Sign in to follow this  
oppie

Bias against SimCity 2013

I don't know where else to bring this up, so I'll do it here.

Why I understand that a lot of the long-time members here are disappointed with SimCity 2013 and Maxis/EA, I've noticed that the articles on the front page (which I think should be objective, not an opinion piece by one author) have a pretty clear bias against the game.

The most recent case is this news post (http://www.simtropolis.com/news/_/simcity-2013/ea-takes-20-cut-from-new-red-cross-dlc-for-charity-r563) where the headline "EA Takes 20% Cut From New Red Cross DLC-For-Charity" does not reflect the content or the spirit of the article it links to at all - it's a very obvious jab at the only thing that might be framed as questionable about this specific DLC. Another example is this post (http://www.simtropolis.com/news/_/simcity-2013/simcity-2013-earns-a-spot-among-the-most-disappointing-games-of-this-generation-r560) which originally had the title from the article it linked to changed to "The WORST games of this generation" (instead of disappointing) until someone called the author out on it.

Once again, while I accept that many people here are biased against the game and while I'll defend anyone's right to criticize it, in my opinion front page news posts should reflect the actual news objectively rather than putting the author's personal spin on it (which I think would be rather tacky).

People who post articles on the front page should try to be unbiased with their titles.  However, when such a mistake as SC2013 happens it is hard to be objective.  If you step back into all the hype, it became clear that what was being talked about was not just a rewind of SC but a totally new game.

There is no comparison with SimCity 2013 and SimCity version 1 because the technology is so advanced now that it wouldn't make sense.  Unfortunately, the Maxis team theoretically guided by EA, bit off much more than they could chew.  They were unprepared for the market response on a world-wide basis and failed to place enough adequate servers in the field.  Then they made the mistake of releasing what amounts to a public beta version of the game, loaded with bugs.  We can probably attribute that to insufficient Q.A. and marketing pressure to make a deadline.

The fact is that the current PC 3D technology is incapable to running the kind of game that experience SC4 users expected.  The power just isn't there.  Maxis is pushing the envelope and failed in many aspects.  Forgiveness?  Maybe, but not with all the fuss about DRM and the very expensive nearly empty updates.

I don't have this edition simply because I will not commit to that kind of agreement and the always on-line provisions.  I want a private game.  From what I have seen so far, the updated (fixed?) version that is around right now might be able to hold my attention for a month or six weeks, but once I’ve gotten a handle on the program, I will lose interest pretty quickly.  Looks interesting, and the approach is clearly different.  But I think it is for the 10 to 15 year old set.

What you're saying isn't wrong, but I can also understand the authors and their biases.  They are fans too and were just as disappointed as many of us by this turd of a game.  

For what it's worth, and I can't emphasize this enough, the vision for the game was Maxis' and Maxis' alone.  EA may have introduced time and budgetary pressures, but the game's direction was Maxis' doing.  

Maxis Studio is a direct subsidiary of EA.  Let us not get confused by the creative juices that may have been flowing, EA signs the paycheques.  You'll notice there has been a general bail-out from Maxis.  One wonders whether Ocean and Co. left on their own or were pushed.

Regarding bias:

We all have our opinions so I guess you can say we all have our bias. The problem is some of us are unwilling to accept SC13 because it is not a successor to SC4. IMO they are two completely different games as one focuses on the micro scale and the other one macro. To me, SC13 still feels like a SimCity game, an opinion not shared by others.

However, like most, I was quite disappointed with the game at launch and post-release. This disappointment is amplified by the fact that I was on the Dev. Beta team (and I am in the dev test post-release) and a lot of the bugs and suggestions I pointed out were not fixed for release... Many of them remain unaddressed to this day, including minor issues that could be a simple fix. Most of these bugs have been reported by numerous players and really take away from the game. I am glad that EA is trying to fix the game, as it is better late than never. They could have just abandoned work on the game once they made their money.

Regarding the news section:

We don't create news items for each and every new DLC released for SimCity (2013), so if I were to change the title (of the Red Cross DLC news item I posted) to something more generic it would turn into more of an advertisement rather than a news item intended to create discussion.

Keep in mind I am not undermining the Red Cross one bit, and I do understand that most promotional fundraisers for charities do take a cut. However in my mind this is quite an extreme case. EA will end up making a lot of profit from this whereas most fundraiser event organizers simply want to break even as it is their intention not to promote a charity just to increase the size of their pocketbook. That is just plain wrong IMO. (I actually donate to the Canadian Red Cross on a monthly basis.)

Anyways it is for those reasons why I don't think the title should be changed. Feel free to PM me back if you disagree, I always encourage feedback and constructive criticism. You can also appeal to the webmaster (who approves the news stories).

-Oh and for the other story you linked, the title change was an error on my part. It has been fixed.

First of all, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about SC2013; I understand why you're disappointed and that's fine.

However, this site is also a destination for those who do enjoy the game, and I'm sure Simtropolis wants to provide a home for those fans as well. I think the admins and moderators here have done an excellent job thus far, with possible exception of a certain bias regarding news reporting.

...Keep in mind I am not undermining the Red Cross one bit, and I do understand that most promotional fundraisers for charities do take a cut. However in my mind this is quite an extreme case. EA will end up making a lot of profit from this whereas most fundraiser event organizers simply want to break even as it is their intention not to promote a charity just to increase the size of their pocketbook. That is just plain wrong IMO. (I actually donate to the Canadian Red Cross on a monthly basis.)...

Here I disagree. I understand that charity is a sensitive topic politically (which is why I don't think it should be a point of discussion on a game site in the first place), but I just don't see the problem with Maxis/EA trying to recoup some of their development cost for the DLC. Especially taking the following points into consideration:

• They state up front that some of the money will go towards recouping development costs. In fact, the article states that the Red Cross will be getting "a minimum of eighty percent (80%) of EA’s proceeds"; this means that the actual percentage can end up higher if the development costs are recouped early on.
  • Even if you'd accept that Maxis/EA will take 2 dollars from every purchase, that still means that 8 dollars is going to the Red Cross from a person who might otherwise have donated nothing. Consider if they would have created a DLC called "Sims' Cross" that cost 2 dollars, would you still have a problem with it?

I'll leave it at that; like I said, I don't think a game site is the place to fight over social justice issues.

Just want to pop in here to clarify things a bit. While it is not our desire to limit discussion nor prohibit anyone from making their opinions known, there is a difference in the news item feature and the forums. Headlines and (at least the initial) news items should be objective and correct. It has come up before and hasn't changed that game reviews are not news but some person's or publication's opinion. These types of things are more than welcome to be raised in the forums where discussions related to them can take place. Things like releases or announcements of updates, patches, DLC, etc, and game related events are directly related to the game/community and would be considered 'news'. 

As for what happens after an item is displayed, well, we're not here to say what anyone can or can not say, but whatever it is does need to conform to the rules of the site. Anyone is free to express an opinion in a polite manner. And everyone should keep in mind that there are those that like the game and those that don't and neither should be put down because of either. This is just as true in a news item comments as it is in the forums.

With this in mind, some 'adjustments' have been made in some news items.

Hope this helps clarify things. Thanks.

I just deleted a major rant about this, I decided to make a post that is more coherent instead.  I saw this and was instantly in a blind rage.

First off, if you would like 100% of your money to reach the Red Cross you can do that here, you can do any amount as they will not turn any money down, it will all get used very well and every penny will be loved.  https://www.redcross.org/donate/index.jsp?donateStep=2&scode=RSG00000E017&itemId=prod10001&subcode=paiddonationsbrand&gclid=COi25_z027kCFY6Y4Aod-kEASQ

I just deleted it again.  I am just going to stop here, everything I say just turns into a rant, no matter how I type it, I just cannot say anything good here, about this, I did try...

I will say this, those windows and how they were copied 46 times and that is only what I could count in the photo, it is probably more like 80+ if you count all sides..the exact same window on both buildings on all sides...the same exact window....(I know that was still rantish)  That window makes me so mad, it just represents for me everything wrong with EA/Maxis.  That dagone window...  Why not just take that window and put them randomly on the ground and on the roof and hey, put them on the tents too.  I am so sorry guys, I just, I am sorry I still ended up ranting.  But those windows...

This whole so called "DLC" right here is such bad quality stuff, I wouldn't even download it for use with SimCity 4.  Everything I have would literally make this building look like poo.  If I was to start batting right now, this building is probably about the caliber of content I would create, very cheap looking, very bland and boring and lots of repeated textures and objects.

Okay, okay, I am done that was it, I promise.

Hmm, in my rage I missed the point of this thread and made this post here in error, this post of mine does not belong in this thread.

On topic.  I have absolutely zero problems with bias.  I can form my OWN opinions without being swayed by other people's opinions.  I am not so simple minded that one person expressing their opinion is going to sway my own.  There was a great Dilbert comic strip about this very subject actually.  http://news.yahoo.com/photos/dilbert-slideshow/20130922-dt130922-jpg-photo-050124803.html  Scroll down tot he one from  Wed. Aug. 8th, it is a ways down.

I don't think it is particular bias against SimCity 2013 as against the corporation that would have the cynicsm to release a program in such a sad state of disrepair and expect people to put up with it in this day and age of instant communications.  They are rather infamous for not responding to suggestions, even from qualified testers.

I can hardly believe that they didn't really understand the scope of their undertaking.  All those years of so-called experience was clearly the same year many times over.  A rewind of the series would have been fine, but the use of the highly touted glass box and the idea of agents was either used improperly or both were the wrong tools for the job.  Unlike Alice's red queen, they were unable to run ever so fast to keep up with the times.

Why do I have the feeling that none of these "programmers" ever wrote anything in assembler or really understood the problems of multiprocessing a single program using all the nice toys the hardware guys have so diligently made available.  I have chewed up a box of punched cards and spat out a better program.

Well, I could say we all have our opinions. As for me, I would say I take an approach unlike most others. I prefer Simcity 4 for creating large interconnected cities, and would like to try the new Simcity for micromanagement and a more individual touch to each building. I personally think overall, Maxis took a few steps forward with the removal of the grid and the new engine, but took many steps back concerning city size and other factors. As for the news articles, I would say the 2 reasons they seem biased is because:

1. Simcity 2013 was not well received by the overall public, not just by Simtropolis users.

2. And that Simtropolis has its roots as a fan site for Simcity 4; Cities XL and now Simcity 2013 were recently added.

--Thermaroonday

I can agree that probably the reason why there is so much bias against the game is due to the fact that many members here don't like it, however I also agree that personal opinions should stay out of the news stories regarding the game that are posted on the front page....

I agree with those sentiments.  However, news stories from the regular media are so full of spin it is hard to avoid this particularly bad journalistic habit.  The fourth estate should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree with Oppie that I would prefer less biased new items on the front page. People should be free to discuss their opinions on the forum but I'd rather see the opening page as objective as possible. I think Simtropolis is one of those sites that can and should stife to be better than the low standard we see on other gaming sites. Just because you feel your opinion is very very very true and shared by many others, shouldn't excuse adding bias.

The Red Cross DLC title bothered me a lot personally, because I felt it was undermining a transparent fundraiser by implying something fishy was going on. I did not feel the Red Cross, who agreed to the terms, would be happy with people 'defending' their cause by convincing less people to donate. I had a PM session with it's author Haljackey where I expressed my discomfort with the title. We had a good talk about it, which I appreciated a lot. We both felt strongly about the subject, but took it to a different conclusion. I'm happy to see the topic title changed.

I'd rather see the opening screen of Simtropolis have a "talk about your favorite Simcity (whichever one) and discuss the good and bad of the future of the series" vibe than a "rawr, let's sit here and be moody and angry and feel sorry for ourselves" vibe. I like Simtropolis as a site a lot because it is less angry gaming kids. And to be honest, considering the problems SC2013 faced at launch, it's stil vastly superior to many gaming sites.

I am afraid there are still echoes of all that hype with which the new version was introduced.  When you tell a cock and bull story like that and people swallow it, the truth quite often is quite painful.  In this case, after raising great expectations, the delivered product was sad indeed.  Near as I can tell, not having the game, there are still obvious bugs not fixed.

This is a reprehensible thing for EA/Maxis to continue developing add-ons without fixing the base game.  No  doubt they have a release schedule to keep, and are expecting to cast pearls before swine.  Well, some of the swine have been around  longer than they have.

Sharing with many opinions think Maxis could have avoided all the controversy about this game if it had launched a title as "SimTown" ie a continuation of the project SimsVille canceled and now  upgraded with a hint of new technologies added to a small Model of simulator.

But even with all the time he spent seems that the resistance of those who disagree with the mixture of the two public remained the same, and to prepare the way for this new game the team has committed to something that should have known it was wrong from the beginning

Comparisons with the canceled game made ​​by specialized media in the past year were already good indications of which path EA-Maxis was  taking when try to pass for the mass of fans of the simulator the  vision of  "Reboot Simcity"  as way for aggregate this fans to the buyer market  without them realizing what it really was.

At the end all  tricks ended up running and  the game sold well largely anchored on the desire of those fans of the SimCity title, but now that they know  all the limitations of the new game looks foolish think that it would not generate what the thread calls of "Prejudice' but I think that can really be called "extreme dissatisfaction".

The untimely death of the social aspect of the game thanks to the inability of both the editor as those responsible for coding it that in  purpose, were the first to leave the boat just underscored what everyone had realized from the beginning on the ideas of having Glassbox for smaller and portable game for a wider range of devices

Now with all the badly resolved issues and the Maxxis responsible for the promises to fans outside the studio what remains for the future of the game beyond trying to keep the business plan in flight with new PR tactics and try to repair the negative image that bombed the expected profits with new developments and advertising contracts.

In fact the content of the last package released  looks more like a requiem to close the chapter simcity game giving to buyers of the game a set solutions to most of their problems more stressful, even if unrealistic,

Maybe if significant mass choose to support this solutions can still be time for that editor keep alive  interest to invest more to improve and do really make work the social part, bringing back your initial target audience more interested in this than in the real aspects of simulation,

For a 60 dollar game I would have expected something more than a game that in actualness looks like a (n uncompleted) Facebook game on steroids. Then again, being an Indonesian the price was well off limits to me. After you fill out your city you have no more fun to do, unlike in Simcity 4 where you can simply wander aimlessly staring at your own masterpiece of a region.