Sign in to follow this  
exi123

Changing street-side grass textures?

Hello everyone,

when building streets in low density areas theres always this grassy texture between the the sidewalk and the street itself. It seems to have 4 different variants:

- no wealth

- low wealth

- med wealth

- high wealth.

Is there an easy way to get only one texture shown for low, med and high wealth areas? I took a look in the simcity3.dat with the reader and saw that every texture has this 4 variants. To overwrite all these (NAM streetparts included) would mean that i have to override thousands of texture fsh's manually. Is there a way to do it easyier?

Not really. You have to override all textures manually, but you can see a logic behind the IID organisation. The key part is in the seventh digit, which is:

0: for no wealth

1: for low wealth, low density

2: for medium wealth, low density

3: for high wealth, low density

4: for low wealth, medium/high density

5: for medium wealth, medium/high density

6: for high wealth, medium/high density

7: for farmland

With some NAM items, this step is repeated from 8 to F (remember, hexadecimal numbers).

What you can do is copy all the no wealth textures to a DAT file and clone the files three times in the reader, each copy with an IID increment of 10. This will probably do what you want to achieve. Be sure it loads after all other relevant texture mods.

Best,
Maarten

I use Paeng's Texture Changer and I can get it to override almost every single wealth level and keep it all uniform.  I use a midwealth override, but you can choose one that suits your needs, he has it set up to do basic overrides or a combination of 2 of the 3 available, it's all in the readme... Just search Paeng on the STEX and peruse his entire catalogue, it's some truly wonderful stuff!

Mh, is there a way to it automatically file 4 file?

Like: Find all instances with ******0*, copy them to xy.dat and increase the id by 10 or 20? I can't find an option in the reader which can do this... but i never did somthing lika that before :(

IIRC, you can use a question mark as a wildcard character when searching for things in the Reader.  So you would search for ??????0?.  I might be confusing it with something else though.

you can't edit the side of the street.

Sure you can.  Sidewalk mods, for example:

sandstone1ka1.jpg

...and the wealth textures can be changed too.  Almost all textures in SC4 are override-able.

you can't edit the side of the street.

Sure you can.  Sidewalk mods, for example:

sandstone1ka1.jpg

...and the wealth textures can be changed too.  Almost all textures in SC4 are override-able.

you edited the sidewalk! you can edit it yourself. but if you uploaded the file in STEX. we can edit our sidewalk.

That's my best right Now.

Meeston/LegoManilaShow

Footpaths are trivial to edit because they're independent of all other game assets.

The grass in the Nature Strips is baked into the texture used for the roads, meaning you have to modify the road texture to modify the grass, there's no generic grass texture you can override.

The best way to make the nature strip grass consistent would be to copy the texture used for the wealth level that has the grass you want into new files overriding the others.

You open up your Terrain Mod texture file(s) in the Reader and export the desired textures as PNGs (there's a little button).  It will never blend seamlessly because there are so many textures in terrain mods, but you can come close.

(This is why I use the original Columbus mod...it already blends with the Maxis wealth textures pretty well)

Thanks, well, I only have 3 textures to deal with, the pale green along roads, the sandstone from Paeng's texture changer, and my terrain mod. I have a grass background I got working again that's already pretty seamless so edges of the map and when transparent tiles show through, you can hardly tell. With the IRM and it's fillers, I've been able to create seamless networks. Next step I'm polishing my lotting skills and I'll start laying down uniform textures among all lots I download, getting all base textures, the parking lots and trees to all be uniform. I'm finally about ready to start CJing

Maybe I'm getting too far off topic, but it's still about textures and such, but how important do you think it is to have different textures among the wealth classes? I'm about to start my fourth and final plugins folder and am trying to decide to have one texture for all industrial lots, parking lots, plaza textures. I definitely can't have differences like the side walk changing 3 times in 200 ft because a couple medium wealth business are next to a high wealth. I could really use some general feedback that if all the lots in my regions had the same textures for everything. For example.... I relotted everything to have only one type of parking textures, SHK all around, and only sandstone plaza textures, using only giraffe and CP trees, and so on. I strive for realism, but would that look too manufactured to accomplish total realism? Questions and comments welcome, thanks :D

You're a lot more ambitious than me when it comes to lotting.  That must have been a lot of work.

If you can come up with good textures that suit all wealths, then I say go for it.  Most sidewalk mods already do this.  But keep in mind what Jdenm8 said: if you want to change the grass too, it's part of the base road texture, so you'd have to edit every single road texture.

Oh I understand that one, but one of my most used and basic fillers are the SFBT diagonals, which blend just right with it. They're really fantastic lots. SFBT are awesome!!

Yeah I use my sidewalk mods to change to a uniform style. I tried doing it wealth classed, but was getting strange patched sidewalks. Paeng's mod is sweet!!

Cool, your opinion is greatly appreciated. I've been playing off and on for the past decade, and every time I get better at understanding the game and adding mods, but also at creating something I've been striving for years to accomplish. I love this game but more for the community that comes with modding and experimenting. The encouragement and support here is exemplary! I don't think I have the talent for batting, but I've been getting pretty good at lotting and want to contribute to the whole, since it's helped bring me hours of enjoyment and community