Sign in to follow this  
Haljackey

Insane Water Pollution Bug

Hey guys I have encountered a problem in SC4 that I have never experienced before. Insane water pollution out of nowhere:

Click image to see full size:

ZZnFSGA.jpg

It just came suddenly too:

PIuAetP.jpg

I checked everything and cannot determine the source. Water treatment plants get rid of about 1% of the pollution. (The small drop in pollution in the graph show me plopping an extra treatment plant.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Nuke your entire city, run the simulator for a year, then check to see if the pollution is gone. If it is, you've plopped/grew something that spews a ridiculous amount of water pollution OR reduces water pollution by such a massive amount that numbers rolled over. You can then reload the city and slowly narrow down the cause.

If that doesn't work, the problem could be hardbaked into the save file. If it is, there's little to be done - perhaps plop a lot that reduces water pollution by a hideously large number. Might work, might not. Thankfully, of all the very bad things to have hardbaked into a save file, water pollution is one of least concern UNLESS it spreads across the entire tile (Water pump shut downs).

^ As usual good advice here. Look at the perfectly circular area that'a affected - that would be the effect radius of the lot in question. If you remember something pollution-related (most likely a cheat lot reducing pollutio by a ridiculous amount) you put in the centre of that circle, then you're likely to have your culprit. Should you find anything, please let us know. We might have to add a warning to the corresponding download or take it off the STEX entirely.

I would guess that your best bet here would be to mod an existing water treatment plant, and experiment with the second element in the property arrays "Pollution at center" and "Pollution at outer edge of circle".  You may have to give these values positive numbers - possibly large positive ones - to get rid of your pollution.  You may also have to adjust the second number in "Pollution radius".

I think it's the airports. The plaza type pieces that act as the actual airport. They are all very close to eachother, which would explain the high contrast of pollution. I would try demolishing, and running the simulation for a while. I bet all my simoleans  this is the cause.

EDIT:

Well I just watched the part in episode 54 where you demo everything... No dice huh? I'm stumped, unless it's coming from the closest connection? But pollution doesn't travel does it?

I think it's the airports. The plaza type pieces that act as the actual airport. They are all very close to eachother, which would explain the high contract of pollution. I would try demolishing, and running the simulation for a while. I bet all my simoleans  this is the cause.

You are about to lose all your simoleons, my friend.

No normal lot in the game will cause that much pollution.

Wow! Not everyday you see a well know pro asking for help.  :O  Anyways back to the problem, I have had this problem about 2 years ago. I had just uninstalled a water treatment plant, all of a sudden I got messages for Water Treatment Plants and had extreme pollution everywhere. I did not have many mods or cities at the time so I simply uninstalled Simcity 4 and Re-installed it. Problem Solved. That could be something that may be causing this problem. However, that was 1 thing, that might not be the problem. 

--Themaroonday

When I used the hole diggers (with the cheat sealevel) and use the street to lower the area to create water. Then i do have these same problemens if i dont pause the game. Dont aks me why

I also had a similar problem a few years ago, with the , a set of grownable high wealth buildings. If you destroy one of those buildings or get replaced by an another one, it sets off a glitch where air pollution, water pollution, and garbage reach extreme levels, to the point where it's just impossible to continue building because everyone moves away and nobody want to come back. I thought I had a virus corrupting the game, but later I notice that I had the problem only in developed cities. But the worse of all is that their creator knew that problem and he couldn't fix it. Just don't upload it at all!

According to the graph I have 20,000 units of water pollution. Today I plopped the Black Hole water treatment plant which cleans 300,000 units of water pollution. It barely made a dent in my water pollution chart, even with 3 of them. In addition the water pollution graph has not changed (still red everywhere).

Would reinstalling SC4 really help fix the issue? Or it is possible to have someone mod a water treatment plant to treat like 999,999,999 units of water pollution?

To me, this does sound like a massive glitch has hit your city. If a water treatment plant that can clean up 300,000 units of water and your water pollution graph stating that there is 20,000 units and barely makes a change, then it does sound like you may have to restart your city.

I would probably just start another city in the background and try to see if the glitch reappears. If so, then you either may have a plugin that may have the water pollution glitch that Terring talked about or conflicting plugins. 

You could also clear out any growable lots you have in your plugins folder if you're in the same situation that Terring was in. Since your city does have lots of redevelopment, it could have been a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. 

If you reach the point where you have to reinstall SimCity 4, then that's up to you. If it's just a plugin, then get a drink, sit at your computer desk, and start clearing out any growable/plopable lots in your plugins folder that could be part of the problem. 

To me, this does sound like a massive glitch has hit your city. If a water treatment plant that can clean up 300,000 units of water and your water pollution graph stating that there is 20,000 units and barely makes a change, then it does sound like you may have to restart your city.

I wouldn't try this until all else has failed.  Such glitches often happen when certain properties switch from positive to negative or vice versa.  That's why I made the suggestions in above, which I think are most likely to solve the problem.  The values of the properties may need some tweaking, though, so Haljackey, I suggest that you experiment with modifying your Black Hole plant until you get the proper results.  Doing so requires only elementary use of Ilive's Reader (and a knowledge of hexadecimal), so it should be very simple to do.  If you don't know hex, then as a start, I'd recommend taking the first two properties I mentioned in my post and changing the first 'F' to a '7'.  That will flip the polarity of the pollution effect; I've seen such a flip fix similar problems before.

Here's exactly what happened when I tried using the back hole water treatment plants (beginning of the video)

Thanks for the link Z, I'll try the Water Purification plant next. My knowledge modifying BATs is nearly nonexistent, so I do hope this or reinstalling the game does the trick.

I would rather not start a new city as this is a video series I have poured a lot and time and effort into. Even if I cannot ever fix the bug, I'll press on, making the area a large park or something :P

According to the graph I have 20,000 units of water pollution. Today I plopped the Black Hole water treatment plant which cleans 300,000 units of water pollution. It barely made a dent in my water pollution chart, even with 3 of them. In addition the water pollution graph has not changed (still red everywhere).

Would reinstalling SC4 really help fix the issue? Or it is possible to have someone mod a water treatment plant to treat like 999,999,999 units of water pollution?

The reason of the almost non existent pollution reduction is that this water treatment plant does indeed produce 300'000 units of water but cleans only 500 units of water pollution. You would need about 40 of these plants to get rid of the pollution altogether.

I'd either go with the suggestion of z1 and download the water purification plant he refers to (which will clean 5000 units at its center and 250 units at the edge of a 100 tile radius), or you may also try the version 1, which cleans 10'000 units of water pollution over the whole map.

Hope this helps :)

Well, you could try this oldie pair of mine, but you need both lots, the water lot first.

The water plant supplies the fuel for the power plant, and the power plant supply a lot of power and eats pollution over a large tile radius.

The reason of the almost non existent pollution reduction is that this water treatment plant does indeed produce 300'000 units of water but cleans only 500 units of water pollution. You would need about 40 of these plants to get rid of the pollution altogether.

I'd either go with the suggestion of z1 and download the water purification plant he refers to (which will clean 5000 units at its center and 250 units at the edge of a 100 tile radius), or you may also try the version 1, which cleans 10'000 units of water pollution over the whole map.

Hope this helps :)

It did! Plopping 4 of these plants got rid of water pollution on the graph, but it does still show on the data views. I'm assuming it would take a while for that to all go down.

Video showing me fixing it. Skip to about 13 mins in.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone! Hopefully things will start to clear up now :golly:

Hey guys I wanted to let you know that the problem has now been completely resolved. Thanks so much for your help!

Watch it fade away in the opening 2 minutes of this vid. So satisfying! :D

Hal, did you ever find out what the cause of the pollution was?

Amazing, by the way.  By my calculation you must have created something like 30 hours of video.  I think that qualifies you as a producer.

do you have to leave the lots there or can they be removed? if so try the program DatGen and its plugin EasyTweaker, its older but easily allows tweaking lots pollution (water and air) affects and radius's,

i have made an air pollution cleaner with lot editor and then edited so it removes ALL air pollution except smog from cars (later found someway to remove smog, either it was NAM or another plugin)

Hey guys I have encountered a problem in SC4 that I have never experienced before. Insane water pollution out of nowhere:

Click image to see full size:

ZZnFSGA.jpg

It just came suddenly too:

PIuAetP.jpg

I checked everything and cannot determine the source. Water treatment plants get rid of about 1% of the pollution. (The small drop in pollution in the graph show me plopping an extra treatment plant.)

Any help would be appreciated!

wait... what's that large oval tree icon (higher than mayor tools). where you downloaded it?