Sign in to follow this  
GeometryMath Algebra

Builds an unmodded city and puts back Plugins in, crashes.

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

I've decided to remove my plugins and build a city without mods (because I'm bored. :P), and it's quite an epic failure. :lol::P Eventually, I decided to put back my plugins folder to give the city a massive overhaul.

But once I've loaded the city with the Plugins back, the game crashes instantly after loading. Probably there's a conflict or something in my Plugins folder. Of course, I have the -CPUCount:1 set in my shortcut. Has this happened to anyone who decided to build a vanilla city, then puts back their Plugins folder back and the vanilla city crashes?

Happy SC4'ing!

-Geometry

Do you use mod like the Opera Fix? If yes, this is the problem. In some cases, you may need to demolish some specific buildings before installing a mod. Check their readmes to find them out.

That's right.  Any building that has been replaced or fixed in your plugins must be demolished before reinstalling the plugins.

If you want to try something different try having more than one town in a large tile, treating them as a regional municipality.  Get one into profit, then add another some distance away, and another, etc.

Example:  Township of Buckingham.

IkR1J86.jpg

GeometryMath Algebra    599
  • Original Poster
  • Well, the NAM could also cause the crashing because it increases the capacities of the default stations. As far as I can remember, I plopped several bus stop and a freight station. And also, I have a mod that lets you start off a city with $100,000,000.

That's right.  Any building that has been replaced or fixed in your plugins must be demolished before reinstalling the plugins.

If you want to try something different try having more than one town in a large tile, treating them as a regional municipality.  Get one into profit, then add another some distance away, and another, etc.

Example:  Township of Buckingham.

IkR1J86.jpg

How did you get the scheme? Is that a mod on the STEX or LEX?

I doubt the NAM is causing a conflict. Primarily this is because the mod is designed to be installed over existing games, and until recently the base stats of the default Maxis stations had not been changed. The primary reason, as far as I know, for things like the opera house fix causing crashes is because a proper fix requires a lot replacement with the modded stats. Stations, which do not have sliders, can have their values changed (for the most part) and experience no problems, though typically you have to replop the stations.

However, because of the budget slider that is found in education and health buildings, a different kind of change is needed (IIRC), and thus the opera house fix, when absent from your plugins but present in your cities will cause a crash. I guess (though someone, please chime in here) because the game doesn't know how to treat missing lots. BATs give brown boxes (or RGB smudges if you're familiar with PEG's mod) and props don't show, but lots are stuck on the ground, so I'm assuming the game can't draw them; since lots also contain a given building's statistics it probably creates an exception due to missing game data, and like a puzzle piece over a TE lot, the game crashes.

Also, while I was able to change the stats on certain education buildings by SimGoober and co (as well as the Opera House fix) and not experience crashes, I did (and you will) experience the phantom slider bug if you fail to delete all instances of the old building before you decide to plop a new one in your city (you can't just bulldoze and replop; a full save and exit is needed).