Sign in to follow this  
The Ambassador

Recommend me some plugins

So for a long time I've been playing SimCity 4 with mostly stock content, and it's starting to get boring. I've already got the essentials and fixes like the NAM, but I want to take things further with some additional plugins.

Particularly, I'd like some American Midwest stuff like ranch houses, farms and farming related buildings, small and mid rise commercial businesses, a good terrain mod and tree controller, etc. I don't care about detailing too much. I have looked and found some things like SimGoober's ranch homes, but plugin hunting, dependencies and installing large amounts of content is a real pain. That's the main reason I play without most plugins.

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with this mess, so I can enjoy this great game even more! 

but plugin hunting, dependencies and installing large amounts of content is a real pain. That's the main reason I play without most plugins.

You do realize that with this thread, this is exactly what you're going to get with plugin suggestions. Most really good custom content is going to have a few, if not a list of dependencies to go along with. Better make some popcorn cause custom content comes with a price, and that's patience.

I would start you in the direction of SPAM if you want to start out slower with more of a rural beginning. From there, you'll start to find paths that lead you to similar type content. 

Once you find a certain something, make sure to check through that author/creator's content for similar stuff.  If they have one, they usually have another.

Have fun digging!

There are 17 thousand files on the STEX, and that's only one of several SC4 content websites.  No one could possibly make a list of the best ones in a reasonable amount of time.

Your best bet is to use the "most popular" and "most downloaded" filters in the STEX.  Also search for anything you want specifically.  Take note that the STEX search isn't particularly effective, you're better off using Google ().

As for dependencies, the SC4D LEX has recently installed an automated dependency index system that lists and links dependencies.  The LEX also tells you what you've already downloaded, making your life much easier.  The biggest problem you'll have with older content is that it will call for hundreds of different BSC prop and texture packs.  These have all been merged into the BSC Mega packs.  There are only a handful of texture packs; around a dozen major prop packs.  Once you get them all, you're good to go for a lot of content.

The most important thing to do is keep your Plugins organized.  Especially dependencies.  You need to be able to check whether you have a file or not at a moment's glance.

May the force be with you.  yoda.gif

Farm - SPAM is the newest thing, but there are tons of crops and buildings that you may want to download from people like JBM, Jmyers, BLS, SG, CSX

Commercial- All depends on the style of city you are looking for.  There are tons of those around from people like SG, Jasoncw, etc. Too many

Terrain - CP has good mods

Residentials - MattB325, CP, etc

This is only a handful of creators but I tried to give you the ones with a lot of content. 

If you do not feel like downloading, use the search tool.

The STEX collections have indices, but you still have to choose.  The clue here is to keep an eye on the front page for new stuff, and to limit the stuff you collect to the lots you are going to use now.  "Gee, that's nice, I'll find a use for it." is a trap for the unwary.  Tons of plugins, slow loading, and not much used.

When starting off with new plugins, it can help to test them in a new separate region. Not only does this highlight any issues (such as missing dependencies), but you'll be able to experiment and get accustomed with them. Not all plugins are for everyone, and it can take a while to know which ones are worthwhile. It's quite easy to go on a "downloading spree" and not know afterwards what you've downloaded, and why. It does take time, but will pay off in the long run.

All the best. ;)

It is easy to create a sandbox region.  At the region controls, simply click on create new region, and there you are.  I have one and use it for testing various things and experimenting with some of the features of the NAM I don't feel good with yet.  Sometimes I play in the sandbox for a couple of days when I am trying something out.  You usually find the cat dung if there is any.