• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
GC_Vos

Network Extensions Project

652 posts in this topic

Nope, havent subbed to that for some time now. I haven't changed any mods/assets during the last week or so. I see a few people on the workshop page have the same issue as me, while others got it working through your updates/advice, so it's a bit strange! 

I've had this in the past. There is a (small) chance the loading will continue after a while, all you have to do is not touch anything. It might take up to 5 minutes. NExT is quite heavy on the loading.

I haven't noticed it not loading my map but I did notice an incredibly long load time. It took 50 minutes to load my city. I'm not sure if this is down to this mod or something else. I am relatively mod and asset heavy so I don't expect instant loading times anyway.

3 minutes ago, hbn said:

I haven't noticed it not loading my map but I did notice an incredibly long load time. It took 50 minutes to load my city. I'm not sure if this is down to this mod or something else. I am relatively mod and asset heavy so I don't expect instant loading times anyway.

That's definitely not this mod. I have this mod and many others, and I load in 5 minutes. Are you using the Loading Screen Mod? It makes loading a game much, much faster.

1 hour ago, hbn said:

I've noticed the same: normally it takes about 3 minutes to load my city, but yesterday it was well over 10 minutes - more than three quarters of that time is consumed by RenderManager.UpdateData process (the game became unresponsive, but allowing it to continue eventually got it through).
The only other mod that was updated yesterday was Remove need for pipes, but disabling that one didn't make any difference - so I suspect NExt2 is indeed the culprit...

3 hours ago, Judazzz said:

I've noticed the same: normally it takes about 3 minutes to load my city, but yesterday it was well over 10 minutes - more than three quarters of that time is consumed by RenderManager.UpdateData process (the game became unresponsive, but allowing it to continue eventually got it through).
The only other mod that was updated yesterday was Remove need for pipes, but disabling that one didn't make any difference - so I suspect NExt2 is indeed the culprit...

While i've gotten it to work again (by following the step by step guide provided by a steam user in the comment section of NExt2) i have the same issue. From 3-5 min with (with decent sized cities, i7 6700) to 12-16 min (with loading a new map without a city). Only variable being NExt2. 

Thanks.  Honestly it takes me about 50 seconds to load a new city.  Could any of you with long load times check and see if disabling the small road with median helps considerably?  I can look over the code some more but this is proving to be kinda a doozy indeed.

15 minutes ago, andreharv said:

Thanks.  Honestly it takes me about 50 seconds to load a new city.  Could any of you with long load times check and see if disabling the small road with median helps considerably?  I can look over the code some more but this is proving to be kinda a doozy indeed.

What processor and graphics card you using, need those in my life; but the new single median roads do cause longer load times.  

9 minutes ago, jstatha said:

What processor and graphics card you using, need those in my life; but the new single median roads do cause longer load times.  

Ok please try unsubscribing and resubscribing and let me know if this makes a difference.

It doesn't but it just takes longer than usual, i did disable and it worked like normal. prior to the update later in the day it wouldn't load at all. 

When I still used the old NExT it added about 10 minutes to my 3 minute loading time. My PC is a decent machine, so I don't know what causes it in particular. I haven't tried with NExT 2 but I don't expect much difference.

For those of you with super long loading times with NExt 2; do you also experience a sharp decrease in overall performance? I have seemingly lost half my average FPS since the update, and my computer is struggling with 25.000 residents as opposed to 150.000 residents just days ago. 

Btw i don't want to nag. Overall you've done an amazing job with this mod, clearly evident by how essential most of us in here find it :)

Not since this update though I've noticed that I can't run a city in the background whilst having video playing without either stuttering horrendously. The video plays if the city simulation is paused.

20 hours ago, andreharv said:

Disabling the new small roads with median did the trick for me, and restored the old loading times.
Oddly enough the options panel only listed two types of small roads with median, instead of the 4 that were added with the last update.

In response to the hardware-related question: I doubt that has anything to do with it, because my laptop with i7 6700HQ, GTX1070, 16GB DDR4 RAM and PCIe SSD manages everything I throw at it with ease.

Ok guys I have a small confession to make...while I have been developing this mod, I have been using a small assortment of mods.  One of them has been the Loading Screen Mod which causes loading times to be greatly reduced (with or without this mod).  That said, once I removed it, I found loading times blew up considerably.  Notwithstanding, I have been trying to address complaints of slow loading times and found some inefficiencies in the code from way back that caused loading times to increase near exponentially as new roads were added.  I suppose the small road with median was just that turning point where it became most noticeable.  In my testing, the basic road with median did not take much time at all to load in itself.  Long story short, I will be pushing an update later today to fix these inefficiencies.  I would also highly encourage you to subscribe to the Loading Screen Mod.  This mod speeds up loading times considerably (again with or without this mod).

My initial findings on my rig (i7 4790k, 32gb ddr3, R390 8gb) ~30 mods ~75 assets

No NExt, no LSM: 1:05

NExt, no LSM: 3:04

NExt updated, no LSM: 1:54

NExt updated, LSM: 0:53

No NExt, LSM: 0:36

Bottom line: On my machine,  NExt currently adds about 2 minutes to the loading time (out of a 3 minute total *:().  With my updated code and LSM, it added only 17 seconds!*:thumb: Your times will vary but I hope they keep to these proportions.  I will be pushing this update later today.  For now get the loading screen mod!

Posted (edited)

Dropped from approx 1:30 to 1:00

I have 94 mods and about 300 assets.

i7 6700K 4.6GHz / 16GB DDR4

Edited by Ronyx69

Loading time is now 5:45 with 83 mods and 2634 assets. Last loading time I remember was with the old NExT and it was around 10 minutes. I can't tell if this update helped, but I'm more than happy with it!

Dropped from ~8 to 3.45

114 mods 4002 assets

4770k, 32gb ram+120gb RAMssd, game also on ssd

Dropped from about 40mins, to about 20-30 mins (though I've not logged them down properly.)

57/70 mods active, 1192 assets.

Phenom II X4 965, 16GB of RAM, game installed on 64Gb SSD. I know my CPU is old now but I'm still stumped as to why my saves take so long to load. Maybe a mod, maybe an asset. Something somewhere certainly slows my load times.

EDIT: Under 10 mins. Well pleased. Might be cos I also disabled three mods but it's better.

54 minutes ago, jumonjii said:

Maybe integrate LSM into NExt? Or maybe write one like it for NExt?

That's a bad idea. LSM will break with every new DLC. Also, the technology behind LSM is totally different and can not be applied to NExt.

1 hour ago, boformer said:

That's a bad idea. LSM will break with every new DLC. Also, the technology behind LSM is totally different and can not be applied to NExt.

Okay. 

It's too bad most mods break with updates and DLC releases. The devs should embrace the modding community more.

Love the mod, having a blast with it!

Besides having a slightly different color for the bus lanes, Curious what's the difference between these two types of bus lanes (attached image)

The one on the left is "[BETA] Large Road With Bus Lanes"

and the one on the right is "Six-lane Road with Bus Lanes"

buslanes2.jpg

32 minutes ago, WillYart said:

Love the mod, having a blast with it!

Besides having a slightly different color for the bus lanes, Curious what's the difference between these two types of bus lanes (attached image)

The one on the left is "[BETA] Large Road With Bus Lanes"

and the one on the right is "Six-lane Road with Bus Lanes"

buslanes2.jpg

one is from NExt and one is from After Dark - the after dark doesn't need any mods to work, it gives priority to buses, emergency vehicles and taxis.

4 hours ago, jumonjii said:

Okay. 

It's too bad most mods break with updates and DLC releases. The devs should embrace the modding community more.

In case of LSM, it is really not the fault of CO. That mod replaces the loading sequence which references all the packages of the game. Those packages are changing with every update.

They are closely working together with us to make all the mods work when new DLCs are released.

gfvsims and Avanya like this

Do you guys get heads up of what's changing so the mods can be updated?

Here's an idea: more narrow pedestrian paths. I don't know how about you, but for me 8 meter wide pedestrian paths are overkill. I don't know if it is possible, but if it is, then probably it would be very easy to implement since paths are very simple, am I right? 4 m, 2 m (or even 1 m wide for gravel paths) would be awesome. What do you think?

Alexgru88, Lost_Gecko and gfvsims like this

5 hours ago, jumonjii said:

Do you guys get heads up of what's changing so the mods can be updated?

I'm gonna have to be a bit vague here, since we're under an NDA and I'm not sure how specific I can be on this. :P The modding beta exists to give modders early access to the patches, ideally so mods can be fixed before a patch hits. If you've encountered other betas in other games you'll know these often come with patch notes too, like the official patches, noting what has changed. Ofc that can still mean lots of digging and testing to find out how to get stuff to work again (I'm kinda guessing here as I'm an asset creator and don't really understand that magic the modders do ;)). Timing is a factor too obviously, since our modders do this in their spare time. A patch can come out while they're really busy with something in real life, so they won't have much time to work on a mod. Or CO can make some really big changes and take out a mod for a longer period, like we saw with ND and the Loading Screen Mod. :) 

gfvsims likes this