• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Darf

Darfs buildings | New releases

409 posts in this topic

Wow.. truly fantastic! I love it.. and thanks for the work!:]

Probably tonight, need to do LoD, lights and alpha map.

1 person likes this

Very nice. Is it based on anything? It looks like it will fit in very well with my SoCal-inspired Oldtown district. I think it's the bay windows that give it that feel, at least for me. I love bay windows on old buildings like this. I'd love to see more of them.

Oh nice. I must have missed where you said it was from Chicago.

I love a lot of Chicago architecture, especially the more 'mundane' stuff like this. There's another building somewhat similar to it I'd love to see you tackle. It's right down the street on the next block at State and Washington. Another great corner building. It seems to be called the Burnham Building, or maybe the Burnham Hotel.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@41.8832434,-87.6278422,3a,75y,231.99h,119.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snTwQwaWgIqY8UTZfE16j4w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Huh. I actually have that, but I didn't realize it was that building, but now that I look at it, I suppose it is.

I like it, but I definitely agree you could do it better. Your stuff kills. You and Avanya are hall-of-fame level in my book.

That looks great! Do you take requests? If you do, I'd love it if you made an alternate colored texture with the same color scheme as The Long Building from SimCity 4.

@Darf Just how..... teach me master! I need this style of brick for my Delft Station, it's been WIP for a year now because I don't know how to make it look as fine as this! What are your secrets! 

1 person likes this

This looks great, though I can't imagine it would fit in very well in my Southern California city.

Also, I'm getting a thing where when I tried to like your post, it told me I can't give reputation to this user. Anyone know what that's about?

*drool*

That beign said, I thought baking is not working on overlapped textures ? 

Oh it doesn't, I have to drag those 12k faces to their place unfortunately, I meant the building is just to gorgeous and detailed to do a half ass job of it. :rofl:

8 hours ago, OcramsRzr said:

That looks great! Do you take requests? If you do, I'd love it if you made an alternate colored texture with the same color scheme as The Long Building from SimCity 4.

This will have these copper ornaments on the top, the color scheme is more or less the same, although the long building has more of a brownish kind of brick. The Long building has the reversed shape of the Manhasset though. I will change some things about that building aswell, mainly the roof texture, so it might be a better idea to do a recolor of that building?

08562f55b140dd7095a169840d3a0c84.jpg 9Vms8s1.png

8 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

@Darf Just how..... teach me master! I need this style of brick for my Delft Station, it's been WIP for a year now because I don't know how to make it look as fine as this! What are your secrets! 

Detailed photo's, mainly photoshop magic,  and just shitloads of time spend texturing. The gate took me the better part of 2 hours last night. Most of the station wouldn't be too hard to do, but certain ornaments above the entrance are quite hard and I don't see any detailed photo's of them, unless you have to take some yourself?

3 hours ago, Matthias King said:

This looks great, though I can't imagine it would fit in very well in my Southern California city.

Also, I'm getting a thing where when I tried to like your post, it told me I can't give reputation to this user. Anyone know what that's about?

Yeah agree, this flamboyant you'll only find these kind of buildings in three places on the east coast, mainly NY, philadelphia and providence. LA and SF have more of the standard beaux arts type of building style. No idea what the rep thing is about? Maybe you have given me too much already? :P

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Darf said:

Detailed photo's, mainly photoshop magic,  and just shitloads of time spend texturing. The gate took me the better part of 2 hours last night. Most of the station wouldn't be too hard to do, but certain ornaments above the entrance are quite hard and I don't see any detailed photo's of them, unless you have to take some yourself?

I live nearby so I can take photo's myself, but the building is in a shit state at the moment. I also can't get very close because of the construction site.

So are you implying I should take many photo's and use them on my texture? 

Well you need a clear picture of the all the detailwork, there's one streetview picture of the station: https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.0068289,4.35678,3a,63.6y,267.54h,92.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFNbT-ICqhq1nOeQXN29riA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You could probably get most of the left and right wing details from taking screenshots. Mainbuilding will be hard without a clear picture of it. To avoid colordifferences and different lighting you will have to manually adjust a lot in photoshop. I basicly take one good picture without any highlights and adjust everything to those texturelements. With this ofcourse, I do have the luck it's a very well known building and there's some good projected pictures of it:

http://www.textures.com/download/buildingsornate0126/69975

Not fair! :P 

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I will probably start over because I didn't take it serious back then (Model has no exact dimensions). The new model should correspond with the pictures I'm going to take of it when the renovation is done and the weather/lighting is right, to avoid stretched/distorted textures.

Would be cool to have more New York skyscrapers in this game. Carnegie Hall, One Worldwide Plaza, Chanin Building, 70 Pine Street, Metropolitan Life Tower, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, Woolworth Building, Waldorf Astoria, among many others that represent so well New York, a shame nobody cared to build them yet =/

1 person likes this

Agree, would love to see DLC packs with Cities of the World/ World Skylines that featured a collection of major world cities and their landmarks- NYC, London, Paris, Shanghi etc. along side generic buildings that reflect the architectural style of each city.  This type of focused development would be a real winner with the fanbase and in my opinion would be of far greater use than panda zoo's sparkly unicorn parks and other irrelevant nonsense.