ I recall.  It's pretty lo-fi, but my video capture program is on my trusty laptop and Cities: Skylines is on my desktop.  So until I get that figured out...

oOUrHA.gif

That wind is really blowing, eh?

Two words: plop rocks.

Se you next time.

RdMcbr.png

A couple of shots of Twin Rivers Region highway infrastructure today, as I'm back from a week out in Alaska's boonies.

hgB9zK.png

The drive home yesterday from Kennicott Glacier Lodge, about 200 miles/320 kilometers from my home, was jawdroppingly gorgeous.  Even with a light rain, the fall colors were incandescent.

MbwrZd.png

We never got a "trumpet" puzzlepiece interchange in SC4's NAM.  You can do one there now with the latest versions, but I remember years of longing for one of these before those versions came along.

I think the "cut and bridge" freeway overpass style in C:S is far more realistic than approach ramps on pylons/columns.  It would be nice to have some concrete slab props to use as bridge abutments.  I would hope that CO/the modding community gives us proper merge lanes for non-urban ramps ASAP,  Three freeway lane striping should also be continuous where a ramp merges/diverges.  And, please, lose the directional arrows.  Pretty please?

Yi0QAD.png

All in all, though, this is pretty cool to be able to create in about 10 minutes or so.

ljOOKY.png

This was really early on in my construction of the Cliffside Freeway.  There's very little fine terraforming except for the canyon with the cascade in it.

C4B7kA.png

I continue to marvel at how right the developers got the flowing water.  Just add some ploppables and this is better than anything realizable in SC4 in terms of creating a realistic chasm.  I would like some abutments for these bridges as well, but you can't have everything, I guess.

ripDCa.png

There needs to be a tool to "clamp" the highways and roads to absolute smoothness.  I've started a list of that kind of stuff, and that may be the subject of the next update. 

Have a great weekend!

David

Edited by dedgren
nos.17, Mr_Maison, Rayden and 3 others like this

Earlier today ... I came, I saw, I liked  :)

Back now and that RL picture is stunning, here we are just heading into spring and awaiting the arrival of the first godwits from Alaska, I look forward to your next update and agree with your comments re the things that need tweaking

dedgren likes this

Very nice start. Good to see you here David! Every time I see another SC4 veteran join in C:S, it gives me more hope for the game's development. I hope you picked up the first person camera mod by nlight so you can take rides through that landscape.

In case you're wondering, there's a texture replacement mod if you ever want to change the ground and rocks. I never used it but plan to soon to make winter maps....we still need better solutions in that department so far. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416966387&searchtext=texture+replacer

I feel you on the ploppable rocks thing. Some other builders and I been requesting a way to make static ploppable objects so we can make things like dead trunks laying around, boulders and rocks, etc. and things we can use as fillers. So far the closest we have is creating a "park" and tweaking the values. There are trees and grass that do not get ruined by water in the workshop. Maybe some of those will be of some use for now. Check this video out....Atys is one my favorite players to watch on Youtube as he uses a lot of trees and bushes to decorate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yETvWC79c&index=12&list=PLPPg02ZxWNiCsLgcLRAxNbsDQuInQn6Ia

I will be watching this CJ.

Edited by Mr_Maison
catty-cb and dedgren like this

...Check this video out....Atys is one my favorite players to watch on Youtube as he uses a lot of trees and bushes to decorate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yETvWC79c&index=12&list=PLPPg02ZxWNiCsLgcLRAxNbsDQuInQn6Ia

I did and I liked  :)

Not sure about the flowers tho a bit too bright and strange looking, but otherwise I can see why you recommended it

dedgren and Mr_Maison like this

...Check this video out....Atys is one my favorite players to watch on Youtube as he uses a lot of trees and bushes to decorate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yETvWC79c&index=12&list=PLPPg02ZxWNiCsLgcLRAxNbsDQuInQn6Ia

I did and I liked  :)

Not sure about the flowers tho a bit too bright and strange looking, but otherwise I can see why you recommended it

I know what you mean. Not all veggies on workshop are to my taste either. But I enjoy seeing people push for intentional aesthetic beauty and design when building a city and not just skyscraper forests. And I can feel the intent with this CJ...........

dedgren likes this

There needs to be a tool to "clamp" the highways and roads to absolute smoothness.  I've started a list of that kind of stuff, and that may be the subject of the next update. 

Have a great weekend!

David

A combination of fine road height mod and precision engineering does the trick:

• First decrease the road height step size to 1m (CTRL - DOWN).
  • Now draw the bridges (PAGE UP / DOWN to change elevation of nodes).
  • Use Precision Engineering's "extra info mode" (press SHIFT while building road) to see the elevation and other useful information.
  • Never build segments which are longer than 12 units.

Extra trick: You can force the bridge mode (useful for the bottom road in your last image) by pressing CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT multiple times.
You can also force ground mode with the same command (useful for eleveated and sunken roads - no tunnels will spawn).

I hope that modders will create better tools for this soon...
I experimented with a "road smoother mod" a while ago. But right now I don't have the time to release it.

gfvsims and dedgren like this

cqOlQs.png

Hi again- sorry it took so long to get back.  A life full of RL last week.  My wife Heather's in the hospital, so you know how that goes.  Today, then, is just some eye candy.  Here's some shots of what I believe are two of the strongest points of Cities: Skylines: road construction that is (almost) infinitely flexible and the game's amazing flowing water.

But is wouldn't be fall without the obligatory Alaska Foliage shot.  This is along the Glenn Highway about 30 miles/50 kilometers from home.

DXif8y.png

Seasonal trees for C:S?  Well, it was a dream in SC4 for five or six years.

I'm getting better and better (IMHO, YMMV) at making smaller and smaller width streams.  The in-game terraforming mod I like the best so far is BloodyPenguin's In-game Natural Resources Tool (+ Tree Brush & Pencil + Water Tool + Terrain Tool) [linkie].

ZrPeXm.png

JgprZ9.png

The in-game ability to place water sources is a little tough to fine tune, but I bet that improvements will be forthcoming.

JV6qbv.png

Rocks, boulders and flora that can be plopped in water, please?  Pretty please, even.

FDiFfY.png

I also seem to be getting the hang of building smooth highways.  I can't wait for alternative bridges.

78vL8d.png

But for now this'll have to do.  I'm not complaining.

Later.

David

Edited by dedgren

Fixed malformed link
Mr_Maison, catty-cb and boformer like this

Hope she feeling better soon

I like what you are doing with those smaller streams they have the potential to be really spectacular if you can ever get the right type of ploppables and maybe with some tweaks to the water as well as its flowing really smoothly which would look ok on level ground, but on a hillside just isn't quite right ... still I suppose there is a limit to what's possible as for seasonal trees I'm used to playing Banished where that is the normal, you do have some seasonal trees available in C:S, obviously MrMaison trees, but you also Shroomblaze fall colored trees on pg 30 and pg31 here

https://steamcommunity.com/id/shroomblaze/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710&p=30

dedgren likes this

Orange and red trees actually grow near industrial districts and shorelines, so there has to be a way to apply it to all trees.

Maybe CO will add seasons in the future, who knows.

I know that there is the More Beautification mod that allows you to place props ingame. Does that not work on water?

dedgren likes this

Orange and red trees actually grow near industrial districts and shorelines, so there has to be a way to apply it to all trees.

Maybe CO will add seasons in the future, who knows.

I know that there is the More Beautification mod that allows you to place props ingame. Does that not work on water?

If you mean this one

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505480567

he says he's removed the "Terran Tool and Water Tool functionality"  :(

dedgren likes this

Many of us are screaming for new bridges or at least the capability to make our own. I saw Atys placing boulders in his last video. I'll see if I can find out where he got them.

I hope your wife feels better too. I'm my wife's caretaker and had many hospital seasons so I definitely know how it is.

Edited by Mr_Maison
dedgren likes this

If you mean this one

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505480567

he says he's removed the "Terran Tool and Water Tool functionality"  :(

That's right. But with that mod you can place props ingame, e.g. rocks, road arrows, street lights etc.

I just don't know if you can place rocks in the water. If that is not possible, you could reset the water to sea level, pause the game, place the props in the riverbed and then wait until the water is back. I also don't know if props collide with the water.

dedgren, Mr_Maison and catty-cb like this

smPg4n.png

So, our friend boformer nailed it.

I just don't know if you can place rocks in the water. If that is not possible, you could reset the water to sea level, pause the game, place the props in the riverbed and then wait until the water is back. I also don't know if props collide with the water.

Check this out.  These are Tero's FTP_Boulder_1 and FTP_Boulder_2

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=506027665

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=506027443

plopped in the game in a dry streambed using one of the "make props ploppable" mods after I followed boformer's suggestion and reset water to sea level.

c2MLWS.png

Then I waited for the water.

Here it comes...

Dvwehh.png

And (thanks boformer!!) here's our streambed rocks.

rwXhV6.png

A few more shots

qduesJ.png

Some larger boulders would really be great.

KPOCQ8.png

It takes a while for the flow to even up, but you will be amazed at the difference a few plop rocks will make here and there.  Happy plopping!

David

Edited by dedgren

Fix bad ImageShack link
Quinto, catty-cb, boformer and 2 others like this

That looks really great, still not quite there re realism but you

but you will be amazed at the difference a few plop rocks will make here and there

are right it makes a big difference  :]

dedgren likes this