• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Hamish

Best Picture Competition

3,202 posts in this topic

Well. I guess I'll have to just refresh the page every few minutes since I asked to be the next contender and got jipped. Whatever though.

The way these usually work is first come, first serve, after the current round is over; no queuing up, sorry.

Tonraq - 3

TekindusT - 3

Form over photoshop, sorry tonraq.

I do remember that situation though, I think it was called "Musical Chairs" :P

I think the demand would wane after a few days however, when thematic contests open, and further adjustments were set in the competition. It's up to Ham, David and Benny though. :P

Well. I guess I'll have to just refresh the page every few minutes since I asked to be the next contender and got jipped. Whatever though.

Sorry daTS, just to clarify on the overview/guidelines, this thread in particular is a 'first come, first serve' situation. You'll definitely have to be vigilant and enter a picture just after the round is over.

I do remember that situation though, I think it was called "Musical Chairs" :P

I think the demand would wane after a few days however, when thematic contests open, and further adjustments were set in the competition. It's up to Ham, David and Benny though. :P

Right now, it's still a matter of demand. If it goes on the up and up, there will be more comps open.

-- I'd hate to sound like a broken record, but it might be a good idea to refrain from flooding the thread with comments that have nothing to do with the pictures or competition at hand. I'm trying to not do said thing, but I just wanted to clarify a few things ;)

TekindusT

panorama.jpg

VS.

Tonraq

04.png

wwetom1 likes this

I really like the photoediting and night shot

Tonraq - 2

TekindusT - 0

I was planning on joining, but since you had already asked before me i'll let you have the next round. Hopefully once you enter, we can go head-to-head once I put the finishing touches on an image i'm working on.

Again, please do these things privately. This has nothing to do with the process of voting and will distract users from doing that. Also, please don't give any reps. I order to keep the voting objective we could consider this as an incentive to vote for your pic so these get +1 rep. Please keep it clean and objective. 

Of course, however, you can also write why you voted for which picture.

Tonraq-5

Ln X- 2

Still bedazzled by the fireworks!

Konstantinll- I don't think you're supposed to submit yet. The rules say a new picture can only be submitted until after one of the two competitors from the last round reaches 10.

@KonstantiniII: you have to wait intill the vote is over and then you have to hurry to post your image :)

My water stadium didn't win :( 

It's hard to compete with Tonraq, I geuess he'll be the winner for few more rounds :P

I like both images very much, Tonraq had made a great effort in making the city and with the photoshop effects 

Ln X is also great, he didn't even miss the small details that you usually forget when placing huge skyscraper next to each other.

It is really hard to compare between these two images, each have it's own special things.

So I'm not going to vote for now :)

Tonraq -5

Ln X      -2

Tonraq - 10

Ln X. - 2

Another win by Tonraq (Great photo editing btw. Beautiful shot!)

Here's mine. Although I'm a huge advocate of Photo Editing, I wanted to show off just how much is possible with SimCity 4, proving that you can make a beautiful city WITHOUT photoshop. :D So, without further delay, I present to you Downtown Illium City, with the only photo edit being the name. The rest is all real, raw and totally ingame shots. :D

daTS [Warning: Large Mosaic Picture, click for FULL VIEW]
cbd_completelarge_225.jpg

vs

Tonraq
04.png

Fox likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By korver
      Full size version (~4MB) of the GIF on the first comment.

Please keep in mind that a time lapse animation was one of the official suggested ideas for this challenge on the forum thread.
      An animated GIF displaying my recreation of the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas in Meteora, Greece along with some of the surrounding scenery.  Wanting to feel closer to heaven, the locals would build their monasteries high in the sky, perched precariously on the edge of sheer granite rock cliffs - truly an amazing sight to behold.
      One of the frames in this picture (fall) was originally featured in my "Greece - Part II" update in my CJ, True Earth, so for this GIF I decided to showcase Meteora in its entirety with Spring, Summer, and Winter frames as well. Each frame showcases extensive custom lotting, intricate MMPing, and custom content creation (various terrain mods created for this picture + a number of new MMPs made/modded heavily)
      -
      The first frame starts off with summer in Meteora. Predictably, this time is the most popular season for tourists to come visit Meteora. The harvest season that begins in late summer is a big attraction as well for tourists.
      The second frame displays some of Meteora's famous fall foliage. Oaks and maples among others will come alive, displaying various shades of red, orange, and yellow. This coupled with the much more comfortable temperatures makes it a great time to come visit.
      The third frame shows off Meteora blanketed under a layer of snow in the midst of a snowfall. Despite Meteora's relatively close proximity to the Ioanian and Aegean Seas, it's just high enough in the mountains (1,000-2,000 feet above sea level) to receive regular snow in the winter. Additionally, the mountains will essentially "block out" gusts from the sea, allowing for temperatures to vary wildly. For those wanting to visit Meteora in the wintertime, be prepared for frigid temperatures and constant frost.
      Before looping, the fourth and final frame shows Meteora in the spring. The cold winters often delay Springtime for a bit, but when it comes it can truly be quite beautiful. Be prepared for fog/rain showers however, a common site during this time of the year.
    • By _Michael
      Entered the Hall of Fame from the Best Picture Competition. December 5th, 2016. [Larger Resolution] 2.4 MB
    • By Cyclone Boom
      Hey everyone,
      With the conclusion of the NAM Showcase, it saw the end of the second ST Challenges season. Now on a break, we’d like to welcome your suggestions and ideas. How can they be improved for the next season? What went well, and what would make the events even more fun and engaging?
      We’ve got a few ideas of our own, but specifically we’d like hear your thoughts on:

The Challenges
      - New theme ideas: Please post in the "Ideas Bank" topic, where ideas can be collected.
      - More challenge types -- E.g. Gameplay tasks, such as population or using / creating certain plugins.
      - User-hosted events: Should these be brought back in some form?
        Submissions
      - Would it help to raise the image size limit (e.g. to 3 MB per image)?
      - Always allow more than one image? Like the NAM Showcase allowing 3 per author.
      - Length of the submission / voting periods for the challenge types.
        Voting
      - Thoughts on the current method of voting.
      - Should authors be made anonymous until after voting? They could be changed to a "placeholder" account before being revealed.
        Ranking System
      - Has it worked well so far?
      - Any small tweaks?
        Rep Prizes
      - Change amounts awarded?
      - Expand the places which gain rep (e.g. top 5 or 10)?
      - Also for the Best Picture Comp -- Rep for round wins + entering the Hall of Fame?
        Scheduling
      - How frequently should they run: Is the balance right?
      - Run more simultaneous challenges?
      - Use the calendar to plan the events a few weeks in advance? Would this make it easier to prepare for entries?  
      Please also let us know any other suggestions you have.
      These events aren’t possible without your participation, so we’d like to give you chance to shape their next direction.
      Thanks!
      ~The Challenges Team
    • By rathefalcon
      Full-sized image in the first comment.
      Lamar Valley, in the northeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, USA. Aside from US Highway 212 (which runs along the length of the valley) and a few campgrounds and trails, the valley is relatively untouched by human activity. This makes it a wildlife-rich region, boasting herds of large mammals such as Elk (pictured here), Bison, and Pronghorn Antelope. Bears and packs of wolves also frequent the area. These fauna, in addition to stunning panoramic views, make Lamar Valley a popular stop for tourists seeking to view wildlife and connect with nature.
      My submission seeks to capture the beauty of this region, showcasing the expansive grasslands bordered by rows of evergreen trees, the scrub brush dotting the slopes, and of course the meandering Lamar River that traverses the valley and supports its abundant plant and animal life.
    • By MushyMushy
      This was always one of my favorite Maxis industrials because it looks pretty decent, however its vanilla lots did it no justice at all!
      I present to you Willmott Widget Assembly Remastered! WWA has been remade into a stage 3 I-M Anchor lot (instead of an Outbuilding) and had some of its stats tweaked slightly so it is more-or-less on-par with other Maxis I-M Anchors of similar size.
      ---
      The lot features almost entirely custom-made props by me, which includes a perimeter fence, long-haul trucks, employee and company cars, as well as some inner-city semi trucks. The props have been made to appear more "natural" - people are not always very compelled to park perfectly! I also used a technique to make props that sit in the shadows of the two buildings actually have shadows. Something I've always hated about props in this game is how they are not affected by shadows, so I more-or-less circumvented that issue. Lastly, the props included with this set are 100% compatible with various darker-night mods because they have no lighting effects (normal for props).
      This lot also has a fully custom base texture set. Also, before someone comments about it, the lot has so many large-ish empty areas because the long-haul trucks and the inner-city trucks need space to maneuver. American semi trucks are not known for having very good turning radii!
      ---
      Buggi's cheats:
      - Under the building menu it will be listed as "MM Willmott Widget Assembly."
      ---
      Main Stats:
      - Stage 3 I-M Anchor
      - 6x5 Lot (Same as the Outbuilding lot)
      - 100 I-M jobs
      - All other stats are either the same or very close to the original building's stats.
      ---
      Dependencies:
      Not many of these because I made most of the props!
      - LRM v4.0 (you don't need the overrides if you don't want them, I'm only using light towers from the prop pack part) - http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27200-light-replacement-mod-lrm-v40-mega-pack/
      - BSCMegaProps JES Vol01 (v1.0) - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=342