• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OcramsRzr

Idea Suggestion: 4 "Normal" Wealth levels plus 2 "Unique" Wealth Levels

2 posts in this topic

I just found out that there is someone else on Reddit who had the same idea I had for wealth levels (except he divides wealth levels into 5 and I divide it into 6).

Here is my idea:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Citybound/comments/25o7xx/demand_desirability_land_value_density_stages/

Here is his idea:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Citybound/comments/2nphjl/level_of_wealth/

The idea is for there to be more than 3 wealth levels. I suggest there be 4 typical, normally available wealth levels plus poverty and Keystone Elite.

There should be 4 main wealth levels corresponding R$ with the second quintile of earners (20-40%), R$$ with the third quintile (40-60%), R$$$ with the fourth (60-80%), and R$$$$ with most of the fifth/top (80-99%) with the addition of Keystone Elite (like what is described in the Design Document for Boomtown) being the top 1%. On the other extreme, poverty (first/bottom quintile, 0-20%) would be simulated differently. Poverty (R¢) would comprise of homeless people, uneducated unskilled workers (R$) that have lost their jobs or wealth, and possibly others, depending on how deep you want to go. This would mean that there will be 6 discreet wealth levels for graphs and infographics but your procedural generation for buildings could mean that buildings could fall somewhere between this.

You might ask, how might each wealth level arrive to your city? That is a very good question. I would suggest that only R$, R$$, R$$$, and R$$$ can build in typical zones. At first, only R$, R$$, and R$$$ would move into your young/beginning city. In order to attract R$$$$, you would need to build extremely desirable areas with only R$$$ (no R$ or R$$), with high land value and access to all services at high value. R$$$$$ would require a special area for their primary residence (a large lot in a nice area to build a MegaMansion). This MegaMansion plot would only be able to be unlocked in a city which has a large R$$$ and R$$$$ population, low air pollution (and it cannot be built in any areas with any noticeable amount of pollution whether it be air, ground, or noise), and there is a limit of only one Keystone Elite MegaMansion plot per city.

However, poverty is something you do NOT want and impoverished residents will not live in your city unless the following conditions are met: no free schools, too few jobs for low-skill workers, large unemployment of R$, no keystone elite mansions in your city, and at least 1 R$ apartment that has dilapidated. Your first impoverished residents started out as R$ but through lack of money and opportunities, they end up as transients. At first, impoverished residents will only move into dilapidated R$ apartments, then they will start moving in by the droves if the conditions are right. They will clog your parks, bringing down land-value. They will build squatter hovels in the yards of dilapidated R$ housing (and replace the residents of the house or apartment as well), bringing down property values. They will eventually move into any abandoned building and move into low rent (non-dilapidated) apartments. Once you have poverty in your city, it becomes harder to lift them out of poverty and make your city better again. If players are not careful enough in the mid-game, their cities could end up looking like the slums of Mumbai. Free primary and secondary education, clean water, jobs, and at least a little bit of public assistance (maybe even free housing) can turn your city around.

Of course, if this is not in the alpha release, I would be more than happy to work on modding in a complex economy with diversity of products and a wide range of wealth levels.

EDIT: I have taken a few screenshots to demonstrate the different wealth levels.

R¢ housing impoverished residents living in squalor:

mIYxKYJ.jpg

aB1bHN4.jpg

ZONy1cq.jpg

Q2u1dEp.png

JB4K9P9.png

FuRlT58.png

1CsOt5n.png

R$ housing poor residents living modestly:

DBtCyWr.jpg

dsRYy9l.jpg

PliCvqH.jpg

Gkhnku0.jpg

uTsX01s.jpg

eXEBjX9.jpg

R$$ housing middle-class residents living comfortably:

HgW9Sqi.jpg

GllvMQh.jpg

iCo2dr7.jpg

y20KX5z.jpg

sjMXPOL.jpg

R$$$ housing wealthy residents living luxuriously:

qhLx4a2.jpg

HD01O9J.jpg

lIXss1l.jpg

zkJkmC7.jpg

jEL3p2K.jpg

R$$$$ housing ultra-wealthy residents living fabulously luxuriously:

zLrweEg.jpg

kqM2f6m.jpg

NXTAmkj.jpg

Keystone Elite R$$$$$ mansion with ultra-wealthy residents living fabulously luxuriously:

3BgZHco.jpg

You could take this a few steps further by also incorporating the effects that gentrification would have on a city (as in a city that sees rapid economic expansion in and a greater quantity of higher tier commercial or industrial jobs). So perhaps a rapid influx of wealthier households drives up property values, but reduces the happiness of households of lower economic levels due to increased rent, expensive commercial outlets, loss of cultural diversity, etc. Additionally, a greater long-term happiness could come from policies enacted by a mayor that increase the upward mobility of the city's citizens, which could come from accessible education measures, tax breaks on lower class households, or what have you.

These ideas would need some fleshing out, of course.