• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
anselm_eickhoff

Developer Diaries Discussion

132 posts in this topic

If you checked Reddit, you would see that Michael did a live-stream 4 days ago and wrote about what he was working on code-wise 2 days ago.

--Ocram

I am sure some of us hop over to Reddit, but I am not one of them.  I have enough to keep me going without running all over the net.

Well good news, no need to fear cause Anselm has announced his return over at Reddit. He just started doing live streams today working on coding again. 

1 person likes this

I don't suppose he mentioned how his Master's defense went?

Welcome back, and congratulations on your dip into real life.  I hope you are enjoying married life.

Your recovery and progress seems good for the period and I look forward to the integration of all this in the next few months.  One mustn't lose sight of the fact that this is a general city simulation and not just a traffic toy.

Since the thesis is for a baccalaureate, does it even get a defense in person?  Usually these academic committees only appear at the graduate school levels.

Welcome back and it's nice to see you doing some good progress with Citybound  :thumb:

WoooHOOOOOO!  The itch got a good scratch! 

Congrats on the marriage!  Marriage is a huge change in lifestyle, not to mention being in a new country.  If ever you need support, feel free to pm me. 

As for the content, the roads are looking good.  I like the realism of the forced merge. It reminded me of head bangingly awful times living in Houston, which is a good thing in this case. 

I am also wondering, on some of the more acute intersections, do you intend to procedurally generate secondary turning lanes.  For instance, in the third picture of the update, the uppermost intersection has a right turn (as one comes from the bottom moving upwards) that is akward, and would normally have a 'detached' curve of greater radius to allow for the acuteness of that angle.  (Is that clear as mud?)  Here is perhaps an example of what I'm talking about...

Anywho, that, and I'm also interested in pedestrian scrambles...

Good to see you working hard on important code. Cities Skylines i see little coming from so your project remains my biggest hope for a proper sc five.

Good to see you working hard on important code. Cities Skylines i see little coming from so your project remains my biggest hope for a proper sc five.

Skylines does have a lot going for it. The core engine shares a lot of the better theoretical elements of SC2013, but two years later with more power on a more reasonable scale. It then borrows a lot of the UI and mechanics from SC4 that were great (I'm thinking square-based zoning, pipes with a distance and powerlines.). they took the best public transport options from CiM which is the benchmark for a transport sim. And they added a couple of nice original things. the asset editor is wonderful

Were SC2013 not such a disappointment and citybound alpha sometime in the medium term (I HOPE!) i'm not going to get skylines unless it goes on megasale. but it is a good game.

I agree, I think city skylines is a spin off Simcity 2013, taking advantage of Simcity 2013's failure and accumulated the hype as a result of the issues of Simcity 2013. 

I do have big hopes for Citybound as a successor of Simcity 4. After all modding is a priority here too, and lets not forget that this isn't really created for any commercial or monetary incentive.  I'm not really convinced about Cities: Skylines, until maybe about a year or two if its still got something going for it by then.

i still think that dev blog posts should be sent to email subscribers. i forget to look, often, and then 3 weeks have gone by. I know nothing has been POSTED in those three weeks but they should start to now, right...?

i still think that dev blog posts should be sent to email subscribers. i forget to look, often, and then 3 weeks have gone by. I know nothing has been POSTED in those three weeks but they should start to now, right...?

I have a standard rota of forums that I attend daily.  Suggest you do the same.  In Firefox, I have a Simtropolis folder on my Bookmarks Toolbar, and simply select the active forums from there.

You should receive emails no later than 1 day after an update has been posted to the blog.

Here is a new dev diary!

Developer Diary #6: Zoning, Struggling, Parceling

Highlights:

zones.gif

parceling2.gif

4 people like this

Fascinating.  And seems like good progress too.

I've had my ins and out with git as well.  It is used by the wine developers and I have used their package to regress looking for a problem I was having with wine, but this is nearly two years ago, and the rust on this kind of think has an accelerated rate.  I think I'd have to swat it all up again.  Anyway, I think git is one of the nicer packaging systems around and I gather it gets heavy use in the development world.

That looks really good! I am excited that you have made such good progress, happy for your successes and hopeful that you figure out how to make Git work for you. That reminds me that I should probably start work back up on my own OcramTower project...

--Ocram

It would be interesting to see what an area zoned as both residential and industrial is.  Perhaps it might be people living inside a factory.

It would be interesting to see what an area zoned as both residential and industrial is.  Perhaps it might be people living inside a factory.

it would be a place where either could zone. where perhaps apartments are made out of abandoned factories rather than demolish and rebuild. Planning policies where either are allowed are common (at least around here). Although due to practical and social reasons they don't randomly develop in clusters around each other. They still develop in clear defined regions and zones but either could  have occured in either location. 

Commercial/residential can be an office tower that also contains apartments.  Similarly, a hotel that may contain residential suites.

Wonderful progress Anselm!  The zoning tool is simple but brilliant.  

Commercial/residential can be an office tower that also contains apartments.  Similarly, a hotel that may contain residential suites.

I would love to see commercial divided into commercial services (shops and restaurants), offices, and hotels. This way, we could have office parks grow in different places than a shopping district but have restaurants be common in the shopping district. Mixed use office/retail would have offices on the top floors of a building and shops and restaurants on the bottom floor. Low density office/retail mixed use would have the ground floor be shops or offices and 1 or 2 stories of offices on top. High density would be a skyscraper office with a mall on the lower 2-8 floors. Mixed use office/hotel would be offices and business hotels in the same building. Mixed use office/residential would be an office building with some apartments. Mixed use office/residential/retail, would also have shops and restaurants on the lower levels. Mixed use hotel/residential would be a hotel with some apartments or rather residential suites. Hotel zones could grow 5 wealth levels (stars) of business or tourist hotels with business hotels benefiting offices and tourist hotels benefiting shops and landmarks what would grow would depend on supply, demand, and desirability. Office/industry would have offices in a factory and these are pretty common. Residential/industry would be worker's housing and lofts converted from factories. Shops, offices, and hotels are functionally different and often grow in different areas of real cities.

--Ocram

1 person likes this

Excellent!  Okay, so some questions / ideas / feature requests:

I love that you are working on being able to zone away from a road.  In this way, you could build, say, a ski resort, or campground, that's still populated by (what are your people called? Can't be Kerbels or Sims, so what? Citybounders. Pips, Urboundites.  Ohh, I like urboundites.  Feel free to use or be inspired by these...) without necessarily having a road to or in the zone.

I wonder, will there be an ability to control where the primary and service entrances are?  When working on a skyscraper in the Houston Medical District, we had to think very carefully about where the service, public, and emergency room enterences were, and how they affected traffic.  In simcity 4, one of the things that I always wanted was an easy way to control how people got to the buildings.  While it could somewhat be done, it was always difficult.  And I've yet to see a citybuilder except perhaps Banished and that sort, that allows for a seperation of buildings from roads.  This would also allow for, say, a pedestrian parkway (that could functually be treated as a specialized road) as the primary public access, with a road for the service/lorries to make deliveries and such. 

I'd like to see built in the ability to create a city like Masdar City, (even if just as a mod) where there is a seperate layer for transportation, and it's not necessarily vehicular traffic.  They have personal rapid transit (PRT) pods that work more like a horizontally, quad directional elevator than a traditional road network.  (Interestingly, the same software used for the AI of the game would, at least on a conceptual level, be useful in creating the software for this type of PRT.)  Citybound could become so much more than simply a game if the principles used to provide the level of flexability with the road network and zoning are applied to weather a road network is the way to go in the first place.  Exciting to think about!

In any case, keep up the good work!

1 person likes this

i'm pretty sure Peeps (from RCT) aren't copyrighted in any way. I always love my Peeps.

Well i just played Cities Skylines. SC 2013 clone that actually makes SC 2013 look better... What a dissapointment

So it would seem the excellent progress being made here is all the more important and good to see

What a strange thing to say.  Did you get the Deluxe edition?  The enthusiasm for C:S has been phenomenal.  I got sucked in, but apparently need to upgrade my box of tricks to run it.