Sign in to follow this  
1000Vikings

Download issue pt 2 because I'm an idiot

Realized I posted in the newer sim city forum and meant to post my issue on this one.
I apologize...I really wasn't paying attention.

so....anyways, I downloaded some mods a few months back (finally saying something because I don't have a desktop at school so when I visit home I always get to play my games!) and I followed the instructions with putting them in the files and what not but for some reason they just don't...appear correctly. Like they are in the game but the skin is all glitched and doesn't show.

Sorry if this is a repeat of things. New here, i barely go on, and damn I would love if someone could help me figure this out. 

Am I missing something? Or doing it wrong

As z1 stated, please provide more information.  Also for any file you download, make sure you also download any dependencies that are listed with the file.  Usually the listed dependencies are not included and you must download them separately.

Well I'm back up at school now so unfortunately I cannot provide the photos to show my problem.
But like for example, I downloaded a middle school skin. It appears fine in the little preview box on my game but when I put in the lot it doesn't show the middle school and instead part of it but the building is the elementary school. And I downloaded a high school but when I put that in just the lot part shows up but not the actual building.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Hope it does!

What do you mean 'skin'.  If this is a texture, it has to be placed on the model.

When you put a BAT generated lot in your plugins it must include the .sc4lot, .sc4desc, and .sc4model or be consolidated in a .dat.  Because of the way some developers work, the .sc4desc may not be present, but the .sc4model must be there and included in your plugins.

Also, if a lot uses Maxis buildings as props, you'll need these two files:

bldgprop_vol1 (original / vanilla SC4 buildings)

bldgprop_vol2 (Rush Hour buildings)

They're sometimes overlooked by content creators as nonessential files. But in actual fact are quite important. Back in the early days before the BAT, the first generation of lots only contained existing models. These are the Maxis buildings present in the game. So the bldgprop files were heavily relied on for this purpose. But nowadays, more custom props are used as dependencies. There are now fewer re-lots of existing buildings, so it can be quite easy to forget them.

Anyway, enough rambling. To install, just unzip and place them in your plugins folder. It might solve the problem.

P.S. Don't worry about posting in the wrong section, mistakes happen. Nobody's an idiot here. ;)

I thought I downloaded every file needed...maybe not. 
And next time I'll try to remember all the files and the extras. I will try on my laptop...surprisingly it's holding up SC4 pretty well. 

Thanks so much! 
I may or may not have more questions so I'll post back for any updates