• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us reach our June donation goal   06/12/2017

If you can, please help us reach our June donation goal!  Please note that the STEX Collector's Set gift can now be sent to you by digital download, as well as by mail! Simtropolis runs mostly on donations, as you know, every dollar helps us keep things up and running and bring in improvements from time to time. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Cyclone Boom

bugs
Simtropolis 8.1.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

416 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Abrams124 said:

EDIT:It works now,time to chat!

Yes, this should now be resolved.

Turns out this was an issue affecting everyone using the chat service (not just limited to ST). They've done some background work, and managed to sort out whatever was going on. So I guess it was pure coincidence this started around the time I edited the rules page. Funny how things like that happen...

Next stop, the scrollbar bug. ;)

matias93 likes this

I have noticed a forum thread loading problem yesterday.  I cannot say for certain if this issue started specifically yesterday, or if it may have been ongoing for some time longer.

Within threads with multiple pages, attempting to navigate to other pages by left-clicking the in-thread page navigation buttons results in perpetually stalled loading of the new page.  The buttons for "First page," "Last page", "prev," "next," and direct page number all fail.  Attempting to use the browser navigation tools to return from the broken loading page back to the original page becomes tricky, as the broken page tries to reload itself and then fails again, requiring several rapid clicks to properly back out of it.  Being logged into a Simtropolis user account or just visiting as a guest does not matter.  Right-clicking the in-thread page navigation buttons to open the desired page into either a new tab or a new window still works as normal.  Forum navigation buttons are not affected.

This now happens for me on Internet Explorer (11.0.9600.18524), Google Chrome (56.0.2924.87), and mobile Android (4.0.4) on several separate devices.

Using the Quote of the Day thread, page 41, as an example, here is what happens when attempting to left-click to page 40 using the navigation buttons with Internet Explorer:

etPlFQi.jpg

This is doing the same with Google Chrome:

0SdYiFZ.jpg

And on Android:

TOus1fD.png

Android additionally often alerts "Connection problem - A network error occurred" for pages of Simtropolis.  Naturally, this is a generic message which could be anything and everything from something suspicious trying to load, an obsolete version of Android encountering new and unfamiliar code, or merely technology gremlins.

Its done the same thing to me a couple of times over the last couple of days ... I just thought it was my computer playing up - Linux Mint and Firefox

I used the Quote of the Day thread to test. With Firefox I had no trouble going from page to page.  This tells me either FF is not affected or the technology gremlins are sleeping right now.

Thanks for the reports.

One thing I've noticed the past week or so is a general increase in the number of guests online. At one point, the count was at well over 1,000. The most likely culprit are spiders scanning for an update to their search index. But whether these are legitimate bots (i.e. Google) or something else remains to be seen...

Since this has fluctuated during the day, there's a possibility this is related to a few performance issues here and there.

If it continues, I'll let Dirk know for further investigation.

CorinaMarie, matias93 and catty-cb like this

On 02/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Odainsaker said:

I have noticed a forum thread loading problem yesterday.  I cannot say for certain if this issue started specifically yesterday, or if it may have been ongoing for some time longer.

I have this same problem last week on Opera, Mozilla, IE etc.

There seems to be a number of bugs in the Leaderboard section, various total's are in conflict;

The leaderboard here http://community.simtropolis.com/leaderboard/?time=oldest

Spoiler

a0Kdll5.jpg

Is dramatically different the the total's on the popular contributors box on the front page of the forum section http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/

Spoiler

9ATJICA.jpg

There also seems to be something wrong with how the daily total's are calculated. Last night at midnight for March 3rd these were the days total's,

Spoiler

G1xmNlM.jpg

But the past leader total's for March 3 is showing something different. http://community.simtropolis.com/pastleaders/?page=1&sortdirection=desc I've noticed this has happened several time in the past week as well.

Also it seems strange that one member would be chosen over another in the case of a draw for most highest rep in a day eg. Oct 3 2016.

2 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

The leaderboard here http://community.simtropolis.com/leaderboard/?time=oldest

Is dramatically different the the total's on the popular contributors box on the front page of the forum section http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/

Yes, there does appear to be some inconsistency. If I'd hazard a guess, since they were around before, the sidebars must use a different method/criteria to calculate the totals. I do know the Leaderboards are only based on reputation tied to posted content (which hasn't been deleted and is still on record). Any rep gained from content no longer available wouldn't be counted in the Leaderboards, since the source data wouldn't exist. The same could also be said for rep prizes from the ST Challenges, or any manual addition to user rep counts.

However, it's interesting how @Schulmanator has the same 5,643 total shown on both lists, while the other 3 users don't correspond. o.O

Looking at the larger list on Activity, it seems like "All Time" simply extracts rep totals from profiles, as these all match accordingly. As for the "Week / Month / Year" sidebar totals, I suspect these use a different time window for the calculations.

I'll dig around and see if there's any options to modify this behaviour. Otherwise to find out exactly what's going on, assistance may be needed from tech support.

There also seems to be something wrong with how the daily total's are calculated.

To account for a wider range of users, the daily totals currently use the PST (UTC-8) time zone. So if you were in a later time zone, this means the daily cut-off point would be after your midnight (e.g. 3am EST).

This may explain why you were leading with 15 rep as pictured, but then @Hamish must've had a strong finish to reach 19 rep in the time remaining.

(Sorry, rather ironically, I think your marvellous Trixies Interview is responsible for that!)  :whatevs:

Also it seems strange that one member would be chosen over another in the case of a draw for most highest rep in a day eg. Oct 3 2016.

I'm not sure on the method of the tiebreaker, but I suspect it's based on the earlier or later received rep (i.e. on countback).

In such instances, I would support a draw being declared, as time is merely a quantitative variable, unlike the rep being given. And contrary to sports, there doesn't always need to be outright podium winners!

Leaderboard Performance

By the way... *:read:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond? For me, loading these intermittently takes upwards of 45 seconds. Trying a reload usually brings the page up quicker, but then the "Popular Content" list isn't shown below.

This could potentially be related to the thread page loading issue reported above.

Takingyouthere and CorinaMarie like this

6 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond?

Yep. I've noticed they take some time and have for a while. I assumed it's a one-handed, hungover bean counter in a bad mood doing the calculations.

Cyclone Boom likes this

1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. I've noticed they take some time and have for a while. I assumed it's a one-handed, hungover bean counter in a bad mood doing the calculations.

OK, thanks for confirming. At least this proves it's more likely to be server related, rather than a connection issue.

For me, this has been persisting for a few weeks now as I recall.

2 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

For me, this has been persisting for a few weeks now as I recall.

Yeah. Seems about right for the time frame. And, btw, it's slow here from home as well as from work as a guest.

Right, something weird has obviously happened around then. Before this point, the processing understandably took a few seconds, but nothing like what it does right now. I tried rebuilding the search index and the Leaderboard data the other day, but this didn't seem to help. The mystery deepens... :uhm:

It seems a software update is apparently just around the corner hailing "performance improvements". So maybe this will help address whatever is going on. There is a lot of data to process after all, so a small gremlin could easily have widespread impact.

Otherwise it's another one for Dirk & tech support.

A new moderator setting to restrict users from ignoring moderators.

I would've sworn you mentioned we already have that. :uhm:

I'm concerned about that word Beta in there. Hopefully they will fix more than they break.

20 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I would've sworn you mentioned we already have that. :uhm:

Yeah, not too sure how this is different from the current setting. We do have this enabled, mainly for contact purposes with PMs. And of course, who would want to ignore staff anyway! *:P

20 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I'm concerned about that word Beta in there. Hopefully they will fix more than they break.

Prior to the actual release, I think they usually do a few betas to expose and iron out as many new bugs. These are offered to all clients of the software, who may choose to install it in a test environment. But indeed, new features rarely don't introduce new bugs in the process...

It may actually be worth holding this update off until after the Trixies. As the last thing needed is the nominations forum to implode or something. I'll check with Dirk on this, and see what the options are.

57 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

This may explain why you were leading with 15 rep as pictured, but then @Hamish must've had a strong finish to reach 19 rep in the time remaining.

(Sorry, rather ironically, I think your marvellous Trixies Interview is responsible for that!)  :whatevs:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder by hijacking your thunder and using it against your own thunder :???:

It's strange though how some members totals are higher while others are lower. I would expect one to have the higher numbers all around, sounds like it might not be an easy fix.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

To account for a wider range of users, the daily totals currently use the PST (UTC-8) time zone. So if you were in a later time zone, this means the daily cut-off point would be after your midnight (e.g. 3am EST).

Didn't realize that, makes sense now thanks for the info.

I'm not sure on the method of the tiebreaker, but I suspect it's based on the earlier or later received rep (i.e. on countback).

In such instances, I would support a draw being declared, as time is merely a quantitative variable, unlike the rep being given. And contrary to sports, there doesn't always need to be outright podium winners!

Yes agreed, that would be the fairest way to go about it. 

Leaderboard Performance

By the way... *:read:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond? For me, loading these intermittently takes upwards of 45 seconds.

Noticed the same, it's always taken a long time to load, I just assumed that there was a lot of data for the program to go through.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, Hamish said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder by hijacking your thunder and using it against your own thunder :???:

lol *:lol: no worries. I wouldn't want it the other way around either since both parties contribute to the interview but would it be possible for both the interviewer and the interviewee to receive the rep from their respective interviews? I'm guessing it could be done manually but then it wouldn't count on the leaderboard. Either way it's not a big deal it's cool enough that a lot of people seem to be checking out the interviews. 

dk1 is leading the rep count for today and I suppose it's possible that other members have liked his content 30 times today but it kind of seems a little unlikely considering he has posted anything on the site in 5+ years :golly:

@Cyclone Boom Something is definitely wonky with the leaderboard the last few days. Yesterday it was dk1 and today bixel is leading the rep count - with 83 no less! :golly:quite possibly a single day record. But strangely enough bixel hasn't posted or even logged onto the site in over a year and none of his content is shown as having been given a like in the list of popular content leaders for the day, stranger days indeed. 

On 05/03/2017 at 3:25 AM, Cyclone Boom said:

Some additional info on Leaderboard tiebreakers:

Apparently there's no such thing. According to IPS, ties are only split by whichever results are first pulled from the database. So in other words, a logical method isn't used.

An even bigger case for draws then...

On 05/03/2017 at 5:58 AM, Takingyouthere said:

I wouldn't want it the other way around either since both parties contribute to the interview but would it be possible for both the interviewer and the interviewee to receive the rep from their respective interviews?

No probs, I'll sort that out for you and the other interviewees once they're all posted. Made a note of it in a file named:  Simtropolis to do List.docx  *:read:

Like you say though, this wouldn't affect the Leaderboards or any time-measured rep total.

On 05/03/2017 at 5:58 AM, Takingyouthere said:

Something is definitely wonky with the leaderboard the last few days. Yesterday it was dk1 and today bixel is leading the rep count - with 83 no less!

After investigating this, it would seem both @dk1 and @bixel had a whole bunch of their existing STEX files liked. On each day, this caused them to acquire enough rep to claim the lead, and pip you to the post on both occasions. In bixel's case, a momentous gain indeed.

There were two separate users involved (which I won't bring to light here). Although from past & present evidence, we believe the circumstances for them liking the files was genuine, with no ill intent to prevent you winning the daily total. So based on that, we're reluctant to make changes which would reverse this and alter the standings. The community is in charge of these Leaderboards, and manually adjusting would take control away, and also set a precedent for the future.

If interested, it's possible to check by visiting the rep activity for dk1 and bixel on their profiles. Since these are single instances (each file), it explains why they aren't shown in the "Popular Content" list. On both days, the lowest individual item has 2 likes.

The fact that any content can be liked at any time, means this is really a limitation of the system. Exactly the same with new content, it's possible for older files, posts, or other items to receive rep, and count to that day's standings. So in theory, this means anyone with at least one content item can achieve this.

Looking back at the history, it seems this isn't the first time an inactive user has attained 1st place. I guess it's just one of those things which by chance, has occurred two days in a row whilst you were leading. Sorry about that!

(However, especially with your return to the CJ scene, I'm sure #47 can only be a matter of time.)  *;)

I've been having that page refresh bug, too, in case it helps. I usually use Firefox, but have noticed the problem on other browsers as well. Refreshing manages to load the right page, but it takes a manual refresh, as otherwise the page merely hangs. Happened right here in this thread, too, as I was scanning back the archives to see if others had already reported it.

Just another user to add onto the pile of people reporting bugs, just so that the software providers have a harder time claiming it's isolated. *;)

Silur and Cyclone Boom like this

5 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Some additional info on Leaderboard tiebreakers:

Apparently there's no such thing. According to IPS, ties are only split by whichever results are first pulled from the database. So in other words, a logical method isn't used.

An even bigger case for draws then...

That makes even less sense then, but on the bright side at least now we know why it's happening lol. It's too bad that the end users have limited control over some aspects/parameters of the software being used. 

5 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

After investigating this, it would seem both @dk1 and @bixel had a whole bunch of their existing STEX files liked. On each day, this caused them to acquire enough rep to claim the lead, and pip you to the post on both occasions. In bixel's case, a momentous gain indeed.

There were two separate users involved (which I won't bring to light here). Although from past & present evidence, we believe the circumstances for them liking the files was genuine, with no ill intent to prevent you winning the daily total. So based on that, we're reluctant to make changes which would reverse this and alter the standings. The community is in charge of these Leaderboards, and manually adjusting would take control away, and also set a precedent for the future.

If interested, it's possible to check by visiting the rep activity for dk1 and bixel on their profiles. Since these are single instances (each file), it explains why they aren't shown in the "Popular Content" list. On both days, the lowest individual item has 2 likes.

The fact that any content can be liked at any time, means this is really a limitation of the system. Exactly the same with new content, it's possible for older files, posts, or other items to receive rep, and count to that day's standings. So in theory, this means anyone with at least one content item can achieve this.

Looking back at the history, it seems this isn't the first time an inactive user has attained 1st place. I guess it's just one of those things which by chance, has occurred two days in a row whilst you were leading. Sorry about that!

(However, especially with your return to the CJ scene, I'm sure #47 can only be a matter of time.)  *;)

Oh that's totally cool, the only thing I was worried about was that it could of been a bug and I'm more than happy to hear that isn't the case. I can see what your saying going through the files and I have to say that I have absolutely no issues at all with the rep that was given. As far as I'm concerned anyone can give as many likes to anyone else at any point in time for whatever reason they so chose. In fact you don't have to go too far back to find a member who received 100 likes in a single day!(Feindbold Dec 6, 2016) And I'm guessing that reaching 100 wasn't exactly a coincidence *:lol: Perhaps if the members giving the likes had signed up that same day it might of seemed suspicious, which is not the case here as both have been members for years. But even if that was the case then I'm not sure if I'd agree with any action being taken. Who's to say they didn't legitimately sign up just so that they could give thanks to and support the work of that particular content creator. And those creators in question here; bixel & dk1, have both supplied outstanding content to the community so any rep points given to them is entirely deserved *:thumb: 

To be honest though I'm of the opinion that the daily leaderboard is a little bit silly. I'm guessing it was brought as more of a curiosity or as fun thing. But in the sense of using it as a measure of a persons contributions it's really not of much value. My total # of wins does make sense relative to my rep count but their are plenty of highly regarded members who don't punch any where near their weight such as Schulmanator & Ln X. It's something that's highly subject to random variation and often the worth of a contribution a member makes on any particular day isn't fully recognized/ disseminated until at least a few days after the fact, which is why I would be much more interested in a list of weekly or month leaders but for now I take it that the software isn't capable of showing those totals. *sigh* If only the leaderboard page wasn't so slow... Anyhow thanks again for looking into things.

3 hours ago, APSMS said:

I've been having that page refresh bug, too, in case it helps. I usually use Firefox, but have noticed the problem on other browsers as well. Refreshing manages to load the right page, but it takes a manual refresh, as otherwise the page merely hangs. Happened right here in this thread, too, as I was scanning back the archives to see if others had already reported it.

Just another user to add onto the pile of people reporting bugs, just so that the software providers have a harder time claiming it's isolated. *;)

I have the same problem. What is the reason?

7 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

I would be much more interested in a list of weekly or month leaders but for now I take it that the software isn't capable of showing those totals. *sigh*

You can get weekly and monthly totals on the Leaderboard page as noted in CB's post in the Site Updates & Announcements thread.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

On the top right side, there are several range filtering options, including:

1uKTIsm.png

And if you go to the Forums page and scroll down you'll find:

Leaders%20Forum%20Page_zpslsd8omhw.jpg

Where you can also select Month or Year or All Time. This one on the Forums page loads a lot quicker.

Cyclone Boom likes this

12 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

That makes even less sense then, but on the bright side at least now we know why it's happening lol. It's too bad that the end users have limited control over some aspects/parameters of the software being used.

Yes, clearly not much thought has gone into handling ties. The good news is with their intention to expand on the feature, I would suspect more options will be provided for the configuration. It does have enormous potential, and is quite a revolutionary addition for forum communities.

As far as I'm concerned anyone can give as many likes to anyone else at any point in time for whatever reason they so chose.

We completely agree it's fair to allow this freedom, and glad to hear you're supportive of this.

In fact you don't have to go too far back to find a member who received 100 likes in a single day!(Feindbold Dec 6, 2016) And I'm guessing that reaching 100 wasn't exactly a coincidence

Funnily enough for all users, there's a set limit of 100 rep allowed to give each day. So what happened there, I'm guessing someone went on a rampage and used up all their daily allowance at once! :whatevs:

However, we'd not be against considering a raise or removal of this limit.

It's something that's highly subject to random variation and often the worth of a contribution a member makes on any particular day isn't fully recognized/ disseminated until at least a few days after the fact

That's a good point. Like with sample data, the more there is, the less opportunity for outliers to affect the result. But I suppose it could be seen both ways. By measuring a short timeframe, it does give more chance to a wider range of people. Say if someone made an exceptional post or CJ update, that might equate to enough rep alone to reach the daily summit. Where on a weekly or monthly basis, it more favours those who regularly make consistent contributions.

Perhaps having separate "winners" would make sense then, to reward both aspects.

10 hours ago, Silur said:

I have the same problem. What is the reason?

There could be a combination of factors. So to properly determine exactly what's going on, both the page loading and Leaderboard performance will need further investigation. If server related, it's possible fixing one may fix the other.

I'll report back with a progress update as and when more information comes to light. *:yes:

5 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Where you can also select Month or Year or All Time. This one on the Forums page loads a lot quicker.

Yes, although they may report different results than the Leaderboard, this widget does perform much better. I'd guess because it's simply retrieving the rep calculations, and not querying where the data is associated (i.e. posts).

There's also one at the bottom sidebar of the Activity feed, which is expanded to listing the top 20.

CorinaMarie likes this

Posted (edited)

@RandyE reported a bug to me in chat.  If one goes to a category of the STEX and attempts to upload a file you can get this far and then the drop down won't drop down.

Stex%20Upload%20Error_zps681w4a3d.jpg

*:(

Edited by CorinaMarie

Replaced pic with PB version. (PB was doing maint so I used Imgur initially.)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

@RandyE reported a bug to me in chat.  If one goes to a category of the STEX and attempts to upload a file you can get this far and then the drop down won't drop down.

Thanks, I've made a note in my file and will get that forwarded as a priority.

Site Performance

A quick update on this:

Measures have been taken to mitigate the excessive bot activity. Since it's been an intermittent issue, an assessment will be made tomorrow to determine whether this was successful. From observation, it would seem to have been most noticeable around midday EST.

Efforts can then begin to address the exact causes of the performance drops (thread pages & leaderboards).

EDIT:

I've updated the bugs list on the initial page.

Edited by Cyclone Boom
Takingyouthere likes this

On 3/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, CorinaMarie said:

You can get weekly and monthly totals on the Leaderboard page as noted in CB's post in the Site Updates & Announcements thread.

Yeah but those are just the rolling total of the last 7 days what I wanted to see was the leaders from past individual weeks and months. One of which I've already taken care of *:)

On 3/7/2017 at 1:12 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

However, we'd not be against considering a raise or removal of this limit.

That's a good point. Like with sample data, the more there is, the less opportunity for outliers to affect the result. But I suppose it could be seen both ways. By measuring a short timeframe, it does give more chance to a wider range of people. Say if someone made an exceptional post or CJ update, that might equate to enough rep alone to reach the daily summit. Where on a weekly or monthly basis, it more favours those who regularly make consistent contributions.

Perhaps having separate "winners" would make sense then, to reward both aspects.

That's true. I guess I should look at it in the same as having more trixie's winners, that way more people can feel appreciated. It's just that I felt like the site was trumping the daily winners a little too strongly; having created an entire new section on the site for it, then having medals by our names and the total count of wins on a members home page. But I can understand the appeal to it. And I think that would add to it, having the weekly and monthly winners recognized in the same way on their user page.

Cyclone Boom and CorinaMarie like this

We seem to have lost the Simtropolis regular smiling emoticon:

Missing%20Smile_zpsomrqs7oz.jpg

17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

We seem to have lost the Simtropolis regular smiling emoticon:

That's strange, I was able to see it in the middle there:

oZd9lUD.png

Does it also appear missing from the "Simtropolis" category selection?

The smiley should be the first one at the top left:

5oPJo0k.png

Maybe it's worth trying a forced cache refresh (Ctrl+F5).

Just did Ctrl+F5.

*:) <-- that was typing it. It acted like it was going to change, then didn't. And it's missing from the picker too. My first one shows the *;)