Sign in to follow this  
SpookyZalost

Return of the help desk?

So I've noticed a lot of people coming into the chat and they aren't getting help when they ask for it, and are usually ignored.

You see a while back there used to be this great place called the help desk that people could go to for help!
Finding mods, game glitch problems, any kind of problem really, even the mutl-core problem sc4 has on newer systems, it didn't even have to be simcity related and you still got help!

It would be great if it could be brought back, If you support this, show your support, let us know!

We want to bring it back, and to all the people who need help, we want to help you guys too!

so please show your support in bringing back this useful chat, we need your support so we can support you!

From what I've heard from the fellows at Simmania, help desk was really important to those who contributed to it. So yes, I support the return of the Help Desk.

(Great Post #1! :P)

Sure, there are people who don't get the help they want. There is also plenty of people who do. I'm in the chat room every day, and see both sides. I can't help everyone who needs it because I don't know the solution to every problem, and for this reason I don't always chime in. I don't expect 100% of people to get the help they need, even with a help desk.

Having a room specifically for help was useful at times, but there was a lot of time where it was not needed and people would create/use the room just to disassociate themselves from the rest of the chat room, use the "help desk" label, and not actually have any intentions to help people.

While that was true to some degree, we still tried our best to help people, and disassociate is not exatly the right word, it was a sub-community, one that was thriving on helping others, and working together as a whole, but lets leave debates away from here for now, to those who follow my post, Show your support, help us bring the helpdesk back, so we can better help people who really need it, and bring back a kind and helpful community!

I can also argue the fact that most of the time its hared to even get a word in- we all have certain people we associate with- I'm now that popular in regular chat and 100% of the time in HD we helped people- thats because we have the staff to do it- even if no help was needed we still used it to just chat thats true- thing is in order to even be able to chat some of us need to have a different place to go where we are more able to be seen and heard- half the time I'm invisable it seems, yet while in Help Desk I noticed that I was excepted for who I was and treated with respect. I am often ridiculed in reglar cat for my intrest in Titanic- And in Help Desk was an equal- When people needed help they got it everytime.

The idea that people can get help in the Social Lounge is a complete joke. The Help Desk removal was a terrible moderating decision and has lead to the chat room being mostly dead. I wouldn't be the player I am today if it weren't for the Help Desk, I can only imagine how lost some newer players feel when they enter chat now and get completely ignored by people discussing some inane drivel in the Social Lounge.

The other side of the spectrum is necessary. If there is no need to debate, there would be no need for this thread, or to gather support.

As far as I'm aware, the help desk was never banned per se, but certain restrictions had to be placed on it due to it being abused. It was restricted (as per ) so that only certain trustworthy members were given the right to create the room, and those members stopped showing up.

which would mean that new members would need to be elected yes? to maintain the helpdesk when the older members decided to rest.

it was "abused" I suppose under some views, but it's something that is needed, and should be brought back!

it is my understanding that the trusted users moved on, and as such, the HD needs new people to maintain it, I'm sure if you ask some of them, they will agree that a trusted user change would be doable, I'm sure they would be more than happy to support someone they feel is trustworthy.

From what I remember, the abuse was not even caused by regular HD people. I never saw any misuse of HD and I spent almost every night there for about a year.

As with SZ, I think it could be time to rewrite the list. Leave the first one remaining, and let him either pick or elect users to be on that list.

Also note, although I wasn't part of the Help Desk, I am just arguing on the behalf of my comrades. So really, I don't have much to argue atm :P.

Most of us HD staff are veterans of ST- one might argue that givwen we have the experience on the site that we should be able to have HD returned to us- Plus we followed the rules closely and at no time did really anything occur that would be against the rules

the main issue was that during the end of the help desk, there was an increase in people who only wanted to cause trouble, and it was hard for us to manage due to the lack of tools available, especially when we couldn't ask for help either due to a lack of it being available.

and one person would open it and leave it be- that was put to a stop with the list- yet the list- one might argue- is no longer valid given 3 of the members are no longer active on ST. meaning a new list would be needed.

what is needed is not a list, but for a help desk mod to be put into position, someone who cares about the hd, and wants to help regardless of the outcome, the list only limits the hd's ability to exist really, especially now.

95% of the time I join the Lounge, I get all the help I need and sometimes more than I was looking for.  This doesn't go to say that I get answers to my questions the first time I ask, though.  

Splitting the chat rooms in two+ just cut your chances of getting your question answered.

Well, I hope the moderators give some serious consideration to HD. I would think that most of us here want the SC4 community to flourish for years to come, and for that to be possible a knowledgeable player base is needed. People soon drift away from SC4 if they don't understand how to get more out of it and push the game to its limits. Without HD it is very difficult for people to get one on one help with people who are willing to help in the moment. People don't go to the social lobby to help others, whereas anyone entering HD either needs help or is willing to help. Will there be sometime be downtime where no one is being helped, quite likely, but that doesn't negate the overall value of HD. I believe Simtropolis, as the foremost SimCity site has a moral obligation to help new players and seek to improve the skills of existing players.

In fact for the Sim City series to stay alive providing quick access to resources like the help desk is need- shorts on fire is wrong in an aspect to his arguement- we often had people who tryed to get help in the main lounge only to be denigned the help- the person who needed help got it everytime from us. They also thanked us for our service.

There doesn't need to be a dedicated help desk for people to be able to help others.

Reading recent logs I've seen that far too many times people come in with questions only to be ignored. Having a separate room or committee would not solve this.

We haven't said that the Help Desk can not exist, but I'd rather see the need arise though people requiring help and needing a better place to talk about it. The biggest problem I saw with the previous Help Desk was that it removed the people that were willing to help from where new members were asking for it, in the social lounge. New members not knowing where to go to get proper help meant that most of the time the help desk had no one needing help, which turned it into just another unmoderated room, which sometimes got out of hand, and when people came in with questions they were ignored. 

If people really want to help others out, then lets see an improvement on the rate of new members receiving help in chat, if this increases then we can look at was to maintain it. This may be through the Help Desk, or other services. 

There doesn't need to be a dedicated help desk for people to be able to help others.

Reading recent logs I've seen that far too many times people come in with questions only to be ignored. Having a separate room or committee would not solve this.

We haven't said that the Help Desk can not exist, but I'd rather see the need arise though people requiring help and needing a better place to talk about it. The biggest problem I saw with the previous Help Desk was that it removed the people that were willing to help from where new members were asking for it, in the social lounge. New members not knowing where to go to get proper help meant that most of the time the help desk had no one needing help, which turned it into just another unmoderated room, which sometimes got out of hand, and when people came in with questions they were ignored. 

If people really want to help others out, then lets see an improvement on the rate of new members receiving help in chat, if this increases then we can look at was to maintain it. This may be through the Help Desk, or other services. 

I disagree- most of the time we were busy helping others with issues- if peple in lounge dmn't want to help then I see it nessisary to have a HD- I've observd that 75% of questions for help go unanswered- I'm usually the only one who does.

The actions of moderators has however led to help not being provided anywhere. The HD crowd have been driven away altogether by draconian rules and pressure on approved users from ST moderators to not open HD.  There was never any confusion among new users where to go for help in chat. A room labeled Help Desk is rather obvious.

while I respect what you see now hamish, it's still a problem that the social lounge is just that, a social area, and amongst all the discussions, and people talking, a little guy asking for help can easily get lost in the commotion, and of course there are those who aren't around who want to help, I still feel that the help desk, if nothing else, needs to have the list revised with more active users, so that it can be re-opneed and put back into service.

With the lounge being meant for general purpose chat that is why we had help desk- to do exactly as the room was called- Help people- thats what We did- and often got better SC players and members who stuck around on the site- I often get messages from people who would turn to us for help actully needing help. So I still act as a help desk of sorts do to the fact that I get these messages. So in essance given I get messages from people seeking help who can't seen to get it when they need it in the lounge it only makes scence to have a help desk.

it's funny I still get people referred to be for tech related help via pm through this site, from other people who were around in the HD days, it's unusual but it just goes to show the effect it had on people.

ya- same situation with me- a recent one I got stated that the person needed help on BATing- I provided that hel;p- so it only makes more sence to have a HD given that people turn to the former HD staff for help.