• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
GC_Vos

Network Extensions Project

652 posts in this topic

That's good then. At least they know what will change. There are some games I've seen where modders had to completely rewrite their mod because a patch came out that wiped out entire sections of code and the devs didn't say anything even though they claimed to "support their modding community". I know they don't have to say anything, but still. I think CO understands that CS wouldn't be as successful as it is, if not for a lot of the mods and assets the community has created.

I wish they would add some of them to the core game though.

gfvsims and Avanya like this

Hi there, thx for all of the work that you've put into this mod, it's awesome.

I was wondering if you could put light slots on both sides of all of the small heavy and larger roads, even if one side is "none", which would enable us to choose which side we want the street lights. I've run into this situation:

20170305094610_1.thumb.jpg.31e2ec5c9fc85a4f28bd5f2005a110b0.jpg

I would like to use 2x 4-lane one-way as my main boulevard, but I would like the lights to be on the outside, rather than the inside.

Is this possible, or is there a way to hack it?

Thx in advance :)

I'm stupid, nevermind. I forgot that I could do "none" and plop the lights myself. I just woke up and the coffee isn't in the bloodstream yet.

ffstg24 likes this

On 3/3/2017 at 1:53 PM, Bad Peanut said:

one is from NExt and one is from After Dark - the after dark doesn't need any mods to work, it gives priority to buses, emergency vehicles and taxis.

THANKS!  The one I'm having the most fun with is the basic 2-way version, super useful.  The red reminds me of bike paths in Copenhagen.

Is it possible to remove those cosmetic crosswalks when merging two different types of road? For example connecting the recent 2x3 or 2x4 avenues with vanilla 2x2 avenues creates crosswalks, which looks bad and unrealistic.

I am literally going to dedicate an update to revisiting certain junctions.  Unfortunately this game is limited in the variations that can be made to nodes.  In other words, I could remove crosswalks from transitions but since those are nodes, it would likely remove crosswalks from all junctions.  Nonetheless, I promise to revisit this.

MarioBro14, Avanya and pauliaxz like this

A few weeks ago, you said that somewhere in the distant future, NExt would include additional tram roads. This got me curious - what kind of tram roads do you have planned? Are standalone tram tracks (without pedestrian sidewalk) among them? Have you even decided on anything yet, or is it still up in the air?

Up in the air.  I gonna do whatever you want :) (within reason of course)

Well, in my eyes, there are a few things that could be really useful in many circumstances, and then a few more things that are more niche, but could still be nice to have.

The ones that would probably give most utility to the trams would be underground tram station track and elevated tram station track. These would allow players to create proper underground tram line sections (like on Stadtbahn or Premetro systems, or the MBTA Green Line) and elevated tram stretches. After these, a proper standalone tram track would also be nice - it could pretty much just be the MOM metro track, but with a catenary and accepting trams instead of metro. Actually, I think the MOM metro track would fit this purpose perfectly (visually, at least).

Others that are more niche, but would still be nice to have, would be additional tram road combinations (such as bidirectional road that only has tram tracks in one direction, for use in turning loops where traffic must still be able to go both ways around), and perhaps a new style of tram boulevard, where side platforms in the middle of the street are used instead of island platforms, and where the trams are physically separated from the other lanes by a small curb.

mikamaty likes this

31 minutes ago, wasmic said:

After these, a proper standalone tram track would also be nice - it could pretty much just be the MOM metro track, but with a catenary and accepting trams instead of metro. Actually, I think the MOM metro track would fit this purpose perfectly (visually, at least).

Catenary is planned for MOM.

OK guys honesty time.  Good news and (kinda) bad news.  Which do you want first?  Bad news? OK!   

Bad News:evil:: I thought about it and tram roads simply do not belong in this mod.  There is already too much stuff planned for roads and so I am going to draw the line at motor vehicle networks (cars/buses).  I know most of the tram roads overlap with motor vehicle traffic but some that should be made don't.  This in conjunction with the fact that tram roads/rails will only be used by AD people is enough for me to decide not to include them in this already gargantuan mod.  

Good News0:): New tram roads will still be made (in a separate mod). @Tim The Terrible and I already plan on doing a ROM (Rail Overhaul Mod or... something) so a TOM would only be natural.  This doesn't diminish my desire to add new tram roads/tracks as CO left much to be desired with Tram.  Like the metro,  I see lack of content as an excuse to make new stuff lol. 

Once I have enough to actually show, I will transfer the tram road discussion to the Additional Public Transit thread.  More than likely these tram roads will largely be new prefabs based on existing roads 'tramified' where new roads are created here and their 'tramified' counterparts exist in the new mod.  This will obviously introduce dependency on the NExt but it should all be intuitive.  

See that wasn't so bad, was it?:whatevs:

Delta2k5, mikamaty, Dezelles and 1 other like this

okay... what about more cycle infrastructure? I absolutly love to see my cycle network getting used. If it's possible a three tiles wide street with only one carline, one line for parking and one extra wide line for cycling would be awesome. like this:strret.jpg.6106d5c4603b9d4556bee0675e2a017f.jpg

3 hours ago, pauliaxz said:

Is it possible to remove those cosmetic crosswalks when merging two different types of road? For example connecting the recent 2x3 or 2x4 avenues with vanilla 2x2 avenues creates crosswalks, which looks bad and unrealistic.

I'd love to see an option to remove all crosswalks. At least the visible aspect of them....

Matthias King and Bipin like this

Now that people are going wild over street types, I think I'll just link this thing:

http://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/streets/

It's got a lot of nice concepts. Not all of them would be possible to implement in C:S without quite a bit of coding (at least from my limited knowledge of how the roads work), but it's a good source of inspiration.

@andreharv & @Tim The Terrible :

Ohh, that sounds amazing.

schokoladeneis 1 likes this

1 hour ago, wasmic said:

Now that people are going wild over street types, I think I'll just link this thing:

http://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/streets/

It's got a lot of nice concepts. Not all of them would be possible to implement in C:S without quite a bit of coding (at least from my limited knowledge of how the roads work), but it's a good source of inspiration.

@andreharv & @Tim The Terrible :

Ohh, that sounds amazing.

That's a nice street design guide. Is the nacto a goverment organisation?

6 hours ago, andreharv said:

OK guys honesty time.  Good news and (kinda) bad news.  Which do you want first?  Bad news? OK!   

Bad News:evil:: I thought about it and tram roads simply do not belong in this mod.  There is already too much stuff planned for roads and so I am going to draw the line at motor vehicle networks (cars/buses).  I know most of the tram roads overlap with motor vehicle traffic but some that should be made don't.  This in conjunction with the fact that tram roads/rails will only be used by AD people is enough for me to decide not to include them in this already gargantuan mod.  

Good News0:): New tram roads will still be made (in a separate mod). @Tim The Terrible and I already plan on doing a ROM (Rail Overhaul Mod or... something) so a TOM would only be natural.  This doesn't diminish my desire to add new tram roads/tracks as CO left much to be desired with Tram.  Like the metro,  I see lack of content as an excuse to make new stuff lol. 

Once I have enough to actually show, I will transfer the tram road discussion to the Additional Public Transit thread.  More than likely these tram roads will largely be new prefabs based on existing roads 'tramified' where new roads are created here and their 'tramified' counterparts exist in the new mod.  This will obviously introduce dependency on the NExt but it should all be intuitive.  

See that wasn't so bad, was it?:whatevs:

I think one part of why trams are relatively unpopular is because the lack of good infrastructure. We have only 3 options (plus 2 one-ways) and it's a shame. IRL tram-LRT network is much more flexible than any other rail networks, but this is something opposite in C:SL. I suppose the Tram Overhaul Mod would greatly improve the popularity of trams if was made well. Would you like to start a new thread where people could leave their proposals?

So guys. I don't know if this is a result of some optimisation work (though I've noticed some other mods like the loading screen mod has updated) but the game loaded within two minutes for me today. Given how it used to take 40+ mins to get into a save, this is an outstanding improvement specially if it is consistent.

On a side note, does anyone have any texture replacement or road colour changer mods that work for the entire set of custom roads? One I was using hasn't been updated to cover the newer roads, and apparently the new road color change mod will no longer be updated.

andreharv likes this

3 hours ago, andreharv said:

@mikamaty I just realized something.  More and more people are requesting bike, bus, and tram roads nowadays so I might package them all together as some kind of EP Network Extension Pack or something.

that would make sense! :)

MarioBro14 and mikamaty like this

It would probably be a good idea to split them out. Network Extensions already has so many categories that I can't even access all of them in the Options panel. I can't activate/deactivate any of the buslane roads, nor any of the pedestrian roads.

One short question: Given that National Road, Two- and Four-Lane-Highways and probably something else I forgot will move to the base game, can anyone already tell me whether I have to do something to keep cities compatible with the next game update?

7 hours ago, Turjan said:

One short question: Given that National Road, Two- and Four-Lane-Highways and probably something else I forgot will move to the base game, can anyone already tell me whether I have to do something to keep cities compatible with the next game update?

NExt roads are NExt roads, vanilla roads are vanilla roads. There is nothing you can do.

Turjan likes this