Pegprod

Simpeg Productions - Farewell

1 hour ago, Craigsters said:

Sorry to see the site gone,  I was going to check it out today to see what was new there!..

Hi Craigsters

Nice to see you again, it was a real shock when Pegasus made the decision to shutdown the site.

-catty

14 hours ago, catty-cb said:

We could and a year ago I'd be saying lets do it, but who's left from the old simpeg gang that's activate in the SC4 communities these days ... you, me, ???

a dozen more, I think. And lots of sympathizers. Problem is what would we do with the website ?

2 hours ago, APSMS said:

It's gone. Did Peg put it up for sale?

Its still showing up on the auction site

Domain Name: SIMPEG.COM
Registrar: ANNULET LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 607
Whois Server: whois.annulet.com
Referral URL: http://www.annulet.com
Name Server: NS.BUYDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: THIS-DOMAIN-FOR-SALE.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 07-sep-2016
Creation Date: 28-jul-2006
Expiration Date: 28-jul-2017

currently owned by "THIS-DOMAIN-FOR-SALE.COM"

34 minutes ago, tariely said:

a dozen more, I think. And lots of sympathizers. Problem is what would we do with the website ?

:???:

I wouldn't expect any more stuff from him directly, but there are several people that have added MANY additions to the SimPeg site and related to Pegasus's work that have also been, gratefully, moved here.

From time to time additional 'related' stuff might become available...adding to the dozens of Peg and Peg related stuff already available.

The content from the Mountain Theme Pack (MTP), the SimPeg Agriculture Mod (SPAM), Coast Development Kit CDK), and the PLEX are really amazing stuff!

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:51 PM, catty-cb said:

Its finally been a year and a bit since SimPeg shut its doors which means that the domain name is now available so if anyone out there wants to revive the site and has a spare $963.26 that they aren't using

https://nz.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=simpeg

-catty

While it would awesome to be able to visit a SimPeg site again, unless there were enough developers to add new content the site would only become a "storage" place.

It's wonderful that so much of the old site's content was found and moved over here.

On SimPeg it was all the new content and themes, plus the help (beta testing) from several members, that maintained a thriving community over there.

Being able to bring all that back would be great.

But nearly $1000, plus monthly/yearly costs, for just storing old (yet wonderful) content....I don't see it.

Anyone know if any of the old guys would be interesting in making new Pegasus-related content?

A strong community "could"     partially help (financially) maintain the site, again. But it would have to be more then just a "U-Store" garage.

Just saying...

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:31 AM, SceneryBuilder said:

so, is Pegasus going to be releasing new files anymore?

Not a chance. He's no longer a part of this community, in fact despite the continued presence of SimPeg until last year, that's been the case for a long time.

1 hour ago, cjm3fl said:

But nearly $1000, plus monthly/yearly costs, for just storing old (yet wonderful) content....I don't see it.

Well, that's not what you'd be paying for. The old content (forums threads, CJ etc) is all toast.

Better to let sleeping dogs lye IMHO.

3 hours ago, cjm3fl said:

....But nearly $1000, plus monthly/yearly costs, for just storing old (yet wonderful) content....I don't see it.

That's to buy a website address, SimPeg as rcs204 has just pointed out is gone unless there were backups and that doesn't appear to have been the case, Paeng who was one of the administrator's over there and he did save quite a bit re tutorials etc and when he moved on from SimCity 4 he passed those files over to me, the forum attachments I uploaded over at CB and given the lack of spare time I've got I'm seriously thinking of uploading those files (minus the forum attachments) into a private section of the site and letting those people who need access have a rummage thru them and see what can be salvaged.

-catty

55 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Two words, "Prop Pox".

I remember that ... it was a case of take cover and hope for the best as Pegasus was banning anyone he thought was on the other side

21 minutes ago, tariely said:

It was before my time. Anyone cares to enlighten me ?

With regard to the Prop Pox

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Prop_Pox

On the 24th of February, bap posted a very accurate and easy to understand analysis of the problem. Basing on the already known information, and his own observations, he came to the conclusion that it were the modified versions of original, in-game Maxis' props. This theory has been called 'prop theory', and is known largely known as the most probable one. It was also concluded that the main, most popular file causing this problem are the Pegasus' CDK3-OWW2 lots, or rather props included in them, since some are the modified (time-depending) versions of the Maxis' props, which add to the city save file extra 78kb everytime the city is saved. It was also found out that the once affected tile can't be recovered, though it can be avoided by editing peg's CDK3-OWW2 files in Ilive's Reader, or by downloading fixed versions of the previously downloaded files.

As you can imagine Pegasus didn't take it well not only didn't he think he was responsible for the Prop Pox, but he wasn't even sure that the Prop Pox existed, things got really heated between SC4 Devotion and SimPeg sites as a result, but I'm not sure you can put Pegasus's leaving solely down to the Prop Pox flame war I seem to remember the issue regarding seaport controllers got very heated as well.

-catty

On 9/29/2016 at 7:58 PM, catty-cb said:

I remember that ... it was a case of take cover and hope for the best as Pegasus was banning anyone he thought was on the other side

Indeed.  I think I was one of just two or three upper-level staffers from SC4 Devotion who Pegasus didn't ban during the seaport and prop pox imbroglios.  The prop pox incident happened in early 2009, and Pegasus was still active in mid-2010, though not much after that.  I don't think his retirement from active SC4 life can be directly attributed to it, but it probably didn't help--he had a pretty embattled few years from 2007-2010.

-Tarkus

18 hours ago, Tarkus said:

-he had a pretty embattled few years from 2007-2010.

Sad. I it wasn't before my time, then.  But I heard nothing of it. May I say I'm glad I heard nothing of it ? (I just became aware of the probable cause of the prop pox these last few months ; not of the fallout.)

4 hours ago, tariely said:

May I say I'm glad I heard nothing of it ?

Indeed you may. It was before my time too. The question of what it is came up in chat one day and my Googling led me to What causes Prop Pox (and how to avoid it) over on Devotion. I read the entire 36 page thread. It started as a fascinating and brilliant dissertation by bap using rigorous testing to ferret out the root cause. Unfortunately the only extant poxing file found in the wild happened to be one of Peg's. The important part to know is that it was never done intentionally by Peg. It was simply something that was discovered the hard way. The unfortunate part was that for whatever reason Peg chose not to acknowledge the proven data. Nasty things then happened in the social aspect. Hopefully we can let that part lie and not re-hash it here.

So, back to the real topic: I'm am thoroughly pleased that Peg's creations are still available. It is a treasure trove of beautiful work. :)

YesI too I'm glad they are available again, and I would be deliriously happy if some of the gang were to make some more or perhaps relot some  -- although paeng did most of it already ! The double punch paeng-Peg is what brought me back to SC4...

On 10/2/2016 at 7:15 PM, tariely said:

YesI too I'm glad they are available again, and I would be deliriously happy if some of the gang were to make some more or perhaps relot some  -- although paeng did most of it already ! The double punch paeng-Peg is what brought me back to SC4...

The bit about Paeng is perhaps the hardest to take, even if it is the most understandable. I do wish he'd stop in from time to time, though, and say hi. Kinda hard to do, though, I guess, when you've forgotten almost all of it.

On 2.10.2016 at 1:09 AM, Tarkus said:

Indeed.  I think I was one of just two or three upper-level staffers from SC4 Devotion who Pegasus didn't ban during the seaport and prop pox imbroglios.  The prop pox incident happened in early 2009, and Pegasus was still active in mid-2010, though not much after that.  I don't think his retirement from active SC4 life can be directly attributed to it, but it probably didn't help--he had a pretty embattled few years from 2007-2010.

-Tarkus

My personal experience is - if you make free content for a game (free time + for fun) you are much more sensible as if working for money. Money will motivate you again and again even if you don't get recognition by your boss or by your colleagues. But it doesn't really need much and I loose interest in modding if people don't cheer me up permanently and I get motivation by 'social feedback'.

So - from my point of view - it's hard to judge what maybe have been a reason or not (most of the time it isn't a single reason but a bunch of little things) and only Pegasus himself may perhaps know. Again only in my personal opinion - the question 'why did he left' could only be answered by him alone - and to ask this question in his absence must lead to nowhere else than to gossip. But then - every social forum needs some gossip.

The created content is just like some footprint left in a public space - and like anthropologist the later ones may ask - who was there walking long before me? O.k. - this is a legitimate question and a very old question (regarding culture in total). But it's a quite new one for the digital world and the internet. How many stuff might be there already of people not living anymore? We use it, we play it - but we don't realy know about the creator.  Strange thing, but to read this thread I got a feeling as visiting an excavation site.

And I'm afraid this post was driven by nostagia and doesn't have a point.

On 4/10/2016 at 8:16 AM, Fantozzi said:

(...)

And I'm afraid this post was driven by nostagia and doesn't have a point.

I feel it's very much to the point. The fact our whole culture (not speaking of SC here) is so intent on losing its memory on instant gratification doesn't mean we shouldn't resist. While reorganizing my stash of plugins I now make it a point to always register the author's name (which I confess I didn't always do in my heyday:-). Just a small finger in the holes of the Danaïds' barrel, but let it be the middle one.

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 1:33 PM, tariely said:

Well rather than try and bring back the website, if you can track down who set up the SimPeg Facebook page ... it doesn't look like it gets used much anymore but it would be lot easier to bring it back to life than try and start again

https://www.facebook.com/Simpeg-Productions-150755478281631/?ref=page_internal

I visited that site (and left a PM). I can't help feeling it's ... weird. My first impression was that it could be ABCVs, but why wouldn't he sign at least with his handle ?

On 7/14/2015 at 9:13 AM, tariely said:

ditto, and 2006. Sigh.

as we played some crazy word game for pages and pages what was it ...the first thing that came ro mind from the lqast word on list