• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
The Pennsylvania Turnpike

Small Cities with skyscrapers

45 posts in this topic

The North Dakota State Capitol in Bismarck is one of a few skyscraper state capitols in the U.S.  It is also that state's tallest building.

North-Dakota-capitol-building1.jpg

TekindusT likes this

What about Des Moines Iowa? It has a skyline that can be seen for miles and in my opinion one of the most beautiful. 

ZSZrAQm.jpg

Des Moines hardly qualifies as a small city.  Wikipedia states that the city has a population of 203,433 and its metropolitan area's population is 611,549.  For comparison, Lincoln, Nebraska, which has a skyscraper state capitol, has a population of 258,379 and its metro area has 302,157.  Speaking of that, below is the skyscraper Nebraska State Capitol, designed by Bertram Goodhue:

Nebraska_State_Capitol_from_W_2.JPG

Tallahassee, Florida has 181,376 inhabitants and a metro population of 375,751 and has a skyscraper state capitol:

4859049475_5f5de50c95_o.jpg

I should also mention Baton Rouge, Louisiana, population of 228,895, a metro population of 820,159 and the tallest state capitol of all:

947px-Louisiana_State_Capitol_Building.j

mrsmartman and TekindusT like this

Gold Coast is hardly a small city.  It has a population of 527,828.  Surfer's Paradise is a district of Gold Coast, which makes it no different than Venice, California, which is a part of Los Angeles or Bronx, New York, which is part of New York City.

Compdude787 likes this

My town Eugene Oregon has a small skyline for the population (400,000 in the metro area). Oregon's largest city Portland also has a smaller skyline for being a city of 2.5 million (metro area).  

Pic 1: Eugene 

Pic 2: Portland

Eugene_skyline_crop.jpg

Portland_and_Mt_Hood.jpg

jackson-skyline.jpg?w=775

Jackson, Michigan is definitely a candidate for this topic. It has a slightly declining population of 33,000 and a MSA of 159,000, and still manages to boast a skyline, this place is home to the Michigan state prison and north onto Brooklyn, MI shows the International Speedway.

(I also actually live here :P)

Lol, does this count? Sandusky has a population of about 25,000; I used to see this from the highway over Sandusky Bay on my trips between Toledo and Cleveland when I lived in Ohio.
_____

skyline_night_wallpaper1.thumb.jpg.9e186d129853938e725bf1f7f1277463.jpg

My real choice is  Bartlesville, Oklahoma; population 36,000

Bartlesville.jpg.1cce05d37e74ef971cb683199a53c325.jpg

Evansville, IN has a decent skyline for its size. The city is about 120,000, with the metropolitan area claiming to be 314,000 (I'd argue against that metro figure though, since Evansville sits in the middle of Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis, and that number probably includes all the area halfway between each of those cities, a lot of space).

Anyway:

xUwYhJV.png

Fun fact: the white building on the far right is the tallest building, it's essentially abandoned, and it used to be the HQ of Old National Bank, who moved to that new building in the middle on the waterfront.

Well, the Spanish city of Benidorm, with a population of only 66642 is the city in the world with most skyscrapers per habitant in the world, and has 43 buildings taller than 80 metres, and some of them being close to 200 metres.

a4882a1ed9e4ffdc56015a6b64ae770d

panoramica.jpg

It's interesting to note that some french cities in the 60's wanted some modernity in their old city centre... I can give the example of Nancy, where I live, which has only 100k citizens and has is own "little manhattan" 

NancycentreEst.jpg

l-ouverture-des-cahiers-de-doleances-s-i

French scale but the highest tower (on the left side) is around 100m tall.