• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
anselm_eickhoff

Developer Diaries Discussion

132 posts in this topic

I am glad that you made traffic easier to manage (code-wise). Just wondering, what are those dots on the grass? Are they buggy cars?

--Ocram

Progress.  You are doing well.  Think about what debug tools you may want to leave to be switched on to help with your beta testing as needed.  Pretty easy to attach them to a function key as a toggle.

I'd love a short livestream sometime to see this feature and maybe a quick Q&A.  No need to actually do development in the stream, just a show and tell and ask.

investigated whether developer diaries had started since i received no notifications from youtube (didn't expect) or gmail (did expect). 

Maybe its just me but with previous weekly updates in blog form you sent out an email to your mailing list. was very convenient. Can you do that please with the developer diaries? =D

Glad to see that roads are simpler, and still as complex in function as they should be unlike other city sims which make blank intersections for every one. Many larger intersections (like your 3 lane 4 way behemoth) will have lane markings drawn to help guide the cars. Simply visualizing parts of that pathing graphic onto the intersection texture would bring all the more detail and realism. However very rarely do cars go around an intersection as a smooth circle from start to end. Often they are far more straight at the start and end and have a steeper corner (but given that it's usually crossing across a road it is still plenty shallow enough. more like the middle lane applied to the outside lane than anything else).

And do slip lanes still exist? Merging lanes? I'm sure they are but just wanting to make sure. =)

mallenwho: I asked in the email about the first developer diary if it is ok to update via email less frequently, since that takes alot of time. So I will only write an email weekly-ish, check here please for more frequent updates.

And slip lanes and merging lanes will exist again, they are just not reimplemented.

Here is the new dev diary:

Great problem solving - it's always frustrating grappling with a pesky problem, but doesn't it feel great when you find a solution?  Nice work :)

That is really cool! I am so glad that you made cars more smart and less prone to crashing/driving through each other.

--Ocram

Wow amazing! Haha, the driving looks like really aggressive first serve and first go basis. What is giving way? o.O

That is a very good advance in the reconstruction of the traffic system.  I think it is clear that a second shot at it is much better.

very interesting :)

do you need a traffic engineer on your team?

in the real world earth, traffic flows have been studied to infinite levels in every direction. have you check out the Highway Capacity Manual (HCS as known in transportation engineering throughout earth). traffic conditions are based on origin-destination concepts, lane configuration and characteristics are base on traffic flows and standards. checkout urban engineering courses, or city planning concepts, etc?

in a game, I suppose road construction by specific unit of road characteristics would have to do. but why not do as real transportation engineer do in road designs, that would be via such engineering programs as CAICE, AutoCAD, and so on. I was wondering why gamers do not design roads or any structures base on the three coordinates (longitude, latitude, height); as humans on earth we lived in a four dimension world, so time is the fourth dimension. if you want a segment of a road, can't you just sketch a line along the topography of the land and the program draws it for you? therefore you can have high hills, low valleys, and so on. you want traffic to flow in a specific direction, just use an arrow to indicate the flow direction; thus every specific unit of road would have an arrow in it, this specific road unit could be say 3 meters wide by 3 meters long by 1 meter thick. once the player put this unit on the map, he just need to turn the arrow for the direction of the traffic flow. if you want a roundabout, just have it pre-made and drop it into the place you want. if you want a signalized intersection have it pre-made and just drop it. grade separation of roads maybe more challenging, but can be done with plane and profile concepts. there seem to be much easier ways to do things?

the SimCity's concept of building facilities (shops, factories, etc) base on real world development stages is logical. that means once a player picks a say twenty storys building for the side, the computer AI will built this building base on number of workers it has for this project, amount of money it has, materials it has, and all the components to get this project done. then add in time?

sorry for hijacking your thread, but it was confusing and frustrating to me when you describe your traffic concepts. but good luck on your journey :)

Will there be stuff like left yields to right? And turning lanes? :O

Anselm, as always please correct me if your intentions have changed, or if I'm simply incorrect: Yes. Anselm is currently working on the basics of how roads work, before he worries about traffic lights, let alone functions like turn lanes.  In fact, based on the work he was doing back in Germany, you will be able to create the lanes as you desire, including merges and turn lanes. 

On a separate note: I'm jonesin' for another update.  When do you think you'll have the time Anselm?

After the massive disappointment with Simcity 2013, I am pleased that Anselm Eickhoff trying to do something that we all city builders longed for. I am absolutely convinced that with all the creative people out there something amazing can happen. Unfortunately I can not help with anything other than ideas because I do not know anything about programming. But I will follow the development of the City Bound with excitement.

At the moment Mike (over at reddit) announced that Anselm is deep into his uni thesis with a deadline looming relatively closer, so there won't be an update in a while until he finishes. 

At the moment Mike (over at reddit) announced that Anselm is deep into his uni thesis with a deadline looming relatively closer, so there won't be an update in a while until he finishes. 

Wondered about the silence.  Hope he is successful.

Hey, wait a  second?  Thesis?  Is he getting a doctorate? Masters?  Usually a baccalaureate doesn't need one.  Good luck in the defense.

Hey, wait a  second?  Thesis?  Is he getting a doctorate? Masters?  Usually a baccalaureate doesn't need one.  Good luck in the defense.

I don't know, if your curious you can read about it over at reddit. Apparently some of it was on water flow simulations. Didn't he say he mention he was doing masters or something before? Not sure.

Normally if you want to follow CB I think its best to follow the main subreddit where its more active & Mike issues some updates on his coding as well.

I prefer to stay off reddit.  But thanks for the links.

I hope AE does well in his thesis.

Completing his thesis with high grades is much more important than CB, as much as we want CB.

By the way, AE may also be busy playing Cities XXL (and studying it to see how he can incorporate aspects of that game into CB).

I don't know, if your curious you can read about it over at reddit. Apparently some of it was on water flow simulations. Didn't he say he mention he was doing masters or something before? Not sure.

Normally if you want to follow CB I think its best to follow the main subreddit where its more active & Mike issues some updates on his coding as well.

Well, my post was done about one month before yours ...

So, days go by, and I look for my Citybound fix, and I get nothin'.  Some more days go by, I check to stop the Jonesin', and still nothin'.  Drat! 

So I mosey on over to the subreddit graciously provided by Nonny Moose.  Nothing much to speak about their, either.  Pfooie.  Just thought I'd vent... 

I suspect that finishing a thesis and its defense together with a new bride are taking up all of AE's time these days.  Especially if he is also learning to be fluent in Russian.

Yes. I know.  I will blast away my sorrows in Kerbal Space Program in the meantime, but the city building void just won't quite be filled for the moment...

You should probably drop over to GOG.com and pick up Banished.  He is the link for their main fan site.  This is a very good, in depth simulation of a start from nothing village maker.

I actually have it.  Not too bad, but really difficult to run on my system after a certain point.  KSP is actually occupying most of my game time at the moment.  Think I'd get into Citybound much more if it comes out to be something close to Anselm's goals.  For a while he was doing great with the updating, and it was a good short break during the work day.  I understand, very much so, how school, a wife, and even kids can really change priorities and take up your focus.  My father always said: the hardest thing in life is balance.  

I am concerned that while you obviously are busy, you have been completely radio dead for a month and a half now. No more DevBlog, no more vlog videos, no more livestreams, no more newsletter emails. Nothing from michael either...

I don't mind whether you just decided to take a holiday, whether you're working 24/7 or whether you're actually dead, but could you please let us know which of the three is really is? that would be great! =D

EDIT: so he's doing his masters, is he... Don't use reddit so i wouldn't know anyway.

So where has Michael disappeared to, then...