• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
TPB

Show us what you're working on!

535 posts in this topic

Hey all, I thought we could do with a topic like this for Skylines! Often I have something I'd love to show but it doesn't fit into any topic. So I'll start.

I'm working on testing my new avenue system, I discovered that certain assets snap to eachother more easily than others, I think it has to do with being centered perfectly in the editor.

Anyway, here's my pic... huge avenue town is being born, man this is gonna look sick when done... there's a new mod that lets you change the color of roads, it's awesome. Can't think of the name now but it's very popular, easy to find.

15d3e8c4bd.jpg

Nope it's not some roads, some roads is nice but not really, the transitions between road types need a lot of work and that pink road is just terrible, imo. Only thing I like is the 2-lane highway and the rural road. 

Anyway, I've lookedit up and itscalled Road Color Changer  and its sweet. You configure the color by setting numeric RGB values in a config file. Can make your roads be any color you want. In the image it's at .4 for all values, going to .25 makes them really dark and is the default.

About the intersections I think you got a point, but maybe it's good so I can test and see how efficiently the traffic moves. Notice the smaller intersections don't cross the avenue but only feed onto one side.

ah, fair enough about the mod :) Might look into that.

and yes, it's not the intersections with the roads I'm worried about, it's the 4 avenue ones. I noticed the really short section of avenue between them hinders flow a lot. (the next car behind will wait for the previous car to clear the small section of avenue before it will drive into the crossroads, making it stutter a lot, and lowering flow by about 80% (just a rough guesstimate). Wish we could tell the game to treat a combination of intersections like a single intersection. Maybe it will be modded in at some date.

YUUU likes this

ah, fair enough about the mod :) Might look into that.

and yes, it's not the intersections with the roads I'm worried about, it's the 4 avenue ones. I noticed the really short section of avenue between them hinders flow a lot. (the next car behind will wait for the previous car to clear the small section of avenue before it will drive into the crossroads, making it stutter a lot, and lowering flow by about 80% (just a rough guesstimate). Wish we could tell the game to treat a combination of intersections like a single intersection. Maybe it will be modded in at some date.

Sooooo. I took your advice.. I've re-vamped my avenue pieces to include more types of intersections, and I remade the test town with the proper spacing between major intersections this time, maybe I went a bit overboard :-)

What do you think? They far enough, too far? Hehe. 

9713277550.jpg

607772321f.jpg

I'll be updating the MAv1 once I'm done testing properly this time : - ) Made it much easier to use, reduced the guide grids from 6 assets to just one and it now works on sloping terrain. 

I have to say I absolutely LOVE this game. I got the slower speed mod, and you wouldn't believe how awesome it is.. walking down the avenues and seeing everything... man ... *spongebob eyes* And i have a crappy graphics card...

EDIT: Well that was a major disaster teehee. So much traffic, need to plan the intersections much better. And I forgot pedestrian overpasses. 

Made for some interesting scenes lol.

7e910c27c5.jpg

b559362543.jpg

That guy on the right looking straight at us : - )

Ultimate727 and mrsmartman like this

Y3ryRmr.jpg

The industrial area in the distance is right on the edge of where I can build, plan is to create a nice smooth transition with the foreground being the edge of a large CBD.

mrsmartman likes this

Working on a map. More info there ;

This topic is called 'show us what you're working on'. Not 'let us read what you're working on'. Please only post pictures and no links to other topics or CJs.

@Ultimate727 : Ok... So... uhh... Alright, someone delete my posts here please. And if you want some pics, let me to know, I will post them both in the topic of my project and here. Thanks.

Maybe he doesn't know how to link images... I did not see any in the other topic he linked, nor in his other Assets Theme topic...

Need help with this Trylk255? It really helps get people to comment on your topics if you include images : ) As in, not links to images, but images that are visible right here.

Like this:

Hey guys, I'm working on a new plant to share with y'all, looks pretty good so far huh? :D

Small Palm :D

e81dbb8e49.png

I plopped a bunch of them for testing pusposes, palms forest :D

mrsmartman likes this

Here's the map i'm working on. Idea and groundwork done in photoshop.

A mostly flat "fantasy" island with an old weathered volcano (inclusive crater lake) and 3 little rivers. Map is based on 2 height levels, the lighter area (2nd picture) is near water level. The right upper side of the map should represent the harbour/industrial region (around 7 quaters big) (industrial, agriculture, oil, and some wood). Ore will be around the upper side of the volcano under the forest. (Thinking about to paint ore complete around it, or fill some part of the harbour with ore!? "I don't know right now"). Shiproutes going directly into the harbour-basins. Working atm on the highways & railways for the lower-left/right part of the map, then painting the rest of the forest. More pictures and release in a own thread will come when am done with work and testing. Advice & suggestions are welcome. Btw it's my first map which i create. =)

E7vYRwS.jpg?1

2. lighter area is near water level

T9fq0tk.jpg?1

Sirti, Ryno917, mrsmartman and 1 other like this

Looks cool with the hamster statue! :P

This is what I've been working on today. A new district in my city, called Leedshire. (sorry for the British name) :D

Cities%202015-04-25%2000-02-09-277_zpsqg

mrsmartman likes this

So I was just tinkering around with textures... and damn ended up spending a whole night "packaging" them...  :meh:

Terrain Texture Replacer Mod link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416966387

Texture links can be found in the mod's discussion thread: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/416966387/611702631227996654/

Additional info, screenshots also in there.

Well, anyone can simply rename these textures and make any combination you want.

From the normal set you can turn it into desert by copy/rename sand into grass.

Or turn the dark cliff into grass...  :boggle:

Winter Set:

8ANd584.jpg

Normal Set:

EYRU7lz.jpg

Random doodle...  :rofl:

ZoGzMRm.jpg

Now THAT is excellent. Is that the RedBull Ring in Austria? Very nice.

What did you do for the gravel traps?

How did you get nice curvature for the gravel traps using the fillers? Was it a tedious manual rotation of the square lots positioned meticulously to get a curve, or was there a (mildly) easier way?