Sign in to follow this  
alexandersamual

Issue finding simcity 4 file

Hey guys first off I just want to say thanks for reading. You guys have a wealth of information and I know I can fix this with some guidance. That being said, I downloaded the game from origin. I've been looking at all the awesome mods you guys make and I'm trying to install some but I cannot find the simcity 4 file anywhere. I know it has to be in there somewhere, but all searches turn up nothing. I have a feeling EA made it this way so you can't mod it when downloaded from their website, but I am not sure. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any guidance would be great. Thanks in advance!

I have the original disc version so I do not fully comprehend your problem but I do have PC knowledge.

If I was you, I would open up the "computer" window and select your main drive(on my PC it would be 'C:') once that is now displayed the Search box in the upper right hand corner should by default display "search local disc-whatever drive you selected-"  Now in that box I would type in "plugins" and let the search run.  It should find two plugins folders, one is from the SimCity 4 main directory and path, that is not the one you want, the other one should be located elsewhere, that is the one you want to install your plugins to.

The old disc default path and location of the correct plugins folder is in the c:\users\-your name-\documents\simcity 4\   path but it may be different(possibly) for you, if this is the case every time you have a plugin that has an installer it will by default try to install to this path and every time you try to install something you will have to change the path, or you can install it normally and copy or cut and paste it to your actual correct plugins folder, that should work well either way.

If you are running Linux or Mac though I am at a complete loss, I have zero experience with either one.

Thanks your the fast reply! I took your advice and searched plugins (I do have a PC) and I see 2 plugin folders. One says :C\users\sam\my documents\simcity 4 the other says :C\Program files (x86)\origin games\simcity 4 deluxe edition. I'm guessing the first one is the one I want? The second one has files in it that say background and the first one is empty. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm a mechanic not a computer wiz lol