• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
anselm_eickhoff

Developer Diaries Discussion

132 posts in this topic

Really hot stuff, and described in almost lay terms.  It is clear that the team is breaking new ground and this is only just.  I have yet to see a game engine that could do some of the things described here.  Well done, and keep on truckin'.

Planning mode. Nice. Skylines might well have 4's crown on its head now but methinks the heir to the throne has already proven himself worthy as a prince.

While much of Michael's report was to me unintelligible jargon myself not being mathematical, I gathered from it that real and important work is being done and the mention of a planning mode is very encouraging.

It is so refreshing after so much failure from corporate effort as in Sims3 and Sims4 and Simcity to see a game with a solid quality core being built rather than these quick buck reaping unfinished bugfests

Skylines is of course praiseworthy and modding may well make it Simcity 5. But 5 should have come and gone by now.

Here we see how a game should be made. Carefully and with plenty of consideration for all things. Meanwhile in Sims3 I shall try to ignore my virtual family's hifi when it has its habit of switching to maximum volume every time a new song plays...

Kiiroitori likes this

I've sort of lost track of this program.  Is it supposed to be a game or a full city simulation?

yea, so it's pretty clear that if you want to keep up with CB, you need to be a reddit or twitter user.  AE seems to be focused on developing how the economy will work.  I'm not sure this translates to code, but at the least the concepts behind coding.  *shrugs* somewhat unclear to me.  Anyhoo, see two posts above to follow the game.

http://i.imgur.com/K1Uwq7P.jpg

An old screen AE made.  He plans to also add 'Mods'

Hmm you may want to correct that the screen was a concept someone in the reddit made as a suggestion/inspiration, it's not really something that AE has confirmed or made himself.

http://i.imgur.com/K1Uwq7P.jpg

An old screen AE made.  He plans to also add 'Mods'

Hmm you may want to correct that the screen was a concept someone in the reddit made as a suggestion/inspiration, it's not really something that AE has confirmed or made himself.

My apologies.  I misunderstood.

I knew that the secret feature was going to be planning mode! This is very exciting.

One question: what about modifying the existing? I mean stuff that has already been built. Say, you want to redesign some highway interchange. Will we be able to demolish, redesign and plan whatever we want without actually impacting the existing interchange untill we're done and ready to execute the new plan?

Because in my experience that's when a planning mode would be more helpfull, I can think about countless times I tried to implement something in an already built area only to discover after I blew away tons of money that it won't fit no matter what or that it requires more distruction that I anticipated.

Anselm, I am really impressed with the UI you are creating for roads.  I see Citybound will be closer than anything before it to allow highly realistic copies of eccentric intersections and whole cities.  [i need to change my pants]  Really great work!

Will you be able to add or subtract control points along existing roads?  Will there be an implementation time / road construction aspect to the game (based on the blooper at the end, I assume no, but...)?

All this work on roads has me worried, though.  I'd really like Citybound to have buildings that don't have to be attached to a road to work.  Most buildings are attached to roads, to be sure, but in a national park like Yellowstone, for instance, or the river walk in San Antonio, TX and Masdar City, UAE, you can have buildings accessed by pedestrian only.  Do you see Citybound having this capability as well?

I knew that the secret feature was going to be planning mode! This is very exciting.

One question: what about modifying the existing? I mean stuff that has already been built. Say, you want to redesign some highway interchange. Will we be able to demolish, redesign and plan whatever we want without actually impacting the existing interchange untill we're done and ready to execute the new plan?

Yes. The idea is that you can basically "pull" existing structures back into a new plan and then change them in the plan until you're happy.

When you apply the plan, old structures will be demolished as much as necessary and rebuilt.

Will you be able to add or subtract control points along existing roads?

Yes. 

Will there be an implementation time / road construction aspect to the game (based on the blooper at the end, I assume no, but...)?

Yes, when I get around to implement it, plans will be built gradually, also according to available budget. First it will be instant, though.

All this work on roads has me worried, though.  I'd really like Citybound to have buildings that don't have to be attached to a road to work.  Most buildings are attached to roads, to be sure, but in a national park like Yellowstone, for instance, or the river walk in San Antonio, TX and Masdar City, UAE, you can have buildings accessed by pedestrian only.  Do you see Citybound having this capability as well?

Yes. These buildings would still be attached to a 'road' which just happens to be a pedestrian path. Pathfinding will take care of the required changes in transport mode.

APSMS and Architechnid like this

Fascinating stuff.  I am overwhelmed, so I'll just be following along.  Well done!

I very much enjoyed the video, especially with the blooper at the end.

It would be interesting to build a city phase-by-phase, just like in the real world.  It would be good that each plan would be designated a phase and when the mayor has enough funds for one phase (but not the others), the entire phase would be built, while leaving the other phases unbuilt until there are enough funds to do so.  In SimCity (any edition), cities are built road-by-road, zone-by-zone without any large-scale planning in between (and are much harder to undo).

Planning mode is something all city-building simulators must have.  Well done, AE!

Yep, we seriously have SC4 successor right there, a princess is being born, and she certainly looks amazingly beautiful already! Great job AE!  Fighting, Hwaiting!

Yep, we seriously have SC4 successor right there, a princess is being born, and she certainly looks amazingly beautiful already! Great job AE!  Fighting, Hwaiting!

There is no doubt CityBound would be the true successor of SC4.

Would it, really?  Remember the SC4 Deluxe main algorithm is going to and from the workplace.  I hope this is more general.

Also, it will probably have to be trimmed back to prevent it from becoming a CPU core eater.  No matter how much multitasking is used, the main loop will probably eat at least one CPU core.

There is still a huge way to go. This game isn't even 3D yet. Just think about all those interchanges and having to add a 3rd dimension to it all.

There is still a huge way to go. This game isn't even 3D yet. Just think about all those interchanges and having to add a 3rd dimension to it all.

Well, good things come to those who wait. Of course I'm aware that there is still much to be done. But even though its not 3D yet, the implementation and features already is astounding; not to mention a very human touch added to this.. after all, I think whats special about Cb from other city buildings games.. or any game I've encountered in general, is that I think this game has something more behind it then what one would think at first.. particularly those who've been following this game since the beginning. I think that review video posted in December is seriously a good example and highlight of what I mean, and I do admire Aselm as a person as well.

Other than great expectations, is there any reason for it to be 3D?

Just a question:

When the game will be available test??  (I'm quite impatient :) )

Keep on your game anselm ;)

Just a question:

When the game will be available test??  (I'm quite impatient :) )

Keep on your game anselm ;)

I don't think there is a time-table.  The implementation team are still feeling their way in some areas as you can see from the last video.  You might be able to introduce your grandchildren to this game when it comes out.

If the game's not 3D -- even SC4, SC3000 and SC2000 had three dimensions to work on -- then I'm not buying it period.

If the game's not 3D -- even SC4, SC3000 and SC2000 had three dimensions to work on -- then I'm not buying it period.

None of the mentioned programs is truly 3D. SC4 at 2.5D would be impossible with full 3D and a free camera because it would eat processors as an appetizer.  You'd need a machine with a minimum of dual and probably quad cores, and would still run out of steam.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

This program (Citybound) is starting to look like a full city simulation with all the bells and whistles.  If it goes that far it will need a multiprocessing mainframe with a cluster of processors to run it in any kind of time with a good frame rate.